HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

(#61): 2/22/2009 Toronto Maple Leafs @ New York Rangers 8:00pm MSG (HD)

Old
02-22-2009, 11:39 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Zipay calling out the fans for ruining the Bathgate/Howell ceremony. I didn't hear any boos on TV during the ceremony, did anyone else catch that?
i think zipay should relax..i was at the game..the only sad part was how it wasnt full for the ceremony other than that the crowd was really good ..the only time we booed was when rozi came out to hand the number 3 to howell...and as stated above barley anyone there got to see these guys play..its really the organizations fault for taking this long to retire the numbers...

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:39 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Zipay calling out the fans for ruining the Bathgate/Howell ceremony. I didn't hear any boos on TV during the ceremony, did anyone else catch that?
i think zipay should relax..i was at the game..the only sad part was how it wasnt full for the ceremony other than that the crowd was really good ..the only time we booed was when rozi came out to hand the number 3 to howell...and as stated above barley anyone there got to see these guys play..its really the organizations fault for taking this long to retire the numbers...

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:40 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I was at the game tonight, and we got a point. That's really all you can say. We probably didn't deserve it, and there is absolutely no way on earth that you should ever celebrate getting one ****ing point at home against the Maple Leafs on a night you're honoring Andy Bathgate and Harry Howell, but I guess my expectations for this team have taken a slight hit.

The ceremony was great. The team may be terrible, but they know how to throw a ceremony and I really enjoyed it. I learned alot about the two guys over the last few days and they are both total class acts. I'm glad I was able to be there for this ceremony and I thought it was great that all the retired players and some opponents (Makita, Kelly, Mahovlich) were there.

And I'm sorry, but the fact that the arena was half-empty for alot of the ceremony was a flat-out disgrace. I expected the booing of Rozsival during the jersey-changing moment and I expected the booing of Drury, Gomez and Naslund, but for people to not even show up for the ceremony is a joke. I don't care if people never saw them play - I never did - show a little respect. There are tons of people who would have wished to be there. There's no excuse, it's a Sunday evening. Just pathetic.

Great ceremony, but the game, as usual lately, was not enjoyable.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:43 PM
gravytrain6t

? for anyone at the game. Was there any "Fire Renney Chants?"

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:47 PM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
? for anyone at the game. Was there any "Fire Renney Chants?"
yeah...and fire sather ones as well...

and people yelling "lace em up!" referring to bathgate/howell...especially when their power play skills were mentioned.

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:54 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
And I'm sorry, but the fact that the arena was half-empty for alot of the ceremony was a flat-out disgrace. I expected the booing of Rozsival during the jersey-changing moment and I expected the booing of Drury, Gomez and Naslund, but for people to not even show up for the ceremony is a joke. I don't care if people never saw them play - I never did - show a little respect. There are tons of people who would have wished to be there. There's no excuse, it's a Sunday evening. Just pathetic.
Agreed. I anticipated the booing of those players because there are always a minority of fans who boo them, even if the players are doing well. I was just hoping that there was no mention of Dolan or Sather during the ceremony because that would have elicited a loud roar. As much as I hate Dolan & Sather, the ceremony is about Bathgate & Howell.

And I was extremely disappointed in the empty seats. Granted, the Academy Awards were tonight, but you expect to see a packed crowd during jersey retirements.

Zipay went a bit too far in his post though. The booing was embarrassing but it was only a smattering of fans. A lot of posters took it personally because the fans are frustrated and Zipay is calling them out, when he should probably be focusing on reporting what is going on in the locker room rather than bashing the fans.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:06 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan41 View Post
yeah...and fire sather ones as well...

and people yelling "lace em up!" referring to bathgate/howell...especially when their power play skills were mentioned.
lol. good.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:28 AM
jmb9191

just got home. starting to hate ranger fans. booing and screaming one second...dancing in the aisle the next after Rozsival ties it up.

not so much fun with the final result though.

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Jersey Girl

I didn't have a problem with Renney putting Betts out on the ice in the OT. He's one of our best skaters, he should be out there 4 on 4. Betts rarely takes lazy penalties like that, it's unfortunate he did it tonight.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:09 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I didn't have a problem with Renney putting Betts out on the ice in the OT. He's one of our best skaters, he should be out there 4 on 4. Betts rarely takes lazy penalties like that, it's unfortunate he did it tonight.
Are we trying to win in OT or are we trying to not get scored on? We all know Betts isnt scoring out OT winner.

I want a coach that wants to win. Please look refer to my sig..

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:10 AM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I know this might sound crazy...but I am having a harder time making it through 60 minutes of this team than I did for any team during the 7-year drought.
Exactly my thoughts.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:17 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
i got back from the game a while ago and once again im disapointed in a number of things. first off, im really, really disapointed in the fans of this organization. i realize that this ceremony shouldve happened years and years ago, but these two men are two of the greatest players to lace up their skates and put a rangers sweater on, and for them to have their jerseys retired in front of a half empty building is pathetic. ranger fans should be ashamed of themselves. im 19 years old and while i might be one of the more diehard fans (i have my own season tickets that i pay for out of my pocket), i grew up watching the 94 guys and i was still more excited for tonights ceremony then graves night because it honors a past that is forgotten way too much when it comes to this team. i really feel bad for mr. bathgate and mr. howell because they deserved a lot more and a lot better then that from the fans, i dont care how long ago they played. i know we are not montreal, but when they honored his jersey a few yeras ago the place was packed and he played a long time ago. anyways..

onto the game, this "team" we have now is just a waste of time, energy, and money. they are not fun to watch, they dont play with effort and they just flat out suck. ive had more fun watching the islanders lately then them.. you know the islanders suck but they at least try. theres no effort from this team. just anything and everything is wrong with them. firing renney is not going to be the magical solution, changes are needed everywhere and this team will not be good for a long time unless mistakes are somehow fixed. you need to get 2 of the big 4 contracts out of here, and sather needs to go. renney really isnt the problem, if youve been given crap, your guna produce crap. hes been given nothing. this team has no scorer, and hes forced to play a defensive style. but even his defensive players are terrible. now dont get me wrong, renney has made mistakes but he is not the reason this team is like this. hes not the only one who needs to go. hes capable of coaching in this league and winning, he was just given nothing

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:34 AM
jmb9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
i got back from the game a while ago and once again im disapointed in a number of things. first off, im really, really disapointed in the fans of this organization. i realize that this ceremony shouldve happened years and years ago, but these two men are two of the greatest players to lace up their skates and put a rangers sweater on, and for them to have their jerseys retired in front of a half empty building is pathetic. ranger fans should be ashamed of themselves. im 19 years old and while i might be one of the more diehard fans (i have my own season tickets that i pay for out of my pocket), i grew up watching the 94 guys and i was still more excited for tonights ceremony then graves night because it honors a past that is forgotten way too much when it comes to this team. i really feel bad for mr. bathgate and mr. howell because they deserved a lot more and a lot better then that from the fans, i dont care how long ago they played. i know we are not montreal, but when they honored his jersey a few yeras ago the place was packed and he played a long time ago. anyways..

onto the game, this "team" we have now is just a waste of time, energy, and money. they are not fun to watch, they dont play with effort and they just flat out suck. ive had more fun watching the islanders lately then them.. you know the islanders suck but they at least try. theres no effort from this team. just anything and everything is wrong with them. firing renney is not going to be the magical solution, changes are needed everywhere and this team will not be good for a long time unless mistakes are somehow fixed. you need to get 2 of the big 4 contracts out of here, and sather needs to go. renney really isnt the problem, if youve been given crap, your guna produce crap. hes been given nothing. this team has no scorer, and hes forced to play a defensive style. but even his defensive players are terrible. now dont get me wrong, renney has made mistakes but he is not the reason this team is like this. hes not the only one who needs to go. hes capable of coaching in this league and winning, he was just given nothing
this.

Old
02-23-2009, 01:39 AM
OverTheCap

Can they hire Herm Edwards to coach this team? "You play to win the game!"

Playing Betts in OT finally bit Renney in the ass tonight. Yes, he is a solid defensive player. Yes, he normally doesn't take penalties like that. But he has no business being out there during OT, especially against a last place team like Toronto that lacks a superstar forward. It's one thing if Kovy or OV was out there, but come on.

Karma's a *****, and the passive play that led to the Rangers barely winning games earlier in the season no longer works. If you play not to lose, you don't deserve to win. This team has no killer instinct and zero confidence. From the first period, it looked like they were going to lose. The team is mentally weak, and if nothing changes, I don't think they will make the playoffs.

Old
02-23-2009, 01:43 AM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Can they hire Herm Edwards to coach this team? "You play to win the game!"

Playing Betts in OT finally bit Renney in the ass tonight. Yes, he is a solid defensive player. Yes, he normally doesn't take penalties like that. But he has no business being out there during OT, especially against a last place team like Toronto that lacks a superstar forward. It's one thing if Kovy or OV was out there, but come on.

Karma's a *****, and the passive play that led to the Rangers barely winning games earlier in the season no longer works. If you play not to lose, you don't deserve to win. This team has no killer instinct and zero confidence. From the first period, it looked like they were going to lose. The team is mentally weak, and if nothing changes, I don't think they will make the playoffs.
how else are they supposed to play? NO ONE ON THIS TEAM CAN SCORE! THERE IS NOT ONE FRIGGEN GOAL SCORER ON THIS TEAM! renney has to play a style like that for this team to have any chance at winning, he was given absolutely nothing in terms of talent.

Old
02-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
...these two men are two of the greatest players to lace up their skates...im 19 years old and while i might be one of the more diehard fans...i grew up watching the 94 guys and i was still more excited for tonights ceremony then graves night because it honors a past that is forgotten way too much when it comes to this team. i really feel bad for mr. bathgate and mr. howell
Whatever your age, you should be commended for your respect for - and interest in - past greats. If only more younger fans had your curiosity about that which came before them.

Quote:
...firing renney is not going to be the magical solution, changes are needed everywhere...hes capable of coaching in this league and winning...
As an outsider looking in (closely) at NYR's situation, I agree, 100%. Renney has proven capable of producing repeated playoff teams. If he is fired, it is simply a matter of finding a scapegoat, to deflect the blame and to make some fans feel better for a few days. Useless, really.

The horses are not there to achieve meaningful success. Put more bluntly, there was more overall talent - and a much, much better "mix" - to work with the last couple of seasons.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:54 AM
jmb9191

Willie Randolph deserved to be fired. He didn't get the most of his players (Carlos Delgado)

Tom Renney does not deserved to be fired. His players suck.

Old
02-23-2009, 01:59 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
how else are they supposed to play? NO ONE ON THIS TEAM CAN SCORE! THERE IS NOT ONE FRIGGEN GOAL SCORER ON THIS TEAM! renney has to play a style like that for this team to have any chance at winning, he was given absolutely nothing in terms of talent.
There's a big difference between passive play and defensive play. I didn't criticize him for his defensive system, although it hasn't exactly been working lately. Being passive means that the Rangers are letting the other team dictate the play, are not being aggressive, and are not forechecking hard enough. Regardless of the lack of goalscorers on this team, there's no excuse for the Rangers to sit idly by after scoring a goal, as seen tonight immediately after Gomez scored.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:04 AM
trueblue9441

no, no, if drury doesnt make that mistake by trying to intercept that pass by being a little too aggressive, then that goal does not get scored

Old
02-23-2009, 02:33 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
no, no, if drury doesnt make that mistake by trying to intercept that pass by being a little too aggressive, then that goal does not get scored
Hey, if you're fine with the team sitting back in the defensive zone playing a 1-2-2 the whole game, that's OK with me. That hasn't exactly worked for the past 2 months. I agree that the players on this team are garbage, but I don't think they should be last in the league in goals scored. In a perfect world, Sather would be fired but that's not happening as long as Dolan is here. If Sather refuses to trade the overpaid players, we need a coach that can get the most out of this team. As of now, I'm not sure if Renney is that guy.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:45 AM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Hey, if you're fine with the team sitting back in the defensive zone playing a 1-2-2 the whole game, that's OK with me. That hasn't exactly worked for the past 2 months. I agree that the players on this team are garbage, but I don't think they should be last in the league in goals scored. In a perfect world, Sather would be fired but that's not happening as long as Dolan is here. If Sather refuses to trade the overpaid players, we need a coach that can get the most out of this team. As of now, I'm not sure if Renney is that guy.
look im not okay with it what so ever, but this team just does not have a scorer. it does not matter who the coach of this team will be because glen savior will never admit his mistakes and trade the overpaid or waive the overpaid players. never. like i said in an earlier post, idk if it was in this thread or another, but scotty bowman couldnt get this group to win right now, everything is wrong here and sather is to blame. renney is a good coach, but this crop of players he has been given are just role-players and support style players. this team isnt suited to play an aggressive style of forecheck in my eyes. the talent isnt there. would i be opposed to it right now? no of course not anything is better then whats happened the last 2 months, but this does not fall on renneys shoulders completely. its the man upstairs

Old
02-23-2009, 03:36 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

I think anyone who looks at this team objectively would realize the talent isn't there to be an elite team, but they should be better than this. But, placing blame on Renney alone is pretty absurd. Some of his moves are questionable, but you are blind if you don't see that some guys aren't giving what you would expect, and the offseason personnel moves have pretty much all backfired.

Renney doesn't "deserve" to be fired, most coaches don't. But the team needs a shake-up, and that is the easiest way to do it.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:47 AM
renodave

Quote:
Exactly how would the Rangers be able to trade the likes of Drury, Gomez or Redden? There would be exactly zero takers no matter how much the Rangers sweetened the pot with picks/prospects. All 3 of those players have prohibitive, unmoveable contracts. The only option for the Rangers are buyouts, but that only frees up about a 1/3 of their cap hit each - meaning the Rangers would be stuck with about a $4M cap hit for each of these players.

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:44 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by +73 View Post
ok, so you're logic is Renney-like in that you're putting the 11th/12th most likely forward to score out there in a key part of the game, gotcha.
He's playing for a shootout. Not my decision, nor am I saying it's the right one. But don't pretend that Blair Betts costed us this game.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I woke up today thinking I could find positives about this game after I slept off my anger.

I have not found any.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote