HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade rumors, where are you?

Old
02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Nick00

vCash: 500
Trade rumors, where are you?

With two weeks to go before the trade deadline, should we be worried that the Rangers are seemingly not involved in a single trade rumor from any credible source?
You'd think that Sather would be at least seriously attempting to make a significant move before the deadline.
This is usually such a fun time of the year.
Has anyone heard anything behind the scenes, or from a news source that I've missed?

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:39 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Just out of curiosity, before you posted this did you consider why the rangers arent involved in any trade rumors this year?

If you did and still could not come up with the answer, it would be because Glen Sather has given himself no flexibility with the cap and thus he really can not do much.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Just look in the trade rumors section...There are three new NYR proposals after each loss!

But, I am sure he will make at least two moves between now and the deadline. Not including Sean Avery. But...usually it's the deal that nobody thought would happen. Expect the unexpected!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:07 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Just look in the trade rumors section...There are three new NYR proposals after each loss!

But, I am sure he will make at least two moves between now and the deadline. Not including Sean Avery. But...usually it's the deal that nobody thought would happen. Expect the unexpected!
I wonder what third liner we're going to get this year.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:14 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Forget about the cap

LB wrote in THN last week that Sather is reluctant to deal high draft picks or prospects for rentals/veteran players.

That is what other teams want in return.Not just from the Rangers but from every team.

I don't want to see a top young player on the roster or in the system get moved for a veteran player who won't make any difference.What is the point of that?

The Rangers will be frugal buyers.Just like they have been since 2003.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:16 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

It's hard to be involved in major trade rumors when your team carries the league's worst contract and two others that fall in to the top 5 of the same category.

But on the other hand, might be a blessing in disguise. At least he won't be dealing prospects and picks for some God awful rental players.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:32 PM
SML

I just dont think theres many credible sources nowadays. GM's know that with all the bloggers, "insiders" and message boards, that if you say something in mixed company, it's going to be online within the hour. The few good "rumors" I've heard in the last few years broke on this site the noght before or early the day of, everyone called Bull ****, and then they turned out to be true. Two weeks befroe the deadline, nobody's tipping their hand to anyone outside their circle of trust, and realeasing that scoop to the Emedia is a sure way to find yourself on the outside of that circle looking in.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:33 PM
otto1219

based on what comrie fetched, what do you think we would be able to get for naslund. and yes i know he has another year on his contract.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I just dont think theres many credible sources nowadays. GM's know that with all the bloggers, "insiders" and message boards, that if you say something in mixed company, it's going to be online within the hour. The few good "rumors" I've heard in the last few years broke on this site the noght before or early the day of, everyone called Bull ****, and then they turned out to be true. Two weeks befroe the deadline, nobody's tipping their hand to anyone outside their circle of trust, and realeasing that scoop to the Emedia is a sure way to find yourself on the outside of that circle looking in.
Good post, that makes sense.
Sather is a secretive kind of guy anyway.

Old
02-20-2009, 06:08 PM
gravytrain6t

Out of the most high priced players, if we're looking at the Rangers from a sellers perspective. I think Drury would be the easiest to trade because of his reputation as a "clutch" goal performer.

If Buffalo happened to get into the playoffs, I wonder if they would be interested? Besides, even if they are "stuck" with his contract for another 3 years, Chris Drury has played real well in Buffalo and under Lindsay Ruff with 67 goals in his last two seasons there. Not to mention, we all know what he can do to an opposing team and it's fans. Sather could just show him footage of his big playoff goals in Colorado and Buffalo.

On that note, it will not happen. But there is no doubt, a team out there would take Drury.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Out of the most high priced players, if we're looking at the Rangers from a sellers perspective. I think Drury would be the easiest to trade because of his reputation as a "clutch" goal performer.

If Buffalo happened to get into the playoffs, I wonder if they would be interested? Besides, even if they are "stuck" with his contract for another 3 years, Chris Drury has played real well in Buffalo and under Lindsay Ruff with 67 goals in his last two seasons there. Not to mention, we all know what he can do to an opposing team and it's fans. Sather could just show him footage of his big playoff goals in Colorado and Buffalo.

On that note, it will not happen. But there is no doubt, a team out there would take Drury.
If Drury is traded I see him going back to Colorado.
Not sure as to who would be going the other way though, because I hardly ever watch that team.

Old
02-20-2009, 06:25 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

We will more than likely make a minor trade or two but as we all know its going to take a lot more than a couple of minor trades to fix this mess. Personally even though i know it wont happen i would love to see this team blown up and lose the overpaid underachievers because i just dont see the point in staying at mediocre while other teams pass us by.

As i mentioned in an other thread i think i would even be willing to let Zherdev walk if he recieved an offer sheet that would get us a couple of 1st's and a 2nd, 3rd, i am sure it was over $5m.

I just really dont like this team as it currently is but it wont stop me from sittin up till 3am to watch them.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:30 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Forget about the cap

LB wrote in THN last week that Sather is reluctant to deal high draft picks or prospects for rentals/veteran players.

That is what other teams want in return.Not just from the Rangers but from every team.

I don't want to see a top young player on the roster or in the system get moved for a veteran player who won't make any difference.What is the point of that?

The Rangers will be frugal buyers.Just like they have been since 2003.
Good to hear. Sather's been pretty consistent at the deadline in not going after rental players. That's why I think trading for Tkachuk probably will not happen. At most I think Prucha and/or Dawes will be moved, late round picks, and maybe mid-level prospects.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 06:38 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
If Drury is traded I see him going back to Colorado.
Not sure as to who would be going the other way though, because I hardly ever watch that team.
We all know how Mike Keenan likes to add size to the lineup before playoff time. Keenan likes big players in general. So I was thinking, Drury and Voros to calgary for a number one pick. Doable? Maybe.

Colorado would make a ton of sense if they were going to make the playoffs. Especially if they thought Drury could score one of his clutch goals against the hated Red Wings.

Once again though. I don't see Sather shopping Drury.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:51 PM
McMonster

DRURY IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

HE HAS A NMC !!!!!!!!!!!!!

They aren't going to ask him to waive it either. It won't happen. I don't know when some of you are going to get it through your heads.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 09:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The team that badly wants Phoenix Coyotes defenceman Derek Morris is the Rangers, but they have almost no wiggle room with their salary cap to give them an offensive jolt on their back end.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...902/story.html

If Donnie wants Roszival,..........................

Offensive jolt?Derek Morris?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...902/story.html

If Donnie wants Roszival,..........................

Offensive jolt?Derek Morris?
This is going to sound kinda strange BUT with the team sucking so bad right now it is almost a certaintly they are not afraid to make Trades.........meaning it can't get worse so lets shake it up

last yr they were going pretty strong but this year eeeek

I am open to pretty much anything involiving Gomez, Rozsival, Dawes, Prucha, Kalinin..............Believe it or not I like the rest of the players.............and yea yea Redden and Drury are not going to be able to get moved so we have to live with those 2 names.

If they move Rozi for a top 6 forward who is cheaper and less yrs then get Morris in a deal Centred around say Dawes it make sense

I can see them pulling off the most deals at the deadline and that will atleast bring some exitement back

Avery of course would be a good start. I can't believe how much I want Avery back,haha

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:22 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
The fact that the Rangers aren't at the center of a dozen different (legit) trade rumors is a good thing. There's no reason for this team to spend valuable draft picks and top prospects at the deadline for a Band-Aid solution that will not be enough to get a highly flawed team over the hump. I'm not against trading the promise of tomorrow for a better chance this season, but this isn't the team to do it with. The Rangers' shortcomings on the wing and at center in terms of offense and the lack of a true power play QB are so severe that I can't see the team remedying all those flaws on one deadline day, even if they stripped the prospect cupboard bare.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:57 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Well there's this thing called a salary cap, and this total dumb*** named Glen Sather...

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:44 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
I wonder what third liner we're going to get this year.
Which ever one is 34-37 years old

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:26 PM
tlallstar6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Which ever one is 34-37 years old
hahahahaha so true.

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:55 PM
GarretJoseph*

I had a dream last night that the Rangers lost every game from now until up to the deadline and my dream included some outlandish trades. Thought I would share them with you. I wrote them down when I woke up. I still nearly 10 hours later have no idea why I wrote them down?

To Florida - S.Gomez, P.Prucha, C.Potter, R.Callahan + 08' 2nd + 09' 1st.
To NYR - J.Bouwmeester + R.Dvorak

To Pittsburgh - N.Zherdev + B.Betts
To NYR - J.Staal + 08' 2nd.

To Dallas - A.Voros + P.Riismiller
To NYR - 08' 3rd Round Pick.

Claims S.Avery Off re-entry waivers.

To Buffalo - R.Dvorak + M.Naslund
To NYR - 08' 1st + 09' 4th.

To Ottawa - M.Rozsival + D.Kalinin
To NYR - J.Spezza.

That was it. I woke up to my 15 mont old screaming with a full diaper.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I had a dream last night that the Rangers lost every game from now until up to the deadline and my dream included some outlandish trades. Thought I would share them with you. I wrote them down when I woke up. I still nearly 10 hours later have no idea why I wrote them down?

To Florida - S.Gomez, P.Prucha, C.Potter, R.Callahan + 08' 2nd + 09' 1st.
To NYR - J.Bouwmeester + R.Dvorak

To Pittsburgh - N.Zherdev + B.Betts
To NYR - J.Staal + 08' 2nd.

To Dallas - A.Voros + P.Riismiller
To NYR - 08' 3rd Round Pick.

Claims S.Avery Off re-entry waivers.

To Buffalo - R.Dvorak + M.Naslund
To NYR - 08' 1st + 09' 4th.

To Ottawa - M.Rozsival + D.Kalinin
To NYR - J.Spezza.

That was it. I woke up to my 15 mont old screaming with a full diaper.
I lol'd a lot, especially at the last trade.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:58 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
I lol'd a lot, especially at the last trade.
lol, good!

I woke up to a yelling baby and the only thing on my mind was, "was that all real?"

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
lol, good!

I woke up to a yelling baby and the only thing on my mind was, "was that all real?"
I just adopted a 3 month old puppy from the ASPCA, we cry together during Rangers games.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote