Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cardio / Hockey

02-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Airborne Troll*
vCash: 500
Cardio / Hockey

I know that when you play as a forward, you use your cardio a lot and get more endurant as time goes. But when you're a goalie, do you use your cardio a lot?

Thanks for answering

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
02-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Trance Boy View Post

I know that when you play as a forward, you use your cardio a lot and get more endurant as time goes. But when you're a goalie, do you use your cardio a lot?

Thanks for answering
I would imagine that they still get a pretty decent cardio workout depending on the amount of shots and the flow of the game... although it's probably nothing compared to what a skater goes through.

If your team is pinned in your end then you're probably moving around a lot to follow the puck. Likewise, if you're giving up a lot of rebounds you're forcing yourself (you won't BELIEVE what i wrote instead of forcing there) to recover quickly and move to stop the rebound.

I usually break a decent sweat when I play in net

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
02-21-2009, 11:11 PM

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
02-23-2009, 11:10 AM
It is a different workout... both can certainly raise your heart rate, but for a goalie there is also a lot of muscle use as well. It takes a lot of leg strength to get back up quickly from the ice, or to move across the crease while in butterfly; butterfly and hybrid goalies will be doing that a lot in a game.

Players do have a lot of load on their legs when accelerating, but it's certainly not equivalent to lifting their body weight (plus 50 lbs of gear!) Of course, during an attack a goalie might have to recover from butterfly only 1, 2, or 3 times; whereas a player is taking a lot more strides, which over time leads to a different kind of conditioning (high load low reps vs. low load high reps).

Another issue is how long goalies have to be in stance when the puck is in your zone (powerplays suck for this). Stand up right now, then get into a squat position with your thighs and calfs at a 110 degree angle. Feel the burn after a bit, now do that for 20-25 minutes in a game... more if your team sucks. Also remember that there's 50 lbs of gear on the goalie, and their legs are tensed/chambered to react to a shot.

And goalies sweat a *ton*... at least I do. Players get to skate around relatively naked and have a nice, cool breeze cool them off. Goalies, on the other hand, are under a ton of gear and just stand in one spot, steaming themselves to death. For goalies, hydration is especially important.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
02-23-2009, 11:54 AM
this is pretty much why I chose to go play shinny this year as a forward and not a goalie... might as well break a full sweat if I'm gonna haul my ass over there

it's a good lung trainer

plus I can leave the bench to go piss, whereas I'd have to piss myself as a goalie

spizzle420 is offline   Reply With Quote
02-23-2009, 12:57 PM
i mean sometimes yes. close game, lots of shots..

pcgflyers12* is offline   Reply With Quote
02-24-2009, 12:21 AM
I was just talking about this with a friend of mine who is a pretty darn good netminder. He said it's a ton of leg and lower back muscle endurance, at least for the butterfly.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote