HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why is Sidney Crosby bashed so much?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2009, 06:03 AM
  #101
Kap-the-Head
Registered User
 
Kap-the-Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,020
vCash: 500
I think Crosby entered the NHL at an unfortunate moment. He is a great player, and he was supposed to be the best. The problem is that he entered the league the same time Ovechkin did, the guys both have more or less the same job description, but yet they are so different (nationality, character, charisma, looks, etc). So when both appeared in the big league, most of people, myself included had to pick a side. Nobody forced them to, nobody restricted them from liking both players at the same time - it just happenned, people split. So while you were praising player A, you hated player B whenever he would get more points in a game, especially during their rookie season. Right now the dust has settled, competition between the two as not as hyped anymore, since you got Malkin in the picture, looks like these players are not discussing that issue anymore, however, the fan base remains the same. It is hard to let go, after you were passionly cheering for your player for such a long time. I guess you could write me in as part of Ovechkin Camp, but I do not hate Sid as much as I did 4 years ago. The guy is a victim of a media system, and that's why I feel bad for him.
I am probably going to get a lot of heat for what I am about to say: I just don't think Crosby is as whiny as people on these boards portray him to be. They just do not like Sid, and they do not know why, that's why there is a popular opinion of Crosby being a whiner, because he argued some calls in some games, "If you do not know why you hate Crosby, just say he is a diving whiner, and you are in the clear"
I think Crosby needs a change of "media scenery", if you will. He needs to be interviewed by the same guy who did Malkin, Ovechkin, Semin, Datsyuk interviews. Ask him about basic life questions, locker room pranks, music, movies, etc. Everybody enjoyed reading those, and I am pretty sure Crosby can be shown as down to Earth fun guy, that if not would win the harts of many fans, but at least cool down their hate towards a guy.

Kap-the-Head is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 06:12 AM
  #102
Howe Elbows 9
Registered User
 
Howe Elbows 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gävle, Sweden
Posts: 2,523
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Say what you will about Crosby, but the "overrated" thing is off-the-wall. If he's overrated, find me other players who have a similarly impressive list of accomplishments by age 21:

100+ point rookie season. WC Top Forward. Hart. Art Ross. Pearson. Captained a team to the Cup Finals. Led the playoffs in scoring.

Shouldn't be hard, eh?

The fact is that dedicated fans generally dislike the golden boy in any major sport because saturating exposure of anyone can get sickening. Lebron. A-Rod. Sid. Manning. Whoever.
Not 21, but 23:

PPG season, led the league in points and goals, Hart, won the Cup and was one point shy of the playoff scoring lead - all of this in his rookie season.

Nels Stewart in 1925-26.

Howe Elbows 9 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 07:26 AM
  #103
mytor4*
 
mytor4*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,175
vCash: 500
Crosby is one of the top players in the league .Yes we know that and i'm sure everyone will agree on it.I'm just tired of seeing the media trying to shove him down my throat . I'm also tired of the NHL trying to make him their golden boy while ignoring other great players including better ones.Another thing i find annoying is his homeboys will defend him blindly to the end even if their wrong.It's a known fact his a whiner and a diver but in no way will his home boys admit it.They will come up with the same reasoning and excuses that it just makes it even easier to dislike him.
So in short ,Great player .Yes . Jealous,I don't really believe the trash talk has anything to do with jealousy. Thats just the wishing of most of his home boys. Respected, I really don't believe he is .Liked , By many. disliked ,By just as many tired of all the B.S. that comes along with him from the media,NHL and his fans and his antics on the ice.

mytor4* is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 07:37 AM
  #104
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,813
vCash: 500
Part of the bashing is NHL Marketing Dept bashing, part of it is NBC and VS bashing. He came into the league as "The Next One" and someone else won the rookie of the year.
Four season's into it, its the same thing when most people know that Crosby at best is equalled if not surpassed by other players.

As for Crosby himself, there is the 52% of players in a recent pole that say he is the biggest on ice complainer/whiner in the league. Its been that way since his rookie season. That is not good.

Then there is his team. Yesterday, Eddie Olcyk said that Crosby maybe the Captain but Gonchar runs the team. This is a guy that likes the Pens.

Hate is a strong word. I dont use it. Bash on occasion? I mean he did punch a guy in the groin from behind. Right?

txpd is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 07:39 AM
  #105
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Abyss
Country: United States
Posts: 19,284
vCash: 500
IMO, as good a player as Crosby is, he's isn't the hand's down best player player in the league. It can be argued that several players are "better", including one on his own team. Add in the marketing tsunami that's thrust down our throats and the typical lack of charisma shown by most small town athletes, especially in the NHL, and it's a recipe for derision. We're being asked to buy a bill of goods that just isn't legit. I don't blame Crosby for that. He's a great player being asked to be more than he is. The John the Baptist of the NHL.


Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 02-21-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Rabid Ranger is online now  
Old
02-21-2009, 07:43 AM
  #106
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Say what you will about Crosby, but the "overrated" thing is off-the-wall.
You see, this is where you are wrong and don't see the problem. With his actual performance he has been overrated OVER that. His second season was haled, not has a wonderful/historic season of a potential future hall of famer, but as a foundation for his league dominance for a decade or more to come.

He won the scoring race by a nice margin and this was just the beginning.

That was the hype. The overrate. It hasnt happened. Thru three seasons and most of a 4th, Alexander Ovechkin has outperformed him in two and the partial 3rd.

That is where and how he is overrated. You don't see that?

txpd is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 07:50 AM
  #107
BisonFlay
 
BisonFlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
The groin punching thing was bad enough but i think what angers most people is that fact that the league did nothing about it. This gives the appearance of preferential treatment from Bettman and the NHL league offices.

I am not here to argue whether Sid gets that preferential treatment but no one can deny that anyone else punching a guy in the groin would result in some sort of disciplinary action. The NHL is really making itself look bad with incidents like this and are also doing Crosby a disservice because it increases the negativity against him.

I don't see how it is a good thing when the player you are trying to market as the face of your league is almost universally disliked by the sport's hardcore fan base because they look the other way when he breaks the rules.

BisonFlay is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 08:02 AM
  #108
Pattysaurus
Registered User
 
Pattysaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
He is a great player, but he is not the only one in the league, and he gets marketed as such. That one is not his fault. The problem with him personally, though, is that he has to shake the crybaby label and he has not yet and will not until he matures more.

Pattysaurus is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 08:10 AM
  #109
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
He's a cry baby, has no personality, is a drone for Bettman (Timbits, anyone?), and isn't a big game player.
Never thought I'd hear that one, even here on HF.

Jacob is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 08:14 AM
  #110
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,679
vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Because he looks like Butt-head.

Ouch, now thats just mean.


Some of us don't like Crosby because we've been forcefed him since his junior years and its only dying down now.

Then theres the little matter of how the pens seem to tank and end up with the really, really incredible draft picks every time they get into trouble.

Factor in that Crosby was really young and had a rep for "embellishing" to get penalties, and you have a seething load of hate.

Seriously, why worry about it? Most players in the league are hated by opposing fans. When I grew up in Calgary, the popular thing was to call Gretzky "Whiner", and a Wayne Gretzky cocktail? Whine on ice.

I think Crosby fans are just miffed because right now "Everybody loves Alex". I'm sure Crosby doesn't care.

octopi is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 08:17 AM
  #111
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,460
vCash: 500
Great player no doubt. But Jesus Christ is this the Crosby Hockey League? He is marketed like he is clear cut better than everyone in the league. He is marketed like he is Gretzky when in fact he is not even on his level. After a while people just get annoyed that its Crosby all day every day. Too much talent in the league to be focusing on one guy.

Alchemy is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 08:20 AM
  #112
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,679
vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Great player no doubt. But Jesus Christ is this the Crosby Hockey League? He is marketed like he is clear cut better than everyone in the league. He is marketed like he is Gretzky when in fact he is not even on his level. After a while people just get annoyed that its Crosby all day every day. Too much talent in the league to be focusing on one guy.
I'm praying the Leafs don't end up with Tavares. That would be 1000 times worse than the Crosby hype.

octopi is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 08:51 AM
  #113
Jonjmc
Registered User
 
Jonjmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I'm praying the Leafs don't end up with Tavares. That would be 1000 times worse than the Crosby hype.

As a Pens fan, that's exactly what I have been hoping for.

Jonjmc is online now  
Old
02-21-2009, 09:01 AM
  #114
Doctor House
Registered User
 
Doctor House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
I was a fan until I saw this:


Doctor House is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 09:33 AM
  #115
spizzle420
Registered User
 
spizzle420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: T.O.
Posts: 884
vCash: 500
At least show a good angle, stupid habs fan.

(Habs were my 3rd team up until this year, people need to get off the waggon so I can get back on... shouldn't be a problem soon)

Meanwhile, I found a "Crybaby Crosby" youtube... and this genius uses footage of Crosby "diving" when imo every single example is a penalty to the other team... ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCJzxatp0sY



He gets slashed on the glove (legal) *while* being triped agaist the flyers and Forsberg calls for a dive cause he doesn't see ****. The Rangers' one, why is that guy hooking and interferining with Sid on the rush when the puck is nowhere near? Esp in the playoffs, very smart. Nothing wrong with the Hatcher one... just a facewash... not a dive... and for good measure, this bright individual that created the video throws in an Ovechkin dive... no wayyyy

fun stuff

spizzle420 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 10:05 AM
  #116
PensFan101
Forever Champions.
 
PensFan101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Owen Sound
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
You see, this is where you are wrong and don't see the problem. With his actual performance he has been overrated OVER that. His second season was haled, not has a wonderful/historic season of a potential future hall of famer, but as a foundation for his league dominance for a decade or more to come.

He won the scoring race by a nice margin and this was just the beginning.

That was the hype. The overrate. It hasnt happened. Thru three seasons and most of a 4th, Alexander Ovechkin has outperformed him in two and the partial 3rd.

That is where and how he is overrated. You don't see that?
I've always thought the Crosby/Ovechkin comparison is a little unfair. Ovechkin is almost two calendar years older than Crosby. They aren't even the same kind of player. Ovechkin is the ultimate goal scoring power forward, while Crosby is the ultimate playmaker (who needs to shoot more ). Its apples and ornages.

But look at what both have done. I don't see how Crosby is overrated. He's only 21. Calling him overrated because he doesn't dominate the league very season is ridiculous. The same thing could be said about Ovechkin, who has not dominated the league every season either despite being older.

This comment isn't aimed at you tpxd, but I just wish that people could appreciate Crosby for what he brings to the game. He's got so much pressure on him to perform and he consistently brings it. Nobody on his team ever protects him and he takes the most abuse of anyone in the league on the ice. Every player dives, get over it. Crosby still embellishes but at least he's gotten rid of that head snap (because it stopped working a long, long time ago).

PensFan101 is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 10:12 AM
  #117
Darth Sidious*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I find him too bland. And I dislike how the media sometimes likes to cram him down everyone's throats like he's the only thing in hockey that matters (even though that's 100% not his fault)

And contrary to what will eventually be said by someone, it has nothing to do with jealousy.

and I would like to remind people of two things:

1) If you don't like the thread, leave it alone.

2) be civil. Don't attack people and don't troll.



Nah. It has everything to do with jealousy.

Darth Sidious* is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 10:34 AM
  #118
Siberian
Registered User
 
Siberian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Saint Pierre
Country: France
Posts: 3,539
vCash: 500
Sidney is the best Canadian player, there is no doubt about it. Unfortunately for him the NHL and media decided that it is good enough to make him the face of the NHL. Sidney basically became the victim of this stupidity. For Sidney it had an opposite effect.

In my honest opinion I do have respect for Sidney now more than I had 3 years ago. First of all he appears to be a great person and is an amazing hockey player. There is no doubt he should be a feared hockey player but instead he is disliked for no good reason other than the fact that he was shoved down the throat of every hockey fan in North America.

Siberian is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 10:36 AM
  #119
Vi
Registered User
 
Vi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arlandria
Country: United States
Posts: 777
vCash: 500
I think the sad thing about is that only a fraction of it has anything to do with Crosby himself. The guy is a very gifted hockey player and it is a lot of fun to watch him play when you can put aside all the outside influences.

The main problem is obviously the insane amount of hype surrounding him. The league tried (and tries) to cram him down everyone's throats, and I think people just got sick of it. There are other stars in this league and I think it's easy to start to resent the one who gets all the attention all the time. The fact that the league does this than lets it seem like they are letting him get away with things--whether that's true or not--just aggravates that exponentially.

To his credit, though, the hype machine is in no way Crosby's fault. For the most part he's handled the extra pressure as graciously as could be asked from anyone his age.

I'm in no way a Crosby hater, but the reason I personally prefer Malkin or Ovechkin to him is probably a mixture of that hype craziness and not jibing totally with his personality. It's nothing major, just the fact that he seems utterly determined to not have a personality off the ice makes it harder for me to pull for him.

Vi is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 10:40 AM
  #120
Al Bundy*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
But Jesus Christ is this the Crosby Hockey League? He is marketed like he is clear cut better than everyone in the league. He is marketed like he is Gretzky when in fact he is not even on his level. After a while people just get annoyed that its Crosby all day every day. Too much talent in the league to be focusing on one guy.
Would you be happier if this was the Ovechkin Hockey League?

Al Bundy* is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 10:41 AM
  #121
Anksun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,557
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
As for Crosby himself, there is the 52% of players in a recent pole that say he is the biggest on ice complainer/whiner in the league. Its been that way since his rookie season. That is not good.
He'll change that when growing up... Gretzky was pretty much the same in his early nhl years and you know what, he's seen as one of the best embassador the nhl ever had.

Anksun is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 11:07 AM
  #122
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 14,199
vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday View Post
Did you miss the last part of my post?
No. I wasn't responding so much to your post as I was to the 5000 other people who will claim they hate him because of the media attention.

StrangeVision is online now  
Old
02-21-2009, 11:10 AM
  #123
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Would you be happier if this was the Ovechkin Hockey League?
If it was Ovechkin all day every day i would have the same complaints. The either or mentality is annoying on here. This isn't a Ovechkin vs Crosby issue. There is too much talent in the NHL for the NHL marketers to ignore. Hell i don't mind if they Market Crosby the most but damn atleast try to market some other NHL superstars every once in a while.

Alchemy is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 11:20 AM
  #124
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlomo View Post
Not 21, but 23:

PPG season, led the league in points and goals, Hart, won the Cup and was one point shy of the playoff scoring lead - all of this in his rookie season.

Nels Stewart in 1925-26.
That's right, 23, not 21. Watch what else Crosby has on his resume in two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
You see, this is where you are wrong and don't see the problem. With his actual performance he has been overrated OVER that. His second season was haled, not has a wonderful/historic season of a potential future hall of famer, but as a foundation for his league dominance for a decade or more to come.
Generally, when you're the youngest Art Ross winner in history, and the youngest player in any NA pro sport to win a scoring title, that sort of thing will be predicted.

That's not being overrated, that seems a reasonable prediction given who the last youngest Art Ross winner was, especially since Ovy was seen as his main challenger and had just come off a relatively disappointing season.

Quote:
That was the hype. The overrate. It hasnt happened. Thru three seasons and most of a 4th, Alexander Ovechkin has outperformed him in two and the partial 3rd.
Revisionist history at its finest. Nobody doubts that Ovy had the better rookie season, or that Sid was better in '06-'07. But Sid had certainly been outperforming Ovy prior to his injury in '07-'08, or do you conveniently not remember how Ovy was playing before he turned it up in the 3rd quarter last season?

Ovechkin had a spectacular season, but when both were playing before the injury, it's not even debatable that Sid was the superior player.

This year, Ovy's been the superior player, but even with Sid's short summer to recover and well-documented health issues (two bouts with the flu, knee, hip), and playing most of the year on a line with the likes of Pascal Dupuis and Miro Satan rather than Nicklas Backstrom, Ovy's only a point ahead.

There have been extenuating circumstances.

Quote:
That is where and how he is overrated. You don't see that?
Nope. People are engaged by prodigies, and Sid's the most accomplished to come around in a long time. Had he not been derailed by the injury last year, this argument would be even more ridiculous.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
02-21-2009, 11:34 AM
  #125
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,671
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Then there is his team. Yesterday, Eddie Olcyk said that Crosby maybe the Captain but Gonchar runs the team. This is a guy that likes the Pens.
Gonchar has been most often described as a 'quiet leader'. So no, he doesn't run the team.

However, and I said this for a long time when people were bashing Gonchar, Gonchar has always ran the powerplay. That powerplay doesn't start from Crosby or Malkin, that powerplay starts and ends with Gonchar. I can't count the amount of powerplay goals that have Crosby, Gonchar as the assists. Especially the Whitney backdoor play.

Jill Sandwich is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.