HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Post-Game Thread -- #57 -- Penguins at Flyers -- February 21, 2009

Old
02-21-2009, 07:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
Unless he brings home the cup, Biron is DONE in philly. These soft goals are too ****ing much, and his biggest error yet to one of our biggest rivals and the most hated player in Philly. Marty, get ready for the boo birds.
Again.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-centra...ear=2009&pos=G

Assume Tim Thomas and Backstrom stay put. Who would you like us to get?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 07:14 PM
AaronTrieu

vCash: 500
no one knows which biron will show up everynight. hes too inconsistent. everyone was banking on him being "playoff marty".

instead of "knubled", we should say "martied" from now on if the other teams goalie gives up a softy

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Again.

Lets bring back Boooooooch as our starter

Yertle The Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 07:23 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Again.

Doesnt mean hes calling for a trade now. Maybe hes saying Biron wont be resigned.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 07:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Again.

Or we can keep riding Biron like you want us to. Lets sign him for a 5 year deal and hope he gets us to the Stanley Cup the way he is playing

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Steve Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
If only the NHL 09 patch applied here. lol.

Lemme guess the Pitt announcers felt Malkins late hit on Hartnell was clean and didnt deserve the 4 minutes. lol.
Yep, Steiger was appalled that he got an unsportsmanlike.

He also ridiculed Hartnell and Richards for diving, but would not comment when questioned about Crosby and said something like "great players do what they have to do to win"

I just got Center Ice (live in VA) and this is the first time I've ever heard them do a game. If I watch anymore Pens games it will likely be on MUTE.

Steve Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Reminisce with me

Remember the first time you played a hockey video game, and you accidentally controlled the goalie and skated him out to the blue line?

And, then, your older brother took a shot that he couldn't miss?

Happened to me. True story.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 07:39 PM
AaronTrieu

hartnell did flop a bit though...but when the pens announcers were talking about diving, they accidentally slipped out "crosby took a dive earlier" then the other color guy tried to correct him and say he embellished a bit. hahaha

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 07:42 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post

Remember the first time you played a hockey video game, and you accidentally controlled the goalie and skated him out to the blue line?

And, then, your older brother took a shot that he couldn't miss?

Happened to me. True story.
Christ, I must have missed a horrible game today.
****ing Biron.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 07:44 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Attachment 32296 Lol

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 03-27-2009 at 01:19 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Tommy D

Quote:
Again, please tell us what legit #1 goalie is available and worth trading for.
That isnít my Job. Sorry not biting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I guess you missed the last 3 games when he was averaging almost 40 saves.
Oh no ya donít! I watched them all right.

This ainít the freaking stock market where past performance is no guarantee of future gains. This is hockey and we need consistency in the net.

Honestly you think Mary was stellar in his last 3 games?

I see a man whoís fighting the puck night in and night out. I have grown tired of reading on what he is going to do differently. With his number of years in the league you donít teach and old dog new tricks. <Like suddenly being the new 3rd d-man trying to clear out pucks. Try stopping a wrap around first>

I want this team to do well. Iím out of patience with out goalies, thatís all.

Tommy D

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Steve Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
hartnell did flop a bit though...but when the pens announcers were talking about diving, they accidentally slipped out "crosby took a dive earlier" then the other color guy tried to correct him and say he embellished a bit. hahaha

oh yeah, I know Hartnell did. I was just really annoyed how he threw him under the bus after giving the guy on their team basically a complete pass.

Steve Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Again.

If we can take a shot on the likes of Esche and Biron why not take a shot on someone who has a high ceiling like Lehtonen?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 08:15 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Maybe Lehtonen would be a good idea. keep one of Biron/Niitty

soft goal?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Okay, so Marty had a brain fart today. Listen, if you guys got fired every time you had a brain fart at work, you'd be on your millionth job right now. He gambled and lost trying to make a play.

Frankly, I get it. It cost us the game. But we also gave up 4 other goals which weren't his fault entirely, and we need to look at that as well.

Honestly, you guys keep calling to trade for Lehtonen, but the guy hasn't really done **** in his career. So we move good assets for that? Explain.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
If we can take a shot on the likes of Esche and Biron why not take a shot on someone who has a high ceiling like Lehtonen?
The only issue I have, or would have with Lehtonen, is merely conditioning.

You could say the same for Leclaire, two young goalies with huge upside, that are known to be a little fragile.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 08:26 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
Okay, so Marty had a brain fart today. Listen, if you guys got fired every time you had a brain fart at work, you'd be on your millionth job right now. He gambled and lost trying to make a play.

Frankly, I get it. It cost us the game. But we also gave up 4 other goals which weren't his fault entirely, and we need to look at that as well.

Honestly, you guys keep calling to trade for Lehtonen, but the guy hasn't really done **** in his career. So we move good assets for that? Explain.
Martin has had a few this year, but Im not calling for him to be traded. There isnt an upgrade available lol. Iuno I rank Birons brain fart up with Hartnell's glove incident. People were calling for his head then, putting him in proposals. Then he went on a tear, and became a hero. Watch Martin have a great stretch and people will for get all about it. I think its all frustration about who it happened against and who scored the goal, which led to us losing.

Old
02-21-2009, 08:27 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
The only issue I have, or would have with Lehtonen, is merely conditioning.

You could say the same for Leclaire, two young goalies with huge upside, that are known to be a little fragile.
And with McCrossin and crew here, this could be a HUGE disaster...

Old
02-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
The situation is awful, no doubt. You know, in the heat of the moment, he was trying to make a play and it backfired. I do remember watching half the team staring at him as he was trying to get back into his net instead of trying to recover with him. Although, I'd probably do the same thing.

We've got to get off Marty -- any goalie you put in our system where we consistently give up a ton of shots is going to have problems. We give up close to 32 shots a game, and the teams that give up more in the conference -- TB, Atlanta, NYI, and Florida -- are mostly horrible teams, save Florida. I don't think that is Marty's fault, my friends.

Also, we are top in the conference in PIM against. Now, that is half on the players and half on the coaching system -- we don't have lazy players, but we do have players who are consistently caught out of position in both ends of the ice. To be fair, we also have players who are physical, probably more so than other teams. And then, another percentage of that is straight bias. We've played 4 less games than the next team under us in PIM's and they have the same amount. Our differential is 187 PIM's. Thats absurd.

Last edited by Raffl House: 02-21-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: The whole point of me bringing up the PIM's was that we spend a good deal of time on the PK -- also leading to more GA.
Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
My issue with Marty is that he doesn't seem to be focused.

I really don't what would possess him to flip the puck out of his glove with the Penguins players present. At that point in time, take the delay of game penalty for smothering the puck out of the creese.

I'm not suggesting we trade for Lehtonen, but one thing is for sure...Marty needs to smarten up, tighten up...and wake up.

Where the season stands today, I'd be disapointed if Holmgren gives him a new contract, even at a discount. This is not the play I was expecting following last years playoff run (which appears to 'luck' more than anything), and for him being in a contract year.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 08:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Or we can keep riding Biron like you want us to. Lets sign him for a 5 year deal and hope he gets us to the Stanley Cup the way he is playing
Shades of 2007 and the wars I went through on this board when the Biron/Niittymaki debate sprung up before Biron was even on the team.

I'm all ears for getting a new goalie, but tell me who is a better option, and why any of these guys give us any more of a better shot. The only thing I wanted for Niittymaki was for him to have a chance to be a solid #1 with a competent team in front of him. They traded for/signed Biron and STILL gave Niittymaki a shot once Biron wasn't cutting it during stretches over the past 2 years. And he couldn't get it done, so any future chances will solely be out of circumstance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
And with McCrossin and crew here, this could be a HUGE disaster...
McCrossin isn't to blame for everything.

I don't know off hand how long he's been here, but look at the last 15 or so years and list the years we used more than two goalies in a season, because of injuries.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 08:58 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Shades of 2007 and the wars I went through on this board when the Biron/Niittymaki debate sprung up before Biron was even on the team.

I'm all ears for getting a new goalie, but tell me who is a better option, and why any of these guys give us any more of a better shot. The only thing I wanted for Niittymaki was for him to have a chance to be a solid #1 with a competent team in front of him. They traded for/signed Biron and STILL gave Niittymaki a shot once Biron wasn't cutting it during stretches over the past 2 years. And he couldn't get it done, so any future chances will solely be out of circumstance.

McCrossin isn't to blame for everything.

I don't know off hand how long he's been here, but look at the last 15 or so years and list the years we used more than two goalies in a season, because of injuries.
Im not blaming McCrossin with the goalie issue, but with Lehtonen it would be an epic disaster. Our training staff rushes people back a lot, and cant seem to keep people in shape and rehabbed. and Lehtonen has an injury issue. mix those 2 and wed have ww3 here on the flyer board.

Old
02-21-2009, 09:09 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Again.

It's going to be JS Giguere in Anaheim. There's talk of a firesale shortly in Anaheim and Giguere would be near the top of the list. The Flyers have the assets it would take to trade with Anaheim.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 09:11 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
It's going to be JS Giguere in Anaheim. There's talk of a firesale shortly in Anaheim and Giguere would be near the top of the list. The Flyers have the assets it would take to trade with Anaheim.
They like Lupul lol. rather get Pronger tho.

Old
02-21-2009, 09:28 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
My issue with Marty is that he doesn't seem to be focused.

I really don't what would possess him to flip the puck out of his glove with the Penguins players present. At that point in time, take the delay of game penalty for smothering the puck out of the creese.
Apparently he saif after the game that it was never in his glove

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote