HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[OTT/NYI] Comrie & Campoli from NYI for McAmmond & SJ 2009 1st round pick

Old
02-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Nolanitis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
But they got Comrie as well who probably will fetch a second rounder come deadline time, you have to factor that into the deal.
Unless Comrie picks his game up significantly, he will return little in value. He has not been the same player this year since his hip surgery. Maybe the talent around him was not of high enough quality?

As for Campoli, he wanted out. He is a decent 4th defenseman, but he is replaceable. From an Isles standpoint, Andrew MacDonald might bring the same skill set along. Another high pick should help the Isles out more in the next 3 years than keeping Campoli. And Campoli has had 3 surgeries on his left shoulder already, so I guess the Isles are using risk/asset management

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Depahted View Post
Great deal for NYI

they just sealed last place. so hedman or tavares. damn them

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
that was sealed long long ago

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:12 AM
rajvandam
Unregistered User

terrible trade for the senators, they gave up a first round draft pick (even if it is san jose's) for campoli, who may or may not materialize as a good to great player. i'd rather have the draft pick, or at least trade the pick for something better, and plus comrie could just go back to the islanders in the summer... i think time will tell if this was a good deal the the senators, but i'd rather draft an unknown 18 year old that has far more potential already than chris campoli

rajvandam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:23 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Comrie back to Ottawa eh?

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I don't understand why the Islanders would trade Campoli in this situation.
I haven't read the 20+ pages of this thread, but I can give you a bit of an answer.

We're hearing reports that he had requested a trade, but that is far from being the reason any GM would send out a 24 Dman with a very affordable contract and some real upward potential. He quite simply has some upside and was marketable.

Fact is though, in Hillen and MacDonald, we have two guys who are similar to Campoli and particularly Hillen can pretty much fill his shoes at the moment (albeit, he's surely not as good as Camps), while MacDonald has turned into a viable defensive prospect. In addition, the Isles have a couple of solid Dmen prospects in Katic and Hamonic who may be signed this summer.

As for now, guys like Meyer, Sutton and Pock will be coming off the IR list in the next few days, thus, shouldn't be too much of a hit for the NHL's currently worst team.

In addition, many believe that the Islanders are at the forefront of the Gilroy-sweepstakes. The BU UFA to be is orginally from Long Island and can be offered something that most teams can't automatically offer, an immediate spot in the NHL.

With a likely top 2 pick, another 1st rounder between 26-30 and three 2nd rounders at the moment, the Isles will surely be adding no less than one favorably rated Dman in this summer's draft.

These are surely all things that factored into the decision to trade Campoli.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:39 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

SJ's first is going to be bottom 5 lol

Old
02-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajvandam View Post
terrible trade for the senators, they gave up a first round draft pick (even if it is san jose's) for campoli, who may or may not materialize as a good to great player. i'd rather have the draft pick, or at least trade the pick for something better, and plus comrie could just go back to the islanders in the summer... i think time will tell if this was a good deal the the senators, but i'd rather draft an unknown 18 year old that has far more potential already than chris campoli
How ironic, seeing as that's the definition of a draft pick.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
SJ's first is going to be bottom 5 lol
No prob..... I get the impression that this draft is 60-90 players deep.

Number 30 is still getting this team a strong asset!

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post

And so will #40 for the Senators, and possibly #20-25 if they trade Kuba. No harm done for either team.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
And so will #40 for the Senators, and possibly #20-25 if they trade Kuba. No harm done for either team.
We could have had 4 draft picks in the top 40 instead.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:57 PM
UkFlyer

The only way islanders are going to pick themselves up from the nhl basement is through draft picks.They should stock up as much as they can and thats why i believe this is a great trade.The late draft pick in the 1st round in this deep draft for a number 4 defensman.for example they could pick up DYLAN OLSEN who you would presume will turn out to be a better player than campoli

UkFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
Oh, and you really think our #5 dman and Comrie with his 7 goals was going to prevent that?

The Isles have Joe MacDonald as our number 1 goalie right now and Josh Bailey as our best center. We can trade the entire team and it isn't going to have any impact on the standings.

02-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UkLeaf View Post
The only way islanders are going to pick themselves up from the nhl basement is through draft picks.They should stock up as much as they can and thats why i believe this is a great trade.The late draft pick in the 1st round in this deep draft for a number 4 defensman.for example they could pick up DYLAN OLSEN who you would presume will turn out to be a better player than campoli
Meanwhile, Ottawa is basically a good team that just needs a few pieces to get back to being competitive. So, Isles get what they need and Sens get what they need.

Works for me.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 01:26 PM
AllanBester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post

No draft is 60-90 players deep. This year is a deep draft year, but as with any deep draft year, there will still be plenty of question marks surrounding any player drafted outside the top 20.

I don't think you could get a deep enough draft of 60-90 players if you included the last 4 draft years.

In a shallow draft anything outside the top 5 is questionable. To say that there are 15 really strong prospects this year is amazing.

AllanBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanBester View Post
No draft is 60-90 players deep. This year is a deep draft year, but as with any deep draft year, there will still be plenty of question marks surrounding any player drafted outside the top 20.

I don't think you could get a deep enough draft of 60-90 players if you included the last 4 draft years.

In a shallow draft anything outside the top 5 is questionable. To say that there are 15 really strong prospects this year is amazing.
I think his point means that there will be impact players in the 2nd and third rounds of a strong draft. I don't think he is saying that there will be 60 sure things - just that there will 60 possibles. That isn't really true of every draft. There are some drafts where the top end of the first half is deep, and there isn't much talent available in the later rounds.

Personally, I don't believe this draft is as special as everybody says though. I think the top end of the first round is very deep, and then I think it turns into an ordinary draft.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 03:04 PM
AllanBester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I think his point means that there will be impact players in the 2nd and third rounds of a strong draft. I don't think he is saying that there will be 60 sure things - just that there will 60 possibles. That isn't really true of every draft. There are some drafts where the top end of the first half is deep, and there isn't much talent available in the later rounds.

Personally, I don't believe this draft is as special as everybody says though. I think the top end of the first round is very deep, and then I think it turns into an ordinary draft.
And that's my point. There are 15 very solid prospects. Outside of that, this draft is just like any other relatively deep draft year. In any draft there will be guys that come from the 2nd round right through to the 7th. You never know how those guys will develop and that's typically why they go that late. But keep in mind that the NHLPA has a membership of 700+ players. Not all of those players are in the NHL as we speak. That means with 60-90 prospects coming out of this draft, you'd be looking at around 10% turn over for the union. That is NOT going to happen from this draft year or any other. That is A LOT of players. If a draft year produces 5% of the NHLPA membership, that's a pretty good draft.

AllanBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 03:13 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

you never know with these drafts.
look at 2003 for example.
there is only one player drafter in the first round that year that hasn't played in the NHL.

Old
02-21-2009, 03:34 PM
bdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
you never know with these drafts.
look at 2003 for example.
there is only one player drafter in the first round that year that hasn't played in the NHL.
They really are wild cards. Look at the late 1st round picks in 2003:

25. Anthony Stewart
26. Brian Boyle
27. Jeff Tambellini
28. Corey Perry
29. Patrick Eaves
30. Shawn Belle

That's not good, especially for such a good draft.

But then you can look at a weak draft like 2004, and see Mike Green, Jeff Schultz and Corey Schneider were drafted at the end of the first.

Bottom line is we won't know the value of this trade for at least 2 more years.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Blackfader*

People need to understand this is NOT murray trying to make the playoffs. I think comrie will get redealt if he can, which is possible, and that they think Campoli could be a good dman. What % of late firsts become good Dmen? A low amount so why take a risk? Get a young guy who is still moldable that they can coach now, instead of having to wait years. I think ottawa is thinking philly style rebuild. Hedmen and Karlsson join the fold, Fisher and Vermette have good years, sign some UFAs and they could be back in playoffs next year. I really dont get why ppl think sens lost this badly..

Blackfader* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
i'd rather draft an unknown 18 year old that has far more potential already than chris campoli
One really should ponder this thought for a moment.

It crystalizes the very essense of www.hockeysfuture.com.

For better...and worse.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Holy ****. Campoli was actually a defenseman I wanted to keep!!

We get another first round draft pick! Garth Snow is THE MAN.

This team is going to be disgusting in a few years.
even moreso than it is now?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Playoff or not, is Campoli for SJ's 1st a good deal? McAmmond add no value to the Sens at this point.
Campoli for a late first is a good deal if you are a contender and looking to boost your pp, otherwise its a stupid trade.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Generic Username*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Campoli for a late first is a good deal if you are a contender and looking to boost your pp, otherwise its a stupid trade.
Because bad teams aren't allowed to improve or something?

Generic Username* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

I watched the Ottawa game today and saw Campoli's two assists.... then wondered where the hell Campoli came from.

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote