HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pronger's 99-00 season

Old
02-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Talentless Practise*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper88 View Post
Are you talking about Points or +/-?

Al McInnis had 102 Points in 90-91 which is in the same decade

As for +/- that is a useless stat...
It's not when the question was about the last decade.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Pronger's Hart and Norris exploits were largely recognzied not just due to his gaudy numbers but the fact he led the Blues to the best record that year (114 pts.) with a respectable, but not outstanding group of forwards. He had MacInnis to guide him, good two-way forwards but the D outside that pairing consisted of journeymen like Todd Rierden, Ricard Persson and grizzled vets like Jeff Finley and Dave Ellett. Nothing too impressive. And then Roman Turek in net who, no offense to him, was nothing special after St. Louis traded him to Calgary. The dominance of their system under Quenneville, helmed by the Pronger-MacInnis wrecking crew made everyone else look good. Pronger proved he could carry a team then, but had to answer his critics in 2006 when he put in what would have been a Conn Smythe performance had the Canes not won. Hell, even then he should've gotten it over Ward.

Pronger's dominance was marred only a bit because the Blues choked to San Jose in 2000 then could never get by the Wings, then were overtaken by upstart Canuck and Sharks teams before the prime of that Blues group ended (an era that began in 1997 when Keenan's ass was shown the door and 2004). Yet the Blues only gave up 165 goals, which was stingy even for then! That's nearly exactly 2 goals per game allowed which would be the second best team G.A.A. marks since 1957 (NJ's 164 GA in 82 GP in 03-04 is the best). So you can see why Pronger was such a unanimous winner in 2000. Jagr was every bit as deserving I believe, but maybe his notorious "attitude," plus missing 20 games and him winning all the scoring accolades made voters ignore him in favour of the sensational, out of left field year by Pronger (though not a shock if you'd watched him progress since arriving in St. Louis).

Last edited by Hab-a-maniac: 02-20-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Yakupov is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

it's not a coincidence that his two best offensive seasons came with MacInnis and Niedermayer

Yakupov is a gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:59 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Pronger's Hart and Norris exploits were largely recognzied not just due to his gaudy numbers but the fact he led the Blues to the best record that year (114 pts.) with a respectable, but not outstanding group of forwards. He had MacInnis to guide him, good two-way forwards but the D outside that pairing consisted of journeymen like Todd Rierden, Ricard Persson and grizzled vets like Jeff Finley and Dave Ellett. Nothing too impressive. And then Roman Turek in net who, no offense to him, was nothing special after St. Louis traded him to Calgary. The dominance of their system under Quenneville, helmed by the Pronger-MacInnis wrecking crew made everyone else look good. Pronger proved he could carry a team then, but had to answer his critics in 2006 when he put in what would have been a Conn Smythe performance had the Canes not won. Hell, even then he should've gotten it over Ward.

Pronger's dominance was marred only a bit because the Blues choked to San Jose in 2000 then could never get by the Wings, then were overtaken by upstart Canuck and Sharks teams before the prime of that Blues group ended (an era that began in 1997 when Keenan's ass was shown the door and 2004). Yet the Blues only gave up 165 goals, which was stingy even for then! That's nearly exactly 2 goals per game allowed which would be the second best team G.A.A. marks since 1957 (NJ's 164 GA in 82 GP in 03-04 is the best). So you can see why Pronger was such a unanimous winner in 2000. Jagr was every bit as deserving I believe, but maybe his notorious "attitude," plus missing 20 games and him winning all the scoring accolades made voters ignore him in favour of the sensational, out of left field year by Pronger (though not a shock if you'd watched him progress since arriving in St. Louis).
To be fair MacInnis only played 61 games that year which did help Pronger stand out more. By that point in his career he was split apart from Al. Not saying they wouldn't be out there from time to time but they pretty well each controlled half a game.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Stars and Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Didn't Leetch reach 104 pts. or something like that in 93-94?
Leetch scored 102 pts (22g, 80a) in the 91-92 season. In 92-93 he only played 36 gms, and had 36 pts (6g, 30a). In 93-94 he came back and had 79 pts (23g, 56a).

Stars and Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Walkingthroughforest
ring bear

Meh, I would give it to Jagr
The pens had a disastorous record with him out of the lineup compared to him in it, plus he had something ridiculous like 96 points in 63 games, which was stupid numbers in the dead puck era

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Saw Jiris Tlusty

He also played in career game number 1000 today.

Saw Jiris Tlusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:21 PM
concept*

This was pre-wrist injury and before he became an *******. He used to be a smart defenseman, a leader, and people hated to face him. Now he simply swings his stick and elbows around and complains half the game.

How the Mighty have fallen.

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
I meant of the the last ten years, so not necessarily back to the early 90s.

And I normally don't put much trust in +/-, however it is very telling when Pronger is +25 higher than the next highest +/- on the team.

When combining that fact with 64 points in an era when many forwards struggled to hit that mark, I think Pronger's season was quite an accomplishment.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
79gp, 14g, 48a, 62p, +52

Next highest +/- on St. Louis was a +27.

How unreal was this Pronger this season? The best season by a defenseman in the past decade?
Pronger was great, but Jagr was the real mvp that season.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 02:50 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1 View Post
IMO, that wasn't the best hockey of his career. The 2006 playoffs were. Not sure if I've ever seen a better post-season by a defenseman.

i was going to mention this... i have to say that i agree completely.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 03:06 PM
highoffglass
Cheers!

Pronger was a beast back then, but there where a lot of good d-men.
Kinda like how there are a lot of good young forwards now.

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote