HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak to start on Tuesday

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Bretvincent

vCash: 500
Halak to start on Tuesday

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/269813.html

No surprise really since he is the only goalie who seems to be able to get some wins lately

Old
02-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Bacchus1

Good choice ... hopefully a little competition and rest will get Price's head back in the game.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Namso

he deserves to start...hopefully this wakes price up, otherwise we might have to go down the stretch with halak.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Turbo

Definitely deserves it and Price needs the time to work on his game.

That said, I hope Carbo manages his goaltenders well for the weekend back-to-back - each should play one game.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Jigger77

Sorry to go slightly OT, but someone mentionned a few days ago on here that you can't send Price to Hamilton due to certain restrictions (having to go through waivers I'm guessing).

Does anyone know exactly what that rule is about? thanks in advance.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:37 PM
LoonieDeals
HFBoards Sponsor

If he's not on a two-way contract, before sending him to the minors they have to put him on waivers.. Hopeing someone else doesn't claim him.

I'm guessing Price is not on a two-way contract (not sure).

Old
02-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
This is a no-brainer...and that's not a shot at Carbo.

I'm glad to see Jaro getting a chance. He's been by far the better goalie in the last few weeks and he deserves the opportunity to play right now.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:53 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Sorry to go slightly OT, but someone mentionned a few days ago on here that you can't send Price to Hamilton due to certain restrictions (having to go through waivers I'm guessing).

Does anyone know exactly what that rule is about? thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHabsFan View Post
If he's not on a two-way contract, before sending him to the minors they have to put him on waivers.. Hopeing someone else doesn't claim him.

I'm guessing Price is not on a two-way contract (not sure).
Two-way contracts have nothing to do with waiver exemptions...they have to do with how much salary a player makes when he's in the minors. Players on two-way contracts make less money in the minors than they do in the pros.

Waiver exemptions have to do with the age the player was when he signed his first contract, and how many NHL games he's played (the number is less for goalies, for obvious reasons). I can't find the table I used before but recently I checked to see if Price was waiver eligible and I believe he had 4 games left before he was eligible (and that was a couple of weeks ago so he's definitely passed his eligibility mark now).

Long story short, Price would have to clear waivers to play in the AHL now. If I'm not mistaken. I'm still trying to find that table so I can be 100% sure...

Old
02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
HotHabsFan*

oh great just like that went well last time he faced the Nucks !

15/02 Canadiens 2 Canucks 4

Old
02-23-2009, 03:04 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post

We can't beat the Canucks regardless of who's in net.

Old
02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
We can't beat the Canucks regardless of who's in net.
If we play like we did against Washington and Ottawa we'll give them a run for their money at home.

Thanks for the answer on the Price waiver thing btw. I'd like to get my hands on the actual rule as well.

Old
02-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Magic33

Good call, at this point we should ride Halak until he goes cold. We really dont have time to try and rebuild Price's confidence. Every win and loss matters right now.

Old
02-23-2009, 03:18 PM
sandman08

technically speaking.. cant price be sent down to on a conditioning stint (or couldnt he have been sent down) for a 2 week "loan" period or whatever (like gerber was with the sens although that situation was different, i guess a similar example would be briere)

Old
02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
technically speaking.. cant price be sent down to on a conditioning stint (or couldnt he have been sent down) for a 2 week "loan" period or whatever (like gerber was with the sens although that situation was different, i guess a similar example would be briere)
Only if he is coming back from a long injury.

Old
02-23-2009, 03:22 PM
dutchy29

Halak should be riding #1 spot until he has a bad game, and I don't mean a 3-2 loss. Price hasnt really had a good game aside from maybe the one vs. Washington in a long time, and I'm starting to wonder if hes ready for the pressure that comes with the position, I realize hes young but at 21 he might not be ready.

Old
02-23-2009, 03:23 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
Gerber was actually put on waivers and cleared so that's not exactly a comparable situation...and as was said, Briere was coming back from a long-term injury.

I'm not really sure what the rules are on sending a player to the AHL for a conditioning stint, and I'm not even sure if the NHL knows to be honest. I'd like to find out for sure though.

In any event, I don't think we could get away with it for Price, especially since he hasn't been on injured reserve or anything. I wonder if we could've done it back before he came back, before the All-Star break...hmm..

Old
02-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Jigger77

The danger being now of course that he rides the pine until the end of the season.

I'm not a goaltender but if you ask me Price is in a situation he can't practice his way out of. He needs to play. And Hamilton might be the best place to do this given the playoff battle we're in.

If you can't send him down though I guess he'll have to sit until Halak has a bad game.

Old
02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Gerber was actually put on waivers and cleared so that's not exactly a comparable situation...and as was said, Briere was coming back from a long-term injury.

I'm not really sure what the rules are on sending a player to the AHL for a conditioning stint, and I'm not even sure if the NHL knows to be honest. I'd like to find out for sure though.

In any event, I don't think we could get away with it for Price, especially since he hasn't been on injured reserve or anything. I wonder if we could've done it back before he came back, before the All-Star break...hmm..
ahhh my bad.. i thought he was originally sent down for a 2 week conditioning stint (with the idea being to put him on waivers and what not but originally it was just a 2 week thing)

i was actually thinking about having price go down around the allstar game actually when i even thought of it (but it'd make more sense for him to go down now)

Old
02-23-2009, 03:49 PM
la25ecoupe

Players better stay away from Halak!!

Old
02-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
The danger being now of course that he rides the pine until the end of the season.

I'm not a goaltender but if you ask me Price is in a situation he can't practice his way out of. He needs to play. And Hamilton might be the best place to do this given the playoff battle we're in.

If you can't send him down though I guess he'll have to sit until Halak has a bad game.
I don't know about him playing out of it. I think he needs some time to watch from the bench and realize what he's giving up with his piss poor work ethic.

This kid has been given every chance to succeed and I'm getting sick of it. He was handed the starters job last spring without truly winning it and it's been that way since.

I just wish Halak was a bit of a better goalie and string some steady games together to force the management to make Price ride the pine until golden boy is ready to fight for the position.

Old
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
I don't know about him playing out of it. I think he needs some time to watch from the bench and realize what he's giving up with his piss poor work ethic.

This kid has been given every chance to succeed and I'm getting sick of it. He was handed the starters job last spring without truly winning it and it's been that way since.

I just wish Halak was a bit of a better goalie and string some steady games together to force the management to make Price ride the pine until golden boy is ready to fight for the position.
I have a hard time with that, saying that Price was given the number 1 spot without earning it. Price bailed the team out last year when they hit a slump and Huet went down. Then he had a few bad games when Huet came back and was sent to the AHL. He came back and dominated the last stretch of the year when Huet was traded.

Halak bailed the team out as well the previous year. He's a great goalie, but I don't feel like Price stole his spot.

That being said, I have no problem riding the hottest goalie. That's the option the Habs have, two young but good goaltenders since youth usually means lots of ups and downs.

Old
02-23-2009, 04:02 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
Halak should be riding #1 spot until he has a bad game, and I don't mean a 3-2 loss. Price hasnt really had a good game aside from maybe the one vs. Washington in a long time, and I'm starting to wonder if hes ready for the pressure that comes with the position, I realize hes young but at 21 he might not be ready.
The last time Price played very well was against Pittsburgh I believe, hes in quite the slump.

Old
02-23-2009, 04:05 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
The last time Price played very well was against Pittsburgh I believe, hes in quite the slump.
I would try to give Price at least one start before the trade deadline. If he still sucks, they could send him to hamilton and acquire a vet goalie like Legace to back up Halak for a while - if not the rest of the season.

Old
02-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
he played horrible against pittsburgh. 5 goals, with about 2 or 3 weak ones.

Old
02-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post

Yup cause that game was really Halak fault,it would have been allot worse with Price in nets the way he was playing

Closed Thread