RUMOR: TSN says JVR for Lehtonen is a strong possibility

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Lux Aurumque*

vCash: 500
RUMOR: TSN says JVR for Lehtonen is a strong possibility

Quote:
No. 3 - Philadelphia prospect James van Riemsdyk. The University of New Hampshire forward, picked second in 2007, has been linked to Atlanta in a deal that would see a goalie going to the Flyers.

No. 2 - Thrashers goalie Kari Lehtonen is of interest to the Flyers. If Atlanta GM Don Waddell continues to rebuild, swapping Lehtonen for a prospect such as Van Riemsdyk would have to be seriously considered.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2677...=headlines_nhl

If Waddell can pull this off, then he officially deserves a status as a decent GM.

Old
02-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Boognish

Just what this team needs. Another guy who was great in college. Jim Slater, anyone?

Old
02-19-2009, 04:33 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
Just what this team needs. Another guy who was great in college. Jim Slater, anyone?
Seriously? JVR is a beast. With Pavelec, I think this would be a great deal for you guys.

Old
02-19-2009, 04:34 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Thanks, but no thanks. I'm happy with Lehtonen.

Old
02-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
If you're using former collegiate players, I would venture to say JVR is much closer to Heatley than Slater.

Old
02-19-2009, 04:39 PM
flerd_trandle

JVR looks like he's going to be a real good one, but with this move you are definitely saying that this team is on the long rebuild and that Kovalchuk will have to go elsewhere if he wants to win anytime soon. This would be the precursor to Kovalchuk leaving.

Old
02-19-2009, 04:44 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
this is a stupid stupid stupid idea. NO WAY!

Old
02-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
JVR looks like he's going to be a real good one, but with this move you are definitely saying that this team is on the long rebuild and that Kovalchuk will have to go elsewhere if he wants to win anytime soon. This would be the precursor to Kovalchuk leaving.
I was under the impression that Pavelec could start carrying the load soon. Adding JVR while (in theory) still having a young #1 would seem like a more than viable approach to becoming competitive. If anything Kovalchuk possibly leaving would be more reason to add a guy like JVR.

Old
02-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Whaddagoal

I can't speak for JVR too much, but I don't see the need to throw Lehtonen out the door, and more to the point, there is no one ready to replace him as a starter.

Despite all the fanfare that was going on around here during the first quarter of the season, Pavelec is by no means ready to fill the void that Lehtonen will create if he is dealt elsewhere.

Will Pavelec be capable to full that in time....a strong possibility.... but every indication from Ondrej's play earlier in this NHL season screams NO, or at least not yet. No matter how you sugar coat it, to me, Pavelec is not capable of filling that void at this given moment in time. It's fine to say that he has a huge upside and could pan out better than Lehtonen in the long run....... but he's not there YET. I'm not even saying he won't pan out better.

As mentioned above, what kind of message do you send to the team, Kovalchuk in particular, by saying - "well, lets get back ot the drawing board and go with Pavelec, and see how it goes for the next few seasons [cross-fingers], see if he pans out to be a real star"

As for JVR.......he's still in college...... giving away Lethonen, a proven, still young, upper tier goalie talent for an unproven pick (even if he's touted)? Lehtonen has his faults, but when he's healthy and on his game, he is more than good. I know this is HFBoards, but saying that JVR is worth Kari Lehtonen, at this point in time, is a headscratcher to me...

Old
02-19-2009, 05:17 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

dont do this Lehtonen is amazing

Old
02-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaddagoal View Post
As for JVR.......he's still in college...... giving away Lethonen, a proven, still young, upper tier goalie talent for an unproven pick (even if he's touted)? Lehtonen has his faults, but when he's healthy and on his game, he is more than good. I know this is HFBoards, but saying that JVR is worth Kari Lehtonen, at this point in time, is a headscratcher to me...
It's not quite on the level of drafting DiPietro and trading Luongo/Jokinen for Parrish/Kvasha, but it seems an interesting idea from your guy's standpoint at least. Can't say I caught too many games with Pavelec, so your opinion is much more educated than mine.

I guess the general idea would be similar to if Columbus could trade Pascal Leclaire for JVR and still have Steve Mason in nets. But like you said, Pavelec hasn't proven anything at an NHL level yet so it might be premature to put everything on his shoulders.

Old
02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
Thanks, but no thanks. I'm happy with Lehtonen.
Remember, he only signed a one-year deal, so either way, he's a Free Agent come July. While he will be an RFA, he's definitely going to be demanding more than the $3 million he signed for this season.

Another thing to look at is that we have a number of players (mostly those on two-way deals) who will be RFAs come July (Lehtonen and Armstrong being the biggest ones). We also have Havelid, Perrin, and Reasoner becoming UFAs come July. Some of these guys will be re-signed, and for the RFAs, some of these will be significantly higher than what their current deals are.

There are going to be some serviceable netminders on the market come July that could probably be signed for less than what the Thrashers paid Lehtonen this season (and what he could be asking for in the off-season) Perhaps the Thrashers would pursue someone like Tim Thomas, Andrew Raycroft, Ty Conklin, or Scott Clemmensen.

I'd give Pavelic another season in Chicago or package Hedberg in a deal in the offseason, and ease Pavelic into the starter role.

One other thing to factor in is that both Niittymaki and Biron are UFAs come July 1st. The Flyers aren't guaranteed to be able to re-sign one or both. With Kari being an RFA, teams will be less likely to try to sign him as they would most likely have to give multiple picks that will definitely include a first round pick, and depending on the compensation table for this off-season (and based off of the last few seasons), a third and possibly a second as well. It may be cheaper for Philly to made this deal and in the off-season, re-sign Kari than to get into a bidding war for Niittymaki and/or Biron. In addition, if this deal happens, I would not be surprised to see one of the current netminders get packaged in a deal at the deadline.

Old
02-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Georgia Dawg

Do it.

As much as I like Lehtonen and would like to see him succeed in Atlanta, this could be good for Atlanta. He has been brilliant at times and can be a #1 goalie in this league if he stays healthy. That is my biggest issue with him. He is fragile. Every year he misses chunks of games for health issues. Trade him and try to pick up a goalie in FA.

Old
02-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
Do it.

As much as I like Lehtonen and would like to see him succeed in Atlanta, this could be good for Atlanta. He has been brilliant at times and can be a #1 goalie in this league if he stays healthy. That is my biggest issue with him. He is fragile. Every year he misses chunks of games for health issues. Trade him and try to pick up a goalie in FA.
This.

Lehtonen has also shown himself to be mentally weak. He loses his confidence VERY easily. This is one aspect of the game in which Pavelec has already shown himself to be superior.

Plus, imagine adding JVR to our pool of prospects, and then adding Tavares/Hedman on top of that. Whether Kovalchuk stays or not, we'd be in position to be a VERY good team in a few years.

Old
02-19-2009, 08:01 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

we lose lehtonen we lose period no goalie on this team is as good as kari

lol i would hate to see pav get lit up for 5 goals a night and hedberg for like 7

Old
02-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post

lol i would hate to see pav get lit up for 5 goals a night and hedberg for like 7
We are already losing. We have the 2nd worst record in the league. Does not do much good if you are the best goalie on the team and miss 20+ games a year b/c of injury.

Old
02-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post

So wrong.

Pavelec will be better than Lehtonen when he becomes a starter in the NHL. You'll see for yourself next year.

Plus, JVR > Lehtonen

Old
02-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaddagoal View Post
I can't speak for JVR too much, but I don't see the need to throw Lehtonen out the door, and more to the point, there is no one ready to replace him as a starter.

Despite all the fanfare that was going on around here during the first quarter of the season, Pavelec is by no means ready to fill the void that Lehtonen will create if he is dealt elsewhere.

Will Pavelec be capable to full that in time....a strong possibility.... but every indication from Ondrej's play earlier in this NHL season screams NO, or at least not yet. No matter how you sugar coat it, to me, Pavelec is not capable of filling that void at this given moment in time. It's fine to say that he has a huge upside and could pan out better than Lehtonen in the long run....... but he's not there YET. I'm not even saying he won't pan out better.

As mentioned above, what kind of message do you send to the team, Kovalchuk in particular, by saying - "well, lets get back ot the drawing board and go with Pavelec, and see how it goes for the next few seasons [cross-fingers], see if he pans out to be a real star"

I agree with these comments but in defence of Pavelec earlier in the season, Enstrom, Bogosian, Schneider struggled badly and I don't think Lehtonen would of done that much better if you've got half your teams defense playing poorly in front of you.

My thoughts on JVR for Lehtonen trade is that I would see if DW can get a deal done involving Pavelec and a pick before offering Lehtonen. If Philly was insistent on Kari being involved, I would probably do the trade straight up.

The mains reasons are lack of scoring prospects in the minors and with Kozlov nearing the end of his career, JVR would be a good ready made replacement in a year or two. I am also comfortable in the fact that I've seen enough of Pavelec this season (as long with a very good grounding in the AHL)to suggest that he will be good enough to make it in the NHL. Whether he has Kari's all star potential is still to be determined.

Old
02-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Ashe

Unless they are giving us Nitty and a first back. Screw it.
Im much happier paying lehts another 3.5 million for a year til Pav's is ready. He isnt this upcoming year. He blew up here, He blows in the AHL this year.

So we lose Lehtonen and gain a prospect. And we are stuck with Pav's/Hedberg(Who after the LA game, doesnt deserve to even be up in the NHL).

Your right, We lose lehtonen for 20 games, But would you rather be stuck with a combo of Pav's/Hedberg again all year?
Our Defence is going to be even YOUNGER next year, And i'd rather have someone who can steal a game right now, Then go through another heartbreaking like the first half of the season. We are on a rebuild, dont throw in a goalie and make us lose even more fans in the stadium.

Old
02-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Georgia Dawg

The fact is that we have been losing with Lehtonen for years. YEARS. How long has he been our goalie? How many times have we been in playoffs? He has proven that he is a very good goalie at times that gets hurt every year. I know you can not blame him for our sorriness, but he has been a part of it. I say that we go after a goalie in FA. I do not think Pavs is ready and Hedberg is not a #1 obviously, but we are not getting anywhere with Lehtonen. Maybe we can keep him and get some pieces from FA and some of our minor league players step up next year. That would be ideal, but unlikely.

Old
02-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Ashe

Who for a FA goalie will come here?
Actually wait; WHO will our awesome legal battle allow us to sign? Who Will our GM actually go try and sign?
We won't get a goalie. I'm safer with a guy going into his great years, then signing some aged FA goalie who has no idea what to expect coming here.
Who do we get? Biron? Flyers play physical and score goals, Thrashers, do neither.
Minni's goalie? Hello defensive system.
Take Lehts on, Give pav's time in the AHL, when lehts hurts himself again, Bring Pav's up, get him to start and see what we go and do. If he hasnt improved his game and (Come on, his call up this year was the reason a lot of us dropped off the pav's train as the 'goalie of the future' as he showed he wasnt ready) still sucks like he showed up here, we go for a hopefully stronger FA class, and hope our legal battle clears up.

Old
02-19-2009, 09:58 PM
fatschoonerrat

I'd definitely think about it. I mean we're not going to turn this thing around in a year. I'd rather be a solid playoff team in '11, '12, '13, '14 and '15 than get swept again by the Rangers next year, if you know what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq1XIwykvJ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSsNtjiIIjs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HFh_7COUoI

Old
02-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Capa*

O MAN! JVR a Thrashers>?!?! holy crap that would be amazing!...Although I agree with what alot of people have said already...Without Kari we simply just DONT make the playoffs or even have respectable years for the next half a decade. Pavs just isnt what we thought he was going to be (a younger Lehts thats not injury prone) and Hedberg cant even play as a back up anymore....I dunno what to do.. to be honest ill be happy if we do or dont do this.

But to all the people that dont think JVR is the real deal... you best be doing more research cuz that kid is gonna put mad numbers up.

Old
02-20-2009, 09:50 AM
The Sneak

You have to give something up to get a talent like JVR. It'll sting to give up a Lehtonen but I make this move. Van Riemsdyk is exactly the type of player this organization needs. A top line talent we've been sorely lacking. As mentioned above. Slotting him in with a top 2 pick and potentially an Esposito gives us some nice options in the near term.

Why would we do this?

Dealing from a position of strength. Pavelec is knocking on the door and has already showed his arse once about getting his opportunity. Clears a log jam and saves the team money. Also mentioned above is that there is a rich crop of goalie free agents, including the Philly duo, to provide a safety net if Pavelec cannot answer the bell.

Old
02-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Capa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
You have to give something up to get a talent like JVR. It'll sting to give up a Lehtonen but I make this move. Van Riemsdyk is exactly the type of player this organization needs. A top line talent we've been sorely lacking. As mentioned above. Slotting him in with a top 2 pick and potentially an Esposito gives us some nice options in the near term.

Why would we do this?

Dealing from a position of strength. Pavelec is knocking on the door and has already showed his arse once about getting his opportunity. Clears a log jam and saves the team money. Also mentioned above is that there is a rich crop of goalie free agents, including the Philly duo, to provide a safety net if Pavelec cannot answer the bell.
im not sure if youve noticed but noone ever wants to sign here...we CANNOT bank on ANY FA coming to the ATL

Closed Thread