HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why is Sidney Crosby bashed so much?

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2009, 12:59 AM
AgentNaslund*

vCash: 500
people hate him because hes good. Nothing more. NHL is trying to market him like the NBA did to Michael Jordan, but since the fans realize this, they don't like it. Fans will use any excuse to attack him.

If he acts like Ovechkin it wouldnt be funny.

If he acts like 85% of all NHL players, he does not have Personality.

Old
02-21-2009, 12:59 AM
PenguinGuru*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperkookeez View Post
he is respected for his skill

he gets bashed because of his immaturity. its perfectly legit
I wasn't even drinking milk when I read that, but I laughed so hard it came out of my nose anyways.

When this kid entered the league as an 18 year old he was the most mature acting player on the team. Which included Lemieux.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:01 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinGuru View Post
I wasn't even drinking milk when I read that, but I laughed so hard it came out of my nose anyways.

When this kid entered the league as an 18 year old he was the most mature acting player on the team. Which included Lemieux.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:03 AM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:

Which is why he took a ton of retaliation penalties, becoming the first rookie in NHL history to score 100 points and record 100 PIMs.

Homer much?

Old
02-21-2009, 01:04 AM
Stubbs88

people love to hate the great players, no matter how good your are there are going to be people that hate you.
you have to admit though crosby has it all, sure ovechkin is the games purest scorer, and thornton is an unbelievable playmaker, but crosby puts them both together.

andddd he usually has the ability to make players around him better, but that doesnt seem to be the case this year

Old
02-21-2009, 01:05 AM
Iwishihadacup

Pretty simple reasonz:

he is overhyped to a point that the medias hyping him are being totally wrong

he always looks like he is ready to cry when people shove him a bit around

he whines to the refs constantly and dives

I dunno if you guys remember his ankle injury against the lightning that year, but on the video, he clearly looks like he stares at the ref to get a penalty more than he care about the security of his own body

Old
02-21-2009, 01:06 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
He's a cry baby, has no personality, is a drone for Bettman (Timbits, anyone?), and isn't a big game player.
Timbits? What's the connection with Bettman?

If you've seen any of Bettmans interviews this year, all he does is talk about the caps and Ovechkin.

Quote:
He knows how to put up alot of points (mainly assists), but isn't the guy who's going to save you when you need to tie the game. Can you think of any big plays he made in last years playoffs? I sure can't, but I can think of several for both Malkin and Hossa.
He scored some big goals against Detroit, and was the only player that had any life in that series.

He finished tied for first in points, all the while playing on half an ankle. And you are somehow trying to spin this against him?

Old
02-21-2009, 01:06 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

There are many reasons Sid get's the hate that he does:

1 - He is marketed more then anyone else, which pisses people off. Regardless of the fact that he did a lot to revive the NHL after the lockout, people feel that their favorite players should get more attention. Honestly I don't care who they market. The NHL is a business and they're going to ride the Crosby cash-cow as long as they can, which is what they should do.

2 - He gives 'boring' interviews. He;s been under the microscope since his early teens and has been taught to say the right things. However, if you're going to pick a player based on his interview skild then you aren't a hockey fan.

3 - He was a whiner/diver his rookie year. He was getting abused every night and didn't handle it very well. Now that he's been labeled as a diver/whiner people will always revert to it whenever he talks to the refs or gets knocked down. Crosby's matures over the past 4 years but some fans haven't

4 - Because of his popularity, everything that he does is shown over and over, the bad and the good. Noone's perfect but luckily not many people have their mistakes repeatedly shown and talked bout.

5 - Normal star hatred. Look at Jeter and Manning. They're great players, which makes fans of opposing teams hate them.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:07 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3yn0w View Post
He scored some big goals against Detroit, and was the only player that had any life in that series.

He finished tied for first in points, all the while playing on half an ankle. And you are somehow trying to spin this against him?
Marian Hossa anyone? He had me more worried than Crosby did.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:07 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
He's a cry baby, has no personality, is a drone for Bettman (Timbits, anyone?), and isn't a big game player.

He knows how to put up alot of points (mainly assists), but isn't the guy who's going to save you when you need to tie the game. Can you think of any big plays he made in last years playoffs? I sure can't, but I can think of several for both Malkin and Hossa.
Yes.

Also,

Crosby - 6 g, 21 a for 27 pts
Hossa - 12 g, 14 a for 26 pts
Malkin - 10 g, 12 a for 22 pts

Old
02-21-2009, 01:08 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Pretty simple reasonz:

he is overhyped to a point that the medias hyping him are being totally wrong

he always looks like he is ready to cry when people shove him a bit around

he whines to the refs constantly and dives
No he doesn't. He did as an 18 year old rookie, and the rep has stuck with him. How many penguins games have you watched this year?

Quote:
I dunno if you guys remember his ankle injury against the lightning that year, but on the video, he clearly looks like he stares at the ref to get a penalty more than he care about the security of his own body
This is right up there with 9/11 conspiracies. He was looking at the puck, not the ref.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Shane

Because he's not Ovechkin.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:10 AM
shadow1

Quote:
Timbits? What's the connection with Bettman?

If you've seen any of Bettmans interviews this year, all he does is talk about the caps and Ovechkin.
Because Bettman markets him however he wants, and he goes along with it.

Quote:

It's funny that you mention that because Hossa had 3 goals and 7 points in that series. Crosby had two goals, both in one game, and 6 points. Not saying that's bad production, just saying.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:12 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
His immaturity on the ice. His constant whining, embellishing and diving on the ice becomes annoying after a while. Not to mention many of the fans and media hyping over him when some other players deserve more attention then him.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:12 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Because Bettman markets him however he wants, and he goes along with it.
Ya but I don't see the connection with Timbits, unless Bettman is a Tim Hortons share holder.

Crosby does the TimBits commercials because he used to be a TimBit player, and Tim Hortons saw it as a good advertising opportunity.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:14 AM
Hyperkookeez*

Quote:

stop sucking on the homerade. lets say we allow the age excuse slide

4 years later and hes still pulling the same immature crap

not including the whining and diving or ragdolling mclean.

punching a guy whos tied down by another player in the groin...thats maturity?

definitely not something face of the nhl should be doing at the highest professional level of hockey

Old
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
No he doesn't. He did as an 18 year old rookie, and the rep has stuck with him. How many penguins games have you watched this year?

This is right up there with 9/11 conspiracies. He was looking at the puck, not the ref.
6, 3 against the habs

its pretty clear he was looking at the ref

Old
kmad
Riot Survivor

[QUOTE=shadow1;18070303]Because Bettman markets him however he wants, and he goes along with it.[quote]

I think you need to figure out what a commissioner does. Bettman does not control who the media covers.

Quote:
It's funny that you mention that because Hossa had 3 goals and 7 points in that series. Crosby had two goals, both in one game, and 6 points.
And I guess you hate Malkin because he didn't show up at all.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:16 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post

its pretty clear he was looking at the ref
It's pretty clear Crosby bashers like to make things up.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Dirty Kari

He whines alot, is over marketed, over hyped, and does not have a ton of flash to his game/bland personality. He is also not the undisputed best player in the league. You put this all together and people are left asking "Why is this guy being force fed down my throat, what exactly makes him so special?" He is a fantastic player. Definitely a guy that will be contending for NHL lead in scoring every season he is healthy. He just doesn't deserve all this attention when he isn't even the best player on his team. I think thats an issue too. People also ask "Why doesn't Malkin get all this attention?". There are a lot of players in the league and the NHL's blatant attempt at marketing him over everyone else and before he really did anything (the Crosby commercials in his first season where ridiculous) soured some people. People are just completely over saturated.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:18 AM
shadow1

Quote:
Ya but I don't see the connection with Timbits, unless Bettman is a Tim Hortons share holder.

Crosby does the TimBits commercials because he used to be a TimBit player, and Tim Hortons saw it as a good advertising opportunity.
You honestly don't believe that Bettman had no hand in getting Crosby involved in those commercials, or any other commericals he does, do you?

The league has invested everything in him, and he HAS to come off as a nice, clean cut guy. I mean, that's fine, but that's also the reason some people don't like him; it makes him appear as "soft".

I'm just answering OP's question, honestly. I don't have much bias one way or the other. I wanted the Pens to win that series.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:19 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
First, he is an amazing and gifted athlete. Does he deserve to get bashed because of what the media has done? No because it wasn't his choice. However, the GM's in the league still put him up on this pedestal like he really is the next "Great One." I'm reminded of what was said with Kobe Bryant being the next Michael Jordan. You just can't compare them because of different era's and different styles of play. Crosby is a playmaker first and scorer 2nd.

Now why do I "dislike" him (if I can even say that):

1) he isn't the best Center in the league, and IMO is out of the Top 5 in my book (Dats, Malkin, Getzlaf, Thorton)
2) he cries about everything
3) was awarded the "C" because of hype no matter how much they play that off. He had a fantastic season that year though
4) he isn't the heart and soul of that team as we saw last year when he was IR'd and Malkin was the one who led them into the playoffs. And we have already seen who matters most this year
5) The AO vs Crosby feud has only gotten more and more lopsided as to who the better all around player is

100000001) he isn't on my team

As whats been stated, the media hype around him being the "Best player in the world" type thing is what is getting to most people. When you have players like Malkin, Getzlaf, Datsuyk going unmentioned in any type of media outside their regional areas it kind of gets to most people because in all honesty I would take all 3 of those players over Crosby in my fantasy league any day of the week. Crosby is a phenom and I hope he has some amazing seasons, but he isn't the ONLY reason the Pens are significant again. Keep in mind how many #1 picks they have playing on that team right now because of their bombed seasons. I think whats getting a lot of ppl still is that Ovechkin has done more with less than Crosby because of that. While AO has Greene and Semin, most of that team isn't as significant in the eyes of the media as a team which has basically 4 1st round picks playing every game (Crosby, Malkin, Staal, MAF).

Last edited by BigT2002: 02-21-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old
02-21-2009, 01:20 AM
shadow1

[QUOTE=Rakovsky;18070343][QUOTE=shadow1;18070303]Because Bettman markets him however he wants, and he goes along with it.
Quote:

I think you need to figure out what a commissioner does. Bettman does not control who the media covers.

And I guess you hate Malkin because he didn't show up at all.
I never said that. I said Bettman controls which commercials Crosby does and doesn't do. He's a puppet; the league's poster boy.

I don't hate Malkin, nor do I hate Crosby. I'm just pointing out the facts.

Old
02-21-2009, 01:24 AM
ChuckNorris

Send a message via ICQ to ChuckNorris Send a message via MSN to ChuckNorris
the topic should be titled "Why Sidney Crosby isn't bashed so much? Let's get it on!"

Old
02-21-2009, 01:24 AM
Kman777

Personally I love him, must have the best strength for size ratio in the game. Great player, been called overrated for so long now he's underrated. I haven't noticed him whining or being a crybaby when I watch him. He's modest and not outspoken, and isn't a moron. Ovechkin doing that thing in the allstar game was really stupid, can't believe people actually think that was clever. Crosby's always fun to watch too cause you never know what he's gonna do.

And I'm not a Pens fan.

Closed Thread