HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bertuzzi Suspencion Verdict Is In

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2004, 11:22 AM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
He got way too much, this is ridiculous.

Every other players who did the same only got an average of 12 matchs.

Gotta have to thank the media for this one!
You gotta be kidding! He broke a guys neck, former NHLers Sittler and Bossy said, "Whats next? Is someone going to get killed on the ice"?

IMO opinion he has gotten off lightly, hopefully he will be suspended for the majority of next season too.

Old
03-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Corey

I'm sure most of you followed the entire sequence. Bertuzzi stalked Moore for several seconds, caught up with him from behind, and with Moore in a totally defenseless position grabbed his jersey and hit him as hard as he could, then smashed him down to the ice and remained on top of him. This is criminal. But if you don't like the suspension, it's too damned bad. It's the right one. If you want to brood, go right ahead. The opinion of meatheads isn't going to change it. Learn to live with it. Maturity will eventually change your outlook (I hope).

Old
03-11-2004, 11:25 AM
habitual_hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
That incident, as ugly as it turned out IMO was not intentional.
How do you know it wasn't intentional. The Canuck's dressing room was seething after Moore's LEGAL hit on Naslund. May explicitly called for a bounty on Moore's head. Bertuzzi implicity threatened Moore with injurious revenge - "Moore won't be playing in March", to paraphrase what Bertuzzi said. Taking that comment into consideration with the fact that Bertuzzi stalked Moore prior to the assault and you've got a very strong case for intention.

Quote:
a) Yes Todd meant to sucker punch him...
In otherwords, Bertuzzi intended to assault Moore.

Quote:
b) No I don't think that Todd Bertuzzi 'pre-meditated' putting Moore in to a hospital bed with a broken neck...
No, but according to Bertuzzi's prior comments concerning revenge against Moore, he intended to injure him and injure him badly. That's premeditation.

Quote:
c) I believe the injury came with the fall, and the subsequent landing on him by Bert... Who IMO fell on him because he lost his balance as Moore looks completely knocked out and Bert looks as if he fell with Moore while holding his jersey...
Jesus, we must have seen two different versions of the incident. I saw Bertuzzi fall on Moore, making damn sure Moore's head struck the ice with full force. An assault intended to injure Moore as much as possible - which Bertuzzi had implicitly threatened to do.

Here's hoping Bettman doesn't allow him back into the game.

Old
03-11-2004, 11:28 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
c) I believe the injury came with the fall, and the subsequent landing on him by Bert... Who IMO fell on him because he lost his balance as Moore looks completely knocked out and Bert looks as if he fell with Moore while holding his jersey...

Taking those 3 facts in to consideration... I can't see how Bert deserves the suspension he received.
He totally had his forearm across the back of his neck and if you look at the replays you can see he is pulling his arm back for another punch agter the fall, but the Avalanche player jumps him to prevent another hit.

He deserves much more...and his statement "I never ment to hurt you". Ok, when you hit someone from behind or get into a fight your whole intent is to hurt the player.

I'm from the Northern Ontario and know people who played aghainst Bertuzzi and they have all stated that this was he style in Bantam and Midget too...he is a loose canon that should be severly punished.

The NHL is a game, but no one is beyond the game or the law.

Old
03-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
My friend, this isn't a freak injury. It's an injury inflicted by a freak. On the street it's called mugging, and if the perpetrator is caught he's put away for a long time. If one of your family members were mugged and injured in this manner you'd be talking out of the other side of your mouth. Fortunately, Colin Campbell is wiser than you. It's time you grew up and appreciated tour role in society. Hockey's just a game. Remember? It doesn't justify mayhem.
Yes it is a 'silly little game' as Nieuwendyk put it... But to many people it is a very serious 'little game' where tempers flare over little things... Bertuzzi's not a criminal, or a freak... Bertuzzi is not a thief nor would he be mugging my relatives on the street. He lost his cool (as it's allowed to do in moderation via NHL rules) and stepped over the line of which is allowed, and which is not allowed. Many players do step over the line over the course of a year... And if you ever played the game before (competitively) and lost your temper... You should know what it feels like to want to get some one so bad you can taste it. Espescially when they got away scott free for screwing one big thing for Markus, a guy you spend 200 + days with in a season... And giving him a major injury getting away because rules say that he was not in the wrong... Yet if you've seen the Naslund injury... that was extremely ugly as well.. Moore had time for Mercy... Yet according to him:

"I was just finishing my check"

No apology... no nothing. To be on the brink of losing all you've worked for in a year because some rookie was careless, and unforgiving... Would be very upsetting to say the least. It may be a silly little game, but you must remember this is

a) these guys career, what they do now means everything to them...

b) these guys are family... so in context... How does the Naslund thing sit on you if that was your Brother?

Comments about Colin Campbell and me and wisdom... simply don't fit... as I at least would have seen to it that Moore WAS punished for the crime he committed therefore RELIEVING the pressure from the situation. That my friend is a wise choice. And it was NOT Colin Campbell's idea... it was mine.

Old
03-11-2004, 11:31 AM
tritone

Philosophy

I think it would be interesting to see what a philosopher who happens to follow hockey would have to say about this whole thing. I'm not sure which side he would be on but I for one have seen nothing from either side of the fence that has gotten me to take a side.

Every argument and every statement being posted seems to be poetically written words of emotion . Where is the reasoning ? Where are the historical references for the "unwritten laws" ? What does anyone know about Justice from a legal and moral stand ?

Old
03-11-2004, 11:33 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
He got way too much, this is ridiculous.

Every other players who did the same only got an average of 12 matchs.

Gotta have to thank the media for this one!
yeah but you got to remember this is not the first time he's been heavily suspended, he's been suspended many times before including a 10 game suspension for creating a bench clearing brawl and a big one for hitting the linemen during a fight when he waz with the nyi.

so trust me he got off lucky, he's a pure "repeat offender".

Old
03-11-2004, 11:35 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
My friend, this isn't a freak injury. It's an injury inflicted by a freak. On the street it's called mugging, and if the perpetrator is caught he's put away for a long time. If one of your family members were mugged and injured in this manner you'd be talking out of the other side of your mouth. Fortunately, Colin Campbell is wiser than you. It's time you grew up and appreciated tour role in society. Hockey's just a game. Remember? It doesn't justify mayhem.
Sure it doesn't justify mayhem, but the league and Mr. Campbell have to realize that what they did was just to wash their dirty hands and all that was too late. They should have intervened after Moore's hit on Naslund. Then if Bertuzzi would have behaved the same penalize him. Too late Mr. Campbell and not fair, not fair for the Canucks and not fair the fans here in Vancouver. Bertuzzi is he a monster, is he the victim of the league's stupidy?

Old
03-11-2004, 11:36 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Yet if you've seen the Naslund injury... that was extremely ugly as well.. Moore had time for Mercy... Yet according to him:

No apology... no nothing.
Moore did contact Naslund to see how he was doing and apologized.

The Naslund hit and Bertuzzi incident are not even close in reference...your way off on compairing such incidents.

Old
03-11-2004, 11:40 AM
#44_delivers

i still can't believe some people are blaming the league and the media, guyz get it through your heads bertuzzi crossed a thin line from a contact sport to a near slaughter, this is not hockey and should not occur in hockey the fact that burtuzzi has a "rep.." doesnt make it easier on him self, the league did the right thing this is not acceptable.

you guyz seem to forget who the real victim is in all of this.

Old
03-11-2004, 11:44 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
i still can't believe some people are blaming the league and the media, guyz get it through your heads bertuzzi crossed a thin line from a contact sport to a near slaughter, this is not hockey and should not occur in hockey the fact that burtuzzi has a "rep.." doesnt make it easier on him self, the league did the right thing this is not acceptable.

you guyz seem to forget who the real victim is in all of this.
The real victim is the game of Hockey. Injuries happen, players recover, suspensions are completed, but the game has been tarnished and the league walked away after the facts with no intervention before.

Old
03-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
The opinion of meatheads isn't going to change it. Learn to live with it. Maturity will eventually change your outlook (I hope).
That's right... Call me a 'meathead' and question MY maturity... Because I differ on opinion on this incident... It's funny how I can be immature, yet you are the one getting insulting and disrespectful about the situation because I don't agree with you the ruling. We can differ on opinions, just don't question my integrity as a person, or my intelligence... Because that was not called for, and frankly... You don't know me as a person to make such a bold claim.

Old
03-11-2004, 11:52 AM
romain_jaime

Quote:
Yet if you've seen the Naslund injury... that was extremely ugly as well.. Moore had time for Mercy... Yet according to him:

No apology... no nothing.

There is a HUGE difference between totally drilling a playing with his head down with a clean check and attacking a guy from behind and drilling his head into the ice.

Old
03-11-2004, 11:53 AM
#44_delivers

everybody relax this is a controversial issue.

remember we're all cheering for the best team in the world lets not get angry at one another from diffirence of opinion.

gohabsgo

Old
03-11-2004, 11:54 AM
romain_jaime

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
everybody relax this is a controversial issue.

remember we're all cheering for the best team in the world lets not get angry at one another from diffirence of opinion.

gohabsgo

And you are who?

Old
03-11-2004, 11:59 AM
PaulPosition

Okay, how's that for a stupid comment.. :

'How about, then, getting Bettman to excise a bit of 'good hockey justice' like some people here seems to like. Maybe instead of suspending Todd we migh get Bettman or Campbell a baseball bat so he goes and hit on Bert and send him to hospital (well if everything's allright. Let's just hope not the morgue.). ?

Would that be allright with you Don Cherry types?

Old
03-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Corey

Quote:
That's right... Call me a 'meathead' and question MY maturity... Because I differ on opinion on this incident... It's funny how I can be immature, yet you are the one getting insulting and disrespectful about the situation because I don't agree with you the ruling. We can differ on opinions, just don't question my integrity as a person, or my intelligence... Because that was not called for, and frankly... You don't know me as a person to make such a bold claim.
I know enough. You reveal yourself.

Old
03-11-2004, 12:46 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I think that the NHL is being too harsh. They are sending the wrong message again. So it's not a big deal for a player like Marchment who's tried to end players careers with taking out a knee (cause he's done this several times and only gotten a slap on the wrist) or it's not a big deal to stick your elbow to stop someone from coming down the ice at full speed (which can kill you, as a shot to the nose can be deadly if hard enough) as that got only 2 games (which was the biggest load of crap)

What Bert did was very wrong and he should be out for the season, but the problem I have is with the NHL and their lack of consistency towards handing out suspenions.

Old
03-11-2004, 12:48 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Moore did contact Naslund to see how he was doing and apologized.

The Naslund hit and Bertuzzi incident are not even close in reference...your way off on compairing such incidents.
Bertuzzi is either confessing he didn't know what he was doing or he's trying to soften the punishment to himself. I wasn't impressed by his public appearance. He has a history. He's concerned more about himself than about Moore.

Old
03-11-2004, 12:50 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I think that the NHL is being too harsh. They are sending the wrong message again. So it's not a big deal for a player like Marchment who's tried to end players careers with taking out a knee (cause he's done this several times and only gotten a slap on the wrist) or it's not a big deal to stick your elbow to stop someone from coming down the ice at full speed (which can kill you, as a shot to the nose can be deadly if hard enough) as that got only 2 games (which was the biggest load of crap)

What Bert did was very wrong and he should be out for the season, but the problem I have is with the NHL and their lack of consistency towards handing out suspenions.
Inconsistent? They're following the previously set McSorley example for gross misconduct.

Old
03-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPosition
Okay, how's that for a stupid comment.. :

'How about, then, getting Bettman to excise a bit of 'good hockey justice' like some people here seems to like. Maybe instead of suspending Todd we migh get Bettman or Campbell a baseball bat so he goes and hit on Bert and send him to hospital (well if everything's allright. Let's just hope not the morgue.). ?

Would that be allright with you Don Cherry types?

Maybe Campbell/Bettman should enforce rules so that incidents such as this dont happen. Maybe Bettman/Campbell should have listened to the Vancouver Canucks 3 weeks ago when they cried foul on Steve Moore, and rather than wait for something like this happen... Have the issue debated out, and a penalty enforced. Or simply to relieve pressure from the first incident...

Yes the initial contact by Bertuzzi was cheap... that IMO was the gross misconduct that Bert did (the sucker punch)... The whole play started from an error in judgement by Bert. The falling on Moore IMO was an attempt (and apparently it worked) to villify Bertuzzi to the public...

Yes it is a shame that a young athlete broke 2 verterbrae in the incident... And in this scenario, you can only wish a speedy recovery. In the same breath, accidents do happen... Bert did try and start something, but what wound up happening, seemed like he did not expect Steve to fall after the punch, and braced for impact (as I've said, it looked accidental to me... But everything must be villified nowadays...) Every one wants to believe this is malicious... Yes Todd deserved a suspension, and a long one (reg season... 14 games is long) but IMO I don't think Todd swung his hand saying "I wanna break his neck" no matter how many reports of previous comments about the original incident are tredged up.

Old
03-11-2004, 12:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Inconsistent? They're following the previously set McSorley example for gross misconduct.

Again, so they are saying taking out a knee is minor stuff or using your elbow to the head in minor. Yes they are being inconsistent imo.

Old
03-11-2004, 01:19 PM
habitual_hab

Quote:
Again, so they are saying taking out a knee is minor stuff or using your elbow to the head in minor. Yes they are being inconsistent imo.
Montreal, I've read your comments on the Bertuzzi-Moore incident and I can understand your point of view, but...

Elbows to the head are an infraction of the rules, as are taking out knees. I agree that ANY attempt to injure should be dealt with much more severely by the NHL and that shots to the head, whether intentional or, as in the Naslund-More case unintentional, should be severely penalized.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all prior incidents (McSorely et al) were done within the context of the game. That is to say that, to my knowledge, they were not premeditated weeks in advance and took place in the heat of battle.

Bertuzzi's assault of Moore was premeditated weeks in advance as Bertuzzi stated that Moore wouldn't play past March. Whether or not Bertuzzi planned to sucker-punch Moore and drive his head into the ice is besides the point - Bertuzzi stated implicitly that he planned to injure Moore enough so that Moore's season would be finished. And that, in my mind, is what sets this incident apart from any other.

Old
03-11-2004, 01:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitual_hab
Montreal, I've read your comments on the Bertuzzi-Moore incident and I can understand your point of view, but...

Elbows to the head are an infraction of the rules, as are taking out knees. I agree that ANY attempt to injure should be dealt with much more severely by the NHL and that shots to the head, whether intentional or, as in the Naslund-More case unintentional, should be severely penalized.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all prior incidents (McSorely et al) were done within the context of the game. That is to say that, to my knowledge, they were not premeditated weeks in advance and took place in the heat of battle.

Bertuzzi's assault of Moore was premeditated weeks in advance as Bertuzzi stated that Moore wouldn't play past March. Whether or not Bertuzzi planned to sucker-punch Moore and drive his head into the ice is besides the point - Bertuzzi stated implicitly that he planned to injure Moore enough so that Moore's season would be finished. And that, in my mind, is what sets this incident apart from any other.

My whole problem is that the NHL lets BS stuff go with a slap on the wrist. We can't say for sure, but maybe if the NHL was tougher on cheap shots (which happen often) this may have been avoided.

I just don't agree with being so harsh on Bert yet Marchment, McLaren and others get nothing.

Old
03-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Corey

Quote:
Sorry, but vicious hits to the head are in a category by themself. They can kill or cause brain damage. You can go through life with a gimpy knee, bad as that is to a professional athlete.

Closed Thread