HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post-Game Thread -- #57 -- Penguins at Flyers -- February 21, 2009

Old
02-21-2009, 11:53 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
IN OTHER NEWS:

= Coburn is really looking strong now, doing the things we expected of him esp. with regard to going to the net and getting good hard shots on goal. They need him to perform well if they are going anywhere this Spring. It's very encouraging to see him lifting his game.

= Giroux's going to be a pretty darn nice NHL player, he has that thing you can't explain but you see because most players don't have it. That's an exciting line.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:55 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1505
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...12/1002/SPORTS
Quote:
After the game, Fraser explained that a goalie can smother a puck within eight to 10 feet of his goal crease. But once he is beyond that area he must play the puck with his stick or glove the puck and play it either laterally or toward his own goal.

``If he covers it there, it's a penalty," Fraser said. ``If he throws it forward, it's a penalty. We probably would have given him about three seconds (to decide). He probably had more time than he thought."

Flyers coach John Stevens said the resiliency his team showed with third-period goals by Mike Richards, Braydon Coburn and Mike Knuble made Biron's miscue sting even more.

``That far out (of your crease), bad things can happen," Stevens said. ``Obviously, with the result, it's easier to say. I'd rather see something else happen there for sure."

Several Flyers refused to blame their embattled goaltender for the loss. Richards, who scored a shorthanded goal to start the Flyers' rally, blamed himself for the loss, saying his two giveaways led to Penguins goals.

``(Biron) made one mistake and I made two, so it should be my fault rather than his," Richards said. ``As a leader on the team that can't happen. When you're a captain, it's tough giving up goals to players you're supposed to be shutting down."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Richards... blamed himself for the loss...
Help, I'm choking on a cliche.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:02 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I guess you missed the last 3 games when he was averaging almost 40 saves.
well I dont think you can blame peoples frustration over a goalie who can play 3 solid games in a row, and then make a bonehead mistake that cost his team at least 1 point. 3 out 4 doesnt cut it for me. Yes he played well the last 3 games, but its the inconsistancy that drives people crazy. I know there is no other alternatives so we are going to trust him. But today was pretty inexcusable. The team deserved a better fate.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:04 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
the news of Richards taking the blame for the loss ought to make JXC happy.

Old
02-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Ask the Canadiens.
So he beat the Canadiens when Price was fighting the puck, big deal. Far cry from making to the finals...and/or winning the Stanley Cup.

I'll give him a A+ for the playoff run he lead us on, I have no problem giving credit where I feel it's due. However, like I have stated previously, I'm concerned with the follow up performance...especially in a contract year. It's a legitimate reason for concern. He's up and down like Heidi Fleiss.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:22 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Anyone can lead their team to the finals. If Arturs Irbe (and Kevin Weekes) can do it, anyone can do it. Irbe fell off so bad the next year, he wound up in the ECHL.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:25 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Anyone can lead their team to the finals. If Arturs Irbe (and Kevin Weekes) can do it, anyone can do it. Irbe fell off so bad the next year, he wound up in the ECHL.
yeah see Robert Esche.
How long did it take for him to get run out of town after he led a team ravaged by injuries on the blueline to within 1 game of the SCF. well Esche and Primeau.

Old
02-22-2009, 12:30 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
the news of Richards taking the blame for the loss ought to make JXC happy.
Are you sure Richards was on the ice for his turnovers?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
If that's the case, we should go with Munroe next season and save ourselves a bunch of money.

Old
02-22-2009, 12:32 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Did someone seriously suggest giving up JVR and Nodl for Giguere?

Does anyone realize that Giggy has been awful this year?

Frickin retards on this board..

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:52 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Did someone seriously suggest giving up JVR and Nodl for Giguere?

Does anyone realize that Giggy has been awful this year?

Frickin retards on this board..
Didnt hear that one. That one is more brutal then JVR for Lehtonen by a mile.

Old
02-22-2009, 12:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
If that's the case, we should go with Munroe next season and save ourselves a bunch of money.
If the shoe fits...

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:56 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Hahaha I actually never thought of that... **** it! People say we should stick with average Biron cause other teams did it... Lets get rid of him, and go with Monroe! Hey other teams did it with average goalies, we can do it with our "star" phantoms goalie!

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
If the shoe fits...
Exactly. The shoe doesn't fit.

Sure it's happened, but it's more unlikely...than likely.

You and I know both know that.

Old
02-22-2009, 01:00 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
well I probably shouldnt laugh at that. I never saw what Clemmenson did this season coming. Not after seeing him in the AHL. He never was anything special down there.

Old
02-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Irbe fell off so bad the next year, he wound up in the ECHL.
True story.

For some reason, I wound up at a Boardwalk Bullies game one night...

And, to my complete shock and bewilderment, Irbe was in the opposing line-up. I couldn't believe it.

EDIT: In Arturs' defense, he was 38 at the time he got sent to the ECHL. So, it's most likely a case of a player just hanging on too long. (And, hey, he was an ECHL All Star, thank you very much.)

Last edited by Readyrock: 02-22-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old
02-22-2009, 01:37 AM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
well I probably shouldnt laugh at that. I never saw what Clemmenson did this season coming. Not after seeing him in the AHL. He never was anything special down there.
He is playing for the devils, so its not like he's facing nitty/biron workload in net, nor the quality of chances. I doubt he gets a big offer in the offseason because most teams know that. assuming chicago is done throwing money at goalies for now.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 01:46 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
He is playing for the devils, so its not like he's facing nitty/biron workload in net, nor the quality of chances. I doubt he gets a big offer in the offseason because most teams know that. assuming chicago is done throwing money at goalies for now.
I dont think Clemmenson hits free agency(didnt know he was a UFA)
I think when Brodeur gets back the Devils will waive or trade Weekes.

Old
02-22-2009, 03:56 AM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
**** that, put in Dancing Shawny. I bet he'll play for free.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:10 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I love how all I hear is "any goalie can get you to a cup finals, just look at (insert career average goalie here)". Yeah we get it happens. I'll still take my chances with a good goalie over what we have.

The rays made it to the WS finals, the Cardinal made it to the super bowl...obviously anything CAN happen but it doesnt mean next year I'm putting my money on The Nationals vs Royals...Id rather invest my money a little better on the Phills vs the Sox or something.

Just because something CAN happen doesnt make the odds any better.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:24 AM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I love how all I hear is "any goalie can get you to a cup finals, just look at (insert career average goalie here)". Yeah we get it happens. I'll still take my chances with a good goalie over what we have.

The rays made it to the WS finals, the Cardinal made it to the super bowl...obviously anything CAN happen but it doesnt mean next year I'm putting my money on The Nationals vs Royals...Id rather invest my money a little better on the Phills vs the Sox or something.

Just because something CAN happen doesnt make the odds any better.
No but like... apparently it's impossible to find a decent starting goalie in the NHL so they might as well just not try. Never mind that there are a bunch of possible solutions that can yield a high return, it's better for Holmgren to sit on his *** and sign BIRAWWWWW to an extension or something.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:47 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
apparently it's impossible to find a decent starting goalie in the NHL so they might as well just not try.
Not impossible.

Just, you're going to get gouged for way above fair value to pry a goalie from the clutches of an unwilling shipper.

The only goalies on the block are, essentially, side-grades.

Who, specifically, should we be rolling the dice on?

Giguere? He's a streaky Frenchman on the down-slope of his career who's currently piecing together a bad season. To get him, you're definitely giving up JVR, a pick, and a sweetener.

Kevin Weekes appears to be the odd man out in Jersey, but why would you bother giving up one of your young assets at forward for a goalie to play the third act in Niittymaki/Biron's comedy of errors? Not worth it.

What other goalies do you have in mind?

Old
02-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
The Biron hate is getting ridiculous. Look, he is not the second coming of Patrick Roy. But what he IS is a capable goalie who CAN take us to the finals. No question about it. He made a split second decision which turned into a flukey, strange goal. Yes, it was a backbreaker, but at least he has the balls to go and try to make that play. The first 4 goals of the game are seriously not on him. A shot through two screens and off the post and in, a double-tipped deflection on the PP, wide open one timer from the high slot labeled for the top corner, and a wide open top corner shot from the top of the crease (after a blatant noncall on the other end to boot). Sure, his glove hand could have been a bit stronger, but those are high-quality scoring areas. A perfect shot is going to go in damn near every time from those places. Does noone remember the first period, where Biron makes 4 or 5 great saves to keep them off the board? You dont win games by expecting your goalie to make 15 spectacular saves a night. It should be more like 4 or 5 total, with another 4 or 5 above average saves, and 10+ routine saves.
Fleury made a ton of good saves too, that's what a goalie is supposed to do. Same **** every year, good team, lousy goaltending.

Banger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 08:35 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Giguere? He's a streaky Frenchman on the down-slope of his career who's currently piecing together a bad season.
That's not necessarily true and that's why the argument goes both ways. He's proven himself before, and I could see him finishing his career rock solid behind a good team. He's five full years younger than Brodeur.

The argument goes both ways like with Khabibulin. He was a cup champ, then he was crap, now he's good again.

Bottom line is with goalies it's always a BIG gamble, never even close to a sure thing. That's why Biron is not as bad as some people make him out to be.

As for Lehtonen, it's just a gut feeling but I don't want any part of him.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote