HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nikolai Khabibulin to PHI

Old
02-22-2009, 02:45 PM
mercury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzHockey View Post
Exactly he is a PPG player not a 100 point per season player. He contract is atrocious and he is locked up for 4 more years. He will be 32 at the start of next season and has been injured all season. He is probably on the decline of his career. Fact is he is a salary dump and if the Flyers could find someone to take that joke of a contract the would dump him in a heartbeat.
You are so epically wrong, it's amazing. You should stop posting.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:48 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath View Post
From chicago's standpoint its obvious that philly needs a goalie and would love habby

but question is.. what can chicago get in return?

Khabibulin for ??

and a second question
or is there a package that chicago could put together to get Claude Giroux? nikolai khabibulin and barker for giroux??
For Cap reasons Briere would have to go the other way.

richardn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
Except Khabibulin has better numbers this year than Huet did, has significantly more experience in the playoffs and has a cup ring. I think from my point of view Khabibulin is worth a late first (23-30 territory)
All true - but it wasn't like there's a huge difference (think they're fairly comparable) between how Huet played for the Habs that season and how Khabibulin played for the Hawks this season (not to mention Huet played more games at this point last season than Khabibulin). Sure Huet doesn't have a "ring" but it's not like he stunk the joint out in his only playoff series appearance (before the trade). Plus, it's likely a team taking on Khabibulin will have to shed some salary (not the case with Huet).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 02:56 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
For Cap reasons Briere would have to go the other way.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:05 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
You explain to me how Philly fits in his 6.75 million dollar cap hit with out moving Briere.

Briere is who Chicago would want. Philly doesn not need him and have proven it all year. Philly needs that cap space going forward. Knahibulin is a world class goalie having a good year and he has won the stanley cup. Philly would be foolish not to consider.

Old
02-22-2009, 03:08 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
No! Wow! No, We are not giving away Barker!

I think Philly is the perfect fit for Khabibulin but we need a C and Philly doesn't have that to spare. I have tried 2 3 team trades that get Hawks a C but with the playoff races the way they are it is hard to figure which teams will sell
Daniel Briere is a center who Philly could part with. He's been gone all year and look at their record.

Salary wise they have almost the same cap hit so it would be a great swap for both teams. Chicago get their center and Philly gets their goalie.

Only problem is would Briere waive his no trade clause?

Old
02-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
If we had that kind of cap space wed just sign Backstrom in the offseason and trade for him now. The market for goalies is low, the market for an old back up goalie UFA to be is no very much at all.

Not saying the Bulin has huge value, but you're way off base. Bulin has been absolutely outstanding this year, and in no way is a back-up. He'd be a huge upgrade to Biron/'maki.

Also, assuming that Backstrom will be available this offseason is extremely optimistic IMO as it's highly likely that MINN will do everything they can to resign him. And if they don't, not sure if the Flyers would have the cap space to get him signed. Then add in that Backstrom won't help the Flyers in the play-off's this year, and he's not an immediate solution.

IMO, the Flyers need an upgrade in net if they to be a serious competitor for the Stanley Cup. They definetely have enough firepower to have a "punchers chance" now, but if they could land Bulin (or Backstrom if MINN would move him - which I can't believe) they'd be at least even with BOS/WAS. Of course - that's just my opinion - and it's Holmgren's that matters.

Bulin would be available a lot cheaper than Backstrom. The Hawks would be looking for a top 6 forward (preferably a center). If that's not available - they'll hold onto Bulin and see what happens in the P/O's. It's definetely not worth it to move him for a suspect & a 2nd round DP or marginal d-man (Jones).

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Daniel Briere is a center who Philly could part with. He's been gone all year and look at their record.

Salary wise they have almost the same cap hit so it would be a great swap for both teams. Chicago get their center and Philly gets their goalie.

Only problem is would Briere waive his no trade clause?
There is NO WAY that the Hawks take on Briere's contract. The long term cap implications would require the Hawks to lose at least one of Toews, Kane or Keith, which is obviously a deal breaker.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
You explain to me how Philly fits in his 6.75 million dollar cap hit with out moving Briere.

Briere is who Chicago would want. Philly doesn not need him and have proven it all year. Philly needs that cap space going forward. Knahibulin is a world class goalie having a good year and he has won the stanley cup. Philly would be foolish not to consider.
Wait for the playoffs, and we'll see if the Flyers really "don't need Briere"

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:28 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
They aren't going very far with Biron now matter how well he does. Philly has plenty of fire power with out Briere. Bulin is a proven playoff goalie having a very good year. Philly would be stupid not to do this move.

Old
02-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
To Chicago:

Martin Biron
Joffrey Lupul
Randy Jones

Chicago gets Lupul who is on pace for 50 points and could be a nice complement in its top six. Lupul's extension kicks in next season, but given the Flyers' depth up front, they could probably afford to part with him in a package for a goalie. Jones and Biron are salary dumps, basically.

To Philadelphia:

Nikolai Khabibulin
James Wisniewski

Wisniewski is an RFA defenseman who would be a cheap and, most likely, better replacement for Jones. It wouldn't make sense for Chicago to give up a forward in exchange for a forward, and they wouldn't get Lupul for only Khabibulin, so Wisniewski seems like a decent asset to make the deal worthwhile. Holmgren only does this deal if he feels confident that he can resign Khabibulin, though.

Thoughts? I didn't do the math exactly but I think the cap numbers work out.

Cartered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbphilly View Post
To Chicago:

Martin Biron
Joffrey Lupul
Randy Jones

Chicago gets Lupul who is on pace for 50 points and could be a nice complement in its top six. Lupul's extension kicks in next season, but given the Flyers' depth up front, they could probably afford to part with him in a package for a goalie. Jones and Biron are salary dumps, basically.

To Philadelphia:

Nikolai Khabibulin
James Wisniewski

Wisniewski is an RFA defenseman who would be a cheap and, most likely, better replacement for Jones. It wouldn't make sense for Chicago to give up a forward in exchange for a forward, and they wouldn't get Lupul for only Khabibulin, so Wisniewski seems like a decent asset to make the deal worthwhile. Holmgren only does this deal if he feels confident that he can resign Khabibulin, though.

Chicago can't take on Lupul's contract, he's earning too much and for too long for Chicago to consider it. Also i'm pretty sure Chicago doesn't have the cap space for it to work this year.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzHockey View Post
Exactly he is a PPG player not a 100 point per season player. He contract is atrocious and he is locked up for 4 more years. He will be 32 at the start of next season and has been injured all season. He is probably on the decline of his career. Fact is he is a salary dump and if the Flyers could find someone to take that joke of a contract the would dump him in a heartbeat.
6 more years

I think his contract is bad in terms of the years committed, but I think he is fairly paid for a player with his offense. I would definitely dump his contract though because they need more money to upgrade defense and goaltending.

Quote:
They don't need him if it allows him to upgrade the defense or goaltending.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
4,250,000 per year for four seasons, starting next season. It's a big contract, but Lupul is still young, and it's not like he can't produce/hasn't produced in the past. Chicago wants a forward, and the only guys I could see us moving are Lupul or Hartnell.

Cartered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Mike Richards 18

Quote:
4,250,000 per year for four seasons, starting next season. It's a big contract, but Lupul is still young, and it's not like he can't produce/hasn't produced in the past. Chicago wants a forward, and the only guys I could see us moving are Lupul.
Hartnell is not even up for discussion why do people not realize that. especially Flyers fans.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post

They don't need him if it allows him to upgrade the defense or goaltending.

Why? They don't even use their best players properly as it is on defense. This team is better with Briere than it is with James Wisniewski.

Old
02-22-2009, 03:48 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:

Jones, Metro, Vannanen, Lupul, Carle all would go long before Briere does. Cap space can be made, you don't trade away one of the best playoff performers in the league for cap space.

I don't get how you don't understand that Briere has a NMC with Philly, and he's not going to leave the Flyers midseason. Especially since if he were to be traded at the deadline, he would JUST be coming off of his injury. What team would want a player coming off an injury...it just doesn't happen.

Furthermore, its not worth giving up a half decade of Briere for 2 months of Khabibulin...just doesn't make sense.

Old
02-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Richter35

Quote:
4,250,000 per year for four seasons, starting next season. It's a big contract, but Lupul is still young, and it's not like he can't produce/hasn't produced in the past. Chicago wants a forward, and the only guys I could see us moving are Lupul or Hartnell.
not to mention the fact that havlat comes off the books and probably won't be re-signed for cheap. while im not saying that lupul is better, he's a good alternative and probably a safe bet to score at least 30 goals alongside toews/kane. I think chicago likes wizniewski alot though, so i'd revise it to this:

khabi
sopel

for

lupul
jones
biron

since jones is still signed for next season it makes more sense cap-wise for chicago next year. biron backs up huet for this years playoff drive.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Why? They don't even use their best players properly as it is on defense. This team is better with Briere than it is with James Wisniewski.
Just because Stevens is an idiot doesn't mean an upgrade isn't needed. We have too much locked up on forwards and Briere has the worst contract of all.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:07 PM
richardn

Quote:
To Chicago:

Martin Biron
Joffrey Lupul
Randy Jones

To Philadelphia:

Nikolai Khabibulin
James Wisniewski

Philly needs a center. This deal only benifits Philly. Why would Chicago take on a salary dump so the fylers could have Bulin. Chicago doesn't need Biron.

Old
02-22-2009, 04:08 PM
richardn

Quote:
Jones, Metro, Vannanen, Lupul, Carle all would go long before Briere does. Cap space can be made, you don't trade away one of the best playoff performers in the league for cap space.

I don't get how you don't understand that Briere has a NMC with Philly, and he's not going to leave the Flyers midseason. Especially since if he were to be traded at the deadline, he would JUST be coming off of his injury. What team would want a player coming off an injury...it just doesn't happen.

Furthermore, its not worth giving up a half decade of Briere for 2 months of Khabibulin...just doesn't make sense.
Chicago doesn't want to trade one of the best goalies in the league for some spare parts.

Old
02-22-2009, 04:16 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Chicago doesn't want to trade one of the best goalies in the league for some spare parts.
Never said they would, however, there are other ways about getting rid of players cap numbers, and there are 27 other teams that the Flyers can trade with.

Again, trading Briere for 2 months of a UFA goalie is NOT smart. Biron carried us to the ECF last year, I'd rather have Briere + Biron than Bulin and no Briere.

Old
02-22-2009, 04:19 PM
richardn

Quote:
Never said they would, however, there are other ways about getting rid of players cap numbers, and there are 27 other teams that the Flyers can trade with.

Again, trading Briere for 2 months of a UFA goalie is NOT smart. Biron carried us to the ECF last year, I'd rather have Briere + Biron than Bulin and no Briere.
Philly needs this money for a goalie any ways. Good luck signing a goalie with 18 million spent on center. They would do this trade with the intensions of re-signing Bulin. They could then trade JVR for Schneider and have goalie situation solved for the next decade.

Old
02-22-2009, 04:21 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Philly needs this money for a goalie any ways. Good luck signing a goalie with 18 million spent on center. They would do this trade with the intensions of re-signing Bulin. They could then trade JVR for Schneider and have goalie situation solved for the next decade.
Or just draft one of our own.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Just because Stevens is an idiot doesn't mean an upgrade isn't needed. We have too much locked up on forwards and Briere has the worst contract of all.
He makes just over $2M more per season than Hartnell and Lupul will. I'd rather have Briere than Lupul.

Last edited by GKJ: 02-22-2009 at 05:11 PM.