HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islanders and Canadiens

Old
02-22-2009, 01:53 AM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
It's a moot point, because as it stands right now, I don't see any player willing to waive their NTC to join the Habs in the franchises current state. Perhaps Kaberle, but almost certainly not Guerin.
Yes because Guerin must be much happier on the islanders right? I dunno something about having a sniff at the playoffs within 5 years would probably change his tune.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Yes because Guerin must be much happier on the islanders right? I dunno something about having a sniff at the playoffs within 5 years would probably change his tune.
Actually, Guerin was in the playoffs the year before he came to the Island. And, not surprisingly, he seems to value stability for his family a tad more than another trip to the playoffs. So, it is unlikely to waive his NTC to go to Montreal (not that he'd help the Habs all that much anyway).

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 06:01 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
That said, why on earth would the Habs make this move?
Exactly all that needs to be said.

Habs wouldnt do this move.

02-22-2009, 06:02 AM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post
To The Canadiens: Guerin and Gervais

To Isles: Higgins

Note: Canadien Scouts have been following The Isles

Not sure of the Current Value of Higgins who has been rumored to have some problems this year.
Book it. This is a pretty fair trade.

JT 91 NYI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 06:14 AM
bones21212

is "book it" the catch phrase of the month, like "with that being said" or "having said that" was for the last two months?

it sucks being 45... i cant keep up with the teenagers lingo anymore.......

bones21212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 07:54 AM
bigdaddy23420

Higgins for Witt sounds like it might have some legs...I love Witt, but would help pack his bags to get the LI native here.

bigdaddy23420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 07:56 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post
To The Canadiens: Guerin and Gervais

To Isles: Higgins

Note: Canadien Scouts have been following The Isles

Not sure of the Current Value of Higgins who has been rumored to have some problems this year.
Montreal can get quite a bit more value for Higgins from a team like Minny. Not much in that deal for them. I don't see Islanders and Habs matching up very well in trade department

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Otto91

Canadien fans are asking why would they want any Islanders?

Let's examine! Kovalev has been rumored to be traded...not to The Isles but if they are going to deal him they will need a replacement. Days given off by The GM...The rumor The Habs are not going to resign Kovalev....sounds like a good enough reason why The Habs might consider a great leader like Guerin and trading Kove instead of losing him for nothing.

Next let's look at The Habs D! Guess what...There is a big problem coming very soon for the Habs on the blueline this summer! You only have 3 current roster players signed for the 09-10 season... Markov @5.75 Hamrlik @ 5.5 and Gorges @ 1Mill

So Your Old UFA D Like Brisebois @ 37yrs old, Schneider@ 39, Bouillon @ 32, Dandenault @ 32 most likely will not be signed back reason Being How do you expect to pay for Soon to be 26 yrs old UFA Komisarek?

So Are The Habs going to Trade Komi at The TRade deadline? What is that? NO? Well are The Habs Planning on Losing Komi in the summer to UFA for Nothing? Answer still NO? Well Guess what? Open up your wallet and Bend over cause It is going to cost The Habs no less Then 5.5 mill to 6.5 mill to sign the Guy! Good luck!

So you sign Komi...at let's say the low price of 5.5mill...now add the other 3 under contract That is 17.75 mill spent on 4 Dmen? Holy Crap! And you still are in need of 2 more NHL Dmen to make your 6

So are The Hab Fans saying That Bruno Gervais a French Canadien kid under contract for next year making under 800,000 is of no interest? A very Capable 23 year old playing a lot of minutes gaining experience and holding his own on The worst NHL team and The Habs have no interest?

Not sure What Is going to Happen to the Habs D next year...but it looks like The Habs D alone and we are talking just 6 players could cost the team a very possible 20 Million alone...forget about 2 goalies or 12 forwards added to that number. I know it is not my problem so why even worry about it now....but What is your GM thinking?

Perhaps Hamrlik gets shipped out just because of stories in the press...But if not What will The Habs D look like next year? And No The Isles aready Had Hamrlik and don't want him back.

Jokinen is Possible from The Yotes...... why would The Habs Need The Isles if they want Jokinen...well we did just pick up another 1st rd pick...Perhaps The Habs don't want to surrender Their #1 pick and would rather deal Higgins to The Isles For That Pick which is the Sharks pick with other players...and then flip That pick to the Yotes is a Very Possible idea.... No I am not the GM...will never claim to be....

But Where there is Smoke...Many scouts following a team as long as The Habs Scouts have been following The Isles...There most likely is some Fire.

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:57 AM
angry pirate

I think in terms of value it's a good deal for the habs, but I don't think it really addresses our needs.. If Higgins get's traded I think it'll be to bring in a center. Montreal desperately needs a center with Lang going down. (even prior to Lang going down we needed a legit #1 Center.)
As Far as D goes, Komi is going to be re-signed, and I think we re-sign Bouillon also. so really were only down a 3rd pairing defensemen and Henry or Weber will possibly be ready for that role full time next season.

Now it's another story if we Trade Markov to Tampa as part of a Vinny deal...

angry pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

The Habs budget has ample room to sign all their important UFAs, including Komisarek at a "fair market value" mega-contract of $5-6M or whatever. If management wants him at that price, and if he wants to stay in Montreal, then there is no impediment whatsoever to him returning. There is therefore no real financial incentive to trade him, and there is certainly no on-ice motivation to trade him. If anything, we still need another rock solid d-man to solidify things in our own zone. We can't afford to lose Komisarek.

Hence why adding Witt could be of interest. Except I don't really relish the idea of paying trade deadline prices for a guy like Witt. That's gotta be the worst buy-high time ever to try to trade for him.

I don't really see what our scouts would be interested in from the Isles, though. I guess Guerin and Gainey have some history?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:06 PM
angry pirate

I would guess they are looking at Weight. Plekanic has until the deadline to prove he's got what it takes to be the # 2 Center. Otherwise the habs go out and get someone to replace lang.

Old
02-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pirate View Post
I would guess they are looking at Weight. Plekanic has until the deadline to prove he's got what it takes to be the # 2 Center. Otherwise the habs go out and get someone to replace lang.
Interesting. What is Plekanec's value in Montreal right now? Is he still the cog he was last year (I know he's far off his stat pace)? Has he worn out his welcome?

Would the Habs deal him for Weight and Tambellini?

Dunno if the Isles would but he seems like a guy who should be a 25-30-55 guy for the most part.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:40 PM
angry pirate

Plekanec hasn't worn out his welcome, but if were going to make the playoffs/win a round or two were going to need either him to step up and produce more or else go out and get a center who will.
The only way we can afford to trade Plekanec is if we go out and get a legitimate #1 center. Otherwise if we traded him now, we'd be going into the offseason with Lapierre and Chipcurra as our only Centers. It's probably a given Koivu re-signs, but stranger things have happened.

Old
02-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Interesting. What is Plekanec's value in Montreal right now? Is he still the cog he was last year (I know he's far off his stat pace)? Has he worn out his welcome?

Would the Habs deal him for Weight and Tambellini?

Dunno if the Isles would but he seems like a guy who should be a 25-30-55 guy for the most part.
Probably nobody would be scouting Weight at the moment, right? And has Tambellini emerged as a guy who wouldn't clear waivers yet? The Habs wouldn't deal Plekanec for those two. But Plekanec could be dealt... the only problem again, is that he's probably at kind of a sell-low point in his market value, he's actually a better player than he has shown for the most part this year. He has been playing up to his ability in recent games, however, and probably the value of just keeping him and hoping that trend continues will be better than the return he'd bring on the trade market.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones21212 View Post
is "book it" the catch phrase of the month, like "with that being said" or "having said that" was for the last two months?

it sucks being 45... i cant keep up with the teenagers lingo anymore.......

Growing older beats the alternative!

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:26 PM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

What would it take for EDM to get Higgins???

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote