HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big George Laraque's impact

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2009, 03:47 AM
  #26
peperebougon*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Yes...Plekanec sucked because of Georges.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:16 AM
  #27
MisterTrep
Registered User
 
MisterTrep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montréal, Qc
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
he doesnt have much of an impact.

Saying he's hurting the team when he's in the line-up, I don't think it's an honest statement.

Since he recovered from his injury he's playing a great puck possession game along the boards. I like that. He could write a book on how to protect the puck with your his "derrière"

Unfortunatly he came back when the slump started. every single player on that team was at fault. We can't blame George Laraque for the losses our team suffered this season. it's stupid when we all know he plays 5 to 8 minutes a game.

As for his fighting game, I must agree i'm disapointed. It's something I was really looking forward to prior to the season, has we didnt had a real reputed fighter for decades now. But it seems like the game changed, there's not as many "heavyweights" like Laraque anymore and there's even less fighters that would be willing to drop it with him. that's kinda sad... and Useless from a fighting stand point.

Some say he's too nice and should jump guys. Maybe. When Brashear checked Bouillon awkwardly in the boards instead of taking a 2 minutes for hooking I'd rather see George punch Brash behind the head and get the same 2 minutes for roughing or instigator... the message would be sent.
***But I understand when he's saying he can't jump smaller guys. thats coward, Laraque is a legit heavyweight with honor and I respect that.

MisterTrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 08:34 AM
  #28
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
He's terrible.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 09:33 AM
  #29
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,307
vCash: 500
I would have prefered getting Andre Roy. The guy has fire in spades. And he's the opposite of BGL in that the coachs have to restrain him because he's too wild. Imagine that.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 09:35 AM
  #30
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
he's not even usefull in physical category

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:31 AM
  #31
mabus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I would have prefered getting Andre Roy. The guy has fire in spades. And he's the opposite of BGL in that the coachs have to restrain him because he's too wild. Imagine that.
Yeah that's what you want in the playoffs, unnessecary stupid penalties

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:35 AM
  #32
Pat
Registered User
 
Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I would have prefered getting Andre Roy. The guy has fire in spades. And he's the opposite of BGL in that the coachs have to restrain him because he's too wild. Imagine that.
he's wacko...a real headcase

stupid penalties are his specialty.
I'm glad Gainey went with Laraque. at least he's not hurting the team like a Roy would

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:35 PM
  #33
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
he's wacko...a real headcase

stupid penalties are his specialty.
I'm glad Gainey went with Laraque. at least he's not hurting the team like a Roy would
Right ! He is doing "n o t h i n g ".

If the guy had a one-year 600-800,000 $ contract, I would not mind. But 3 years at 1.5 with hidden injuries . WoW !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:38 PM
  #34
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Gainey needs to cut his losses with Georges. You can't have a 1.5 million dollar drain on your cap going towards arguably the worst hockey player in the league.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:38 PM
  #35
Pat
Registered User
 
Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Right ! He is doing "n o t h i n g ".

If the guy had a one-year 600-800,000 $ contract, I would not mind. But 3 years at 1.5 with hidden injuries . WoW !
ok, you shut me up

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:40 PM
  #36
Riggins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,273
vCash: 500
He thinks he is a center in basketball, all he does is "post up in the key" for a few seconds before losing the puck.

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:41 PM
  #37
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
Yeah that's what you want in the playoffs, unnessecary stupid penalties
At this point penalties are the least of our problems. And Andre wouldn't play much in the playoffs anyway.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:44 PM
  #38
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
he's wacko...a real headcase

stupid penalties are his specialty.
I'm glad Gainey went with Laraque. at least he's not hurting the team like a Roy would
Roy is not hurting the Flames as far as I know. Secondly, the Habs have too much calm gentle guys. Of the last 15 years of crappitude we only have had guys that defended themselves and most of them are crappy fighters. While i'm tired with this attitude. We need people with an edge.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:45 PM
  #39
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!
 
Vinceee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Amos, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,412
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
one thing is... the fourth line is way better without him

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:47 PM
  #40
flappuck
Registered User
 
flappuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Because I was hoping someone could provide some hard evidence to confirm that our record was significantly worse with BGL in the lineup (which someone did confirm). I know anecdotally, we've certainly played worse.
If you look hard enough, I'm sure you could find other stats pointing to another player being the "cause" of this record.

Maybe you could try and find the number of games in which Laraque played that also had Tanguay and Lang and then you could blame the losses on those two not being there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTrep View Post
Some say he's too nice and should jump guys. Maybe. When Brashear checked Bouillon awkwardly in the boards instead of taking a 2 minutes for hooking I'd rather see George punch Brash behind the head and get the same 2 minutes for roughing or instigator... the message would be sent.
First, that penalty should've gone to Bouillon, not Laraque.
Second, if Laraque jumps Brashear, he actually gets 5 minutes and it brings nothing to the team.

Plus, Brashears hit was a great legal hit, why break his face? You hit back with hard checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
He thinks he is a center in basketball, all he does is "post up in the key" for a few seconds before losing the puck.
That's pretty much what 4th liners are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Roy is not hurting the Flames as far as I know.
Neither does BGL but I'll admit that both don't bring much to the table either.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:53 PM
  #41
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
Yeah let's blame a 4th liner who plays 5 min. a game
If only he was playing 5 minutes a game. Its more like 10 minutes some nights.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:01 PM
  #42
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
First, that penalty should've gone to Bouillon, not Laraque.
Second, if Laraque jumps Brashear, he actually gets 5 minutes and it brings nothing to the team.
It was a clean hit but if Laraque jumps Brashear he gets a 2 for instigating, not 5. The only time one guy ends up with 5 and the other 0 is if Brashear keeps his gloves on, which is a very dangerous thing to do against a guy with Laraque's size and strength. Brashear knew he could just skate away because Laraque's not one to take charge and the whole league knows it.

Anyways, Brashear is a much more useful player than Laraque.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:03 PM
  #43
Rickkins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 584
vCash: 500
If he played with the heart of, say...Chris (knuckles) Nilan, then he'd be more than awesome. Sadly though, I see a guy who doesn't seem to play with a lot of intensity. Could be just my own perception, of course...but that's my impression.

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:06 PM
  #44
TheCanasianfrasian
Registered User
 
TheCanasianfrasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 985
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
I was optimistic when we signed up before this season started. But he disapointed me very quickly. In the 1st half of the season he was sloppy, couldnt handle the puck to save his life, was slow on his skates, and missed most of his checks.

since he came back from his ''back injury'' he's been a lot better. He seems like he's in much better shape. I much rather have a guy like stewart on the ice though. and i wouldnt mind if we try to dump him at the deadline

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:09 PM
  #45
flappuck
Registered User
 
flappuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by visorwearinghockey View Post
It was a clean hit but if Laraque jumps Brashear he gets a 2 for instigating, not 5. The only time one guy ends up with 5 and the other 0 is if Brashear keeps his gloves on, which is a very dangerous thing to do against a guy with Laraque's size and strength. Brashear knew he could just skate away because Laraque's not one to take charge and the whole league knows it.

Anyways, Brashear is a much more useful player than Laraque.
Since Brashear has his back to Laraque, I'd say there's a fair chance he doesn't have time to drop the gloves and just turtles which gives Laraque a 5.

The guy can't just pummle everyone every time one of our guys gets hit.

I just think that overall, people set their expectations too high.
You all seem to expect him to drop the gloves every single game or all of a sudden become a power forward.

He's a 4th liner with a reputation for being the best fighter in the league but that's it...
Nothing more, nothing less...

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:11 PM
  #46
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post

Neither does BGL but I'll admit that both don't bring much to the table either.
Actualy Roy bring fire, he has an edge that he can bring during the game that BGL cannot do. George can't intimidate, he only fight when other people wants to. Roy can be effective as a fourth liner/checker, he did very well in Tampa on that position. Andre Roy > Dandenault or anybody on the 4th line as far as utility.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:13 PM
  #47
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
just once i would like uncle george , to play when neil plays for ott,

and neil gets some
He did earlier this year if im not mistaken, and Neil was a ghost for the night.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:18 PM
  #48
flappuck
Registered User
 
flappuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Actualy Roy bring fire, he has an edge that he can bring during the game that BGL cannot do. George can't intimidate, he only fight when other people wants to. Roy can be effective as a fourth liner/checker, he did very well in Tampa on that position. Andre Roy > Dandenault or anybody on the 4th line as far as utility.
You haven't watched many Calgary games have you?

Like you said "he did very well in Tampa"
He's not very effective anymore nor is he considered to be a heavyweight.

Look at other heavyweights in the league and see if they do much more than Laraque. They don't.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:19 PM
  #49
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
If he played with the heart of, say...Chris (knuckles) Nilan, then he'd be more than awesome. Sadly though, I see a guy who doesn't seem to play with a lot of intensity. Could be just my own perception, of course...but that's my impression.
Maybe that's because he plays on average 7:53min/game and that he just came back from an injury.
His comeback from injury was also made during our horrible slump, where nobody seemed to be playing with heart.

People are too critical of Laraque. It seems every time we play a team that has a tough guy, people expect him to fight.
Every time someone checks one of our players hard, people expect Laraque to lay the Smacket Down on their candy *****...
Just not gonna happen.

I'm disappointed because he got injured, but I'm happy to see him in our lineup. I rather have him there for 7-8min, than to see Carbo give another 4th liner 10-11-12min of ice time.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:21 PM
  #50
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,806
vCash: 500
how many hits does he average a game?

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.