HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bobby Ryan for Jordan Staal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2009, 08:02 PM
  #51
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,428
vCash: 500
Calm the **** down everyone, Ryan has only 64 games played. He is not ahead of Staal at all, the only reason why it would take more to get him is because how valuable he is to the team right now, Staal has already accomplished more then Ryan has, and i'm sure has more NHL records. Youngest to get an NHL hattrick, then there is the shorthanded record, then there is the games played record. Staal is not complete garbage, infact he is so underrated on these forums it's not even funny. If you guys had a clue what hockey was, you would know there is more to hockey then scoring goals, or getting points. Come playoff time, when the games matter most i would take Staal over Ryan any day of the week. For his age he's well above his age in the defensive end, he can be a absolute MONSTER. I'll go by what actual GM's think of hockey players, then GM wanna be's.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:05 PM
  #52
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
I don't agree, really. Staal's still a younger guy, and has a ton of potential. I'd be tempted to take him over Bobby Ryan. It would be very close.

Again....Staal is going to be a good NHL'er. Ryan has been the Ducks 2nd best forward since his call up IMO.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:10 PM
  #53
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Again....Staal is going to be a good NHL'er. Ryan has been the Ducks 2nd best forward since his call up IMO.
I probably shouldn't have specifically quoted you, I wound up writing a fairly general statement. My real point was that I think Staal's a better player than people are giving him credit for around here.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:14 PM
  #54
MeatCat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Just watch him play. There's some impressive rookies this year...Mason has been the only one better. That's no slight to Backlund or even Brassard when he was healthy. Staal's going to be a good player but Ryan has already surpassed him.
In that case would you also argue that rookie Jordan Staal surpassed current Jordan Staal?
I personally feel like you can't make this judgement yet. You have to factor in the stage of each in his respective career and think about more than just goal scoring.

MeatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:18 PM
  #55
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Bobby Ryan is so superior to Jordan Staal it's insane

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 08:49 PM
  #56
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 20,982
vCash: 500
People round here seem to think Jordan Staal peaked in his Rookie Season.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:21 PM
  #57
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends
 
Moses Doughty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Drewbacca
Country: United States
Posts: 8,036
vCash: 500
Good deal.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:46 PM
  #58
Guins71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 949
vCash: 500
Wasn't Bobby Ryan just last year considered a bust(when he was the age Jordan Staal is now) People on this board are nuts. They act like Jordan Staal is 34 years old and has reached his potential.

Guins71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:04 PM
  #59
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Calm the **** down everyone, Ryan has only 64 games played. He is not ahead of Staal at all, the only reason why it would take more to get him is because how valuable he is to the team right now, Staal has already accomplished more then Ryan has, and i'm sure has more NHL records. Youngest to get an NHL hattrick, then there is the shorthanded record, then there is the games played record. Staal is not complete garbage, infact he is so underrated on these forums it's not even funny. If you guys had a clue what hockey was, you would know there is more to hockey then scoring goals, or getting points. Come playoff time, when the games matter most i would take Staal over Ryan any day of the week. For his age he's well above his age in the defensive end, he can be a absolute MONSTER. I'll go by what actual GM's think of hockey players, then GM wanna be's.
Staal has accomplished more than Ryan, ok what is that?

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:08 PM
  #60
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Staal has accomplished more than Ryan, ok what is that?
Playing three seasons in the NHL, while being younger than Bobby Ryan?

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:13 PM
  #61
Magnum
Registered User
 
Magnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 701
vCash: 500
I'll pay for Ryan's plane ticket and pick him up, drop him off at Mark Recchi's house and take Staal and his luggage to the airport for free

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:36 PM
  #62
Abyss
GO BRUINS
 
Abyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,753
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guins71 View Post
Wasn't Bobby Ryan just last year considered a bust(when he was the age Jordan Staal is now) People on this board are nuts. They act like Jordan Staal is 34 years old and has reached his potential.
he was only considered a bust by the people on this board who are utterly impatient when it comes to prospects (which is about 95% of the board).

The rest had pretty good faith in Ryan all along, especially if you saw his Portland games last year during the playoffs.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:57 PM
  #63
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Playing three seasons in the NHL, while being younger than Bobby Ryan?
And he's accomplished how much more?

Pretty sad that Staal is being outscored by a rookie that's played fewer games?

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 11:59 PM
  #64
JesusBouillon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,329
vCash: 500
Ryan has the luxury of not being 3rd string behind the 2 best centers in the league. Staal is vastly underrated. I'd say it's a toss-up between the 2 as to who will become the best player.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:10 AM
  #65
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Staal has accomplished more than Ryan, ok what is that?
Um, i just said? i missed out playing like a force in the stanley cup finals too. Let me guess...big whoop he was the youngest to 200 games? big whoop about his hattrick and becoming the youngest player to ever have a hattrick, who cares about his first 7 goals in the NHL as they were all shorthanded and nobody has done that since the early 1900's. His 24% shooting percentage i will agree was a fluke, but he still has that on Ryan in his rookie year. But yeah, none of these are accomplishments, i mean anybody can do them in their sleep.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:22 AM
  #66
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Um, i just said? i missed out playing like a force in the stanley cup finals too. Let me guess...big whoop he was the youngest to 200 games? big whoop about his hattrick and becoming the youngest player to ever have a hattrick, who cares about his first 7 goals in the NHL as they were all shorthanded and nobody has done that since the early 1900's. His 24% shooting percentage i will agree was a fluke, but he still has that on Ryan in his rookie year. But yeah, none of these are accomplishments, i mean anybody can do them in their sleep.
Bobby Ryan has done something that Jordan Staal has not and likely never will do - be an integral part of his team's offensive game

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:26 AM
  #67
JesusBouillon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Bobby Ryan has done something that Jordan Staal has not and likely never will do - be an integral part of his team's offensive game
And if he was the third center behind Crosby and Malkin, mostly confined to defensive role you think he'd be just as productive? We won't know just how good Staal is until he gets a real chance to show his talent.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:57 AM
  #68
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Um, i just said? i missed out playing like a force in the stanley cup finals too. Let me guess...big whoop he was the youngest to 200 games? big whoop about his hattrick and becoming the youngest player to ever have a hattrick, who cares about his first 7 goals in the NHL as they were all shorthanded and nobody has done that since the early 1900's. His 24% shooting percentage i will agree was a fluke, but he still has that on Ryan in his rookie year. But yeah, none of these are accomplishments, i mean anybody can do them in their sleep.
Yeah his first 7 goals were short handed, how many does he have this year?

It was a fluke.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:58 AM
  #69
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
And if he was the third center behind Crosby and Malkin, mostly confined to defensive role you think he'd be just as productive? We won't know just how good Staal is until he gets a real chance to show his talent.
The ducks will gladly take him.

Niedermayer,Pahlsson and Kunitz for Staal and Goligoski Pens then can trade Whitney for another winger and we'll take salary

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 01:11 AM
  #70
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Yeah his first 7 goals were short handed, how many does he have this year?

It was a fluke.
24 shooting percentage was a fluke, 7 shortys was not, it was lucky and he got his chances then where he converted. What does Staals offensive production this season have anything to do about his accomplishments he's got in his career? nothing, nada. Anyway, Staal has 15 goals this season playing mostly 3rd line.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 02:04 AM
  #71
nilssont
Registered User
 
nilssont's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Sweden
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
No way Josť

nilssont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 02:08 AM
  #72
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
Ryan has the luxury of not being 3rd string behind the 2 best centers in the league. Staal is vastly underrated. I'd say it's a toss-up between the 2 as to who will become the best player.
What you essentially said was: Staal isn't a focus off the opposing teams top players as they are worried about Sid and Malkin. Bobby Ryan is a focus of the opposing teams top players.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 02:27 AM
  #73
SkullSplitter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
What you essentially said was: Staal isn't a focus off the opposing teams top players as they are worried about Sid and Malkin. Bobby Ryan is a focus of the opposing teams top players.
Yeah but what he also said is that Staal gets less ice time and is stuck with the 3rd string linemates.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 02:31 AM
  #74
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
Yeah but what he also said is that Staal gets less ice time and is stuck with the 3rd string linemates.
That'd be great if it were valid. Jordan Staal is averaging 20:08 minutes per game, while Bobby Ryan is averaging 14:45 minutes per game.

Anaheim fans would be able to attest to this more than I, but I know for a long while he was given sub par linemates as well, such as George Parros.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 02:34 AM
  #75
Joey Mac
Registered User
 
Joey Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
jordan staal isn't worth the contract he recieved let alone bobby ryan

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.