HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

jason spezza...

Old
02-20-2009, 09:18 PM
PenguinGuru*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Im dipping my quill pen in a jar of Mark Gandlers blood right now.

Quote:
A girl phoned me the other day and said... Come on over, there's nobody home. I went over. Nobody was home.
LOL

No respect, just like Rodney.

PenguinGuru* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 09:42 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
He won those rings riding shotgun with Jordan. On his own it didnt go so well. did you forget that?

It was not meant as a slam. He is a fine player, but he is probably still not the main horse. With him a team is still going to need a leader that can make the big play at crunch time. A complimentary force.
Yeah, no question there. Spezza is primarily a playmaker and works best when paired with an elite winger.

You could also say that Jordan didn't win those rings without Pippen mind you.

That's why I love the fact that Spezza and Heatley are locked up long term.

If hockey was a five player game where the top line played 50%+ of the game, the Sens would be an absolute force, but it's not. The issue with the Sens is the fact there is no consistent second line center. No one line should be expected to produce 45% of a team's offense. That's screwed up.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2009, 10:24 PM
The King of Town

Since when is 6 points in 5 games bad?

Since someone brought up Lecavalier, do you remember how incomplete of a player (for lack of a better term) he was when he was Spezza's age? Or are you ignoring all that on purpose? You do realise that Spezza is only 25 years old?

I've said this before, but it's worth repeating: Imagine if the Flames had traded away Iginla 3 short seasons ago when he only put up 67 points in 82 games. Imagine if the Sharks had traded away Marleau last year after his 48 point season. The list goes on. Bad years happen.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 06:26 AM
djavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Clancy View Post
Since when is 6 points in 5 games bad?

Since someone brought up Lecavalier, do you remember how incomplete of a player (for lack of a better term) he was when he was Spezza's age? Or are you ignoring all that on purpose? You do realise that Spezza is only 25 years old?

I've said this before, but it's worth repeating: Imagine if the Flames had traded away Iginla 3 short seasons ago when he only put up 67 points in 82 games. Imagine if the Sharks had traded away Marleau last year after his 48 point season. The list goes on. Bad years happen.
i never said 6 points in 5 games was bad... however, when we have folks saying he is one of the best centers in the league i don't feel that those numbers - during the team's best win streak of the season - prove that...

your examples are plausible, but after four full seasons were any of your examples being paid 7-8 million per season?

and if, as some have suggested here, ottawa is bad for him then perhaps the two don't match...

please, don't misconstrue what i am saying...

clearly spezza has skill and i would never deny that...

what's being presented here is what he's done over the last 100+ games related to the team's success - please remember that we are always told that your best players need to be at their best - then some level of accountability should be held...

djavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 06:33 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

They made it to the finals with him as the #1 center so yes they can. They need better depth though

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 06:39 AM
BigT2002

I think the issue for Sens is they rely too much on 3 offensive forwards to carry the workload of their scoring? Teams just have had better success shutting down Spezza than Heatley and Alfie

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 06:45 AM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I think the issue for Sens is they rely too much on 3 offensive forwards to carry the workload of their scoring? Teams just have had better success shutting down Spezza than Heatley and Alfie
You have to ask yourself then, what do you think is an easier hole to fill? Secondary scoring, or a legitimate 1st line Center?

I really don't see any particular rush to trade Spezza. Just be patient and let free agency, trades and drafting fix the rest. Only rational thing to do in my mind.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Lundmark17

6 points over the best five games of the team's season, not bad but I'll agree it's not great. Something that is being left out of this point is the Sens aren't a very good team this year plain and simple.

Even during the Sens' struggles last year he led the team in points and I believe had a career year.

Lundmark17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundmark17 View Post
6 points over the best five games of the team's season, not bad but I'll agree it's not great. Something that is being left out of this point is the Sens aren't a very good team this year plain and simple.

Even during the Sens' struggles last year he led the team in points and I believe had a career year.
Indeed. However, he could have hit 100 pts in 05-06 if he was healthy. That's besides the point, though.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
I'll never understand why they traded Yashin for him...

Chehabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
Indeed. However, he could have hit 100 pts in 05-06 if he was healthy. That's besides the point, though.
Almost 110 points, actually.

It's about on-par with Malkin's production at a similar age.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote