HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[OTT/NYI] Comrie & Campoli from NYI for McAmmond & SJ 2009 1st round pick

Old
02-20-2009, 05:46 PM
HSF

vCash: 500
if they finish 1st their pick will be 26th at best

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:50 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Yeah you're right but still, it'sa mind boggling trade
Not really. Murray has said all year that he was looking for a young puck moving defenseman with years on his contract.

Campoli is that guy.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Yeah you're right but still, it'sa mind boggling trade
Not really. Comrie has played in Ottawa and was great. He would have taken a paycut but Ottawa had different plans. He comes backs maybe we sign him. Maybe he replaces Vermette or Fisher and one of them are traded for a top defensemen. Campoli helps defense break out. That 1st round pick does little for us as by the time it will develop Spezza and Heatley will likley be 30+.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:53 PM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
It's semantics on the "lowness" of this pick. It works out to be a "late first rounder for a roster player. A cheap PMD that Ottawa needed and had NO guarantees of getting with San Jose's pick.
It gives both teams more leverage. NYI with more picks. Ottawa with players that could be dealt Kuba, Comrie, and Picard? Also Ottawa has salary coming off the books for next season if both Comrie and Kuba stay.

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:53 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
Sens just hit thepanic button

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:56 PM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

Chris Campoli for Dean McAmmond and San Jose's first rounder. WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Comrie helps, but there's no friggin way he signs with the Sens next season. NO freakin way.

mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Botta has some more comments:

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/

This deal is Chris Campoli for a late first round pick. That is all it is. There is no need to complicate your judgment by looking at the other parts. Campoli for a late first round pick, likely in the 26-30 range. Do you like the deal or not?

My strong hunch is that Islanders GM Garth Snow told Ottawa counterpart Bryan Murray, “If you want to do this deal, you have to take back Mike Comrie.” For weeks the Islanders hoped to listen to offers for Comrie. There was little interest

One Campoli teammate confirmed for me earlier this evening that Chris asked the Islanders to trade him a few weeks ago. I don’t know the reasons for Campoli’s request

02-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearney913 View Post
Chris Campoli for Dean McAmmond and San Jose's first rounder. WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Comrie helps, but there's no friggin way he signs with the Sens next season. NO freakin way.
Could you please explain why? If you aren't gonna prove your statement why make it in the first place.

Old
02-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
While I enjoyed Campoli on the Isles, is he wanted out Garth did the right thing by moving him. As for Comrie, he never played well under Gordon's system and seemed very uninterested in playing. When he was on the ice he was invisible. Isles win this trade.

Sal

02-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Ricky Bobby

For value of picks see: http://tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?ID=267960

Bryan Murray was on the TEAM1200 and said that Campoli was the centerpiece behind the deal and that Comrie for McAmmond were essentially throw ins for money purposes.

I personally really like this deal for the Senators cause they address their biggest weakness of not having a puck moving defencemen by getting Campoli who is on a cheap contract for next season and then a RFA. This leaves the team with lots of cap dollars to address other issues with in the summer.

After people read the linked article they will see that taking a guy who is only 24 and has shown that he can be a good player in the NHL has much better odds of winning the deal then a draft pick who has a good chance of never playing in the NHL and if did it wouldn't be for a few seasons.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:00 PM
VikingAv
Go Sioux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSens View Post
I hated this trade a first as a Sens fan, but I'm slowly warming up to it.

I would rather Murray have traded our 2nd instead of SJ's 1st but it's not like there's going to be a huge gap between those two picks.

McAmmond for Comrie is not a wash, Ottawa got the better deal between these two players. As bad as Isles fans think Comrie was doing, I can guarantee you that McAmmond has far less value than Comrie, he was essentially a waste of a roster spot.

Plus, Comrie actually played good in Ottawa in 07, unlike what a certain poster said a few pages back. His stats may not have showed it, but he was basically a 2nd/3rd line center who did a great job and brought a lot of energy every shift, maybe that will happen again.

Campoli for a late 1st seems like an overpayment on Murray's part, but Campoli is a good proven young defenceman who will be with this organization for atleast 3-4 years and I think a late 1st seems like the asking price for those type of guys these days.

I'm hoping Murray gets a 1st for Kuba, I know his play has warranted it, in which case it will basically be a UFA Kuba for Campoli trade, which I think favours the Sens.
Actually, with this trade, the difference might turn out to be big between those two picks and that's probably what Snow knew as well.

McAmmond<<<<Comrie and Campoli, and with Ottawa's recent form compared to current playoff-teams like NYR and Montreal's, this reaks of someone really believing his team will make the playoffs!! And in my opinion, it's not that much an outlandish thought...

Now, if 'zeh puppet master' believes the same in the West, I'll be, not pissed, just disappointed.........

VikingAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:07 PM
JTG

I think it's fair for both teams.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:10 PM
HabsInsideOut

poopoo

HabsInsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Botta has some more comments:

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/

This deal is Chris Campoli for a late first round pick. That is all it is. There is no need to complicate your judgment by looking at the other parts. Campoli for a late first round pick, likely in the 26-30 range. Do you like the deal or not?

My strong hunch is that Islanders GM Garth Snow told Ottawa counterpart Bryan Murray, “If you want to do this deal, you have to take back Mike Comrie.” For weeks the Islanders hoped to listen to offers for Comrie. There was little interest

One Campoli teammate confirmed for me earlier this evening that Chris asked the Islanders to trade him a few weeks ago. I don’t know the reasons for Campoli’s request
this doesn't really make much sense, does it?

why would snow be so desperate to dump comrie? is the owner pressuring him to drop salary? weight is already out, so it's hard to see it as a move needed to create roster space for a young guy (not that the isles have a ton of NHL ready centre's anyways, do they?)

I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be at least 1 team in the next 10 days that wouldn't have wanted to trade at least a 4th? 5th? 6th? round pick for comrie...

just doesn't seem to add up that Snow would be the one requiring Comrie to be added to make the deal happen, what am I missing?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

murray knows his job is on the line i guess

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

why would snow be so desperate to dump comrie? is the owner pressuring him to drop salary? weight is already out, so it's hard to see it as a move needed to create roster space for a young guy (not that the isles have a ton of NHL ready centre's anyways, do they?)

I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be at least 1 team in the next 10 days that wouldn't have wanted to trade at least a 4th? 5th? 6th? round pick for comrie...

just doesn't seem to add up that Snow would be the one requiring Comrie to be added to make the deal happen, what am I missing?
The "my strong hunch" part.

Old
02-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I think you are missing the $ reasons.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Sens just hit thepanic button
mhmm and how

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:15 PM
ashenhigh

Im not too sure about this trade....

Murray must feel confident Comrie resigns.

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
COmrie was a salary dump, this deal was a 27-30 pick for a number 4 defense with a ton of potential

Campoli hardly has a "ton of potential." He MIGHT turn out to be a solid #4 dman with offensive ability.

We're talking about a guy the Isles got on the seventh round. He worked hard on the Island, contributed points, but was never more than average in his own end of the ice (and often less than that) and had no physical game whatsoever.

Old
02-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Why, this seems really strange. I mean good on the Isles for getting another first, but this doesn't make sense for me.

Looking at the Sens right now, I have the feeling they could finish the season on a bit of a run which would put them in like 7-10th, which would be disastrous.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
if they finish 1st their pick will be 26th at best
Incorrect. The rules have changed. If the Sharks get bounced on the first round, the pick would be no higher than 22nd overall.

Old
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:

Comrie's gone because he sucked on Long Island.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Not bad for the Islanders, but is Snow showing his hand if he get's the top pick by probably selecting Hedmen?

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Not bad for the Islanders, but is Snow showing his hand if he get's the top pick by probably selecting Hedmen?

I doubt Campoli has any signficance for who the Isles draft, especially since they already have a slew of offensive smallish dman to replace him.