HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nikolai Khabibulin to PHI

Old
02-22-2009, 03:25 PM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
They aren't going very far with Biron now matter how well he does. Philly has plenty of fire power with out Briere. Bulin is a proven playoff goalie having a very good year. Philly would be stupid not to do this move.
They made it to the final four last season with Biron in goal, and if not for injuries to Coburn and Timonen, they very well could have made the finals with Biron.

Is 'Bulin, a likely upgrade? Yes, but to act like Biron has never done anything, or a complete stiff, is just misinformed.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Or just draft one of our own.
Guys like Price are a rarity (and he himself was taken 5th overall) - can't expect them to make the "big show" for a number of years.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:32 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Guys like Price are a rarity (and he himself was taken 5th overall) - can't expect them to make the "big show" for a number of years.
I understand this, thanks for the lesson in hockey prospects.

But I stick with what I said and we should just draft our own, why trade a stud prospect for another stud prospect.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He makes just over $2M more per season than Hartnell and Lupul will. I'd rather have Briere and Lupul.
You would get rid of Hartnell over Briere? Hartnell isn't as good offensively, but he is more rounded and brings a gritty element which is what the Flyers would be sorely lacking without him. He's also just entering the prime of his career. Which makes his contract look fantastic because it's going to look better and better.

Briere's contract is market value for what he brings to the table, but it will look worse as he declines.

I'm not much of a Lupul fan either but I'd take Hartnell and Lupul over Briere because we need complimentary players on the wings instead of another top line center.

Briere doesn't really make sense for our salary structure. We have too much committed to the forwards especially center. He is our highest paid player, but he isn't our best. Timonen, Carter, Richards, and Gagne are better.

This team has been very good without him, better than they were last year with him. He is a very good player, but I don't think they'll be that much better with him since they are already one of the top offensive teams in the league. They need better defense and goaltending. They are at the bottom 3rd of the league in shots on goal against and the bottom half of the leage in goals against average. Briere doesn't solve that problem. If he can be moved to solve that problem then I think it would be a very smart move to make.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
Hartnell is not even up for discussion why do people not realize that. especially Flyers fans.
I prefer Hartnell to Lupul and would move Lupul first were I in Holmgren's shoes. However, it's not like Hartnell is the untouchable cornerstone franchise player of the Flyers. Unless you're Paul Holmgren (and judging by some of the ridiculous things you've posted on this forum in the past, you're not), tone down the condescension. Thanks.

Quote:
Philly needs a center. This deal only benifits Philly. Why would Chicago take on a salary dump so the fylers could have Bulin. Chicago doesn't need Biron.
We have two PPG centers and a third one who is injured but will be back before the playoffs. We don't need another center as much as we need upgrades on goaltending and, to a lesser extent, defense. You take on a salary dump and an RFA forward in order to get something for a guy who is otherwise going to leave via UFA for nothing in the offseason. Don't discount the value of Lupul. He's a young forward who can produce at a consistent level. It's not like he's some random throw-in.

Quote:
not to mention the fact that havlat comes off the books and probably won't be re-signed for cheap. while im not saying that lupul is better, he's a good alternative and probably a safe bet to score at least 30 goals alongside toews/kane. I think chicago likes wizniewski alot though, so i'd revise it to this:

khabi
sopel

for

lupul
jones
biron

since jones is still signed for next season it makes more sense cap-wise for chicago next year. biron backs up huet for this years playoff drive.
Sopel is older, more expensive, and all-around a downgrade from Wisniewski. The Flyers have no interest in him. I'd rather have Jones than Sopel; at least Jones is younger.

Philly likes Lupul just like Chicago likes Wisniewski. You said yourself that he's a safe bet for 30 goals alongside Toews/Kane, so Chicago has to give if they want to get. You'e got Keith and Barker, so losing Wisniewski for Lupul wouldn't be that egregious.

Cartered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
You would get rid of Hartnell over Briere? Hartnell isn't as good offensively, but he is more rounded and brings a gritty element which is what the Flyers would be sorely lacking without him. He's also just entering the prime of his career. Which makes his contract look fantastic because it's going to look better and better.

Briere's contract is market value for what he brings to the table, but it will look worse as he declines.
No it won't. As has been said numerous times starting from the day he signed the contract, his salary is structured so that he makes the most money in the first few years of his contract, when he is at his best. As his play declines, he gets cheaper, making it easier for Philly to buy him out towards the end if they must.

Quote:
I'm not much of a Lupul fan either but I'd take Hartnell and Lupul over Briere because we need complimentary players on the wings instead of another top line center.
Lupul and Hartnell are consistent top-six guys who can produce 40-50 points a season on average. Not bad, but you'd really take them over a guy who is two seasons removed from an ASG MVP and a 90 point season, was on a PPG pace before he got hurt this season, and leads in playoff scoring since the lockout ended? Briere's hurt, but he's not garbage, so people need to stop talking like he is.

Quote:
Briere doesn't really make sense for our salary structure. We have too much committed to the forwards especially center. He is our highest paid player, but he isn't our best. Timonen, Carter, Richards, and Gagne are better.
Briere isn't the best or most valuable player on the team, but again, you can't discount what he brings when he is healthy. He was clutch for us all through the playoffs last season, and he steps his game up when it counts. When he comes back and goes on a tear during the Flyers' playoff run, you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
This team has been very good without him, better than they were last year with him. He is a very good player, but I don't think they'll be that much better with him since they are already one of the top offensive teams in the league. They need better defense and goaltending. They are at the bottom 3rd of the league in shots on goal against and the bottom half of the leage in goals against average. Briere doesn't solve that problem. If he can be moved to solve that problem then I think it would be a very smart move to make.
Briere has a NMC, so he isn't going anywhere unless he agrees to move. He likes it in Philadelphia and I don't see him wanting to be traded unless something drastic happens. I'd move one of Lupul or Hartnell in exchange for better defense/goaltending before I'd move Briere, and I would be willing to bet everything that every NHL GM would share the same opinion. Danny brings too much to the team to be discounted the way he's been by some posters on this site. Expensive contract or not, he's an All-Star caliber player when he's healthy.

Cartered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 04:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post

I should correct myself, I meant to say I'd rather have Briere than Lupul.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote