HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Angle shooting advice

Old
02-19-2009, 11:19 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Angle shooting advice

So I'm a lefty shooter and I'm an intermediate to advanced player needing some angle advice. When I come down on the off wing, I have a fairly easy idea, slightly cut to the left toward the slot, get the goalie cheating across and hit the near side (right side) but what do I do from a tough angle on the left side? I like the deke in and use a backhand in close but I can't go through two defenseman and if I try the same move on the left side as the right side, the goalie doesn't seem to give me as much space, and I can't shoot as well that way. Ideas?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:23 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

If you have no chance to shoot, don't. Keep skating and take it behind the net, and try to make a play with another guy coming in. Or pass off the rush, there should be a guy coming in a bit behind you and on the other side or down the center.

Another option is to pull up on the play, letting the D continue deep while you stop and cut into the slot to take your shot, or make a pass, doing that usually gives you a good bit more room.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 11:40 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
If you have no chance to shoot, don't. Keep skating and take it behind the net, and try to make a play with another guy coming in. Or pass off the rush, there should be a guy coming in a bit behind you and on the other side or down the center.

Another option is to pull up on the play, letting the D continue deep while you stop and cut into the slot to take your shot, or make a pass, doing that usually gives you a good bit more room.
So obvious but ingenious. How did I forget the stop and pop? I've been thinking too much about deking to get good angles!

Old
02-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Tinkeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
So I'm a lefty shooter and I'm an intermediate to advanced player needing some angle advice. When I come down on the off wing, I have a fairly easy idea, slightly cut to the left toward the slot, get the goalie cheating across and hit the near side (right side) but what do I do from a tough angle on the left side? I like the deke in and use a backhand in close but I can't go through two defenseman and if I try the same move on the left side as the right side, the goalie doesn't seem to give me as much space, and I can't shoot as well that way. Ideas?
Here are the options I see:

-If the defender doesn't have enough speed, drive wide around him and then make a close range move

-Cut to the middle and then shoot against the grain, like you mentioned

-Use the defender as a screen and shoot through him (This should be the go-to move anytime the defender backs down close to the circles.)

-If you're driving wide -- not on the off-wing -- the only shot on a solid goalie is really short-side top corner, which is still low percentage.

-Passing is the best option a lot of times too.

Tinkeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 11:19 PM
backhander

Quote:

good call...it is easy to want to shoot or let the puck go...take control...if u have pressure wait for support...its easy to rush the play...i do at times...its not about shooting every time...use your teammates

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:12 PM
sbkbghockey

It's already been said, you can use the D as a screen and shoot through them, or you can take it around the back of the net for a pass to a helper (or a wrap around chance if your quick enough).

You can also start going wide, (like your going around the net and dish a pass into the shot if you have help.

I practice shooting from along the goal line and ususally with a D comming down on me. It's been a big help to sniping the top left corner.

remember, it's always good to pass and even if you can't shoot you at least got the puck deep into the offensive zone

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:20 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
I always soot the pad and try to plan the rebound to my backhand which usually buys me time if nothing else.
best result: I get a back hand shot 14 inches high.
normally: takes a D-man off me and lets me move the puck to someone who can shoot in the slot.
Wost case: one of the two defenders get the puck and run into my guys on their way in.

As for angle shooting stick and puck with a bucket of pucks. shoot one side all day, the next day shoot the other. that is all mussel memory and target shooting.

I try to play my handicaps (and do I have many).

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:40 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:

I'd like to add... If you're stuck going to the outside, the Gretzky turn. Turn towards the boards, everyone catches up, find the pass. Gretzky normally used the turn just inside the blueline but this works pretty much anywhere near the boards.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 11:02 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I've seen some good ideas here. I've been finding my way to the boards and trying to play behind the net or taking a hard angle shot and going for a rebound if I'm 1 on 2. I can usually get past one defender but not both of them, so why turn it over and create an odd man rush?

Old
02-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Ok, so let talk about this for a few minutes. You shot left and you enter the zone on your off wing. Let me say that this is the way to do it. Why? If you shot left and you enter on the right wing, the puck will be to the out side and your body will be between the puck and the defensemen. This is what is know as puck protection.

How check out this picture below.

Notice this blue area. This is called the Shooting Zone. This is the area where you will have the highest percentage of scoring goals. The yellow are are low percentage areas where you can score goals.

This white area is known as a "Shooting Alley". If you come in on your off wing and go down the shooting alley into the slot area, your body is at a 45 degree angle to the goalie on approach. This means that you shot will have maximum leverage in the shot due to the full swing as you stick travels across your body towards the net.

Now, if you are coming in on your "on" wing, in order to take full advantage of the leverage behind your forehand shot, you will have a very small window to take advantage of this shot.

Check out this picture below.

Notice that your lauch pad is still within the "Shooting Zone". But in order for you to take advantage of your forehand shot, this is the area that you will need to get the shot off to take advantage of the angle on the goalie.

Now, you can always move into the center ice, once you cross the blue line and have your winger crash the net in order to have him draw in the defensemen, so you would have a better chance at getting into the slot for the shot.

If the defensemen doesn't fall for the attacking winger and he starts to approach you, they you can feed the winger crashing the net with a pass.

By the way, in the first picture, you see a green area behind the net. This is called the pressure zone. This is the area where you want the puck to be when you are in the attacking zone. Well, besides in the net! But if the goalie makes the save and you are trying to regroup, placing it into the pressure zone allows maximum pressure on the defending goalie. Why?

Because it forces the goalie to act like his head is on a swivel. He has to worry about the puck in this zone and worry about the open guy out front.

If you can set up behind the net and then get the pass out to the guy in the slot, you have a better chance at making the goalie do extra work and the pucks going to go in.

If the puck move out of the pressure zone towards the point, the pressure is reduced because the goalie will have a better chance of seeing the full zone. Plus, as the puck head out away from the pressure zone, it is easier to just poke check into the neutral zone and then the attacking team has to regroup.

Here check this out! The next time you see an NHL game, count the number of times players push the puck back into this pressure zone. See how many times, players will force the puck into that zone.

Hope this helps!
Head coach