HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Sedins: Who can afford them?

Old
02-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
Sedins: Who can afford them?

I hope this is the right forum for this.

The hot topic right now in Vancouver is the Sedins and their impending UFA status. They are apparently asking between 5.5 to 6.5 million each over 5 years. I'm guessing they will get around 10 for the pair over 5.

I'm just wondering, what teams can realistically actually afford the Sedins this summer? What teams actually have the Cap room and will need two top 5 forwards?

Toronto? Montreal? Who else?

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:51 PM
richardn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post

The hot topic right now in Vancouver is the Sedins and their impending UFA status. They are apparently asking between 5.5 to 6.5 million each over 5 years. I'm guessing they will get around 10 for the pair over 5.

I'm just wondering, what teams can realistically actually afford the Sedins this summer? What teams actually have the Cap room and will need two top 5 forwards?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they re-sign in Vancouver or sign in Toronto.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
I'd love to see LA grab 'em. Can they afford them?

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:55 PM
trbr86

vCash: 50
This was a topic last night on the Team 1040. The four teams the hosts could come up with who may have the salary cap space to afford them and the need for top-six forwards were:

New York Islanders
Edmonton Oilers
Toronto Maple Leafs
Montreal Canadiens

...So, in other words: Sedins to VAN, NYI, EDM, TOR, or MTL (E3).

trbr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 04:58 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Montreal and Anahiem jump to mind. Both have a huge number of free agents after this year.

Kunitz - Getzlaf - Perry
Sedin - Sedin - Ryan

Pretty darn good top 6. Ryan is a perfect RW for the twins with his size and power. Of course, the Ducks would have to fill their bottom 6 and bottom 4 defense with a lot of cheapo guys and prospects.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Benji Frank

If you can get the two of them together for under 12 mill per, lots of teams will make room. It'll be up to the Sedin's where they want to play...... my guess is they'll stay in Vancouver....

Benji Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:02 PM
trbr86

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Frank View Post
If you can get the two of them together for under 12 mill per, lots of teams will make room. It'll be up to the Sedin's where they want to play...... my guess is they'll stay in Vancouver....
If the Sedins are willing to sign for under $12m or less, they aren't even going to see free agency.

trbr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbr86 View Post
This was a topic last night on the Team 1040. The four teams the hosts could come up with who may have the salary cap space to afford them and the need for top-six forwards were:

New York Islanders
Edmonton Oilers
Toronto Maple Leafs
Montreal Canadiens

...So, in other words: Sedins to VAN, NYI, EDM, TOR, or MTL (E3).
The Oilers would have to move a fair bit of salary to sign the Sedins even at $10M for the pair.

St. Louis and Minnesota could also manage the cap space.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:03 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post

Columbus? Know they don't like to spend up to the cap, but I think they'd play well under Hitch.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Schennanigans

Hopefully not Toronto. Though I fear Burke may make a strong pitch for them.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:04 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
I wouldn't mind seeing them with the Kings (some Kings fans probably would mind though) along with Gaborik. As much as I dislike them playing against the Flames, they'd be a great line.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:07 PM
FuzzyTitus

So far Burrows has been the sedins best linemate this year, they don't always need a big power forward.

If the Sedin's are adamant on their contracts, and GMMG doesn't want to sign them, I hope that he deals them at the deadline. Playoffs or not we cannot replace their production or afford to lose them in the summer. It would just be stalling the inevitable if we kept them around and they can't come to terms on an agreement.

FuzzyTitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Kingjordan

No LA cant spend that much money on twins...when they have so many young kids they need to resign.

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Leafidelity

vCash: 1775
No thanks from Toronto.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:16 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Montreal and Anahiem jump to mind. Both have a huge number of free agents after this year.

Kunitz - Getzlaf - Perry
Sedin - Sedin - Ryan

Pretty darn good top 6. Ryan is a perfect RW for the twins with his size and power. Of course, the Ducks would have to fill their bottom 6 and bottom 4 defense with a lot of cheapo guys and prospects.
And who plays defense?

Old
02-20-2009, 05:16 PM
18Mike18

leafs should take them

18Mike18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbr86 View Post
If the Sedins are willing to sign for under $12m or less, they aren't even going to see free agency.
I have a feeling the kicker will be a no-trade. You gotta think both want one. If so, I think that probably kicks them down a Mill or so per season and will they be willing to take that little.

The Canucks need to resign Luongo, Kesler, Burrows, Ohlund ,Mitchell + in the next two years. While Ohlund and Mitchell will likely take similar salaries, Kesler, Burrows and Luongo are going to command significant pay raises.

The fact that they are first liners or not is debatable. So why handcuff yourself with a giant contract for two players who may or may not be first liners.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:21 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
No thanks from Toronto.
I personally wouldn't mind having them. They never get injured their chemistry is phenominal and they produce at a PPG rate. Not to mention they both back check and forecheck. I think we would be stupid not to entertain the idea they are under 30 as well.

Their is also the Burke factor as well. I would rather go for them then the always injured Gaborik and Havlat who will command more money.

Old
02-20-2009, 05:27 PM
HNIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post

I would rather go for them then the always injured Gaborik and Havlat who will command more money.
That is true. With the Sedins you are taking less risk as opposed to Gaborik or Havlat. Im pretty sure the Sedins would want to resign with Vancouver, Vancouver needs them too. They are like Vancouver's franchise players - with the Sedins gone who would be their poster boy/boys, Luongo?

Last edited by HNIC: 02-20-2009 at 05:58 PM.
HNIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:31 PM
jared37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post

Kunitz - Getzlaf - Perry
Sedin - Sedin - Ryan

that would be one of the best 2nd lines in a nhl in a LONG time

jared37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:32 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNIC View Post
That is true. With the Sedins you are taking less risk as opposed to Gaborik or Havlat. Im pretty sure the Sedins would want to resign with Vancouver, Vancouver needs them too. They are like Vancouver's fanchise players - with the Sedins gone who would be their poster boy/boys, Luongo?
One rumor is Vancouver is going to go hard after Gaborik and Housa using Demitra as bate and not re-sign the twins.

I personally see them re-signing in Vancouver though. Only time will tell.

Old
02-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
It's sounding more now like it is about term then dollar amount. Gillis is a well-known term-o-phobe who doesn't like giving out much over 4 years, and apparently the Twins want 5-7 years minimum on their contracts; so there is a bit of hang-up on the length versus dollar versus NTC issue.

If that's the case I'm thinking they'll be retained in Vancouver for around 5 years at $5.5 million with NTC's.

Fictional Realism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Peter Griffin

Four of 5 years at $5.75M per with limited NTC's is what I expect them to get.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Leafidelity

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
I personally wouldn't mind having them. They never get injured their chemistry is phenominal and they produce at a PPG rate. Not to mention they both back check and forecheck. I think we would be stupid not to entertain the idea they are under 30 as well.

Their is also the Burke factor as well. I would rather go for them then the always injured Gaborik and Havlat who will command more money.
I dont want to tie that much money up on two players that couldn't be more soft. We need aggression, not twin slumber parties. Thats going to be the problem with them moving as a unit, Id take one but not both.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 05:35 PM
GeeoffBrown

Any chance they get separated? I think Daniel is worth a little more than Henrik TBH.

GeeoffBrown is offline   Reply With Quote