HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PGT: can i coach the canadiens pleaasseee!

Old
02-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
The Pleckanec line had just come off, and the Koivu line was on and completely out of gas just before the Pleck line hit the ice. Who else was Carbo supposed to put out there?
He should've taken a time out, like 29 other coaches do in the league.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Habsolutely

Playing the Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Stewart line when trailing with one goal and there's 1:30 left will be the demise of this team this season.

Habsolutely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:02 AM
skipp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolutely View Post
Playing the Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Stewart line when trailing with one goal and there's 1:30 left will be the demise of this team this season.
Whats worse is that Carbo is making the same mistake 2 games ion a row.
he has Stewart and Kosto out there with a minute left in the OT vs the Caps and again last night when we really neeed a goal.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:09 AM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
there wasn't a stoppage of play...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Basszor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Someone kill Guy Carbonneau
Done. Where's my paycheck?

Basszor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Basszor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal View Post
Carbo made ANOTHERmistake on the fifth goal. He left the line out after they scored and then they got caught being tired and they couldn't rush the blueline fast enough.

Fixed

Basszor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:37 AM
C4KOMI

When your GM says his best deal is this guy,
you have to ask some important questions
on Bob Gainey's state of mind.

I think the time has come to stop bringing
ex-habs to lead this time,
it's not working out,
how many times must you repeat the same
mistake before you learn?

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4KOMI View Post

I think the time has come to stop bringing
ex-habs to lead this time,
it's not working out,
how many times must you repeat the same
mistake before you learn?
But we brought Bob because he was the ultimate leader and he went to the finals as GM with the North Stars and won the cup with the Stars. Sure he was a former Hab but he had credentials.

For GM, I wouldn't mind bringing Pierre Lacroix. He's a great mind and a winner. Although I don't know if he could do take a talentless team like the Habs and make it work. When he went to the Nordiques he had great resources.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4KOMI View Post
As much as I'm not Gainey's biggest fan, I have to think and have to believe that this answer was more political than anything else. Or he's a poor judge of his own work. Or his sympathy towards his friend won over his real quality as a coach. But I really can't believe that he truly believes that he's a great coach.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:05 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Even if the whistle had blown, time outs also serve to rest the opposition's top players... I seriously doubt that 29 other coaches would have chosen to give guys like Malkin, Crosby, Gonchar, Sykora, and Fleury a rest at a time when their own teams had the momentum. If they did, there are 29 coaches I'd fire before I'd fire Carbo.

The Habs maintaining the momentum they had at that time was more important. One thing the Lapierre line does very well is fore-check, so they're the likeliest line to be able to keep the opposition bottled into their own zone. If done right, it meant that Carbo would have been able to send out a fresh top line against an absolutely exhausted Pittsburgh line.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Craig71

I don't think Carbo is a great coach either, but lets face facts here, If we are down a goal it's not like he has Mike Babcocks options sitting in front of him. You can have the greatest coach in the world back there and without resources in front of you it is almost impossible to win.The main reason we did so well last year was the powerplay, plain and simple our 5 on 5 last lear was poor to average. 2008-2009 our powerplay sucks and where are we? How Gainey allowed Souray and Streit walk away baffles me. He realizes this now and has brought in Schneider, is it too little to late? We are in such a mess right now, I hope and pray something good comes of all this mess or this will be a summer of many departures.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:46 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolutely View Post
Hes in love with kosto and lap, if it were possible he would play them 60 minutes a game. I think carbo is the most moronic coach ive ever seen. He has no clue wtf he is doing. Its come to a point where its just sad. Please BG fire his a**!

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Markovskaya

If we don't make the playoffs this year I demand a public punishment. Like in the days.

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Stradale

Quote:
The Pleckanec line had just come off, and the Koivu line was on and completely out of gas just before the Pleck line hit the ice. Who else was Carbo supposed to put out there?
He is the coach, he has a job to do. He needs to manage the bench, even with 5 minutes left. You never see a bunch of grinders at the end of the game to tie a game in any other 29 teams.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
He is the coach, he has a job to do. He needs to manage the bench, even with 5 minutes left. You never see a bunch of grinders at the end of the game to tie a game in any other 29 teams.

Ok, well if he DID rest the Koivu line before, you would be crying he would have sent the bunch of grinders 3 minutes before the end of the game when higgins almost freakin scored

the fact remains, when one line is completely out of gas, and that the other just passed 1:30 minutes on the ice, you can't just put back in the out of gas line neither the line that was just there, especially if you don't have any tiemouts

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Ok, well if he DID rest the Koivu line before, you would be crying he would have sent the bunch of grinders 3 minutes before the end of the game when higgins almost freakin scored

the fact remains, when one line is completely out of gas, and that the other just passed 1:30 minutes on the ice, you can't just put back in the out of gas line neither the line that was just there, especially if you don't have any tiemouts
I understand Koivy being out of gas, but the heck, isnt Higgins the top shape guy? Was he really out of gas? Same for D'Agostini? At least put Lappy with those guys. There's freaking 90 seconds left, dont tell me Higgins and D'agostini doesnt have the energy to play 40 seconds or so. You have a boost of adreanaline at the time of the game. Theres no reason Higgins and D'agostini would be out of gas at that time.

I bet Markov and Schneider took a one shift rest and jump on the ice with the last 2 minutes.

And i have seen a PLENTY of times the two top lines (in other team of course) rolling in the last 3 minutes.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
I understand Koivy being out of gas, but the heck, isnt Higgins the top shape guy? Was he really out of gas? Same for D'Agostini? At least put Lappy with those guys. There's freaking 90 seconds left, dont tell me Higgins and D'agostini doesnt have the energy to play 40 seconds or so. You have a boost of adreanaline at the time of the game. Theres no reason Higgins and D'agostini would be out of gas at that time.

I bet Markov and Schneider took a one shift rest and jump on the ice with the last 2 minutes.

And i have seen a PLENTY of times the two top lines (in other team of course) rolling in the last 3 minutes.

By that I suppose you didn't watch the game and still want Carbo's head

And to tell you (since you obviousl didnt see it) Koivu was skating slower than Cheechoo, Higgins could not handle a pass anymore and D'agostini had trouble hanging at the puck

Old
02-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Stradale

Quote:
By that I suppose you didn't watch the game and still want Carbo's head

And to tell you (since you obviousl didnt see it) Koivu was skating slower than Cheechoo, Higgins could not handle a pass anymore and D'agostini had trouble hanging at the puck
Oh well, seems like Carbo made the good decision then. Even if Koivu line was well rest, Carbo would have put Lappy's line anyways since Stewart has more chance to score than Higgins, and TKO has a better shot than D'Agostini.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Oh well, seems like Carbo made the good decision then. Even if Koivu line was well rest, Carbo would have put Lappy's line anyways since Stewart has more chance to score than Higgins, and TKO has a better shot than D'Agostini.
dumb supposition, nothing else

Old
02-20-2009, 12:46 PM
saints96

Quote:
really......?

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Even if the whistle had blown, time outs also serve to rest the opposition's top players... I seriously doubt that 29 other coaches would have chosen to give guys like Malkin, Crosby, Gonchar, Sykora, and Fleury a rest at a time when their own teams had the momentum. If they did, there are 29 coaches I'd fire before I'd fire Carbo.

The Habs maintaining the momentum they had at that time was more important. One thing the Lapierre line does very well is fore-check, so they're the likeliest line to be able to keep the opposition bottled into their own zone. If done right, it meant that Carbo would have been able to send out a fresh top line against an absolutely exhausted Pittsburgh line.
When you take a time out, you don't think about the opposing team, you think about your team.

Our best line yesterday was Plekanec's and you'd like to see your best players on the ice during those circumstances no matter what happens. That's my opinion.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Stradale

Quote:
dumb supposition, nothing else
Well, it is you that agrees with Carbo to put our grinders out there to score the tying goal. Whats was your point saying that Higgins cannot handle the puck and Dagger had trouble to hang to the puck. If these guys sucks that much for you, they dont deserve to be there on the ice in the last minutes dont they?

Old
02-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
really......?
really?...yikes.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
really......?
nah of course not, i was only sarcastically replying to iwishihadacup who agree to put Lappy line out there to score the tying goal with 90 sec left in the game.

Old
02-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
But we brought Bob because he was the ultimate leader and he went to the finals as GM with the North Stars and won the cup with the Stars. Sure he was a former Hab but he had credentials.

For GM, I wouldn't mind bringing Pierre Lacroix. He's a great mind and a winner. Although I don't know if he could do take a talentless team like the Habs and make it work. When he went to the Nordiques he had great resources.
I'd really like to see Timmins in the GM spot.

Mind you I don't have nearly enough info to provide an informed argument as to why I think he'd be great (aside from the drafting success the team has had, which on it's own is not nearly enough to equate to being ready to be a good GM).

Something about the way he's worked his way up to his position, the success he's had along the way in each of his different roles (thus allowing him to be promoted upwards to positions of greater influence), and that he's made his way to a pretty big job for one of the leagues top franchises (at least reputation wise) without having any real contacts/background in the sport to begin with... that is unless he has some hidden uncle that is an NHL great or something...

All that, plus the way he comes across in interviews (especially as far as spreading credit around) seem to point to me the kind of personality/temperament/work ethic that would work well as GM.

If/when gainey steps down, I hope that Timmins gets strong consideration.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote