RUMOR: TSN says JVR for Lehtonen is a strong possibility

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Boognish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Seriously? JVR is a beast. With Pavelec, I think this would be a great deal for you guys.
Yes. Seriously.

I sat through 7 years of sh!tty goaltending down at Philips. No matter that you put on the ice, bad goaltending makes it worse. DW caught untold rashers of grief for not building from back forward and trading the only real goalie this team has had in it's existence is not a good idea. Pavelec is not ready to take over yet and throwing him in the net now will make for just one more thing this team has to fix on it's already long road to respectability. Pavelec is going to have his confidence shattered in front of the porous defense the Thrashers have.

Good as Van Riemsdyk may be, he's got zero NHL experience. Just like Patrik Stefan ("A boy among men", they sad; "He 's the most NHL ready player in years"). Trading NHL players in their prime for prospects is a desperate move and I think we're all in agreement on how the last act of desperation worked for this team. Oddly enough, also involving the Phlyers.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Magnus Fulgur

I'd do
Let 'Em In and
Have A Goal

for
Biron
JVR
Jones

but I'd rather stick with our IKEA Twin and Flabby Finn.

Old
02-20-2009, 02:54 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capa View Post
im not sure if youve noticed but noone ever wants to sign here...we CANNOT bank on ANY FA coming to the ATL
If we make this deal and get JVR and hopefully draft Tavares or Hedman, that could definitely make some free agents think about giving Atlanta the time of day. This also could help cement Kovy staying with the team long-term. By July, some of the nagging issues (like the Belkin issue) will be settled, so there will definitely be an idea on how much the ownership will be willing to spend.

Sometimes you have to make some calls that may not be popular with the fans. Trading Lehtonen would definitely be one of those. While he is an RFA, the Thrashers may not be able to sign him to a long-term deal at $3.5-4+ million a year. Sure they could risk him signing with another team and getting some draft picks for 2010 in return, but they would still have to sign someone, as Moose and Pavs as our goaltending tandem is scary to think about.

Old
02-20-2009, 03:07 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

if Lehtonen is traded i might stop watching the Thrashers until Waddle is fired. This team needs to get better not worse and trading away one of the best goalies in the NHL for trash is throwing away a franchise.

Old
02-20-2009, 03:15 PM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
if Lehtonen is traded i might stop watching the Thrashers until Waddle is fired. This team needs to get better not worse and trading away one of the best goalies in the NHL for trash is throwing away a franchise.
Trading Lehts for JVR isn't trading him for trash, but it is absolutely saying that the franchise is beginning another Five-Year PlanTM.

Old
02-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
That would be an awesome move for the Thrashers. Lehtonen may never reach his full potential and Pavelec needs to be in the NHL getting starts.

I say no way that this would trigger a long term rebuild. If anything, getting an NHL ready prospect like JVR that has been developed by a team that could afford to be patient with him would be just what the doctor ordered for the Thrash it seems.

JVR, Pavelec, this year's draft selection, Kovalchuk, Little, Valabik, etc. would be a hell of a start for a team to compete almost immediately. Sign a free agent goaltender capable of splitting starts with Pavelec and run wild.

Old
02-20-2009, 03:23 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

If us idiots trade Kari, the team who recieves him, most likely the Flyers, automatically go to the Stanley Cup and probably win it. I might go and bank on this and bet games if this happens, ill be a millionaire.

Old
02-20-2009, 03:24 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
That would be an awesome move for the Thrashers. Lehtonen may never reach his full potential and Pavelec needs to be in the NHL getting starts.

I say no way that this would trigger a long term rebuild. If anything, getting an NHL ready prospect like JVR that has been developed by a team that could afford to be patient with him would be just what the doctor ordered for the Thrash it seems.

JVR, Pavelec, this year's draft selection, Kovalchuk, Little, Valabik, etc. would be a hell of a start for a team to compete almost immediately. Sign a free agent goaltender capable of splitting starts with Pavelec and run wild.
Hedberg has one more year left on his contract and is considered by the team and management to be the heart and soul of the group. If we ship off Lehtonen, we're stuck with a Pavelec/Hedberg combo.

Old
02-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
Trading Lehts for JVR isn't trading him for trash, but it is absolutely saying that the franchise is beginning another Five-Year PlanTM.
We started another 5 year plan last season when we had to trade Hossa. We were one of the oldest teams in the NHL and we were missing the playoffs (again). There's no future when you have a team that old.

Only Don Waddell can't say that. So he didn't trade Holik because we were "contending"--when in fact we were actually re-building after that one playoff appearance.

The team will likely always spend less than Detroit, Philly, etc. If that assumption is true we MUST have a disproportionately young and cheap team to contend for a cup. We must become Buffalo south or Chicago south. We're still not there yet.

I'd be willing to trade our 25-26 year old talents (Kovalchuk, Lehtonen) for great 18 and 20 year old talents. In the long run that's how you assemble a broad base of elite level talent that will mature at the same time.

I want to see the Stanley Cup in Atlanta, and that's what it will take to contend in my opinion.

Old
02-20-2009, 03:56 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
We started another 5 year plan last season when we had to trade Hossa. We were one of the oldest teams in the NHL and we were missing the playoffs (again). There's no future when you have a team that old.

Only Don Waddell can't say that. So he didn't trade Holik because we were "contending"--when in fact we were actually re-building after that one playoff appearance.

The team will likely always spend less than Detroit, Philly, etc. If that assumption is true we MUST have a disproportionately young and cheap team to contend for a cup. We must become Buffalo south or Chicago south. We're still not there yet.

I'd be willing to trade our 25-26 year old talents (Kovalchuk, Lehtonen) for great 18 and 20 year old talents. In the long run that's how you assemble a broad base of elite level talent that will mature at the same time.

I want to see the Stanley Cup in Atlanta, and that's what it will take to contend in my opinion.

Your too desperate. Any other GM here makes this team good. The fault is Waddel. When will this ****ing ******** realize he is an idiot. Its so annoying.

Look at the Falcons, we need defense. We WILL sign Haynesworth well maybe not cause hes overpaid but we will sign defensive players and make moves to help us. Thats called great GM.

Look at Thrashers, we need a lot of things. We WONT do anything. Thats called horrible GM.

Last edited by John Cena*: 02-20-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old
02-20-2009, 04:15 PM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post

Wouldn't this only work if the trades are two-for-one or three-for-one? Trading our 25-year-olds for 18-year-olds on a one for one basis maintains the status quo, unless the drafting improves.

Old
02-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
Wouldn't this only work if the trades are two-for-one or three-for-one? Trading our 25-year-olds for 18-year-olds on a one for one basis maintains the status quo, unless the drafting improves.
2 for 1 would help I suppose, but the key is getting your talent core to enter their peak years (25-30) about the same time. You can then supplement that core with some experienced veterans.

But your window is narrow--very quickly those core players will hit their UFA years and now you're paying full price. Players who are good enough to play on your PP are super valuable. They make more on their 2nd contract and usually by their 3rd contract they are close to UFA market price.

If they think something special is developing in Atlanta you might get a couple to give you a home team discount, but you can't count on that.

Old
02-20-2009, 04:47 PM
fatschoonerrat

I wonder what AtlantaSportsFan thinks about this.

Old
02-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Ashe

ASF Its NOT all waddel's fault. Our legal battle (Which im guaranteeing will not be over by July). Our Management handcuffs the team to make us not spend cash, til this stupid ownership issue is over. He has done fairly well considering what he has had to contend with.

Bring up the Coburn **** all you want. He was not happy in ATL, and Hart's didnt want him up here. He had an attitude problem with us, so we got what we could for. a guy who helped us down the stretch. The problem was signing him.

He traded Schneider for a few picks. Which thankfully i am fine with to get our youngsters going. I think leht's has looked BETTER this year with the young guys in frnot of him. IT's telling him You are the guy to go to, now save us the game (As the phoenix game proved) Without Leht's that game was over after the first.

Trading a guy who keeps our team in games for a youngster struggling means we're into another 5 year rebuild plan, and not a 2-3 year that it should be to get us back into the playoffs.

Old
02-20-2009, 06:56 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

i just dont see us trading Kari. Hes too good to lose. I mean you all might think im some sort of die hard homo for Lehtonen fan but im not. I just dont think JVR is or will be that good. I live in Philly and all Flyers fan i know never mention him and dont even care if he is called up anytime soon for their future, they love Claude Giroux.

Now if the trade was like Briere and JVR for Lehtonen and (1 or 2 players) than i might take it into consideration. Even then i still wouldnt be confident cause we would have a horrible goalie and an unproven backup youngster.

Old
02-20-2009, 09:35 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
ASF Its NOT all waddel's fault. Our legal battle (Which im guaranteeing will not be over by July). Our Management handcuffs the team to make us not spend cash, til this stupid ownership issue is over. He has done fairly well considering what he has had to contend with.

Bring up the Coburn **** all you want. He was not happy in ATL, and Hart's didnt want him up here. He had an attitude problem with us, so we got what we could for. a guy who helped us down the stretch. The problem was signing him.

He traded Schneider for a few picks. Which thankfully i am fine with to get our youngsters going. I think leht's has looked BETTER this year with the young guys in frnot of him. IT's telling him You are the guy to go to, now save us the game (As the phoenix game proved) Without Leht's that game was over after the first.

Trading a guy who keeps our team in games for a youngster struggling means we're into another 5 year rebuild plan, and not a 2-3 year that it should be to get us back into the playoffs.
Right there. Pavelec was good, but not ready for the big show good. Kari is really the only reason we've won half as many games as we have- trading him sets us back big time, so we better be getting another gamechanger or have another starting goalie signed.

Old
02-20-2009, 10:22 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Firesale guys. Trust me its going to be the best thing you can do is to get youth and talent up front and in the back on defense. Its going to take a little work, but I think Kovi will stay based on that alone. He just wants to see progress

Old
02-21-2009, 03:55 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
i just dont see us trading Kari. Hes too good to lose. I mean you all might think im some sort of die hard homo for Lehtonen fan but im not. I just dont think JVR is or will be that good. I live in Philly and all Flyers fan i know never mention him and dont even care if he is called up anytime soon for their future, they love Claude Giroux.

Now if the trade was like Briere and JVR for Lehtonen and (1 or 2 players) than i might take it into consideration. Even then i still wouldnt be confident cause we would have a horrible goalie and an unproven backup youngster.
Maybe they don't care about that because he can't be called up? He's playing in college, not the AHL.

If you don't think that JVR is going to be a great player, then I don't know what alternate universe you're living in. JVR has the potential to be better than every single player on this team.

Old
02-21-2009, 10:18 AM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
Maybe they don't care about that because he can't be called up? He's playing in college, not the AHL.

If you don't think that JVR is going to be a great player, then I don't know what alternate universe you're living in. JVR has the potential to be better than every single player on this team.
ok, i know he should be pretty good... but come on.... now you're pushing it. i really dont think he has the potential to be better than kovalchuk lol

Old
02-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Capa*

lol there is a ZERO percent chance h becomes as good or better than koval lux

Old
02-21-2009, 12:50 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Can you explain why he is not dominating in the NCAA's if he is that good.

There are several sophomores, and 1 freshman, who are outscoring him right now.

JVR is going to be a good winger in the NHL, but he is not going to be a superstar.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Firesale guys. Trust me its going to be the best thing you can do is to get youth and talent up front and in the back on defense. Its going to take a little work, but I think Kovi will stay based on that alone. He just wants to see progress
Average age of our defence core next year will be what? 24-25? With Bogo/Kulda/Oyster/Valab/Hainsey/Whoever

Our youth is getting shots this year finally, KOvy wants to see changes? Firesaling guys like Kozlov/White/Lehtonen/ dont do anything.
Getting draft picks that wont be ready for 2-5 years? Great let's convince him that every single draft pick will make sense, and will all be exactly what we thought of them. Meanwhile he looks and goes "oh look, San Jose has money available and they should be able to win a cup in the next 3 years..well im going to go there, nice try guys" And we are more screwed then before.

We need to get rid of the dead weight(3rd/4th lines) Guys who wont resign here(Havelid/XLB), And make some free agent signings that prove to Kovy and everyone we are in the race for a playoff spot next year.

Old
02-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Having the potential to be better than Kovalchuk doesn't mean it's likely. It's just not impossible.

After Kovalchuk, though, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that JVR will be better than every other player on this team. Bogosian is the only example of a guy who could be an exception to that.

Old
02-21-2009, 02:42 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Having the potential to be better than Kovalchuk doesn't mean it's likely. It's just not impossible.

After Kovalchuk, though, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that JVR will be better than every other player on this team. Bogosian is the only example of a guy who could be an exception to that.
I can't wait to bring this up in 3-4 years

Old
02-21-2009, 03:07 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I can't wait to bring this up in 3-4 years
alright then, who do you think will develop into a better player than JVR?

(not including 09 1st round pick)

Closed Thread