HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I dont supposed anyone saw this last night

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Freudian
luck paper scissors

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I guarantee that whichever referee called Brashear for "High Sticking" tonight was torn a new ***hole by his supervisor after the game, and Andy Van Hellemond will fine him as well.
Brashear is leading the high sticking penalty league this year so it wouldn't surprise me if refs are more willing to call him for it.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:26 AM
Bolthed

vCash: 500
You haven't seen it because the media is a blood-thirsty sensationalism machine! We probably wouldn't have seen the McSorley incident had Brashear not been knocked unconscious as a result. We probalby wouldn't have seen the Bertuzzi incident, either. It would have been just another sucker punch had Moore not been knocked out cold.

But the bigger problem is that the league is just as, if not more reactionary than the media. If there's blood, the pirhanas go into a frenzy. This Adams sla could be construed as a civil crime if someone would only watch it. What a shame for the sport.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:20 AM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
I've never reffed a hockey game before, so I don't protest to know what its like to be in their shoes, but the "high sticking" call on Brashear is one that is hard to miss in my opinion.

What I question is if he was in good enough position to see that the Numminen was high sticked, how could he not see that Brashear never lifted his stick off the ice? This was no even a close, questionable call - it was very blatant.

I'm not trying to pick at you, Van; I'm just dumbfounded at how the officials flubbed that call so much. Hey, I guess we all make mistakes.
They just add 2+2 together as a ref and come out with 5 and ok that must have been what happend since i actually didnt see it but Brashear is on the ice so i am sure it happened this way. Yup and you wonder why we get upset of the zebras that are acting like JOKES on many nights, the High sticking penalty in Stars-Flyers game tonight is a BLATANT made up call since the ref didnt see it

Old
03-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
Brashear is leading the high sticking penalty league this year so it wouldn't surprise me if refs are more willing to call him for it.
Of course hes going to lead it, all a player has to do is throw his head back as if hes been hit with a stick, if Brashear is within 6 feet of that player, hes going to the box.

Its a downward spiral, he gets called for bogus penalties, gains a reputation so more bogus penalties get called on him.

Old
03-12-2004, 10:10 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Bolt Fan
the High sticking penalty in Stars-Flyers game tonight is a BLATANT made up call since the ref didnt see it
It wasn't a "made up call". The referee thought he saw something he didn't. It is that simple. It doesn't mean he made any less of a mistake, but you make it sound as if he was out to get somebody.

He **** up. Life goes on.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:09 AM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
A referee's reaction to what he sees is him using his judgment to decide if the play was safe, worth a penalty, and how severe of a penalty if he decides to call one.
Aha. "What he sees" is far different from "what actually happens." Both are your words. Perhaps you should choose them more carefully, otherwise there's a grey area of communication which could result in another poster making a judgment call that you're a referee apologist.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Sotnos

ANYWAY, back on topic...this incident did actually make our local paper today, take this as you will. From the sounds of it, it did get shown on ESPN highlights, but can't say I'd ever seen it on there myself:

Bolts' Taylor also a victim of a cheap shot

It should be noted that the teams are playing again on Saturday.

Old
03-12-2004, 04:12 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
Aha. "What he sees" is far different from "what actually happens." Both are your words. Perhaps you should choose them more carefully, otherwise there's a grey area of communication which could result in another poster making a judgment call that you're a referee apologist.
..Just like some could make a judgment call that you will never respect the officials no matter what they do.

Referees see the play once at full speed from one angle. So often when people complain about a certain call or non-call, they start with, "if you look at the replay". Well guess what, referees don't see replays. In Brashear's case, the official could have been screened or he might have called the penalty based on assumption....either way, he screwed up and made the wrong call. The whole world knows that...but without a replay, would we all know about it?

Soon-to-retire linesman Randy Mitton mentioned in a recent interview that the abundance of camera angles and replays have contributed big time to over-exposing officials' mistakes.

Old
03-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
..Just like some could make a judgment call that you will never respect the officials no matter what they do.

Referees see the play once at full speed from one angle. So often when people complain about a certain call or non-call, they start with, "if you look at the replay". Well guess what, referees don't see replays. In Brashear's case, the official could have been screened or he might have called the penalty based on assumption....either way, he screwed up and made the wrong call. The whole world knows that...but without a replay, would we all know about it?

Soon-to-retire linesman Randy Mitton mentioned in a recent interview that the abundance of camera angles and replays have contributed big time to over-exposing officials' mistakes.
There is a solution to this and that is allow video replays for penaltys/calls on the ice. give each team 1 extra timeout for a game so they have a total of 2 timeouts, order a review of a call and lose you forfeit a timeout, and review can only be initiated from the video replay box in the final 10 min of the 3rd period and onwards in to eventual OT.

It would take away the most serious blunders so they get corrected while still in the game and not thru some sick makeup call

Old
03-12-2004, 07:36 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Bolt Fan
give each team 1 extra timeout for a game so they have a total of 2 timeouts, order a review of a call and lose you forfeit a timeout
If you're going to do this, make it a Delay Of Game minor penalty if you lose your "appeal"...Just like if you call for a stick or pad measurement. If the stick or pad is legal, you get a Delay Of Game penalty.

Old
03-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
If you're going to do this, make it a Delay Of Game minor penalty if you lose your "appeal"...Just like if you call for a stick or pad measurement. If the stick or pad is legal, you get a Delay Of Game penalty.
sure no problem with me

Closed Thread