HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why is Sidney Crosby bashed so much?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2009, 02:12 AM
  #76
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,533
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
Just because a player doesn't spaz out when they or their team scores doesn't mean they don't have a personality or passion or anything like that. Some guys just choose to show a little restraint. Do you really think goals were/are ''no big deal'' to, say, Joe Sakic or Peter Forsberg, just because they don't make a scene when they score?
Exactly my point though. Some players don't act like that and they are still respected because of what they have done (as you said Sakic and Foppa). Crosby is in that boat as a player who are calm and collected. Is that a bad thing? Hell no, look at players now like Lidstrom and Datsuyk they aren't doing that crazy stuff either. But that is why ppl would scream for his head if he did AO things, they'd just think he's doing it to be like him is all.

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:12 AM
  #77
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,388
vCash: 500
Say what you will about Crosby, but the "overrated" thing is off-the-wall. If he's overrated, find me other players who have a similarly impressive list of accomplishments by age 21:

100+ point rookie season. WC Top Forward. Hart. Art Ross. Pearson. Captained a team to the Cup Finals. Led the playoffs in scoring.

Shouldn't be hard, eh?

The fact is that dedicated fans generally dislike the golden boy in any major sport because saturating exposure of anyone can get sickening. Lebron. A-Rod. Sid. Manning. Whoever.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:14 AM
  #78
agentzzz
Registered User
 
agentzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Posts: 631
vCash: 500
Personally I dislike Crosby for whining/crying. I lack respect for whiners/cryers in all walks of life. It also doesn't help that he plays for Pitt, cause i don't like the Pens.

I do think he is talented and a great player (obviously) but he is over hyped and Im getting tired of everything being Crosby this Crosby that.

agentzzz is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:16 AM
  #79
Pick87your71Poison
Registered User
 
Pick87your71Poison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Crosby stopped being a whiney brat AFTER his 1st season, he is not a whiner at all anymore, all he does is talk to the ref. That aint whining, and he is Captain, therefore he has to talk to the ref in certain times to get them to call a penalty our way next time. He has matured ALOT, only whiners still think he's a whiner, and they are hypocrites for it and should be ignored at all costs because they are 2 year olds.

Crosby dives sometimes, yes to get a call but who cares? every NHLer in the game does this every now and then, Crosby gets abused alot and takes real sticks or is in a bad positon froma hit and goes down, or he slides to score goals by deflecting them, big whoop? he goes down from things that hurt him WAY more then he does himself to get a call. Stop watching NHL hockey if this bothers you.

Who cares about his marketing, and commercials, REally...i have yet to even get bothered by them at all, and i see him alot more then you guys. Ignore it, don't hate him because of this. The only one that actually bugs me alittle is the WJC Crosby commercial that has been going on since he was in the WJC.

His personality...again, WHO CARES! he is not talking to the media to entertain you, he is speaking his mind about the game that he just played, or answering a question the way he wants to answer it. He is mature as hell, and he always keeps his cool, but you can clearly see his passion during the games. I mean his whining when he does not get anything his way! Does it TRUELY matter that he does not try and make you laugh? why don't you go to one of your friends who don't make you laugh and tell them they are boring and that you hate them because they don't make you laugh.
Good post. I think this is a pretty accurate assessment of what Crosby is now. He's not a comedian, he's not a joker, and he's not what he was as an 18 year old rookie carrying the weight of an awful team. People that like to ignore the last 3 seasons are doing so just because it's easier to bash him that way.

Pick87your71Poison is online now  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:19 AM
  #80
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser
 
mrmyheadhurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,900
vCash: 50
because he doesn't play for your team.

mrmyheadhurts is online now  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:20 AM
  #81
spizzle420
Registered User
 
spizzle420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: T.O.
Posts: 884
vCash: 500
because I always anxiously await for interviews to judge my favorite players... they're so informative and interesting... not generic at all... especially those exciting questions with multiple possible responses..

one of the main reasons that ovechkin's interviews were "fun", imo, is because you were curious what he had to say as a "foreigner", someone with amazing talent coming into an American league, without really knowing English (at first).

Does anyone care what Zach Parise has to say?

probably falling off target here with sleep kicking in, but I think I grazed part of a point at least..

spizzle420 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:21 AM
  #82
The Polak*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Best player in the league

Pure skill, heart determination

Canadian

Good looking

That man has everything, who wouldn't be jealous

The Polak* is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:22 AM
  #83
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,085
vCash: 500
I find it rather admirable that he's been hyped up and discussed about since he was a young teenager.. and he's not egotistical in the least. In fact, he's modest as hell.

Imagine if he was this cocky, arrogant ********* who always walked with a swagger in his step because everyone would tell him how great he is.

kmad is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:26 AM
  #84
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,533
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polak View Post
Best player in the league

Pure skill, heart determination

Canadian

Good looking

That man has everything, who wouldn't be jealous
If he ends up marrying hayden panettiere, then I will REALLY hate him

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:36 AM
  #85
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spizzle420 View Post
because I always anxiously await for interviews to judge my favorite players... they're so informative and interesting... not generic at all... especially those exciting questions with multiple possible responses..

one of the main reasons that ovechkin's interviews were "fun", imo, is because you were curious what he had to say as a "foreigner", someone with amazing talent coming into an American league, without really knowing English (at first).

Does anyone care what Zach Parise has to say?

probably falling off target here with sleep kicking in, but I think I grazed part of a point at least..
Thank you, great point.

Imagine how many interview Sid gets, you want a new answer EVERY single time? I'd like to see how many of you can do it.

Zach Parise, 5th in NHL scoring even if he had a 10 point night, I could care less what he has to say after the game, I'd rather watch Ovechkin on an interview after a 6-1 loss to see if he says anything funny or awkward

Sky04 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:51 AM
  #86
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,306
vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinGuru View Post
LOL he drew about 5 times as many penalties as he retaliated against. If your best playergot tested and cheap shoted as much as the "hot new rookie" did he would have curled up in the infantile position, rocked back and forth gently, and mumbled something about snakes covering his whole body.

Comparing those 100 PIM to what he fought through should yield the Lady Bing to Crosby.
I must re-iterate my homer comments.

Try to see things unbiasedly. Seriously, just try. Look at how you come off when you say absurd things like the bolded part above or that he was "more mature" than Mario Lemieux in 2006.

Tested this, cheap shotted that. Boo hoo, get me a tissue, I think I'm going to cry. It's hockey, not figure skating. And we're talking about the new NHL, where love taps get called.


Last edited by shadow1: 02-21-2009 at 02:58 AM.
shadow1 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 02:55 AM
  #87
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,306
vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
You really are clueless about what the commissioner does, aren't you.

Bettman does not control every NHL ad. That's the NHL's marketing department. Those ads showcase a lot of different players- not just Crosby. And guess who the NHL offices have absolulty no control over whatsoever- companies not affiliated with the NHL, like Tim Hortons. In fact, it would be quite illegal for them to meddle with another company's affairs.

I know this is a lot for you to learn at this stage in your life, but Tim Horton's is a real business, with it's own office building and own little people who work in those offices. They make their own business and advertising decisions. That means that they decide who goes on TV to make people want to buy Tim Horton's. They are grown ups and have their own brains. They are not a secret front for NHL corporate offices.
Hey, guess what? I don't know if you know this, but even though Bettman doesn't go out and find Crosby marketing jobs, he moderates what he does and doesn't do. That includes ads, and also what he says in interviews.

Let's compare that to Ovechkin. You won't see Crosby put his cell phone number on TV looking for a date, nor will you see him explode during a press conference because he's done talking about Ovechkin.

shadow1 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 03:23 AM
  #88
Topgoon
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Crosby bashing is so high relative to other generational players is due to the fact that internet and forum usage is at a all time high too.

Also:
1- Too much marketing/advertisement. At a certain point people's natural resistance just kicks in. Unfortunately, despite all the marketing, we barely know a thing about the guy. All I know is he used to play timbits hockey.

2 - Misalignment between Crosby's characteristics on ice and advertisements. They market him like he's a machine who only shows emotions when he is reminded of his timbit days in the commercials. On the ice (where we ever see him), he's a passionate guy who is clearly very emotional. Contradicting images don't work well.

3 - Crosby's not an universally marketable guy, yet they market him to EVERYONE. This is a big one. He's not the "by far the best" player in the league - this creates problems when people have contradictry opinions (i.e. Ovy, Malkin fans). His playing style is very focused towards play-making (Meh. for goal scorer fans). If you want to market him as towards the "Canadian" segments, Iginla is probably the better choice (been around longer, has actually represented Canada in the olympics, plays for a Canadian team). I can go on and on...

4 - Everyone's resistant to change. Crosby's success is not always a good thing for all viewers of the league, since everyone cheers on their own team and players. It'll take time before Crosby becomes well accepted by the fans.

All of these things wouldn't be that much of a problem if there were other players are getting a similar level of exposure. Problem is, there isn't.

Topgoon is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 03:41 AM
  #89
peanutvendor
Registered User
 
peanutvendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: colorado
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
i think hes a phenomenal player, but i dont think hes the best. he also has half the personality of someone like ovechkin, who may or may not be better, thats not what this is about.

i started watching pens games for a while because i love malkin, and even though his play is far from par, i used to be a big fan of sydor. while crosby makes some beautiful plays, alot of times i didnt notice him on the ice per se, except for the fact that every 4 seconds the announcers have to remind you he is on the ice.

do i think hes the best player? no

do i think he is overhyped? yes, only because there are better personalities who are elite out there

do i bash him? not really

do i think he should have been suspended for punching someone in the crotch from behind? i think some team should have made it their intro before the puck drops, and any other player would have been suspended no doubt.

peanutvendor is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 03:46 AM
  #90
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,429
vCash: 500
My .02 on this issue that I have felt for a long time:

As a fan of a team with Thornton, as a person who followed Ovechkin and Datsyuk when they were in Europe, and as someone who ranked Malkin over Ovechkin in 2004, Crosby is clearly deserving of his hype. His greatly exaggerated maturity problems will fade. Gretzky and Lemieux both had those maturity issues at that age, and look how they turned out. At this point, I have no problems calling him a superior player to anyone in the NHL besides Malkin, and I firmly believe that over the next ten years, Crosby will become dominant over even him. Honestly, despite the great year Malkin is having, I feel Crosby's Art Ross season was better even discounting their respective ages at the time of the accomplishment.

Crosby broke Lemieux's franchise record for rookie scoring. He won the Art Ross at 19. If he wasn't slowed down by injuries, he would have won it again last year IMO. Intelligent and a smart hockey player (something I wouldn't call Malkin or Ovechkin, and I'll admit that most people don't care about such a thing), he is always gracious to the fans. His offensive instincts are unmatched, and his hockey sense is on a level worlds above 99% of players in the league. Not only that, but his defensive discipline, awareness, and skills are very underrated as well. If he could handle 25+ minutes a game, he could easily be playing with Jordan Staal on his team's number one penalty-killing unit. If given the chance, he can be just as good, if not better defensively than Thornton, if not Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Ovechkin is a talented player as well, but he can't touch Crosby when it comes to playmaking. A player who wears his heart on his sleeve, he sometimes loses his temper and makes stupid plays that are indicative of immaturity. Yet for some reason, he gets a free pass. His refreshingly change-of-pace interviews sometimes end up with him saying things that sound arrogant or cocky, but he is never criticized. My hunch is that if Crosby showed such emotion, he would be called a vicious ego-maniac. Admitedly, Malkin is free of idiosyncrasies, but I cannot help but think that if Crosby had shown Malkin's lack of conditioning/game readiness, both vocally stated and visually apparant in last year's playoffs, he'd have been roasted.

My 2 cents

OrrNumber4 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 03:52 AM
  #91
Jonjmc
Registered User
 
Jonjmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Hey, guess what? I don't know if you know this, but even though Bettman doesn't go out and find Crosby marketing jobs, he moderates what he does and doesn't do. That includes ads, and also what he says in interviews.

Let's compare that to Ovechkin. You won't see Crosby put his cell phone number on TV looking for a date, nor will you see him explode during a press conference because he's done talking about Ovechkin.
You take Bettman conspiracy theories to a new level. So now Bettman not only controls what Crosby does and doesn't do, but you are saying he controls Crosbys interviews??? And he was right, you are clueless.

Jonjmc is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 04:07 AM
  #92
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor
 
DungeonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 5,617
vCash: 500
Crosby is bashed because he whines to the refs at every stoppage, dives, looks like a girl, has the "about to cry face" constantly, punched a guy being held down in the balls, is over-hyped by the media, and his greasy granny has holes in her panties. Now if only he'd play with a tinted visor...

DungeonK is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 04:22 AM
  #93
Devils Mike*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,989
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Devils Mike*
No personality means you should be hated I guess.

Devils Mike* is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 04:26 AM
  #94
suprez
Registered User
 
suprez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty#35 View Post
He whines alot, is over marketed, over hyped, and does not have a ton of flash to his game/bland personality. He is also not the undisputed best player in the league. You put this all together and people are left asking "Why is this guy being force fed down my throat, what exactly makes him so special?" He is a fantastic player. Definitely a guy that will be contending for NHL lead in scoring every season he is healthy. He just doesn't deserve all this attention when he isn't even the best player on his team. I think thats an issue too. People also ask "Why doesn't Malkin get all this attention?". There are a lot of players in the league and the NHL's blatant attempt at marketing him over everyone else and before he really did anything (the Crosby commercials in his first season where ridiculous) soured some people. People are just completely over saturated.
If you use pts per games he's right now the best player in the league.

The 2 best player of the league are playing for the same team.

Because Malkin he's shy and not very charismatic and a russian that barely speak english would not be a good seller.

suprez is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 04:47 AM
  #95
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks
 
BrodeursCups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoDak now NYC area
Country: United States
Posts: 29,850
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperkookeez View Post
stop sucking on the homerade. lets say we allow the age excuse slide

4 years later and hes still pulling the same immature crap

not including the whining and diving or ragdolling mclean.

punching a guy whos tied down by another player in the groin...thats maturity?

definitely not something face of the nhl should be doing at the highest professional level of hockey

One of the most gutless moves you'll ever see: Crosby acting tuffff and jumping valabik from behind when Valabik and Letang were already scraping. Sid punches him in the groin from behind. Gutless hack. Keep whining and diving Sid. Enjoy 10th place!!!

BrodeursCups is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 04:53 AM
  #96
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks
 
BrodeursCups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoDak now NYC area
Country: United States
Posts: 29,850
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Let's call a spade a spade....Sid has A LOT of improving to do before he's considered the best in the game. His two-way game is mediocre...Just how it is. Anyone that knows a lick about the game will admit that Datsyuk is a more complete player than Sid at this point.

Also, Sid has to work on his shot. The numbers don't like folks, his goal totals have decreased every year (assuming he keeps up the pace this year) since his rookie year. His shot is, quite simply, mediocre and until he improves it he'll NEVER touch 40 goals. Maybe he should pay jeff carter to assist him with it next offseason...

BrodeursCups is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 05:08 AM
  #97
daver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
One of the most gutless moves you'll ever see: Crosby acting tuffff and jumping valabik from behind when Valabik and Letang were already scraping. Sid punches him in the groin from behind. Gutless hack. Keep whining and diving Sid. Enjoy 10th place!!!
Why does he get bashed? Because HFBoards doesn't enforce a "you must be over 15 to post here" rule.

daver is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 05:21 AM
  #98
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks
 
BrodeursCups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoDak now NYC area
Country: United States
Posts: 29,850
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by spizzle420 View Post
because I always anxiously await for interviews to judge my favorite players... they're so informative and interesting... not generic at all... especially those exciting questions with multiple possible responses..

one of the main reasons that ovechkin's interviews were "fun", imo, is because you were curious what he had to say as a "foreigner", someone with amazing talent coming into an American league, without really knowing English (at first).

Does anyone care what Zach Parise has to say?

probably falling off target here with sleep kicking in, but I think I grazed part of a point at least..
Was there any need to drag Zpar into this? If you want to play that game, I would guarantee you the whole state of North Dakota, NJ, Minnesota, etc care about what Zpar says. Hate to say it, but he's carried the Devs offense this year and has been more valuable to us than Crosby has been to the Pens. Truth hurts, but it's reality...
How is 10th in the east treating the Crosby led Pens?

Parise has elevated his game to a whole new level this year. 35-35=70pts right now, full-time PKer, emerging as one of the best two-way forwards in the game, and has the best work ethic in the NHL.

BrodeursCups is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 05:23 AM
  #99
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks
 
BrodeursCups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoDak now NYC area
Country: United States
Posts: 29,850
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
Why does he get bashed? Because HFBoards doesn't enforce a "you must be over 15 to post here" rule.
It's unfortunate, but such is life....

BrodeursCups is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 05:29 AM
  #100
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty#35 View Post
He whines alot, is over marketed, over hyped, and does not have a ton of flash to his game/bland personality. He is also not the undisputed best player in the league. You put this all together and people are left asking "Why is this guy being force fed down my throat, what exactly makes him so special?" He is a fantastic player. Definitely a guy that will be contending for NHL lead in scoring every season he is healthy. He just doesn't deserve all this attention when he isn't even the best player on his team. I think thats an issue too. People also ask "Why doesn't Malkin get all this attention?". There are a lot of players in the league and the NHL's blatant attempt at marketing him over everyone else and before he really did anything (the Crosby commercials in his first season where ridiculous) soured some people. People are just completely over saturated.
very good summation.


crosby and ovechkin get too much attention relative to the rest of the NHL. especially crosby. especially in canada.

imo, malkin is better than both, but gets much less attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakovsky View Post
Imagine if Crosby pulled that hat stunt in the breakaway challenge.

I think a collective groan would come from hfboards, with everybody saying how "lame" and "embarrassing" Crosby is.
that was one of the stupidest things i've ever seen.

ovechkin should have been suspended, or at least fined for that.

nik jr is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.