HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why is Sidney Crosby bashed so much?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2009, 01:34 AM
  #51
PenguinGuru*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sexburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Which is why he took a ton of retaliation penalties, becoming the first rookie in NHL history to score 100 points and record 100 PIMs.

Homer much?

LOL he drew about 5 times as many penalties as he retaliated against. If your best player got tested and cheap shoted as much as the "hot new rookie" did he would have curled up in the infantile position, rocked back and forth gently, and mumbled something about snakes covering his whole body.

Comparing those 100 PIM to what he fought through should yield the Lady Bing to Crosby.

PenguinGuru* is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:37 AM
  #52
PenguinGuru*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sexburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday View Post
Marian Hossa anyone? He had me more worried than Crosby did.
yeah I had to ignore that guy, is he still using some fat guy as an avatar? Dont answer that.

Hossa said himself that Malkin was the best player in the world, but what we got in the finals was a banged up and tired Malkin. By the time he found his game it was too late.

Crosby was pretty consistent but Malkin (without Hossa) had the best line through the first 10 games in the playoffs for the Pens.

PenguinGuru* is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:39 AM
  #53
Get To Our Game
Registered User
 
Get To Our Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinGuru View Post
LOL he drew about 5 times as many penalties as he retaliated against. If your best player got tested and cheap shoted as much as the "hot new rookie" did he would have curled up in the infantile position, rocked back and forth gently, and mumbled something about snakes covering his whole body.

Comparing those 100 PIM to what he fought through should yield the Lady Bing to Crosby.
And I'm pretty sure that's about what Crosby did his rookie year. He was extremely immature and whiny. It's not hard to admit.

Get To Our Game is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:40 AM
  #54
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinGuru View Post
LOL he drew about 5 times as many penalties as he retaliated against. If your best player got tested and cheap shoted as much as the "hot new rookie" did he would have curled up in the infantile position, rocked back and forth gently, and mumbled something about snakes covering his whole body.

Comparing those 100 PIM to what he fought through should yield the Lady Bing to Crosby.
do you watch ANY games outside of the Pens? Seriously.

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:42 AM
  #55
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 52,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
people hate him because hes good.
Eh. I see it actually as different.

Yes he is a great player with remarkable talent but he was also touted up to be the next Gretzky. By the media. By Canadians. By Pittsburgh fans.

And he just isn't Gretzky and never will be. He's a little over hyped. He's wayyyyyyy over commercialized. I'm just plain sick of seeing him every chance the NHL gets to show me him.

I have no problem with the NHL marketing him, because he is one of the super stars of the league right now. But so is Zetterberg and I rarely see him on any NHL commercials.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:43 AM
  #56
NewFang
Registered User
 
NewFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
do you watch ANY games outside of the Pens? Seriously.
You're giving him too much credit. Have you see his posts?

NewFang is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:44 AM
  #57
PenguinGuru*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sexburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir150 View Post
And I'm pretty sure that's about what Crosby did his rookie year. He was extremely immature and whiny. It's not hard to admit.
Meh, on the ice? Sure he whined to the refs. A lot.

But I was thinking more in terms of off the ice and when conducting interviews.

But yeah the whinney rap was legit.

PenguinGuru* is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:47 AM
  #58
titaniumexpose
HF Pens:Got Future?
 
titaniumexpose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 'Burbs of C'bus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
I can see the reputation for whining/crying in the past coming in to play here, but seeing as he's the team captain (whether people) like it or not he's the go-between for his coaches and the officials on the ice. Why don't we put every team captain under the microscope here and see what we get.

I agree with those who say he is over hyped and overrated (been a Pens fan since '91 and fan of hockey as well). This is the first year I've had center ice and have had the chance to watch as many teams and players as possible rather than what NBC and Vs. has on. Malkin is undeniably the best player on the Pens. Also, through the other 29 teams there is a ridiculous amount of skill out there that is just plain ignored by the national media. I just wonder if some people's opinions might be different if they got to see the whole league play more frequently rather than 'game of the week' stuff. That plays a big role in this discussion.

titaniumexpose is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:49 AM
  #59
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumexpose View Post
I can see the reputation for whining/crying in the past coming in to play here, but seeing as he's the team captain (whether people) like it or not he's the go-between for his coaches and the officials on the ice. Why don't we put every team captain under the microscope here and see what we get.
.

Sure lets compare him against Lidstrom, Sakic, Morrow, Nieds, Chara, Iggy, Nash, Lagenbrunner, Alfie, Marleau, Vinny, and Koivu and see what we get when he's compared then

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:50 AM
  #60
NewFang
Registered User
 
NewFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Malkin has been the best Pen all season, but Crosby hasn't been bad. BUt besides that, the Crosby hype was spawned with a phenomenal rookie and softmore season. That appeal and marketability doesn't just disappear overnight, but if Crosby continues to play 2nd and 3rd fiddle to Ovechkin, Malkin etc his days in the spotlight will slowly fade away.

To be honest, I don't think he will mind the spotlight off him anyways. Maybe it's starting to get to him afterall. I don;t know too many 21 year olds that could handle it.

NewFang is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:51 AM
  #61
NewFang
Registered User
 
NewFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Sure lets compare him against Lidstrom, Sakic, Morrow, Nieds, Chara, Iggy, Nash, Lagenbrunner, Alfie, Marleau, Vinny, and Koivu and see what we get when he's compared then
To be fair, he's much younger. I think making him captain at 19 was a mistake and he was thrown into a situation that he couldn't quite handle.

NewFang is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:54 AM
  #62
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,258
vCash: 500
Imagine if Crosby pulled that hat stunt in the breakaway challenge.

I think a collective groan would come from hfboards, with everybody saying how "lame" and "embarrassing" Crosby is.

kmad is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:55 AM
  #63
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3yn0w View Post
To be fair, he's much younger. I think making him captain at 19 was a mistake and he was thrown into a situation that he couldn't quite handle.
I was just going to edit my post to include that. Both him and Toews were given it faaaar too early either as a publicity stunt or because fan outcry they should have it. Both teams thought they had the next Stevie Y on their hands and while both are fantastic players, I don't think either really is the heart of those teams.

BTW:


BigT2002 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:56 AM
  #64
GIN ANTONIC
Registered User
 
GIN ANTONIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,441
vCash: 500
Well I couldn't get through the whole thread of bickering but I'll just say that it's mostly the hype and the marketing imo. He's supposed to be the next one or the next great one or the next next one or whatever. The fact i that he is being used as a tool or a pawn or whatever. A others have said there are other great players who rival Sid's talents and play but because of his pedigree of being a good ole Canadian (or north ameri an) he is shoved down everyone's throat. It's not his fault but it's not not his fault either. I mean he agrees to do those commercials and understands the consequences and publicity that follows. The fact is, that for every Sid commerical, there should be an OV commercial, or a Malkin or Green or Staals or Luongo or Thornton or Savard or Datsyuk or or or or... you get my point. He's marketed as the best in the game but he's not. Fans are getting sick of Sid and the Pens (because of that). He's a great player but he's not the greatest in the game right now and he shouldn't be treated/marketed as that either.

GIN ANTONIC is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:57 AM
  #65
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakovsky View Post
Imagine if Crosby pulled that hat stunt in the breakaway challenge.

I think a collective groan would come from hfboards, with everybody saying how "lame" and "embarrassing" Crosby is.
You know why ppl would have? Because Crosby doesn't come off with the charisma that AO does. Every time someone scores a goal when Ovy is on the ice he is jumping up and down happy as hell. What does Crosby do? Its no big deal to him unless its a super play. AO jumps into the boards and has FUN while he's out there. Why do you think so many ppl were laughing when he did that lil stunt? It was his personality coming out. Crosby comes off as bland and any attempt from him to do it would have come off as "they are just trying to change his persona" type comments.

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:59 AM
  #66
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3yn0w View Post
Malkin has been the best Pen all season, but Crosby hasn't been bad. BUt besides that, the Crosby hype was spawned with a phenomenal rookie and softmore season. That appeal and marketability doesn't just disappear overnight, but if Crosby continues to play 2nd and 3rd fiddle to Ovechkin, Malkin etc his days in the spotlight will slowly fade away.

To be honest, I don't think he will mind the spotlight off him anyways. Maybe it's starting to get to him afterall. I don;t know too many 21 year olds that could handle it.
No he will always be in the mix when it comes to Russian players running this league. Why? Personally, I think its because its easier to market someone who can speak fluent English. Its my continued reason as to why players like Datsuyk, Ovechkin, and importantly Malkin are kind of left out of the limelight because its hard to market someone who you can't have a fluent interview with. I mean out of the 3 of those, AO is the one who is most fluent and that isn't even at the level of Federov or Kovalev. Then again he's only been living her for how long compared to those two?

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 01:59 AM
  #67
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,705
vCash: 500
Crosby stopped being a whiney brat AFTER his 1st season, he is not a whiner at all anymore, all he does is talk to the ref. That aint whining, and he is Captain, therefore he has to talk to the ref in certain times to get them to call a penalty our way next time. He has matured ALOT, only whiners still think he's a whiner, and they are hypocrites for it and should be ignored at all costs because they are 2 year olds.

Crosby dives sometimes, yes to get a call but who cares? every NHLer in the game does this every now and then, Crosby gets abused alot and takes real sticks or is in a bad positon froma hit and goes down, or he slides to score goals by deflecting them, big whoop? he goes down from things that hurt him WAY more then he does himself to get a call. Stop watching NHL hockey if this bothers you.

Who cares about his marketing, and commercials, REally...i have yet to even get bothered by them at all, and i see him alot more then you guys. Ignore it, don't hate him because of this. The only one that actually bugs me alittle is the WJC Crosby commercial that has been going on since he was in the WJC.

His personality...again, WHO CARES! he is not talking to the media to entertain you, he is speaking his mind about the game that he just played, or answering a question the way he wants to answer it. He is mature as hell, and he always keeps his cool, but you can clearly see his passion during the games. I mean his whining when he does not get anything his way! Does it TRUELY matter that he does not try and make you laugh? why don't you go to one of your friends who don't make you laugh and tell them they are boring and that you hate them because they don't make you laugh.

66-29-33 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:02 AM
  #68
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 9,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
You honestly don't believe that Bettman had no hand in getting Crosby involved in those commercials, or any other commericals he does, do you?
You really are clueless about what the commissioner does, aren't you.

Bettman does not control every NHL ad. That's the NHL's marketing department. Those ads showcase a lot of different players- not just Crosby. And guess who the NHL offices have absolulty no control over whatsoever- companies not affiliated with the NHL, like Tim Hortons. In fact, it would be quite illegal for them to meddle with another company's affairs.

I know this is a lot for you to learn at this stage in your life, but Tim Horton's is a real business, with it's own office building and own little people who work in those offices. They make their own business and advertising decisions. That means that they decide who goes on TV to make people want to buy Tim Horton's. They are grown ups and have their own brains. They are not a secret front for NHL corporate offices.

cptjeff is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:05 AM
  #69
spizzle420
Registered User
 
spizzle420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: T.O.
Posts: 884
vCash: 500
Perhaps I'm a little biased but I tried reading every post with an open mind and it's the same BS answers.

Are you actually bashing him because of his "bland" interviews?

Are you ****ing dumb?

It's hockey. A sport. I'm going to judge him on how he performs the job he's being given. Not the over-forced commentary afterwards... not to mention a billion microscopes always on you. At least he isn't an ego-tistical **** who talks **** all the time... let alone back it up.

He's been on several ****y penguin squads year from year yet his play has always been top notch... oh and I think he's 21? Hart trophy at 19? **** man, imo it's been one of the more boring seasons watching him yet he's 3rd in the league in scoring, 2nd tomorrow... on a **** team... and yet you say he's a boring player and not dynamic....... wait till he reaches full potential... maybe he'll even have a winger that can take or pass a puck... (see hossa)


but despite all this, I h8 crosby cuz NHL advertise him and he complain when slashed kk

*** syndey

spizzle420 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:06 AM
  #70
cynic*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sea of Madness
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to cynic*
wha wha Crosby whines,wha wha Crosby dives... did you guys actually watch any Penguins games this season?

cynic* is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:06 AM
  #71
titaniumexpose
HF Pens:Got Future?
 
titaniumexpose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 'Burbs of C'bus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I was just going to edit my post to include that. Both him and Toews were given it faaaar too early either as a publicity stunt or because fan outcry they should have it. Both teams thought they had the next Stevie Y on their hands and while both are fantastic players, I don't think either really is the heart of those teams.

BTW:
I totally agree with you on that although I have not seen Toews as often as Crosby. Honestly I'm not even sure who the best candidate would be for Pens captain. Take that back - actually I think it should be Sergei Gonchar.. he just has that calming veteran presence out there.

titaniumexpose is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:07 AM
  #72
revolverjgw
Registered User
 
revolverjgw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
You know why ppl would have? Because Crosby doesn't come off with the charisma that AO does. Every time someone scores a goal when Ovy is on the ice he is jumping up and down happy as hell. What does Crosby do? Its no big deal to him unless its a super play. AO jumps into the boards and has FUN while he's out there. Why do you think so many ppl were laughing when he did that lil stunt? It was his personality coming out. Crosby comes off as bland and any attempt from him to do it would have come off as "they are just trying to change his persona" type comments.
Just because a player doesn't spaz out when they or their team scores doesn't mean they don't have a personality or passion or anything like that. Some guys just choose to show a little restraint. Do you really think goals were/are ''no big deal'' to, say, Joe Sakic or Peter Forsberg, just because they don't make a scene when they score?

revolverjgw is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:08 AM
  #73
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spizzle420 View Post
Perhaps I'm a little biased but I tried reading every post with an open mind and it's the same BS answers.

Are you actually bashing him because of his "bland" interviews?

Are you ****ing dumb?

It's hockey. A sport. I'm going to judge him on how he performs the job he's being given. Not the over-forced commentary afterwards... not to mention a billion microscopes always on you. At least he isn't an ego-tistical **** who talks **** all the time... let alone back it up.

He's been on several ****y penguin squads year from year yet his play has always been top notch... oh and I think he's 21? Hart trophy at 19? **** man, imo it's been one of the more boring seasons watching him yet he's 3rd in the league in scoring, 2nd tomorrow... on a **** team... and yet you say he's a boring player and not dynamic....... wait till he reaches full potential... maybe he'll even have a winger that can take or pass a puck... (see hossa)


but despite all this, I h8 crosby cuz NHL advertise him and he complain when slashed kk

*** syndey
Have 2 1st line centers and 1 2nd line center isn't helping your team any. You have no depth at Wing, and your probably right...if he had a true winger like Mario had Jagr, he would probably be lightyears ahead of Malkin the points race. However, simply put....this year he isn't the factor he is "supposed to be." While I know teams prepare for Sid on the ice, I can promise you teams like Boston are preparing more for Malkin on the ice than him.

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:09 AM
  #74
karnige
Real Life FTL
 
karnige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 13,501
vCash: 500
media pushes this guy down our throats

main reason is he is a whiner bigtime.

karnige is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:11 AM
  #75
GIN ANTONIC
Registered User
 
GIN ANTONIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Crosby stopped being a whiney brat AFTER his 1st season, he is not a whiner at all anymore, all he does is talk to the ref. That aint whining, and he is Captain, therefore he has to talk to the ref in certain times to get them to call a penalty our way next time. He has matured ALOT, only whiners still think he's a whiner, and they are hypocrites for it and should be ignored at all costs because they are 2 year olds.

Crosby dives sometimes, yes to get a call but who cares? every NHLer in the game does this every now and then, Crosby gets abused alot and takes real sticks or is in a bad positon froma hit and goes down, or he slides to score goals by deflecting them, big whoop? he goes down from things that hurt him WAY more then he does himself to get a call. Stop watching NHL hockey if this bothers you.

Who cares about his marketing, and commercials, REally...i have yet to even get bothered by them at all, and i see him alot more then you guys. Ignore it, don't hate him because of this. The only one that actually bugs me alittle is the WJC Crosby commercial that has been going on since he was in the WJC.

His personality...again, WHO CARES! he is not talking to the media to entertain you, he is speaking his mind about the game that he just played, or answering a question the way he wants to answer it. He is mature as hell, and he always keeps his cool, but you can clearly see his passion during the games. I mean his whining when he does not get anything his way! Does it TRUELY matter that he does not try and make you laugh? why don't you go to one of your friends who don't make you laugh and tell them they are boring and that you hate them because they don't make you laugh.
The problem a lot of people have about the personality and interview stuff is that he's NOT speaking his mind and is giving those stock %110 answers. He seems almost robotic in that he says exactly what is expected of him... and part of that is the interviewers fault beause they almost always ask the same questions. But the thing about OV or some other guys (Semin) is that they are candid. Sure, sometimes they are cocky as hell but, you're telling me Crosby isn't cocky sat all when he goes out on to the ice too? You don't think for a second that he's stepped out on the ice and said to himself "I'm gonna run right through thee f***ers!" Those guys are just honest about it. They aren't looking for the gatorade endorsement or the workout video. They let their play do the talking and then they do some more talking when they're done! It's honestly like there's no point in interviewing crosby because you're not actually talking/listening to him. Might as well have a tape recorder there or Don cherry pulling the strings.

GIN ANTONIC is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.