HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The REAL source of the futility is the FANS

Old
02-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
And they're really good right now.....right?
Don't want to bring this too far off topic but the Knicks are currently in the first year of recovery after one of the worst management and coaching performances in the history of sports by Isiah Thomas. Donny Walsh basically just fleeced the Chicago Bulls and is coming really close to cleansing that organization of a lot of the horrible Thomas decisions. And their chance to make the playoffs right now is about even with the Rangers' chances.

In fact, Donnie Walsh is getting so good at erasing bad contracts and clearing cap space that I bet he'd have a better chance of ridding us of Redden than Sather does.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Don't want to bring this too far off topic but the Knicks are currently in the first year of recovery after one of the worst management and coaching performances in the history of sports by Isiah Thomas. Donny Walsh basically just fleeced the Chicago Bulls and is coming really close to cleansing that organization of a lot of the horrible Thomas decisions. And their chance to make the playoffs right now is about even with the Rangers' chances.

In fact, Donnie Walsh is getting so good at erasing bad contracts and clearing cap space that I bet he'd have a better chance of ridding us of Redden than Sather does.
lol ain't that the truth

Is it possible for Walsh to become the Rangers Gm?

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Bury Your Head

This thread is ridiculous. I should only watch my team when they're doing well? Hmm. So I need to be a Penguins fan?

Face it. People aren't going to stop cheering for the Rangers just because you say that we're the reason for their "futility". A true fan sticks around through the good times and the bad. Whatever path this team is heading down, I will be there to cheer them on. Just calm down and wait to see what happens in the next few weeks.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:48 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
It's like the economy; instead of wasting money on a gigantic pseudo-stimulus package that will end up weakening the dollar, and prolonging the problem, they, like Ranger fans, should NOT throw money at the problem, and let the market (and the team) correct itself.

Its a hockey team. People are fans for the "entertainment". Thats it. Some like to win , some like the gripe. Some love to see all the kids play, some would like to see an ALL Star roster. Some love to see every wonderful talent the team possesses, some want to whine about every bad game, every bad contract...All these things are different ways different people go about "Entertaining" themselves.

That includes spending too much time on some interwebs hockey forums

Yet again, we are entertained. Entertained by the team we love, love to hate, and each other.

02-21-2009, 10:55 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Its a hockey team. People are fans for the "entertainment". Thats it. Some like to win , some like the gripe. Some love to see all the kids play, some would like to see an ALL Star roster. Some love to see every wonderful talent the team possesses, some want to whine about every bad game, every bad contract...All these things are different ways different people go about "Entertaining" themselves.

That includes spending too much time on some interwebs hockey forums

Yet again, we are entertained. Entertained by the team we love, love to hate, and each other.
I appreciate you dissecting the psychology behind my post, but that certainly doesn't mean I'm wrong.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 10:57 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
This thread is ridiculous. I should only watch my team when they're doing well? Hmm. So I need to be a Penguins fan?

Face it. People aren't going to stop cheering for the Rangers just because you say that we're the reason for their "futility". A true fan sticks around through the good times and the bad. Whatever path this team is heading down, I will be there to cheer them on. Just calm down and wait to see what happens in the next few weeks.
I'm sorry if the whole point of this thread went over your head.

Old
02-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Nick00

Quote:

What?
At least read the argument before complaining about it.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:05 PM
SaveByLundqvist

Don't worry guys I got this ... I'll buy the Rangers from Dolan and fire Sather and Renney...Then I'll hire Mike Milbury as the GM and tell him to trade Staal and Lundqvist for Olag Kvasha and Mark Parrish. WOOOOOO!!!!!!! And Jim Ramsay will be my new head coach.

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:11 PM
NYRangerfn09

What a great idea, lets stop going to, watching and buying anything rangers. Hell, while we're at it lets not even think or talk about them as well, that will show him. You call yourself a ranger fan.

NYRangerfn09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
I'm sorry if the whole point of this thread went over your head.
No, it didn't go over my head. This thread is ridiculous. What do you suggest? That we boycott the team and hope that Sather loses his job? If you have a bone to pick with Sather's decisions over the past few offseasons, then whatever. But don't tell me that it's my ****ing fault that this team sucks right now. If I want to go to a game and cheer for the team, through thick and thin, then I will. I'm getting sick and tired of people whining SO damn much. You can't do anything about the team, so watch if you want and deal with it. Otherwise root for another team.

Old
02-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post

What?
At least read the argument before complaining about it.
I did read the argument, and it's stupid. Let ignore everything Rangers related hoping that eventually changes will be made. C'mon.

Old
02-21-2009, 11:20 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
I did read the argument, and it's stupid. Let ignore everything Rangers related hoping that eventually changes will be made. C'mon.
It's not so much an argument as it is FACT.

People are paying for a product, regardless of it's quality.

It's like going to the same store and buying spoiled milk every week, and every week you ask the clerk why the milk is spoiled.

I guess some people don't really understand economics.

As long as people support a bad product then high level changes will not be made...PERIOD.

Old
02-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:

It's the same as going to the same place to buy spoiled milk every week.

As long as people support a bad product then high level changes will not be made...PERIOD.
I understand your point. But what in the hell is the point of this thread?? What do you expect to gain out of stating the obvious? Nobody is going to stop watching, talking about, cheering for them, or going to games just because you can point out obvious points about paying for a crap product.

I guess some people don't really understand that nobody cares about these threads that are created just to ***** and moan anymore. Don't like what you're seeing out on the ice? Root for a different team.

Old
02-21-2009, 11:36 PM
GoNikolaiZherdevGo

People won't give up seats because once you do there is a huge waiting list ready to move in. Getting a fire sather chant from the whole arena at every home game could send a message. Or a dolan s*cks, or both.

GoNikolaiZherdevGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:37 PM
SaveByLundqvist

Quote:

It's like going to the same store and buying spoiled milk every week, and every week you ask the clerk why the milk is spoiled.

Well I think that if the team keeps getting worse fan support will diminish a tad, but were not talking about milk here were talking about hockey games its entertainment most people just watch games for fun so they will still watch it or go to games for the experience. Also you got die hard fans who will just support the team no matter what like the fans on theses boards.

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:42 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
Yeah, I've been saying this for years but people don't want to face it.
Fans spend $100 on a ticket, then go to the game wearing their $200 Lundqvist jersey and chant "Fire Sather!".
LOL
Ok?

So we can't be fans of the TEAM and TRADITION if we are chanting Fire Sather? Fans chant it because they want there TEAM to change for the better.

Shame on fans of the team for spending money to try to support the team, even in hard times where they want a GM/Coaching change.

But hey, when the Rangers play, turn your TV off, dont give Dolan the satisfaction of that tiny little % in the ratings..that will show him!

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:00 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

This thread =

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Kessick

Leafs fan here, I come in peace.

I felt compelled to respond to this thread because it is a criticism that has been widely leveled at Leafs fans over the years. I think it's inaccurate. The Rangers have always been one of the highest spending teams in the NHL, they are always targeting free agents, and even if they haven't delivered in terms of on-ice results, the desire to win is definitely there. I think the problem is mismanagement by Sather and co. Like the Leafs, I think your ownership wants to win, but they haven't figured out the best way to do it, and that means employing the best people to do the job. We went through this song-and-dance with John Ferguson, and big chances were made in spite of the fact we sell out every game.

Perhaps there is no urgency on behalf of ownership to make changes because you are a playoff team. It might take a season or two of missing the playoffs to bring in new blood. I believe ownership has the intention to win, but they haven't quite figured out the recipe for success. Not showing up at games won't lead to the firing of Sather and co. so long as you continue to have a modestly successful team on the ice.

That's just my perception as an outsider.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Ok?

So we can't be fans of the TEAM and TRADITION if we are chanting Fire Sather? Fans chant it because they want there TEAM to change for the better.

Shame on fans of the team for spending money to try to support the team, even in hard times where they want a GM/Coaching change.

But hey, when the Rangers play, turn your TV off, dont give Dolan the satisfaction of that tiny little % in the ratings..that will show him!
I said nothing about not being a fan.
You have to spend excessive amounts of money in order to be a real fan?
I guess that's America for you, where people are obsessed with buying things.

Limit the amount of money you give to this organization if you're dissatisfied with the way it's being handled.
That's all I'm saying.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:24 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
I understand your point. But what in the hell is the point of this thread?? What do you expect to gain out of stating the obvious? Nobody is going to stop watching, talking about, cheering for them, or going to games just because you can point out obvious points about paying for a crap product.

I guess some people don't really understand that nobody cares about these threads that are created just to ***** and moan anymore. Don't like what you're seeing out on the ice? Root for a different team.
One could argue that every single thread on here is stating the obvious. Oh and it's a MESSAGE BOARD....so...I mean, people can post things, right? People can dare to talk about things that may offend, or frustrate some, right? People can even state facts, and try to drill down and prove that people are, essentially contributing to the problem, right? People just don't like to admit that their continued financial support leads to the complacency of Dolan, and in turn mismanagement by Sather.

Maybe I should just create another 2nd-grade-esque post so people can insert their emoticons on move on with their lives. Seems to be the norm around here.

I'm not blaming or faulting fans for doing anything to support their team, nor am I suggesting a "boycott" of any kind. I'm simply dissecting the problem from an economic standpoint; the cause and effect of action and inaction.

I apologize for making anyone use their brains, or be the slightest bit contemplative. Insightful banter is so passe.

Last edited by KreiMeARiver*: 02-22-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old
02-22-2009, 12:26 AM
McMonster

To blame the fans for the Rangers suckage is just

Even is every fan agreed to boycott the Rangers, it would not make a difference due to the fact that there are so many corporate seats at the games. This is New York. No matter what, people will still go to games and buy merchandise. You can't just get everybody to boycott. It's impossible.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:30 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNikolaiZherdevGo View Post
Getting a fire sather chant from the whole arena at every home game could send a message. Or a dolan s*cks, or both.
Neither does ANYTHING to influence James Dolan.

Dolan: Hey Glen, so whats the deal. I'm reading in the papers the team is struggling? Are we going to make some playoff money or what?

Sather: Yea, we'll get a round ::: pause::: maybe two, but we have some roster issues that cant be fixed right away with this darn cap. We might have to wait till the Summer to fix a few things around the draft and July 1st

Dolan: Oh yea? Mmm Ok I get it. I miss that Czech guy who scored all the goals. What happened to him again?

Sather: He's playing in Russia :: pause:: There's no cap in Russia..

Dolan: They play hockey in Russia?

Sather: Yea. Niko Zherdev is from Russia

Dolan: Who?

Sather: We traded for him last summer...Ahhh nevermind. Listen, the team will be OK. I'm leaving for Baffin Island tomorrow. I'll be back on March 3rd to make some calls and see if we can get some press bumps

Dolan:
Wheres Baffin Island?

Sather: The Canadian Arctic. I'm going fishing for Narwhales

Dolan: DUDE, THATS AWESOME!

Sather: I know

Dolan: Well have a great time. We'll do The Palm when you get back

Sather: Sure thing

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Jersey Girl

I'm going to show my displeasure by not attending any of the playoff games that won't be taking place this year. That'll teach 'em.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

ok everyone trade in their season tickets (pre paid) now. Let me know how that goes.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:44 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
ok everyone trade in their season tickets (pre paid) now. Let me know how that goes.

Done! Oh damn they just informed me another fan on the waiting list bought my tickets....damn was that a waste!!

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote