HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Al Montoya To The Flyers

Old
04-12-2009, 11:32 AM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
C'mon, GKJ! A few games at the end of a season for a bottom dweller playing out the string of meaningless games consitutes a career! The verdict is in! Pass the crow.

Holmgren ought to "upgrade" from Biron to Montoya!

The ease in which a few here are impressed remains remarkable.
Yea i noticed your post on the last page. Seemingly the most dismissive of the them all. I also noticed that you are saying we are trying to upgrade Marty by adding Montoya...You dont seem to understand the value of having potential players in the system. The Flyers are currently cap strapped, we have to resign some big names soon including Coburn, the Giroux and soon JVR, cheap good goaltending is a risk, but it may be one that the Flyers have to go for. If we found a Steve Mason, we would pretty big contenders. But to say hahahahaha ROFL lololol, why would you ever trade a 6th rounder to PHX for this guy? And not take it back given he has done very well in the only time he has been in the NHL, is ignorant. Face it dude, you were wrong.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 11:38 AM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Call Montoya a bust if you want, but right now he's serving two very important roles:

1) He's a legit alternative to Bryzgalov, which Josh Tordjman and Joel Gistedt have rather blatantly proved that they aren't.

2) He's done well enough that he might get Bryzgalov to raise his game. Bryz played lazy this season because Tellqvist was nothing but a cheerleader for most of the year. A young goalie prospect who shows signs of #1 ability (and to be fair, Montoya hasn't Boucher'ed himself yet) might push our Russian to play like he did when he was hoping for a contract in 07-08.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:06 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'll say it before and I'll say it again. Montoya should have been in the NHL two to three seasons ago. In New York, he was stuck behind Lundqvist. In Phoenix, he's stuck behind Bryzgalov. I think what we saw with Montoya this past year in the AHL was a guy who was beginning to lose hope and frustration beginning to settle in that he'd never make it to the show because of a personnel situation.

I'd take a 'flyer' on him (pardon the pun). At the very worst, you've got a career AHLer who will solidify your farm team goaltending position for years and be a leader in the development of others. At the best, he's a guy who just needed a chance to get a starter role and he takes it and runs with it.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:45 PM
PhoPhan

No, at the worst, he becomes an AHL goalie who sulks and loses focus and is a detriment to the entire team.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 03:00 PM
jmichael7753

Montoya will be a solid NHL starting goalie sometime in the near future, in phoenix maybe not but somewhere.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Dimebag was and still is my favorite guitar player , it's the best avatar.
Dimebag couldn't have strung David Gilmour's Stratocaster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Montoya isn't a bust so far, he had a bust label before he even played a game which was unfair. Montoya has proved himself to have NHL skill in his short 5 gms played.
Dude, five NHL games isn't enough to prove ding-dong diddly-squat. Montoya should be judged on his AHL accomplishments, which were and are minimal at best.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I also noticed that you are saying we are trying to upgrade Marty by adding Montoya...You dont seem to understand the value of having potential players in the system.
Oh, I do. I also understand that you cannot keep a player at Montoya's stage nicely sitting in the AHL forever. It's nearly time for him to become a full-time NHLer or fodder. Based on five games, apparently he's passed the NHL test with flying colors according to you and a few others.

Quote:
But to say hahahahaha ROFL lololol, why would you ever trade a 6th rounder to PHX for this guy?
First, thanks for putting words in my post/head. Never said I would not move a 6th for Montoya - where did that fantasy originate in your dome?

Did say that the idea of replacing Biron with Montoya is hilarious. And typical.

Quote:
And not take it back given he has done very well in the only time he has been in the NHL, is ignorant. Face it dude, you were wrong.
Yes, and if he has a bad game or two, then if you do not take it back, you are "ignorant". See how bi-polarsim works?

Since you choose to get personal, I'll kindly suggest that your comment is the epitome of a "Born Yesterday Everyday" types". One who is soooooo eassssily (pathetically) impressed by a good week, a good game, a good period, a good shift.

One incapable of perspective, patience: "He scored a goal! He's great!....He didn't score a goal! He's a bum!"

As such, being deemed "wrong" and ignorant" by your type is taken for what it's worth. Absolutely nothing.

Last edited by Trottier: 04-12-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote