HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bobby Ryan for Jordan Staal

Old
02-20-2009, 08:02 PM
66-29-33

vCash: 500
Calm the **** down everyone, Ryan has only 64 games played. He is not ahead of Staal at all, the only reason why it would take more to get him is because how valuable he is to the team right now, Staal has already accomplished more then Ryan has, and i'm sure has more NHL records. Youngest to get an NHL hattrick, then there is the shorthanded record, then there is the games played record. Staal is not complete garbage, infact he is so underrated on these forums it's not even funny. If you guys had a clue what hockey was, you would know there is more to hockey then scoring goals, or getting points. Come playoff time, when the games matter most i would take Staal over Ryan any day of the week. For his age he's well above his age in the defensive end, he can be a absolute MONSTER. I'll go by what actual GM's think of hockey players, then GM wanna be's.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
I don't agree, really. Staal's still a younger guy, and has a ton of potential. I'd be tempted to take him over Bobby Ryan. It would be very close.

Again....Staal is going to be a good NHL'er. Ryan has been the Ducks 2nd best forward since his call up IMO.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:10 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Again....Staal is going to be a good NHL'er. Ryan has been the Ducks 2nd best forward since his call up IMO.
I probably shouldn't have specifically quoted you, I wound up writing a fairly general statement. My real point was that I think Staal's a better player than people are giving him credit for around here.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:14 PM
MeatCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Just watch him play. There's some impressive rookies this year...Mason has been the only one better. That's no slight to Backlund or even Brassard when he was healthy. Staal's going to be a good player but Ryan has already surpassed him.
In that case would you also argue that rookie Jordan Staal surpassed current Jordan Staal?
I personally feel like you can't make this judgement yet. You have to factor in the stage of each in his respective career and think about more than just goal scoring.

MeatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:18 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Bobby Ryan is so superior to Jordan Staal it's insane

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:49 PM
wej20

People round here seem to think Jordan Staal peaked in his Rookie Season.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Good deal.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Guins71

Wasn't Bobby Ryan just last year considered a bust(when he was the age Jordan Staal is now) People on this board are nuts. They act like Jordan Staal is 34 years old and has reached his potential.

Guins71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Calm the **** down everyone, Ryan has only 64 games played. He is not ahead of Staal at all, the only reason why it would take more to get him is because how valuable he is to the team right now, Staal has already accomplished more then Ryan has, and i'm sure has more NHL records. Youngest to get an NHL hattrick, then there is the shorthanded record, then there is the games played record. Staal is not complete garbage, infact he is so underrated on these forums it's not even funny. If you guys had a clue what hockey was, you would know there is more to hockey then scoring goals, or getting points. Come playoff time, when the games matter most i would take Staal over Ryan any day of the week. For his age he's well above his age in the defensive end, he can be a absolute MONSTER. I'll go by what actual GM's think of hockey players, then GM wanna be's.
Staal has accomplished more than Ryan, ok what is that?

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:08 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Playing three seasons in the NHL, while being younger than Bobby Ryan?

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Magnum

I'll pay for Ryan's plane ticket and pick him up, drop him off at Mark Recchi's house and take Staal and his luggage to the airport for free

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guins71 View Post
Wasn't Bobby Ryan just last year considered a bust(when he was the age Jordan Staal is now) People on this board are nuts. They act like Jordan Staal is 34 years old and has reached his potential.
he was only considered a bust by the people on this board who are utterly impatient when it comes to prospects (which is about 95% of the board).

The rest had pretty good faith in Ryan all along, especially if you saw his Portland games last year during the playoffs.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Playing three seasons in the NHL, while being younger than Bobby Ryan?
And he's accomplished how much more?

Pretty sad that Staal is being outscored by a rookie that's played fewer games?

Old
02-20-2009, 11:59 PM
JesusBouillon

Ryan has the luxury of not being 3rd string behind the 2 best centers in the league. Staal is vastly underrated. I'd say it's a toss-up between the 2 as to who will become the best player.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:10 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Um, i just said? i missed out playing like a force in the stanley cup finals too. Let me guess...big whoop he was the youngest to 200 games? big whoop about his hattrick and becoming the youngest player to ever have a hattrick, who cares about his first 7 goals in the NHL as they were all shorthanded and nobody has done that since the early 1900's. His 24% shooting percentage i will agree was a fluke, but he still has that on Ryan in his rookie year. But yeah, none of these are accomplishments, i mean anybody can do them in their sleep.

Old
02-21-2009, 12:22 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Um, i just said? i missed out playing like a force in the stanley cup finals too. Let me guess...big whoop he was the youngest to 200 games? big whoop about his hattrick and becoming the youngest player to ever have a hattrick, who cares about his first 7 goals in the NHL as they were all shorthanded and nobody has done that since the early 1900's. His 24% shooting percentage i will agree was a fluke, but he still has that on Ryan in his rookie year. But yeah, none of these are accomplishments, i mean anybody can do them in their sleep.
Bobby Ryan has done something that Jordan Staal has not and likely never will do - be an integral part of his team's offensive game

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:26 AM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Bobby Ryan has done something that Jordan Staal has not and likely never will do - be an integral part of his team's offensive game
And if he was the third center behind Crosby and Malkin, mostly confined to defensive role you think he'd be just as productive? We won't know just how good Staal is until he gets a real chance to show his talent.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:57 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Yeah his first 7 goals were short handed, how many does he have this year?

It was a fluke.

Old
02-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
And if he was the third center behind Crosby and Malkin, mostly confined to defensive role you think he'd be just as productive? We won't know just how good Staal is until he gets a real chance to show his talent.
The ducks will gladly take him.

Niedermayer,Pahlsson and Kunitz for Staal and Goligoski Pens then can trade Whitney for another winger and we'll take salary

Old
02-21-2009, 01:11 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Yeah his first 7 goals were short handed, how many does he have this year?

It was a fluke.
24 shooting percentage was a fluke, 7 shortys was not, it was lucky and he got his chances then where he converted. What does Staals offensive production this season have anything to do about his accomplishments he's got in his career? nothing, nada. Anyway, Staal has 15 goals this season playing mostly 3rd line.

Old
02-21-2009, 02:04 AM
nilssont

No way Josť

nilssont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 02:08 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
Ryan has the luxury of not being 3rd string behind the 2 best centers in the league. Staal is vastly underrated. I'd say it's a toss-up between the 2 as to who will become the best player.
What you essentially said was: Staal isn't a focus off the opposing teams top players as they are worried about Sid and Malkin. Bobby Ryan is a focus of the opposing teams top players.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 02:27 AM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
What you essentially said was: Staal isn't a focus off the opposing teams top players as they are worried about Sid and Malkin. Bobby Ryan is a focus of the opposing teams top players.
Yeah but what he also said is that Staal gets less ice time and is stuck with the 3rd string linemates.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 02:31 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
Yeah but what he also said is that Staal gets less ice time and is stuck with the 3rd string linemates.
That'd be great if it were valid. Jordan Staal is averaging 20:08 minutes per game, while Bobby Ryan is averaging 14:45 minutes per game.

Anaheim fans would be able to attest to this more than I, but I know for a long while he was given sub par linemates as well, such as George Parros.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 02:34 AM
Joey Mac

jordan staal isn't worth the contract he recieved let alone bobby ryan

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote