HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Great Game by Kovalev but...

Old
02-22-2009, 02:12 PM
la25ecoupe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Nobody is saying he has to be paired with specific players, people are saying he just shouldn't be paired with KOVALEV.

A.Kost needs to be the go-to guy of his line and needs to have the puck on his stick often.
Kovalev is a puck hog.

You don't need a doctorate to realize they don't quite pair up nicely.
If you have eyes, than you can see that A.Kost is much more visible/implied when isn't paired with Kovalev.

Just watch the games..

A.Kost had bad games, nobody is denying that, but he looks better much more comfortable on RW, the only time he plays on that side is when he's not with Kovalev...

Seriously..you don't have to be a genius to notice this..
What about Carbo?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:17 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Lets wait a few games and see if this line works for real or not. If Kovalev is willing to make adjustments to his game then why couldn't it work? And seriously who cares wether its Kostitsyn or Kovalev scoring goals.. (this coming for an Andrei Kostitsyn fan).

If we can get Kovalev to play motivated like last year (which seems to be happening) then we will gain an extremely valuable player, just as if we traded for a rental. Combine this with Schneider's arrival, Tanguay's return and we have a very competitive team again.

Who cares if some people hold an irrational hate for him. This team needs something positive and Kovalev's return to form could be part of it.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
What about Carbo?
I think it's pretty fair to say Carbo ain't no genius.
He's proven that many times over the past few years.

Lapierre 20min of ice time. (2nd most IT for Forwards vs WSH)
Kosto 21min of ice time. (Most IT for Forwards vs WSH)
Stewart 17min of ice time.

Sums up quite nicely what I think of Carbo.

Last edited by Kriss E: 02-22-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:21 PM
kovalost27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Lets wait a few games and see if this line works for real or not. If Kovalev is willing to make adjustments to his game then why couldn't it work? And seriously who cares wether its Kostitsyn or Kovalev scoring goals.. (this coming for an Andrei Kostitsyn fan).

If we can get Kovalev to play motivated like last year (which seems to be happening) then we will gain an extremely valuable player, just as if we traded for a rental. Combine this with Schneider's arrival, Tanguay's return and we have a very competitive team again.

Who cares if some people hold an irrational hate for him. This team needs something positive and Kovalev's return to form could be part of it.
Dead on. If not, there's always next year or the trade deadline.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:33 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
It is far from stubbornness, it's history. Kovalev has had the tag of being an inconsistent player, someone who has an immense talent but simply doesn't provide the necessary effort to shine on a regular basis and that, his entire career!

People were extremely hard on him two years ago and guess what? THEY WERE RIGHT! Why is that? Because he proved them wrong last year! Yes, he showed everyone of what he was capable of doing when putting a decent effort game in, game out and guess what? The results were there for both himself and the team.

So people are hard on him? Well... if he provided the quality of play as he did last year, would we be talking about him right now?

Yes, I forgot, what about his linemates? Two young kids who have greatly benefited from his greatness last year. Coincidence that they're not performing as well this year? I think not! They're carrying a ball and chain on their line just like Plekanec carried two of them two years ago. Yes, Plekanec, the youngster, was struggling until he was finally freed of Samsonov and Kovalev only to become our best producing forward in the second half of that season! Last year? Kovalev played and that line became the team's first line, ahead of Koivu's. Coincidence? Think about it!

You know what I find the most frustrating about Kovalev lovers? It's the excuses, the number of times they hang on to straws to try to build their point. It's the rose glasses regarding his on-ice performances instead of seeing him for what he truly is!

Why was he given the "C"? Why does Carbo compliment him? Why are his teammates trying their best to defend him? I'll tell you why! They all tried the hard way two years ago, Carbo, Souray and company. Instead of picking up his socks, he pouted even more. So they're trying to motivate him through positive reinforcement and that's also not working!

Time to cut the ties and let the team be a TEAM.
Look at the bolded part. That tells me that you would probably NOT want him out of here if he performed like last year. The poster who got my attention was saying he would want Kovy out EVEN IF he scored 3 points per game and the team would (presumably) win like crazy.

Now, MY POINT is that it's simply not fair to expect 84 points every year from a $4.5M veteran player. A vet who scores 84 points every year earns in the $8-10M per year range.

I'm not making excuses for Kovalev. I'm trying to rationally evaluate the player and his performance. I can't be rational if I worship him like a God and I can't be rational if I hate him for NOT being a God.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Look at the bolded part. That tells me that you would probably NOT want him out of here if he performed like last year. The poster who got my attention was saying he would want Kovy out EVEN IF he scored 3 points per game and the team would (presumably) win like crazy.

Now, MY POINT is that it's simply not fair to expect 84 points every year from a $4.5M veteran player. A vet who scores 84 points every year earns in the $8-10M per year range.

I'm not making excuses for Kovalev. I'm trying to rationally evaluate the player and his performance. I can't be rational if I worship him like a God and I can't be rational if I hate him for NOT being a God.
Not that I disagree..but to be fair, he resigned 4years ago. Contracts were handled differently.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

I all fairness, I wanted him out of here last year as I knew that the odds were, based on his career, that he would tank again. I'm truly not a fan of players like him. There are tons of examples showing that he's a selfish player and I don't like players like him. I'll sacrifice some talent for hard work and dedication and before some (not you, I know) start comparing to Kostopoulos, I'm referring to guys like Ryan Smyth, Rod Brind'Amour (in his prime), Saku Koivu, Jamie Langenbrunner, Shane Doan and Brenden Morrow (just to name a few).

So the quote of the member you're referring to also matches what I think of Kovalev. No bandwagon, no hater per say, just a dislike for players who don't take their job with the seriousness that it deserves.

As for the salary comment, I could give you $4.5 million reasons why he should bust his butt every game.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Well..that's why it's called the PAST.

Not because it worked before that it'll automatically work again.
Last year, Kovalev got more than 50% of his pts on PP. This year, we had a struggling PP.
It was also the break out season of A.Kost, with Kovy as a linemate, it was good for him.

Things change, and it's time for A.Kost to be the go-to guy of his line and take a bigger role.

Oh I agree!!! Andrei is capable of being a Kovalev type player. He has a wicked shot, he can skate and he has incredible moves and I would LOVE to see him on another line, playing on the RW where he belongs....but people saying that Pleks and Andrei only had 3 shots because they were playing with Kovy is absured. We can't keep blaming everything on Kovalev when other players aren't bringing their "A" game.

But like I said....I agree...I would love to see Andrei playing RW with 2 other linemates.

I would love to see...Tanguay on the left side with Pleks and Kovy and Andrei on the right side with Higgins and Koivu.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:00 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post

Kovalev?
Once you look past the little bit of offence that Kostitsyn brings to the table , there really isn't very much to like about him as a player . He has matured into a one dimensional Petr Klima clone and until he commits to being a better player at both ends of the rink i'm afraid that's all he'll ever be .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
Once you look past the little bit of offence that Kostitsyn brings to the table , there really isn't very much to like about him as a player . He has matured into a one dimensional Petr Klima clone and until he commits to being a better player at both ends of the rink i'm afraid that's all he'll ever be .
strange way to talk about our best goal scorer who's only 24 and transforming into a 40 goals player.

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Actually, I was referring to your excuses comment...

Quote:
Andrei can't play with Kovalev , Andrei needs to play on the right side , Andrei needs more ice time , Andrei needs more PP. time , Andrei can't play with this guy or that guy , Andrei's linemates don't pass him the puck enough , trading Kovalev will help Andrei etc... , I don't recall ever seeing so many excuses being made for one player .

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:22 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I would love to see Andrei playing RW with 2 other linemates.

I would love to see...Tanguay on the left side with Pleks and Kovy and Andrei on the right side with Higgins and Koivu.
Patches, like Tanguay, is a very good playmaker too. I like playing him with top offensive guys.

So I would try this:

Tanguay-Pleks-Kovy
Patches-Koivu-AKost
Higgins-Lapierre-Dags
Tender-Begin-Kostop

Gorges-Markov
Brisebois-Hamrlik
Komisarek-Schneider

extras: Dandenault, Laraque, Stewart/SKost?
LTIR: Lang, Bouillon

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 05:23 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
strange way to talk about our best goal scorer who's only 24 and transforming into a 40 goals player.
Nothing strange about it . You're just not used to hearing the truth .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
the truth is, believe it or not is that people like you prefer sweet lokking dekes more than goals,and are ready to dump our best potential at wing since??? just because he still got some holes in his defensive game but that is 2355346x times more intense than Kovalev

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

There is no truth to what you say. You're just stating your opinion of Andrei....but you are wayyyy off!

If the Habs would let him play his natural position and get him away from Kovy so he can use his own creativity, Andrei would turn into a hell of a winger. He still has some developing to do and unlike a player like Latendresse, Andrei will have a decent upside once he develops....if he is given an honest chance.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote