HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gagne Upset at League's GMs

Old
03-11-2009, 07:05 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Gagne Upset at League's GMs

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...005&feedID=695
Quote:

Simon Gagne doesn’t get angry very often, but as someone who missed 56 games last season because of a blow to the head and subsequent concussion, he’s feels very strongly about head hunting in the NHL.

Which is why Gagne was angry at league general managers for failing to implement stiff penalties for flagrant head shots at this week’s meetings in Naples, Fla.

A survey conducted by the NHL Players Association showed that 75 percent of the players want head shots addressed, according to executive director Paul Kelly.

“Paul Kelly came out and said three-quarters of the players want the league to do something, it’s us playing and not them, and it’s easy to watch the game from upstairs,” Gagne said. “Players see something is wrong with it. We asked for them to do something and they don’t want to do it.

“It’s too bad for them. I don’t understand it. If 75 percent of the players think something needs to be [done] on head shots, and it’s getting worse and worse every season, and right now they are there talking about fighting. If you take that way, you’ll see even more dirty head shots.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:18 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I certainly understand his frustration. He said almost the same thing after the Kovalev elbow to his head. From earlier this year

Quote:
"We have to do something to stop these hits," Gagne said. "And right now I'm ready to be that guy. I'll talk to the league, to anybody."

Gagne wants answers and he is going to get them himself from the NHL offices who said there will be no action against the hit.

"It's not going to come from the NHL, it's not going to come from teams, it's got to come from the players," Gagne added last night. "If you let those hits happen and players see that on TV, that's going to be a no-brainer and they are going to do it again.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Norm MacDonald

vCash: 500
Cue "pot calling the kettle black" posts from idiot fans of other teams...

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:29 PM
LyNX27

(Other Teams fan) Agreed. Totally flagrant and quite possibly career ending. We like to see our players hit hard and such, but I would never wish permanent injury to any player, especially something to the head. they should atleast make it a game misconduct if they deem it to be intentional and an extra 2 minutes for accidental. Players should be enforced to keep it low and use shoulders to make Shoulder to SHOULDER contact.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
About Gagne? I would love to see someone talk bad about Gags.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:31 PM
John Torturella

If 75% of the players don't like the head shots, stop the head shots. You dont think the leaders on NHL teams have any pull on their teammates? It really makes no sense. If 75% are against the head shots, how does the problem get worse? Its seems contradictory to me. Players can police themselves, especially if the majority of them are against it.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Miss Mess

I don't understand why they aren't even trying to do something about this, when 75% of the league's players are concerned about it....

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:33 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
If 75% of the players don't like the head shots, stop the head shots. You dont think the leaders on NHL teams have any pull on their teammates? It really makes no sense. If 75% are against the head shots, how does the problem get worse? Its seems contradictory to me. Players can police themselves, especially if the majority of them are against it.
+1 end-o-thread

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
So you think leaders on each team are going to step up and say something to their own teammates? Theyre supposed to go tell their rough guys to stop hitting high while guys are still taking runs at them? Thats not going to happen.

Thats like saying if 75% of MLB players say they are against steroids that it shouldnt be a problem because team leaders should tell their roided up stars to stop juicing. Juicing gives a team an advantage, just like head hunting can when players are afraid to go into corners with certain players.

If you think captains of teams are sucessfully going to go to 3rd and 4th liners and tell them to stop hitting high your nuts. Those guys get paid to be physical and if they arent going to crack down on headshots why would they stop doing it? Theyre going to feel like "this is what I get paid for. I get into players heads, I intimidate them and I'm physical. If i dont do this Ill be out of the league and why should I stop when Im not getting called for it?".

Last edited by Juicy Couturier*: 03-11-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old
03-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
If only it were that simple

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 07:52 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Thats like saying if 75% of MLB players say they are against steroids that it shouldnt be a problem because team leaders should tell their roided up stars to stop juicing. Juicing gives a team an advantage, just like head hunting can when players are afraid to go into corners with certain players.
Perfect analogy.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 08:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I certainly understand his frustration. He said almost the same thing after the Kovalev elbow to his head. From earlier this year
I think the hit he's more referring to is the elbow that he got from Karel Rachunek that effectively ended his season - and never really had to answer for it because Karel Rachunek isn't going to fight. He came back strong before that game, and after that he was about one level above a corpse and mysteriously got sick in the middle of a game in Pittsburgh, confirming that he had been playing with a concussion.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 08:20 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Roberts and Jbo elbowed him last year too and J Staal got him once

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 08:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

They did, but it was that game where it turned around where Gagne was not the same player anymore.

Old
03-11-2009, 09:43 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I think the hit he's more referring to is the elbow that he got from Karel Rachunek that effectively ended his season - and never really had to answer for it because Karel Rachunek isn't going to fight. He came back strong before that game, and after that he was about one level above a corpse and mysteriously got sick in the middle of a game in Pittsburgh, confirming that he had been playing with a concussion.
Quote:
"He hit me pretty hard right to the head, and after what happened last year I was concerned. Until I was going to play [last night] I didn't know what to expect. I was nervous coming here."
From later in the article. Anyway, he obviously wants it out of the game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...alexei-kovalev

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 09:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I was talking about the original premise. Not the hit by Kovalev.

Old
03-11-2009, 10:18 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

So if a player comes across the blue line with his head down give him a free pass? Or is it respect we're after when coming in from behind the player when his back is turned? WHen does it become the players responsibility to keep his head up or not turn his back to the hit? Next it'll be such a solid shoulder in the chest the player falls, hits his head on the ice and checking is removed altogether. It should be only the high deliberate headhunting that needs to be addressed, which is silly, because penalties should be assessed when there is an intent to injure anyway. Way i see it these hits are a byproduct of the instigator rule and the "new" NHLs love affair with a speedier more fast paced game.

Thoughts?

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:26 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
It's not just other teams who have inconsistent fans. Remember this? Remember when what appears below was just "tough hard-nosed hockey"?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
So if a player comes across the blue line with his head down give him a free pass? Or is it respect we're after when coming in from behind the player when his back is turned? WHen does it become the players responsibility to keep his head up or not turn his back to the hit? Next it'll be such a solid shoulder in the chest the player falls, hits his head on the ice and checking is removed altogether. It should be only the high deliberate headhunting that needs to be addressed, which is silly, because penalties should be assessed when there is an intent to injure anyway. Way i see it these hits are a byproduct of the instigator rule and the "new" NHLs love affair with a speedier more fast paced game.

Thoughts?
It doesnt matter if a player has his head down, you cant just go after a players head. I see what your saying but they are talking about the deliberate hits to the head, not when a guy ducks or whatever. They mean when a guy instead of keeping his shoulder level he either jumps or raises his shoulder or even elbow in an attempt to hit a players head to cause more damage. I dont think hits to the head have anythign to do with a faster game. It could be self enforced somewhat if the instigator rule was removed but at the same time, until the ref start handing out majors and the league hits them with suspensions players are going to continue to hit high and often because...well, why not? For a lot of these guys its their job to go out and intimidate and cause trouble, and they wont stop until its enforced.

Old
03-11-2009, 10:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post

Thoughts?
Yeah, that's kind of the way it's going. It will get to be hockey like it's played on Saturday mornings with 6-year olds.

Old
03-11-2009, 10:29 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
I don't understand why they aren't even trying to do something about this, when 75% of the league's players are concerned about it....
not to mention 95% of the fans

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:30 PM
UseYourAllusion

I still say removal of the instigator rule will do a far better job of enforcing headhunters than any sort of new rule would. Especially a rule which asks refs to make subjective calls.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I still say removal of the instigator rule will do a far better job of enforcing headhunters than any sort of new rule would. Especially a rule which asks refs to make subjective calls.
I think it would too, but that's not going to happen. Not anytime soon anyways.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:47 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
It doesnt matter if a player has his head down, you cant just go after a players head. I see what your saying but they are talking about the deliberate hits to the head, not when a guy ducks or whatever. They mean when a guy instead of keeping his shoulder level he either jumps or raises his shoulder or even elbow in an attempt to hit a players head to cause more damage. I dont think hits to the head have anythign to do with a faster game. It could be self enforced somewhat if the instigator rule was removed but at the same time, until the ref start handing out majors and the league hits them with suspensions players are going to continue to hit high and often because...well, why not? For a lot of these guys its their job to go out and intimidate and cause trouble, and they wont stop until its enforced.
Agree 100% with your last point. Short of removing the instigator, what more can you do? They have charging, elbowing and leaving your feet penalties. The speed of the game doesn't create more hitting, but rather amplifies the damage of a hit. Ok this hurts, but do you really think that Stevens should have let up on Lindros? Remove instigator, make players accountable (head up, not turning to a hit then bending over) and consistant reffin that ought to do it.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I think it would too, but that's not going to happen. Not anytime soon anyways.
Agreed. I think if they knew how bad cheap shots would get by putting the instigator rule in place I think they would have never done it. BUT, its easier to look back on a mistake and know you screwed up than it is to take it back. If they took away the instigator rule it would look like to the average fan and people who dont know the game that they are actually in favor of fighting and that they want MORE of it, which is why I feel the instigator rule is here to stay for a while.