HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Engels on MTL press

Old
02-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I have no opinion on Engels either way, nor Tremblay.

I know the organization has been so successful recently that they shouldn't be criticized.
No one said they shouldn't be criticized... the problem is that your brand of criticizism is of a sensationalistic nature and unsupported by facts, it is badly constructed, without logic, and reeks of stupidity.

It is also funny how all of you pop out of the box when the Habs get 3 weeks of bad play but are nowhere to be found in the stretch where the Habs go 74-36-16. Yeah, we should criticize them for going 3-10... when they went 74-36-16 before that... makes a whole lot of sense, especially when we don't know what's going on in the lockeroom.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-19-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Play nice.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:32 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
No one said they shouldn't be criticized... the problem is that your brand of criticizism is of a sensationalistic nature and unsupported by facts, it is badly constructed, without logic, and reeks of stupidity.

It is also funny how all of you pop out of the box when the Habs get 3 weeks of bad play but are nowhere to be found in the stretch where the Habs go 74-36-16. Yeah, we should criticize them for going 3-10... when they went 74-36-16 before that... makes a whole lot of sense, especially when we don't know what's going on in the lockeroom.
Really? When's the last time this organization went passed the 2nd round of the playoffs?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-19-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post.
gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Really? When's the last time this organization went passed the 2nd round of the playoffs?
Do you want a list of all the team that haven't past the 2nd round in the past ten years???

c'mon you make it sound like the Habs are the worse team in the league when in fact they are very decent

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Bretvincent

My theory is that De Foy did this in order to get attention towards their new website. As you know they are on strike, i personally did not even know the website existed before this article was ran but now with this controversy they have put their website on the map and people are gonna notice it, which is needed because they need the attention so they can get a paycheck while they are on strike. Of course, i could be wrong but just a thought

Bretvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
Do you want a list of all the team that haven't past the 2nd round in the past ten years???

c'mon you make it sound like the Habs are the worse team in the league when in fact they are very decent
Oh nozzzz, youz wearing rosse-collorred gllasses!!!!!

Wait he said, I was predictable... but he's even more predictable, he'll say that the list is short. Not realizing that all the GMs that did go further had much better teams to work with when they came in and they also don,t have to deal with the same variables as in Montreal... but that's waaaaay too much common sense for a JC Lajoie wannabe.

Old
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
LOL.... to have a pair of balls is to do the exact opposite. The trendy thing to do nowadays for a journalist is to blast Habs management. That's the norm, and to follow the norm, to be conformed with the norm, doesn't take balls.

To go against the grain, that takes balls.

A lot of people here whine and complain, and that's the norm. Those I consider to have balls are those who base their opinion on facts, not those who AUTOMATICALLY go against management everytime there is some detail that goes wrong. In fact, to do that, you neither need a brain nor balls.

Oh and BTW, Engels doesn't fawn over every move, he criticized certain moves. The difference is, he uses his brains and sees both sides of one issue, unlike some people, who can only do one thing... complain complain complain. It doesn,t take balls to do that... in case you thought yuo had balls because you did just that.
Hah, Engels criticises moves? If a player gets sent down that player was garbage and wasn't needed in the first place. Every move Gainey makes is brilliant and leading the habs to glory.

If you don't agree with Gainey you are a whiner! How dare you doubt Gainey, he made a trade for Neweindyk 13 years ago and it was amazing, he is the best GM in the league!

Nice try but the same old cheerleading is wearing thin.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Hah, Engels criticises moves? If a player gets sent down that player was garbage and wasn't needed in the first place. Every move Gainey makes is brilliant and leading the habs to glory.

If you don't agree with Gainey you are a whiner! How dare you doubt Gainey, he made a trade for Neweindyk 13 years ago and it was amazing, he is the best GM in the league!

Nice try but the same old cheerleading is wearing thin.

You really haven't read Engel's articles. Go read all his blogs from last season. You'll find many times where he criticizes Gainey. The only difference is, he doesn't do it for idiotic reasons. He's capable of seeing when it is a good or bad move. Something you and Nittany are absolutely incapable of.

The same old whinning ran thin a long time ago, bro, wake up. is all you can do.

Old
02-19-2009, 03:56 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
You really haven't read Engel's articles. Go read all his blogs from last season. You'll find many times where he criticizes Gainey. The only difference is, he doesn't do it for idiotic reasons. He's capable of seeing when it is a good or bad move. Something you and Nittany are absolutely incapable of.

The same old whinning ran thin a long time ago, bro, wake up. is all you can do.
Nah like I said if I wanted to read Engels blogs I will just read press releases by the Habs. He adds absolutly nothing new to the dicussion, might aswell be talking to Gaineys lap dog.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-19-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Play nice.
Old
02-19-2009, 04:03 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Nah like I said if I wanted to read Engels blogs I will just read press releases by the Habs. He adds absolutly nothing new to the dicussion, might aswell be talking to Gaineys lap dog.
How can you claim he always sides with management if you don't read him? Something doesn't make sense here.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-19-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post.
jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:05 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
How can you claim he always sides with management if you don't read him? Something doesn't make sense here.
I read him last couple years and all he did was side with management. Through the whole Perezhogin/Samsonov/Kovalev debacle he does nothing but badmouth the players and praise Carbo and Gainey. It's sickening.

Old
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Those are the 12 teams that went further than the second round since Gainey took office. Considering 1 or 2 teams in that list were in as worst a position as the Habs were when Gainey took the Habs, it really isn't bad. Considering that the Wings had their team already up there, the Flames had already Kipprusoff and Iginla, the Lightning had been drafting high for years before 2004, same with Pittsburg, the Senators were already up there for a couple of years and took them A LOT of time before they even reached the finals, the Stars already had their pieces in place in 2004 (a lot were from Gainey)... I'd say your criticism is exagerated. Look at the Wings, it took over 20 years to get out of the gutter, and even then, it took them 5 years before winning the cup (between 1991 and 1996). Gainey took them out of the gutters in 5 years. We just need to be patient a little more and they should be great. For sure he isn't perfect, but no GM is perfect, they all do great moves and not so great moves.

Flyers 04-08
Flames 04
Sharks 04
Lightning 04
Sabres 06-07
Oilers 06
Ducks 06-07
Canes 06
Wings 07-08
Senators 07
Penguins 08
Stars 08

Old
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
what the hell is wrong with a guy writing an opinion ? Should he patiently sit around until 2039 for validity. I love it now. A guy writes some crap on a blog, then someone, always goes, 'who is he anyways' Often they add, 'and why should I care'

There are issues in what is fair to print. If guys on the team are running wild, it's hard for a journalist to gauge degree, you need repeated access.

If a guy runs a story about something said, usually a concrete source should be lined up. There were valid questions about how Defoy's info came to be.

This is a guy , Engels, who is trying to make it in the hockey media and is running opinion pieces where he can. What the f is the matter with that ?
Nothing. Except it's a joke when people are giving him higher esteem than DeFoy.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Nah like I said if I wanted to read Engels blogs I will just read press releases by the Habs. He adds absolutly nothing new to the dicussion, might aswell be talking to Gaineys lap dog. Kinda like me talking to you.
Quote:
I read him last couple years and all he did was side with management. Through the whole Perezhogin/Samsonov/Kovalev debacle he does nothing but badmouth the players and praise Carbo and Gainey. It's sickening.
I started reading him last year, and he really wasn't siding with management all the time.

Also, for Perezhogin, where's the blame? He never pan out, and his play in the RSL and KHL doesn't equal paning out in the NHL... Samsonov.. everybody thought Samsonov would be good, he had just played a good role in the Oilers going to the finals... I guess you must have a crystal ball... and as for Kovalev.. hmmm, didn't Kovalev have a really great season last year after Gainey had a talk with him?

Yeah lap dog, that's cute. Can't come up with anything better? Ain't surprising. Except you've had your ass handed to you many times here on the board by many posters. So I think the more appropriate analogy is someone with a level-headed opinion (me) talking to a media parrot.

The media parrots are the ones who are sickening, because they can't form nor back-up their "opinions" for the simple reason that they repeat everything they hear from the media... and we all know how negative the media is. So if you wanna spot a parrot of the media, look for someone who is negative towards the Habs, and who can't back up his "opinion" and when challenged to back-up his opinions, the parrot will bleet out inanities like "rose colored glasses bwack!!" "cheerleading bwack!!".

Old
02-19-2009, 04:24 PM
justsomeguy

Do not know and have never read Engels so it'd be awfully silly of me to comment on him and his work.

I have met Marc Defoy on numerous occasions and have read him regularly for many years. A pleasant and knowlwdgeable man, he strikes me as a competent professional, not someone out to make a rep at someone else's expense. Not given to overblown rhetoric or wild claims from what I remember.

justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Those are the 12 teams that went further than the second round since Gainey took office. Considering 1 or 2 teams in that list were in as worst a position as the Habs were when Gainey took the Habs, it really isn't bad. Considering that the Wings had their team already up there, the Flames had already Kipprusoff and Iginla, the Lightning had been drafting high for years before 2004, same with Pittsburg, the Senators were already up there for a couple of years and took them A LOT of time before they even reached the finals, the Stars already had their pieces in place in 2004 (a lot were from Gainey)... I'd say your criticism is exagerated. Look at the Wings, it took over 20 years to get out of the gutter, and even then, it took them 5 years before winning the cup (between 1991 and 1996). Gainey took them out of the gutters in 5 years. We just need to be patient a little more and they should be great. For sure he isn't perfect, but no GM is perfect, they all do great moves and not so great moves.

Flyers 04-08
Flames 04
Sharks 04
Lightning 04
Sabres 06-07
Oilers 06
Ducks 06-07
Canes 06
Wings 07-08
Senators 07
Penguins 08
Stars 08
So we've been mediocre since Gainey has been here? Over a 1/3 of the teams have had more success.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Engels wrote an article about the frenzy of th elast few days. I read one article. He thought that some things were unprofessional. He was editorializing, not reporting. I didn't see anything realted to language in his article.
Yea but what's the point of Engels "pilling on"? He doesn't say anything that any posters here couldn't have said. He act like a zombie basicaly saying "it's a circus, TSN contacted Kovy, etc...". Like if Defoy would have contacted Kovalev he would have said something other than "I didn't say that".

Old
02-19-2009, 04:31 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Nothing. Except it's a joke when people are giving him higher esteem than DeFoy.
no one is saying anyone deserves more respect than someone else, well if they are that's their own issue. In this case, he went with info that came from an 'I spoke to Alex and ' type of source. It doesn't say he isn't a good writer, fair minded, but going with a freind of Kovy or the Russian press doesn't seem like a good thing to do. It seems like there's race to get players as fast as they can.

justsomeguy, you've interviewed many players from past eras, I asume you've met journalists as well, whatever dirt there is on players isn't new. Bad behaviour wasn't just invented. The race to report it seems to be getting more prevalent though.

Kimota, as far as esteem, one guy wrote an article editorializing about what he sees as attack media. That has nothing to do with reputation but opinion as to how everyone has gone about their business this week.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
So we've been mediocre since Gainey has been here? Over a 1/3 of the teams have had more success.
Are you actually dumb enough to ignore that ""the Wings had their team already up there, the Flames had already Kipprusoff and Iginla, the Lightning had been drafting high for years before 2004, same with Pittsburg, the Senators were already up there for a couple of years and took them A LOT of time before they even reached the finals, the Stars already had their pieces in place in 2004 (a lot were from Gainey)""?

The team Gainey inherited was mediocre, in the span of 4 years he transformed it into a quick young team that will aspire to go further year after year.

Oh right I forgot, you specialize in making blank statements without proper critical analysis (probably because a part of the word analysis calls too close to home in your case) so that you can repeat your empty drivel ad nauseum.

Find a new hobby, Rej, you're the joke around here.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 02-19-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old
02-19-2009, 04:33 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Yea but what's the point of Engels "pilling on"? He doesn't say anything that any posters here couldn't have said. He act like a zombie basicaly saying "it's a circus, TSN contacted Kovy, etc...". Like if Defoy would have contacted Kovalev he would have said something other than "I didn't say that".
I don't see th erealtion. Engels is a blogger and a guy making his way around covering the team. He offered his opinion about what he saw.

I haven't followed everything, did Defoy go to Kovalev for his comments or confirmation ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I don't see th erealtion. Engels is a blogger and a guy making his way around covering the team. He offered his opinion about what he saw.

I haven't followed everything, did Defoy go to Kovalev for his comments or confirmation ?
Probably not. But would that have served?

Old
02-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Probably not. But would that have served?
Professionalism!!!!

Not sensationalism.

Old
02-19-2009, 05:16 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
I really can't stand Bob Gainey right now. Him of all people should know to deal with things in Montreal in private. This **** storm is to be expected when a move like this is made there, and its overall effect can't be positive.
It's funny how we've been complaining about his extended vacation, not saying anything about the slump, not promising us a step in the right direction...then...BAM! he drops this huge bomb. I think it's his cunning that drive him to do it like he did. He knows that Kovy has a lot of pride and he knows what it takes to get players going. He might have felt that Carbo cutting his ice time or even potentially benching him was useless, that there needed to be this much attention and bs and mudslinging and hearsay. Maybe this is the only thing that will revitalize Alex Kovalev and have a phoenix rise from his ashes. Bob will do anything to make this team win. Whatever it takes. Maybe this will have been it. Let's see...

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:20 PM
habtastic

Engels and his bro were on my pee-wee team...just putting it out there.

Discuss!!!

Old
02-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Quiet Robert

Engels is just using the press to further accentuate class conflicts and start the proletarian revolution.

Typical communist strategies.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Engels is just using the press to further accentuate class conflicts and start the proletarian revolution.

Typical communist strategies.
Are you calling him a pinko commie? Cuz he can commie out you back. Doesn't that negate it? Sociological particle physics...intense.