Notices

Phaneuf...

Old
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy P Martini View Post
i think almost everyone is questioning his work ethic and passion, what are you talking about? i can't even think of the last game where the dion put in a solid, full game's effort. it seems like his all around play has regressed.
do you honestly believe that if work ethic was an issue Keenan wouldn't strip him of his 'A'?... do you not think Keenan would rip him in the media... and any player who is on the ice for 27 minutes would kill their teams chances at the playoffs if they were lazy... if anything he takes too long of shifts and is too tired to make the right play... people need to see the difference between lazy and tired... a lazy player doesn't lead the rush as often as Dion does... a player lacking passion will not beak and get in the face off the opposition as much as Dion does... mind you he has cut that down in an attempt to stay out of the box

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
do you honestly believe that if work ethic was an issue Keenan wouldn't strip him of his 'A'?... do you not think Keenan would rip him in the media... and any player who is on the ice for 27 minutes would kill their teams chances at the playoffs if they were lazy... if anything he takes too long of shifts and is too tired to make the right play... people need to see the difference between lazy and tired... a lazy player doesn't lead the rush as often as Dion does... a player lacking passion will not beak and get in the face off the opposition as much as Dion does... mind you he has cut that down in an attempt to stay out of the box
I just want to say I agree with everything in this post.

Honestly if people watched Pardy and Gio with the scrutiny they do Dion there would hardly be happy with them either. Oh wait they make less money (not that anyone on this board is an owner and paying Dion out of pocket) honestly no one is going to say that Dion is having a great season especially when you compare his first three but the over analyzing and whining is getting tiring.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
I just want to say I agree with everything in this post.

Honestly if people watched Pardy and Gio with the scrutiny they do Dion there would hardly be happy with them either. Oh wait they make less money (not that anyone on this board is an owner and paying Dion out of pocket) honestly no one is going to say that Dion is having a great season especially when you compare his first three but the over analyzing and whining is getting tiring.
people also need to realize that when a player revamps there game there is more often than not a set back... Phaneuf is doing just that in focusing more on his defense... and if people have watched games this year (which I really doubt sometimes when I read some of the things said)... and they watched the games last year... and the year before... etc... you would see Dion is making more good defensive plays than ever before... he looks like he is getting beaten more often because he is actually back on the blueline more often

Old
02-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
people also need to realize that when a player revamps there game there is more often than not a set back... Phaneuf is doing just that in focusing more on his defense... and if people have watched games this year (which I really doubt sometimes when I read some of the things said)... and they watched the games last year... and the year before... etc... you would see Dion is making more good defensive plays than ever before... he looks like he is getting beaten more often because he is actually back on the blueline more often
Exactly, I often ask myself in some PGTs if people even watched the game or were they looking for Dion to mess up so they could whine and complain. I've lost a lot of respect for some good posters this season because they can't get what you just posted. Maybe if they paid attention to what Playfair, Keenan and Sutter have repeatedly said over and over and over again about Dion taking another step in his game this season.

Last edited by Hyde: 02-24-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old
02-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Pomeranian

Quote:
Exactly, I often ask myself in some PGTs if people even watched the game or were they looking for Dion to mess up so they could whine and complain. I've lost a lot of respect for some good posters this season because they can't get what you just posted. Maybe if they paid attention to what Playfair, Keenan and Sutter have repeatedly said over and over and over again about Dion taking another step in his game this season.
Please you are making to much sense!!!

Pomeranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
you know something is wrong with people when I am a voice of positivity...

Old
02-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
I actually think that this season is Dion's best in terms of how much effort he is putting into playing a full and solid game. Earlier in his career (I don't know if I'd say he was lazy) but he focused most of his energy at the offensive end. In doing this, I would have to say his defensive game suffered. But this is the first season that I've seen him actually comeback on D and break up some good scoring chances on a consistent basis. Sure he has had his share of times when he gets beat, but it does appear that he is giving more of himself this year all around.

I think a part of it is that he is learning from Regehr and maturing into more of an all round defenceman. As for him not scoring as many goals, who knows the reason. Maybe he is having issues in his life, maybe it is the change to left side, maybe it is the pressure of his big contract, , maybe it is because he is "A" captain, maybe it is a combination of everything. I don't care who it is, every player goes through a sub par year, and Dion is still playing well at that. He will bounce back in time, and he is already showing signs of it now.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:05 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
I completely agree with both Lunatik and Hyde. Really think the hate for Phaneuf has really been unwarranted this season. He is struggling offensively no doubt about that, but he has improved his game in his own zone. For whatever reason everything Phaneuf seems to do is magnified by a lot of the fans. I understand the big contract and all the hype he has to live up to, but I just think some fans are way to hard on the guy.

When Regehr has a bad game no one seems to rip on him. Phaneuf though all hell breaks loose and he is the worst defenseman in the league. I've said it before, but have some patience with him. Still only 23 and I have no doubt he will be one of the best defenceman in the league. This season is really going to be benefitial for his development.

I'll go out on a limb and say he has a very good playoffs this season. I think he'll really step up his game.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:24 AM
AndersEriksson*

I completely disagree with both Lunatik and Hyde.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersEriksson View Post
I completely disagree with both Lunatik and Hyde.
That is your right.

The one main issue I have with the "Complainers" is that they rarely have anything good to say. Hey Dion has a bad game say it. Now how come when he has a good game (and he has), this same crowd ignores it. That is my number one complaint.

Old
02-24-2009, 01:08 PM
GoFlames

Oh Dion is growing into a huge role, the position, hype, reputation, contract, wearing the A etc. Give the guy a break.

I think that the big thing is to find the perfect D pairing for Dion... a while back someone suggested Dereck Meech of Detroit. Not sure if he is worth a look but the two played great on the international stage. More than anything the team (and Dion) needs to work on the PP which has been embarassing lately.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 01:28 PM
cgychieffan

Quote:
That is your right.

The one main issue I have with the "Complainers" is that they rarely have anything good to say. Hey Dion has a bad game say it. Now how come when he has a good game (and he has), this same crowd ignores it. That is my number one complaint.
The differrence, i think, is that Dion is taking up almost 12 percent of the salary cap, this is why we harp on Phaneuf.. You have to wonder if the money can be spent on 1 or 2 other quality players. I understand hes got talent, this is why he made it to the show. However, he has to be held to a higher standard than gio or sarich or aucoin because of the money we threw at him! mgmt's fault but its reality.. winning the cup has to be linked with good business practices.. not emotional attachments! Look at detroit!

cgychieffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:31 PM
DownInFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajomaa View Post
The differrence, i think, is that Dion is taking up almost 12 percent of the salary cap, this is why we harp on Phaneuf.. You have to wonder if the money can be spent on 1 or 2 other quality players. I understand hes got talent, this is why he made it to the show. However, he has to be held to a higher standard than gio or sarich or aucoin because of the money we threw at him! mgmt's fault but its reality.. winning the cup has to be linked with good business practices.. not emotional attachments! Look at detroit!
And in two years when he is further in his development and is one of the best in the game are you still going to echo this exact sentiment? Phaneuf is 23 signed until he is 29. You don't think at any point during his contract he is going to be a top 3 defensmen worthy of his contract?

Dion taking up 12 percent of the salary cap is going to pay massive dividends in the long run. I fail to see how noone has patience while developing what promises to be a PERRENIAL NORRIS CANDIDATE.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
6.5 million for a Norris nominated defenseman is not a bad contract... especially when you are paying for potential as well since its a long term deal for a 23 year old... look at some of the other contracts given for star players... is 39 million over 6 years that bad?

Vanek - 7 years/50 million
E. Staal - 7 years/57.75 million
Campbell - 8 years/57.143
Stastny - 6 years/39.6 million
Kopitar - 7 years/47.6 million
Redden - 6 years/39 million
Gomez - 7 years/51.5 million
Drury - 6 years/42.3 million
Heatley - 6 years/45 million
Spezza - 7 years/49 million
Briere - 8 years/52 million
J. Carter - 3 years/15 million
M. Richards - 12 years/69 million
Fleury - 7 years/35 million
J. Staal - 4 years/16 million
Boyle - 6 years/40 million
Malone - 7 years/31.5 million
Sundin - 1 year/8.21 milliion

can you honestly blame Sutter for giving Phaneuf that contract?... this isn't a case where there was a huge home town discount invovled... and its unfair to expect a player to take those discounts... we have been spoiled with Iginla, Regehr, Kipper and to a lesser extent Langkow taking less money... and I think you can bet if Sutter hadn't signed Phaneuf he would have gotten an offer sheet much higher than the 6 years/39 million he signed for

Old
02-24-2009, 05:05 PM
DownInFlames

Quote:
That is your right.

I couldn't agree more Hyde. Well Said.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 05:13 PM
sonetlumiere

LOL, lunatik, the self-proclaimed "voice of positivity". funny how you slammed half the posts in this thread with anything but.

anyways, i have a few problems with this thread;

first off, its no secret dion's had to take a step back physically to take a step forward mentally, but that shouldn't be attributed to his sloppy play this season. really what it boils down to is his decision making, and much like seasons past, it hasn't been on point. so forgive me if im a little confused at this "progess" everybody's talking about. especially since hes only averaging three more minutes per game compared to last year. hes still developing, yes, but it's pretty unfair to tell us not to be critical on those off nights just because he's learning. its not a valid excuse, and im sure he'd tell you the same.

secondly, the whole notion that certain postee's only hate on certain players is utterly ridiculous. for example, if we win and regehr had a ****** game you obviously wont hear it as much as if phaneuf had a horrible game and we lost. its either purely circumstantial, or yes, truly prejudiced, but honestly i rarely ever see the latter on this board. (to further the point, how many games can you honestly say dion's dominated or had an above-average performance? probably only a handful i assume, so really, it becomes somewhat of a moot point to say he deserves more praise than he's given)

and lastly, this board is becoming no less of a popularity contest than cp. the amount of ass kissing in this thread alone is hilarious. even more so considering i can pull posts from the same people giving him unconditional praise, who in the past have gone on long-winded rants about how horrible his play had been. please, in the future, gather your own opinions instead of always following the general consensus. its what makes these forums that more interesting, and i think i speak on behalf of everybody when i say we could use a serious injection of that around here.

sonetlumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 05:34 PM
AndersEriksson*

I completely agree with sonetlumiere.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
LOL, lunatik, the self-proclaimed "voice of positivity". funny how you slammed half the posts in this thread with anything but.
so pointing out truths is anything but positivity?... get real man people harp on Phaneuf regardless of wins or losses... people have a hard on for bashing him right now

Old
02-24-2009, 06:08 PM
sonetlumiere

Mod-edit: deleted.

like i said, i rarely ever see a singular person consistently bashing him on a night-to-night basis without offering some sort of praise on his good nights. maybe you should stop to think why so many people have been bashing him lately? they, much like me, gave him the benefit of the doubt at the beginning of the season, but we're now past half and he's still making the same stupid mistakes. (call it pairing issues, positional issues, whatever, he's still making them and some are costing us games)

seems to me its the opposite.. some people here have a hard on for him regardless of whether he's playing well or not..

Last edited by Snoil11: 02-24-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: playing mod
sonetlumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Pomeranian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
Mod-edit: deleted.

like i said, i rarely ever see a singular person consistently bashing him on a night-to-night basis without offering some sort of praise on his good nights. maybe you should stop to think why so many people have been bashing him lately? they, much like me, gave him the benefit of the doubt at the beginning of the season, but we're now past half and he's still making the same stupid mistakes. (call it pairing issues, positional issues, whatever, he's still making them and some are costing us games)

seems to me its the opposite.. some people here have a hard on for him regardless of whether he's playing well or not..
I think that it seems that way because some people are looking long term as you do with defense men. So even if he has a 'bad game' some of us, (yikes me) look to the longer term of his development. Like Regher. He had his troubles and now!! (he has developed into a great shut down defenseman) Phaneuf is looking pretty good tonight I think.

Old
02-28-2009, 10:21 AM
cgychieffan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeranian View Post
I think that it seems that way because some people are looking long term as you do with defense men. So even if he has a 'bad game' some of us, (yikes me) look to the longer term of his development. Like Regher. He had his troubles and now!! (he has developed into a great shut down defenseman) Phaneuf is looking pretty good tonight I think.
Windows for oppurtunity's in the NHL arent always open for very long.. i.e. ottawa.. this is why not everyone has the same patience for development, Calgary is making a run for it NOW!

cgychieffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Windows for oppurtunity's in the NHL arent always open for very long.. i.e. ottawa.. this is why not everyone has the same patience for development, Calgary is making a run for it NOW!
yes the Flames are making a run and Phaneuf has been a huge part of it... Dion does more good than bad on the ice and without him we would be lower in the standings

Old
02-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Pomeranian

Quote:
Well maybe I am much older than you (pretty sure) but I think patience is something you will learn. Flames making a "run" great. But its not game over after this season. I am a fan and I want the team to entertain me and make many "runs" along with our franchise D-Man, Dion!

Old
03-01-2009, 01:57 AM
1025*

of the top 60 shot takers in the NHL.

Phaneuf has the worst shooting percentages, by a lot.

1025* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Pomeranian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1025 View Post
of the top 60 shot takers in the NHL.

Phaneuf has the worst shooting percentages, by a lot.
So you are saying there is room for improvement? Thank goodness hes not 39 yrs old then!