HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What would you prefer we do before the deadline?

View Poll Results: What should we do before the deadline?
Defensive addition 28 28.87%
Goaltending addition 37 38.14%
Nothing, adding Briere is enough 32 32.99%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-23-2009, 08:14 AM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
addition by subtraction of Jones and alberts

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:20 AM
IrishSniper87

Unfortunately, with our cap situation, out best move would be to move Randy Jones for a pick, and bring Briere back into the lineup.

Holmgrem has no wiggle room here.

Honestly though, I would love to replace Briere and Jones with Jay-Bo, and look at installing a more sound defensive system. How you make this work without giving to much AND fitting under the cap? I don't think you can.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:23 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
A ****ing men.

I would love to get a goalie but no one is out there. No one is an upgrade over Biron. The way Biron played in last year's playoffs I believe we could of won the cup. Last time I checked, Cam Ward was not an elite goaltender when he won the cup.
Backstrom is interesting but like I said im not convinced enough to trade for him. Id rather gamble on him in the offseason via a trade or FA.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:25 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
we NEED a defensive system. I guess Im alone in backing Biron, but im comfortable with him as long as this team plays fundamental D. Which they have issues doing. If we do that and Biron still lets in 5 goals a night and single handily costs us games, Ill drive him to the airport. There is no market for a Stanley Cup caliber goalie.
You are not alone in support of Biron....I do as well, but someone does need to slap him upside the head for coming out of the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
addition by subtraction of Jones and alberts
Fine by me.

In all seriousness, I want to upgrade the #3 dman as I have not been satisfied with Carle.

I am willing to move in some combination: Jones, Alberts, Carle, Lupul (assuming Briere is coming back)

I do not want to move JVR unless we are getting someone that will be around for several years, like Jbo for instance if it was able to be worked into the cap.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:07 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
Get a goalie or defenseman while not costing anything silly, like JVR.

Oh, also put Alberts to the pressbox and let Ossi play.
Alberts has played a little worse recently, but has had a good season with us. Jones for Van is what you are looking for.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

I'm ok if we stand pat.

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
If all we did on the deadline was get ride of Jones OR Alberts to fit Briere back in, Ill be okay with that.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:27 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
wow this poll is close.
all 3 options seperated by 1 vote as I write this.
I voted for defense. preferably a physical defenseman who can clear out those rebounds down low for starters. Our defense is soft as hell.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
This team is fine. The only change I'd want to see is a new defensive system. Our defenders have been solid and the offense is what we expected.

Anyone who says Carle has been a disappointment needs to realize his situation, his talents in regards to the system we play in, and who he has been playing with.

Then, consider his ES points, his 5 pts in the last 7, and his recent play.

#3 defenders who have been playing the way he has recently are quite solid in my eyes.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:31 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Please tell us who is available that is an upgrade, and if they are BOTH available, and an upgrade, why are they an upgrade, and what has he done that Biron has not?
we'll send you Toskala,

But you guys need a goalie to make a Cup run.

Go get Backstorm in Minny. Do a sign and trade (make sure you can sign him)

Maybe: Lupul + 1st + Biron for Backstorm (signed)

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
we'll send you Toskala,

But you guys need a goalie to make a Cup run.

Go get Backstorm in Minny. Do a sign and trade (make sure you can sign him)

Maybe: Lupul + 1st + Biron for Backstorm (signed)
That would be a ridiculous package to give up for Backstrom.

Really, ok, it makes sense in the context-- dump Lupul for cap, dump Biron to have a spot for Backstrom, and then the first for whatever reason.

But in actuality it makes zero sense, especially when adding that first. Why is everyone forgetting Backstrom's in one of the most defensive systems in the league while also in a contract year?

Really, I just want to add a defenseman that makes sense.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
healthyscratch

Defense: 16
Goaltending: 18
Nothing: 17

I'm surprised so many have soured on our goaltending and is actually leading the poll. I would be ok with doing nothing major... but the average play of our goalies and the pipe dream of adding Bouwmeester made me vote defense. The guy averages 27min a night, that's a game less from Jones and a half a game less from Alberts every night from one guy. He would help our goalies and he becomes our defensive points leader. Adding him makes us a legitimate threat for a cup, imo.

healthyscratch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I would trade Randy Jones and Glen Metropolit for Danny Briere and Ossi Vaananen.

I seriously don't care if we get anything in return for jones, just get him out of here. Metro has been a waste and i think Powe could definitely replace him on the 4th line without a problem.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiria92 View Post
I would trade Randy Jones and Glen Metropolit for Danny Briere and Ossi Vaananen.

I seriously don't care if we get anything in return for jones, just get him out of here. Metro has been a waste and i think Powe could definitely replace him on the 4th line without a problem.
I don't know what games you've been watching but he's been a incredibly solid 4th liner with great puck handling skills. If you're going to go off of stats, remember he gets the least amount of playing time per game and is often winged by Asham and Cote (Asham's doing decent, Cote go zero scoring ability).

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:13 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

If the Flyers make any deals, I hope it doesn't involve any first round picks, no prospects named Giroux or Sbisa, and whoever they acquire is not a free agent.

Everyone talks about landing a D-man named Bouwmeester, but he's going to go cost. I'd rather the Flyers just find ways to move salary and then go shopping in the off season. The trade deadline is not the time to be making deals because that's when GMs always panic and make incredibly bad moves just for a potential post season run.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:17 PM
CantSeeColors

I prefer that we acquire a rope to tie around Biron, but since that wasn't an option, I voted for C. I wouldn't be upset if a good deal for a defender came along, but I don't think it's necessary.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:37 PM
John Flyers Fan

I would move Lupul, JVR and Jones for one of th ebig 3 defenseman (J-Bo, Pronger, Neidermayer) ... in that order.

Save for that, if I could get Dominic Moore from the Leafs, for nothing more than a 2nd rounder I would do that. Have him center the 4th line, and he gives us another quality penalty killer, and a top flight face-off man ... which would be nice.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I prefer that we acquire a rope to tie around Biron, but since that wasn't an option, I voted for C. I wouldn't be upset if a good deal for a defender came along, but I don't think it's necessary.
Electric dog fence.. We get him the colar and everytime he tries to come out he gets zapped... Might has well get Nitty one also

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:45 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Electric dog fence.. We get him the colar and everytime he tries to come out he gets zapped... Might has well get Nitty one also
Hey, I used to install electric fences one summer. I can definitely rig one up for Marty!

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I don't know what games you've been watching but he's been a incredibly solid 4th liner with great puck handling skills. If you're going to go off of stats, remember he gets the least amount of playing time per game and is often winged by Asham and Cote (Asham's doing decent, Cote go zero scoring ability).
I see a lot of great puck handling ability and then nothing. He does all this great stuff and then...nothing. We could pay someone who costs less to do the same thing. Ok so he's not a waste but still he has not been anything like what a lot of people thought he would be.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiria92 View Post
I see a lot of great puck handling ability and then nothing. He does all this great stuff and then...nothing. We could pay someone who costs less to do the same thing. Ok so he's not a waste but still he has not been anything like what a lot of people thought he would be.
He's only making $1 million this. He's making more than what would be an AHL player in his place but we're also paying that much to have a complete team with 4 lines rather than a 4th line of players gaining experience. I don't think anyone saw him being anything other than a 4th liner so I don't know what you mean about your last sentence.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
I'm not saying he won't ever be traded, because I really don't know...but what makes you think that other teams will break down the doors for Jones (and his contract) when the majority of you guys are constantly on his ass saying how awful he is. And don't say it's the contract, he was here last year, performing quite well and was improving from the previous year on a much better contract and you still hated him.

Sure, you could say you'll take nothing back for him (which means a pick?) but even still, the team welcoming him would have to have the cap room to accept him.

I'm just curious to know why any other team would even be remotely interested in him, if he's so 'useless'...

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Jaymin

Send a message via Yahoo to Jaymin
I voted for nothing, as I agree with others here that said they don't want a rental player like J-Bo. While there is nothing wrong with J-Bo, in fact he would probably be an upgrade to our D, FLA wants picks and prospects for J-Bo so while I would have no problem with a pick or prospect in the deal, I want to unload some salary also. As for the goalie possition, I like Biron and think that if we had a better system installed, where the forwards and defense both played better on defense and on the breakouts from our defensive zone we would be a far better team.

Jaymin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I would move Lupul, JVR and Jones for one of th ebig 3 defenseman (J-Bo, Pronger, Neidermayer) ... in that order.

Save for that, if I could get Dominic Moore from the Leafs, for nothing more than a 2nd rounder I would do that. Have him center the 4th line, and he gives us another quality penalty killer, and a top flight face-off man ... which would be nice.
There's something I'd be interested in. If you could get rid of Metro and get someone in here who is actually useful for the 4th line, I'd be all for it.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I'd be extremely happy with Moore. First full season since 05-06 with 1 team and he's really settled in, on pace for 50+ points, pretty good defensively, and has a 54.5 faceoff percentage.

That being said, Burke ain't stupid, Moore is an ideal 3rd line lynchpin for them in the coming years.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote