HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jean Perron on "Tout le monde en parle"

Old
02-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Bacchus1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Some clues were left in the report (credit cards was one HUGE one, but people here don't get it, since they don't really know how it works in the money laundering business), but the rest was nothing.
So are you suggesting the NHL players are money laundering for organized crime with their credit cards. I can't believe than an NHL player who is earning 1 million per year, and with good play and a good reputation could make much more, is messing around with organized crime trying to make a cut off cleaning some dirty cash. Unless, what you are suggesting, is that they are involved with major international players who are laundering multiple millions of dollars - which also wouldn't make sense.

What you have to think about is this: what sort of cut would someone get for laundering cash. Usually it is quite high: ~50% or more. Ok, so these guys who make 1 million can't be laundering more than 2 million, and at that point they are looking very suspicious because they have somehow doubled in value, yet used lots of money on their CC. Ok, so maybe it is a lot less: maybe it is a couple of grand, which is easy to hide. Well, if you had such potential in your future, would you be messing around for a couple of Gs.

Sounds like it is BS, or like we have some VERY STUPID players on our team. And, I can't believe that someone who makes so much money doesn't have someone looking over their shoulder if they are so stupid as to jeopardize their whole futures.

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:13 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I totally disagree with you. As said in my previous post.
you can disagree with me as much as you want. as far as i'm concerned this has nothing to do with celebrity. it has to do with the hypocrisy of jean perron. i do NOT condone the behavior of excessively partying athletes - nor do i condone perron passing himself off as caring for management and the organization and then doing this. that's BS.

and if you think otherwise, well we obviously both have very different ways of problem solving. if i have a problem with my brother i don't tell my neighbor. if i have a problem with my neighbor i don't tell everyone on the block. it's weak, it';s hypocritical and it lacks any kind of leadership and solid communication skills. and anyone can see that.

perron wants to do it? fine, don't pass yourself off as caring for anything other than the notoriety and attention it brings him. everything else is just BS

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Anyone who thinks only celebs get breaks are dead wrong. You can get away with a simple warning for many things if you dont act like an ass.
23,888 posts!!! Holy smokes! I know this has nothing to do with the topic but that figure just blows my mind.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:18 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
My problem with him is that what was his point to say it on air. If he has good intentions, say it to Gainey and Co privately. What he did was trying to take in some fame, and get known for KNOWING something..
He did. He said he was ignored by the organization so that's why he came out. What made it worst is that La Presse had an other story and they milked it.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:23 PM
znk

Anyway...I cant wait for the books to come out in many many years.

Old
02-22-2009, 10:27 PM
emb24*

Quote:
He did. He said he was ignored by the organization so that's why he came out. What made it worst is that La Presse had an other story and they milked it.
he wasn't ignored by the organization. he told donald beauchmap and gainey didn't call him back 'immediately'. couldn't he be a bit more patient? he's a more hysterical fanboy than many on this board. is that even the point?
if he had even a small brain in his head he should have seen the fallout. but anyone who actually watches perron speak on 110% knows he doesn't think before he speaks and mostly talks out of his ass. this is the guy who proposed two weeks ago that the habs should resign koivu and then 'convince' him to waive a no trade clause and trade him to tampa as part of a package for vinny.

further, the police have come out and said that no further charges are pending. that's the bottom line. if the team was winning no one would make a peep.

Old
02-22-2009, 10:38 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
he wasn't ignored by the organization. he told donald beauchmap and gainey didn't call him back 'immediately'. couldn't he be a bit more patient? he's a more hysterical fanboy than many on this board. is that even the point?
if he had even a small brain in his head he should have seen the fallout. but anyone who actually watches perron speak on 110% knows he doesn't think before he speaks and mostly talks out of his ass. this is the guy who proposed two weeks ago that the habs should resign koivu and then 'convince' him to waive a no trade clause and trade him to tampa as part of a package for vinny.

further, the police have come out and said that no further charges are pending. that's the bottom line. if the team was winning no one would make a peep.
Listen dude. It's not about the police thing. Perron never talked about the police or accusations. He just said they partied to much and had uh... "bad habits". It's not black or white. If anyone is still convinced we only have angles on this team then just put your fingers in your ears and go "la-la-la-la-la" and things will go away on their own.

Old
02-22-2009, 10:39 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,142339
Not sure if this has been posted before.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:43 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,142339
Not sure if this has been posted before.
That article sums up exactly how I feel about the whole situation: that the partying has nothing to do with their on-ice play.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Le Petit Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I've heard the rumours about Huet pics on the cellphone (these rumours seemed to emerge after he got traded) and although nothing has been written in public about this incident, they could very well be true. But true or untrue, what is a former Habs coach doing bringing this up on a talk show?? We're talking about a former coach who had to deal with these sorts of issues! Talk about a rat! He's breaking both hockey codes and journalist codes.
The main problem is people talks a lot without being well informed.

Like you by example...did you watched the show ?

I guess not cause Perron didn't said a word about the rumor, it's was Guy A Lepage doing a joke about Huet rumor

Le Petit Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:07 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Listen dude. It's not about the police thing. Perron never talked about the police or accusations. He just said they partied to much and had uh... "bad habits". It's not black or white. If anyone is still convinced we only have angles on this team then just put your fingers in your ears and go "la-la-la-la-la" and things will go away on their own.
i never said it was the police. man, wow. i'm talking about perron's way of showing sincerity and his credibility in the way he does it. that's what i'm writing about

is he a whistle-blower or an alumni indirectly employed by the organization that still has their interests at heart?

can't be both. not when you claim to 'care' about gainey and carbo as he has numerous times in public and then go ahead and show that 'care' this way. a way that directly sabotages gainey and carbo's ability to deal with a situation internally, their job personally, and probably going forward from a recruitment perspective. THAT'S what I'M talking about.

he should've called Gillette that's what he should've done if gainey wasn't not going to get back to him

Old
02-22-2009, 11:10 PM
znk

Quote:
i never said it was the police. man, wow. i'm talking about perron's way of showing sincerity and his credibility in the way he does it. that's what i'm writing about

is he a whistle-blower or an alumni indirectly employed by the organization that still has their interests at heart?

can't be both. not when you claim to 'care' about gainey and carbo as he has numerous times in public and then go ahead and show that 'care' this way. a way that directly sabotages gainey and carbo's ability to deal with a situation internally, their job personally, and probably going forward from a recruitment perspective. THAT'S what I'M talking about.

he should've called Gillette that's what he should've done if gainey wasn't not going to get back to him
You talk about Perron and you end your post with this....how am I to know these two things arent related for you....
Quote:
further, the police have come out and said that no further charges are pending. that's the bottom line. if the team was winning no one would make a peep

Anyway, you prefer cover ups.

Old
02-22-2009, 11:13 PM
emb24*

Quote:
So you prefer cover ups.
you clearly have a comprehension problem and an appetite for conspiracies.

let me spell it out for you once again. there is a way to approach sensitive subject matter within an organization, family, business, etc. that involves a certain level of discretion. perron can handle it anyway he wants...but to suggest publicly he cares about the people and the organization and then does this, does not help the people he supposedly cares about.

there's no cover up that couldn't have been dealt with internally. this jeopardizes the teams ability to win and recruit players right now and in the future.

anyone who believes that this is not partly the french media's axe to grind with the habs is clueless.

Old
02-22-2009, 11:16 PM
znk

Quote:
you clearly have a comprehension problem and an appetite for conspiracies.

let me spell it out for you once again. there is a way to approach sensitive subject matter within an organization, family, business, etc. that involves a certain level of discretion. perron can handle it anyway he wants...but to suggest publicly he cares about the people and the organization and then does this, does not help the people he supposedly cares about.

there's no cover up that couldn't have been dealt with internally. this jeopardizes the teams ability to win and recruit players right now and in the future.

anyone who believes that this is not partly the french media's axe to grind with the habs is clueless.

Old
02-22-2009, 11:19 PM
emb24*

Quote:
You talk about Perron and you end your post with this....how am I to know these two things arent related for you....

Anyway, you prefer cover ups.
ok batman, like you actually know what's going on.

what's been covered up? excessive partying of hab players? got news for you, there were doing it last year when they were winning. did anyone care? no.

kostitsyn gate? um well, ok, um how does la presse or tremblay or perron know intricate details of what the MUC's organized crime division's ongoing case is all about? they don't don't. it compromises public and police security. further the Kos Bros story was a side story to the mangione story. the police have come out and ended speculation by saying there's nothing else to it.

so we're back to point 1 again of you alleged 'cover up'. player's party. perron took it upon himself to go public after receiving tips.

he could've done it quietly he didn't - what he did do, though, is once again legitimize and feed the rabid and sensational behavior of the montreal francophone media...he should have known better...there were better ways to handle this. it's embarrassing and once again help scare players from this place.

Old
02-22-2009, 11:26 PM
emb24*

Quote:
truth hurts. ask francophone players from around the NHL why they won't play here and more often than not it's the french media's over zealous treatment of them. in their overwhelming desire to find the next francophone hero they eat their young. they turn theo from a god into a propecia using head case. don't get me wrong, i blame some of the players for their behavior but the media can't have it both ways.

guys like tremblay and Bertrand Raymond have been dishonest and bitter since the days they lost many of their contacts within the room and were told to get off the team plane. they continue to write ludicrous articles like the one tremblay posted on thursday, that deal with ethnicity rather than hockey skill... they send a photographer during the playoffs into the hospital to film koivu while he has an eye injury and call out his leadership because he doesn't speak french confidently enough in public. should i go on?

they explain a 'bomb' is going to drop and send hab fans around the world into a tizzy and then send midnight TV crews to an airport and claim the worst episode in habs history is about to come down. they spy on players and claim to have habs' brass' collective interest at heart and then spill the beans on provincial talk shows - instead of their faces...

why doesn't the english media write the same kind of articles about hab players? ask yourself that question and think about it in a profound way. jack todd Never discusses a player's ethnic background or pries into their private lives the way the franco media does.

Last edited by emb24*: 02-22-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old
02-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Alcoolique*

I kinda see Perron as a ... Old bitter man who needs attention.

Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 11:37 PM
znk

Quote:
ok batman, like you actually know what's going on.

what's been covered up? excessive partying of hab players? got news for you, there were doing it last year when they were winning. did anyone care? no.

kostitsyn gate? um well, ok, um how does la presse or tremblay or perron know intricate details of what the MUC's organized crime division's ongoing case is all about? they don't don't. it compromises public and police security. further the Kos Bros story was a side story to the mangione story. the police have come out and ended speculation by saying there's nothing else to it.

so we're back to point 1 again of you alleged 'cover up'. player's party. perron took it upon himself to go public after receiving tips.

he could've done it quietly he didn't - what he did do, though, is once again legitimize and feed the rabid and sensational behavior of the montreal francophone media...he should have known better...there were better ways to handle this. it's embarrassing and once again help scare players from this place.
First you talk about my reading comprehension.
I didnt say it was a cover up. You said they should have kept it silent....you prefer cover ups.

Then you talk about my appetite for conspiracies.
You're the one with the conspiracy where the media wants to destroy the team.

I thought my last post made that clear.

Old
02-22-2009, 11:41 PM
emb24*

Quote:
I didnt say it was a cover up. You said they should have kept it silent....you prefer cover ups.

you're only response is to post inane TV /film trailer explosion videos; that's your answer. i said they should've gone to the habs management and WAIT for an answer to their query. that's not a cover up that's discretion.

the french media in many ways by their behavior IS destroying the team. that's fact not my perception. they do behave like rabid paparazzi, they do cross the line from normal sports reporting. that's their prerogative but they should stop whining when no franco stars want to play here or gainey can't recruit media shy players.

Quote:

bottom line were not going to agree. but as a bilingual montrealer i am appalled at how several francophone columnists and reporters behave.

good article for those too lazy to click on the link

These are, in no particular order, Montreal Canadiens players Carey Price, Christopher Higgins, Josh Gorges and Ryan O'Bryne. You may have heard that their team is struggling, and now you know why: They are obsessed with partying while wearing nothing but goggles, swim caps and loud Speedos that resemble a couch found in a 1970s wood-paneled rec room. Oh, and at least three of them believe they're No. 1. Such egos ...

In truth, this a photograph taken last October as a Halloween party, as if the timing should matter. That now-infamous Carey Price photograph, which appears to be a meek attempt at setting a Guinness record for simultaneous smokes, was taken on a Mexican vacation in the off-season. But it's clearly an indication that he's too immature for a starring role in the NHL, right?

Of course not. Web-savvy fans, for the most part, understand that a few candid snaps of players taken at indeterminable times and locations are not an indication of anything more than tabloid-level fame. (Or, in Mike Commodore's case, a perverse sense of humor.)

But when they're used as evidence of larger behavioral or substance abuse problems, as they were by former Habs coach Jean Perron on a French-language radio show, they become something scandalous for fans and media to consider -- the root of a franchise's current struggles, the trigger for the possible implosion of a predestined season.

In true mainstream media tradition, most of the newspapers that covered the Partyin' Habs today refused to guide their readers to the source for many of these images: 25Stanley.com, the French-language realm of gossip and candid photographs run by a 25-year-old Canadiens fan that goes by the handle J.T. Utah.

We spoke with him this afternoon to find out some truth beyond the fleeting photos that have floated throughout the Web during Montreal's swoon. Do the Habs have a party problem? Or does the media have a young men being young men problem?

Utah finds much of the coverage about the Canadiens' partying ways to be laughable because of their sudden urgency.

"They could have talked about these stories such a long time ago," said Utah. "But they were winning games [at the beginning of the season]."

Utah would know. The proprietor of the gossip Web site has been on this facet of the Canadiens beat for some time. He used to work as a "spotter" for a nightlife magazine columnist, reporting on the nocturnal habits of the Habs.

Besides the e-mails sent his way from readers, he said a girlfriend of a current Canadiens player is a primary source for him. "I know friends of players. I know girls who occasionally sleep with players," he said.

Has he written about the sex lives of players? "Oh yeah, yeah ... they're pretty good in bed."

From everything Utah knows, the Canadiens-as-party-animals story couldn't have broken at a worst time in light of what he feels is their current level of revelry.

"At this moment, the guys are partying less than they were back in September and last year," he said.

"Jean Perron accused Higgins of being an alcoholic. From what I've heard, last year Higgins was living with Michael Ryder and [they] were partying big-time. Higgins was dating a barmaid," Utah said. "But as you may have seen during all-star weekend, Chris Higgins did not attend any party. Chris Higgins hasn't been partying at all lately. He's been focusing on his physical condition. So Perron accusing Higgins of being an alcoholic is pure [expletive]. An alcoholic usually doesn't have a six-pack."

(No, it's usually a 24-pack. But we digress.)

No one is saying that the Canadiens players have all decided to stay out of the clubs and curl up with a good book instead. It's just that Utah doesn't feel their night-lives impact their play, based on recent history.

"During each game of [last season's] playoffs, the guys were partying and they were winning games. The fact that the guys are partying does not have any impact on their performance on the ice. If the Habs were winning games right now, no one would be talking about that," said Utah.

"During the all-star weekend, they partied for four nights in a row. If you do that, maybe it affects them for one or two games. But at this moment, the guys are on a road trip and I have very big doubts that Higgins and Price decided to party hard in Edmonton and Calgary while the team is struggling."

What irks him is the same thing that irks Jack Todd of the Montreal Gazette: That segments of the media have chosen to pick and choose images and gossip, piece it together and lay the blame on a few players for the team's demise. When, in reality, they're just being young dudes with money to burn, as there have been for generations in the NHL.

From Todd:

Look, this is what healthy young men do. (Well, except for the smoking.) They drink, they carouse, they chase women. Unless they're professional athletes, in which case they get chased by the kind of young women who have calculators where their eyes should be.

The things Price is photographed doing have been done by athletes since Greek competitors were tossing a discus without a jockstrap. If cell phone cameras had been around in his day, Guy Lafleur would have kept entire websites in business. It's even possible that legendary Canadiens goalie Gump Worsley had an ale or two in his day.

That was then and this is now. Today, every joker has a cellphone camera and far too many of them are willing to use the things in order to invade someone else's privacy. "Hey Carey, look over here!'' Look, click, and you're infamous. It's a different world - and there are probably a couple of guys working behind the Canadiens bench who are happy it wasn't like that when they played.

But where Utah disagrees with Todd and other mainstream media is about this notion of "invading someone else's privacy." Utah feels that the photos on the Web aren't embarrassing at all -- that they humanize the players in a way that actually makes fans appreciate them more.

"These guys have the same lifestyle as every other professional athlete in North America or Europe. It's just that the Montreal journalists are so old, and they have no clue what the lifestyle of a 20 year old is right now. And they don't understand the Web," he said.

"The younger people are like, 'Hey, they're living the same life as us.' They understand."

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-24-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old
02-22-2009, 11:56 PM
znk

Quote:
bottom line were not going to agree. but as a bilingual montrealer i am appalled at how several francophone columnists and reporters behave.
Ben là on est d'accord. But that shouldnt be an excuse to brush away everything they say.

Old
02-23-2009, 12:02 AM
JrHockeyFan

perron sounds like a rumour pedlar to me. unless of course he is a private detective now who actually seeks out his own info

I don't think he cares squat about the canadiens. He's just trying to make a living out of crap like this

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:04 AM
emb24*

Quote:
Ben là on est d'accord. But that shouldnt be an excuse to brush away everything they say.
did i say brush away everything they say? it's you that writing in absolutes, not me. i'm not making any excuses, i'm saying they are prone to writing excessive sensational tripe that can border on ethnic and linguistic nationalism that is more fitting in the political editorials.
it is true many are dinosaurs that daydream about bygone times rather than actually adapt to the reality around them

Old
02-23-2009, 12:09 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
perron sounds like a rumour pedlar to me. unless of course he is a private detective now who actually seeks out his own info

I don't think he cares squat about the canadiens. He's just trying to make a living out of crap like this
Yeah right...the guy coached the Habs to a stanley cup, wears the ring with pride and he doesnt care about them? People say the most outlandish things.

Old
02-23-2009, 12:15 AM
habdynasty

Quote:
And that's exactly why things had to blow up like they did. Everyone should be on their best behavior for a while. At least lets hope.
what really blew up???????

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:21 AM
MoonlightGraham

I guess a lot of people here who always want to criticize the media and believe the team won't agree with me, but I'll voice my opinion anyways.

If Jean Perron goes on the biggest TV show in Quebec saying what he said, it's extremely likely that it's true. Especially since he said he called Bob Gainey to warn him, and that Gainey was receptive. If it wasn't true, Bob would just have to say Perron never called him, and his credibility would be ruined. Perron knows that.

Just like most people here, I wish he wouldn't go on Tout le monde en parle talking about that problem, and the Habs could deal with it internally. That doesn't change the fact that it's pretty obvious, with what Perron said and what happened with the Kostitsyn brothers, that there definitely is a problem with some of the young players on the team. This is not the media trying to find a problem where there isn't one.

It's true that if the team was winning it wouldn't be an issue. But the team isn't winning. So hopefully now the Canadiens organization will watch what the players are doing a little more. I'm 21 and I like to party as much as anyone else, and I definitely know that going in an 8:30AM class when you went to bed at 3:00AM completely drunk isn't the smartest thing you can do. Obviously young rich professional athletes are going to party once in a while, and that's perfectly fine, but if it affects their performance it's definitely a problem, and it seems possible it did affect their performance this year.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote