HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post-Game Thread -- #57 -- Penguins at Flyers -- February 21, 2009

Old
02-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Apparently he saif after the game that it was never in his glove
0:30, it's in the glove...he opts to flip/fling (pick any word you wish) it, rather than smother it and take the delay of game and trust the PK to bail him out. Why the **** would he do that with other players present, so far out his net???

Marty Biron looked like Manny Ramirez on that play. Only I find Manny funny (in a very stupid way), Marty just pisses me off.

Last edited by Opus: 02-21-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 09:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
It's going to be JS Giguere in Anaheim. There's talk of a firesale shortly in Anaheim and Giguere would be near the top of the list. The Flyers have the assets it would take to trade with Anaheim.
If you believe everything you hear, Ilya Bryzgalov once said that it wouldn't be the first time they tried to trade Giguere.

I'll take him though.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Yertle The Turtle

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Nitty is weird, I know earlier I called for him to be the starter in a fit of rage, but looking clearly I realise he could not start for us, and that is a damn shame. If Nitty was consistent and had the stamina to be a starter he could be near the top of the league. He has alot less of a problem with lessing in weak goals, and it seems to me like he steals alot more saves than Marty Biron too. Anyone remember this one?

Yertle The Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Both Niittymaki and Biron would make very nice back-up goalies.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Marty pulled a Hartnell. **** happens

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 09:51 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

So I was checking my ESPN fantasy hockey team, which ofcourse Richards is on, and in the news thing about him it had this quote.

Quote:
He fits the profile of an elite fantasy player. It's his fourth season -- the magic year for hockey players to explode -- and he's on pace for more than 90 points. He just turned 24 and he's a dominant penalty killer -- in four seasons, he has scored 72 goals including a whopping 19 while killing penalties. Yes, 26 percent of his goals have come shorthanded. One word -- insane.
I think its a pretty cool stat. Never really thought about how many of his goals are actually shorthanded...over a 1/4 of his goals is just crazy.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Tommy D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yertle The Turtle View Post
Anyone remember this one?

If that was a must win game, at the Nassua "Mausoleum" won by Danny in a SO, I was there baby!

Tommy D

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 09:58 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
If that was a must win game, at the Nassua "Mausoleum" won by Danny in a SO, I was there baby!

Tommy D
Nope, old uni's, before Danny showed up.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:09 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If you believe everything you hear, Ilya Bryzgalov once said that it wouldn't be the first time they tried to trade Giguere.

I'll take him though.
I can see a deal something like this:

To Philadelphia: JS Giguere, Mark Mitera
To Anaheim: James Van Riemsdyk, Martin Biron, Andreas Nodl.

Anaheim gets two young forwards and a pending UFA in Biron. Cash is freed up in the deal.

The Flyers get that true number one goalie they've been looking for and they get a solid, defensive defenseman prospect in Mitera. I think this could work.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:12 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
JXC The puck wasn't deflected by two guys. It deflected off Malkins skate and then it went off of his stick. Look we know you don't want to ever blame Jones. But the fact is if he had cleared Malkin out of the front of the net instead of slapping him on his ass the goal would have never happened.
That would have been cool. Then Randy Jones could have toured the continent giving seminars to NHL defensemen on how to hold the league's leading score pointless.

The puck was deflected twice, by two different players.

You need to deal with the fact that your favorite hockey team is going to lose games on a regular basis. You can be a good fan without obsessing with imaginary villains after a loss, you know.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:13 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I can see a deal something like this:

To Philadelphia: JS Giguere, Mark Mitera
To Anaheim: James Van Riemsdyk, Martin Biron, Andreas Nodl.

Anaheim gets two young forwards and a pending UFA in Biron. Cash is freed up in the deal.

The Flyers get that true number one goalie they've been looking for and they get a solid, defensive defenseman prospect in Mitera. I think this could work.
No sir. Dont like it. lol.

Old
02-21-2009, 10:16 PM
xifentoozlerix

The Biron hate is getting ridiculous. Look, he is not the second coming of Patrick Roy. But what he IS is a capable goalie who CAN take us to the finals. No question about it. He made a split second decision which turned into a flukey, strange goal. Yes, it was a backbreaker, but at least he has the balls to go and try to make that play. The first 4 goals of the game are seriously not on him. A shot through two screens and off the post and in, a double-tipped deflection on the PP, wide open one timer from the high slot labeled for the top corner, and a wide open top corner shot from the top of the crease (after a blatant noncall on the other end to boot). Sure, his glove hand could have been a bit stronger, but those are high-quality scoring areas. A perfect shot is going to go in damn near every time from those places. Does noone remember the first period, where Biron makes 4 or 5 great saves to keep them off the board? You dont win games by expecting your goalie to make 15 spectacular saves a night. It should be more like 4 or 5 total, with another 4 or 5 above average saves, and 10+ routine saves.

xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:17 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Both Niittymaki and Biron would make very nice back-up goalies.
Agreed. Too bad we probably can't resign one next year.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yertle The Turtle View Post
If Nitty was consistent and had the stamina to be a starter he could be near the top of the league.
I would run Niitty into the ground like a rented mule.

He's currently the better goalie on this team, and he's not a long-term solution of any sort. He's going to float out West and be a career back-up somewhere, the same as his predecessors.

I think Biron has made a sufficient case to lose his job. If Biron could just manage to play mediocre this season, than the Flyers would be in better shape.

Old
02-21-2009, 10:20 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Jeez, that's not even that bad.

The guy with the pads should be in the net of course but that hardly looks like checkmate to me.

Old
02-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
The Biron hate is getting ridiculous. Look, he is not the second coming of Patrick Roy. But what he IS is a capable goalie who CAN take us to the finals. No question about it. He made a split second decision which turned into a flukey, strange goal. Yes, it was a backbreaker, but at least he has the balls to go and try to make that play. The first 4 goals of the game are seriously not on him. A shot through two screens and off the post and in, a double-tipped deflection on the PP, wide open one timer from the high slot labeled for the top corner, and a wide open top corner shot from the top of the crease (after a blatant noncall on the other end to boot). Sure, his glove hand could have been a bit stronger, but those are high-quality scoring areas. A perfect shot is going to go in damn near every time from those places. Does noone remember the first period, where Biron makes 4 or 5 great saves to keep them off the board? You dont win games by expecting your goalie to make 15 spectacular saves a night. It should be more like 4 or 5 total, with another 4 or 5 above average saves, and 10+ routine saves.

Any fan has good reason to be pissed at Marty today. He handed the Pens 2 gift wrapped points. I don't really see anyone expecting Biron to play like Roy. Hopefully he's one of those guys that elevates his game and last year wasn't a mirage. He's just not that predictable right now.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Jeez, that's not even that bad.

The guy with the pads should be in the net of course but that hardly looks like checkmate to me.
It doesn't look like checkmate.

But, consider:

1. The blurred guy trailing the play is Crosby.
2. In the following seconds, none of the orange guys make an attempt to play the puck after the guy in the pads drops it.

Old
02-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
The Biron hate is getting ridiculous. Look, he is not the second coming of Patrick Roy. But what he IS is a capable goalie who CAN take us to the finals. No question about it.
No question about it?

Please elaborate...

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
But what he IS is a capable goalie who CAN take us to the finals.
Could you imagine Marty in a series versus the Red Wings?

Detroit would score no less than 5 or 6 goals a game.

Old
02-21-2009, 10:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
No question about it?

Please elaborate...
Ask the Canadiens.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:39 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
It doesn't look like checkmate.

But, consider:

1. The blurred guy trailing the play is Crosby.
2. In the following seconds, none of the orange guys make an attempt to play the puck after the guy in the pads drops it.
I guess they were stunned by what they just saw happen, cannot blame them for that...

Seriously.

Biron will take the majority of the heat because the numbers on the backs of the sweaters of those who stood and watched the horror unfold don't match the numbers on The Whipping Boy List.

I see the elitely-defensive Selke potential #12 watching the league's second best player skate by and then failing to stop the pass to him. I see the future shutdown stud Greatest Trade Ever #5 standing really quite still, taking no action whatsoever. And then there's He Who Made Randy Jones Redundant #25 being beaten to a loose puck with the game in the line. Who else is in that frame? Is it #22 or #18?

That doesn't even mention that #5 and #25 allowed themselves to be split by a 9 goal scorer with two minutes left in a tie game in the first place.

Old
02-21-2009, 10:43 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Could you imagine Marty in a series versus the Red Wings?

Detroit would score no less than 5 or 6 goals a game.
Yes with d pairings like Alberts and randy ****ING jones together. Or Carle and Coburn. Stupid combos make more work fore the goalie. and if that goalie isnt patrick roy that goalie will let in a lot of goals. especially against a team like detroit that plays solid disaplined hockey.

Jones and Alberts get to play while they just plain blow, yet Ossi rides the pine......

That said, it doesnt excuse why Biron did what he did. That was just stupid

Last edited by TheDrizzle81: 02-21-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old
02-21-2009, 10:44 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

See?

All that said, it's boneheadery of the highest order by Biron, really not a play that's explainable by anything other than lack of focus, and that's a bad way to lose a hockey game.

Old
02-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Ask the Canadiens.
That was a miraculous gift from the gods to Marty Biron's resume.

Old
02-21-2009, 10:47 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I guess they were stunned by what they just saw happen, cannot blame them for that...

Seriously.

Biron will take the majority of the heat because the numbers on the backs of the sweaters of those who stood and watched the horror unfold don't match the numbers on The Whipping Boy List.

I see the elitely-defensive Selke potential #12 watching the league's second best player skate by and then failing to stop the pass to him. I see the future shutdown stud Greatest Trade Ever #5 standing really quite still, taking no action whatsoever. And then there's He Who Made Randy Jones Redundant #25 being beaten to a loose puck with the game in the line. Who else is in that frame? Is it #22 or #18?

That doesn't even mention that #5 and #25 allowed themselves to be split by a 9 goal scorer with two minutes left in a tie game in the first place.

Come on, Jones made himself redundant when he first laced up ice skates and decided he wanted to play professional hockey. That is all.