HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kubina Will Not Submit A List Prior To TDD

Old
02-23-2009, 10:48 AM
BooRadley

vCash: 500
Maybe I misunderstood, but doesn't Kubina have a limited NTC? Meaning in the summer (once the Leafs miss the playoffs) and his limited NTC is activated, he can only be traded to a select amount of teams that he selected prior to signing his contract? I'm assuming this list would be much smaller then the 10 he was asked to produce anyway. If this is the case; why wouldn't he want to stay until the summer? Again, maybe I misunderstood.

BooRadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:50 AM
shaner89

Burke is really starting to piss me off. Last week he was saying hes getting offers and they are getting better then some previous ones. Now he doesnt think the deadline will be busy? If thats his way of saying we wont be doing anything...... Shame on you BB and shame on this god damn franchise.

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:52 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
There isn't 10 teams in the whole World that would want Kubina at $5 mil per, so I am not surprised Kubina can't name 10 NHL teams.

What does that say about the character of a player that embraces losing year after year and refuses to leave to compete and contend for a Stanley Cup instead?. Kubina's country club mentality and preference for shortened seasons would be the exact reason if I was a GM I would trade and remove him.

From Kubina's perspective he saw his value was the aging Kyle McLaren and a pick so the rest of the NHL has not shown him a lot of love, and so much like McCabe previously, he hides behind his NTC as a crutch to avoid embarrassment for himself. If he submits a list and Burke comes on his PC and says "No Interest" just like McCabe then that reflects poorly on him.
His motivations would be different than many, since he already has a Cup. Given how well travelled the Muskoka 5 were (except Kabs) is TO really that bad of a place to play? He probably has a GF in Toronto Seriously how many clubs do you hear players battling to stay with? It could be country club, but it could also be the profile of the sport in Toronto is appealing without the grinding pressure of NYR or Montreal, but not an afterthought, like in Cali or Florida. Players request NT and NM for a reason and they sign with clubs for purposes other than a championship, since clearly most will never have that chance. It is a job to most and they want stability, the same as we all do. Kubina is less of a question mark in that aspect than Mats, who had no cup ring but still wanted to ride the ship down. At some point most players must accept they will never be champions and they play for the city, or for their team mates, or for the puck bunnies. It doesn't make them dead weight, just practical.
I do think what Kubina did was stupid though, to give up that level of control. He is gone for certain, if they can get anything back because there is no value in his contract on a bottom feeder if they can ditch it. I am sure he, like McCabe, would have some interesting thoughts on why he is making a good choice but we will never hear them.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chea View Post
Can't say I didn't see this coming. Kind've makes you think this whole rebuild thing was a scam.
How if no GM wants to give 1st for Antropov, take a second and be happy?

Kubina used NTC, how can you move him?

Move Kaberle and spend years looking for another number one PMD?

What other assets do the Leafs have? Wish people would think

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Snipeshow

This year keeps getting better and better... :

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:29 AM
MSP4LYFE*

**** this franchise, and **** me for buying there **** time and time again.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:32 AM
pulkinator

so many negative nancys here

pulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:33 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
**** this franchise, and **** me for buying there **** time and time again.
I feel your pain. It's hard not cheering for your hometown team, but I'm getting closer and closer to doing it as much as I hate the idea of it.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:36 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Don't see how this changes anything....panties sure get bunched awfully quick around here.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:37 AM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
I feel your pain. It's hard not cheering for your hometown team, but I'm getting closer and closer to doing it as much as I hate the idea of it.
You know I really want to stick with this franchise, but I just don't know how much longer I can justify cheering for this joke of a franchise.

Old
02-23-2009, 11:40 AM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Don't see how this changes anything....panties sure get bunched awfully quick around here.
You don't see how this changes anything? Standing pat at the deadline not only hurts our draft posistion and limits our ability to aquire youth, it demonstrates the true direction of this franchise, and by all accounts it is not a rebuild like we all thought.

Old
02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
pulkinator

Quote:
You know I really want to stick with this franchise, but I just don't know how much longer I can justify cheering for this joke of a franchise.
Yes because Burke was the one who offered the NTCs to Kubs and Kabs.

How bout we give Burke a chance to make some change before whining.

pulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:45 AM
DJIncognito

Quote:
You don't see how this changes anything? Standing pat at the deadline not only hurts our draft posistion and limits our ability to aquire youth, it demonstrates the true direction of this franchise, and by all accounts it is not a rebuild like we all thought.
Burke has no say in whether Kubina waives the NTC.

As for saying it won't be a busy deadline - it may be posturing, setting expectations or simply admitting that he can't make all the moves he wants to because of the market.

I'm hoping he pulls the trigger on a few deals just like everyone else. But it's not all in his control. Trading legit NHLers for 6th round picks may not be the best way to rebuild.

DJIncognito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:50 AM
EazyB97

It won't be a super busy deadline. Burke doesn't like losing and he won't support it. He'll do his best to get this team back into the playoffs and soon. He said the other day he expects this team to do well down the stretch and start playing better hockey.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Can't wait until June for Kubina to be dealt?

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:00 PM
TMLeafer

Woohoo! Now we get to speculate past the deadline and all the way to the draft and beyond!

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:14 PM
bcool

Lots of overreacting going on in here

bcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Whatever, he's just giving up what little control he might have had over the process.
I as a TB fan was happy when we let him go. I think everyone here has long seen why.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexintoronto View Post
Burke has no say in whether Kubina waives the NTC.

As for saying it won't be a busy deadline - it may be posturing, setting expectations or simply admitting that he can't make all the moves he wants to because of the market.

I'm hoping he pulls the trigger on a few deals just like everyone else. But it's not all in his control. Trading legit NHLers for 6th round picks may not be the best way to rebuild.
I agree, I think it's a heavy dose of posturing and setting up the tables to save face once he realizes he may not get what he wants and thus doesn't pull off the expected deals.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:21 PM
IBLeaf*

Lol at the kids who were crying over one statement.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:22 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
I as a TB fan was happy when we let him go. I think everyone here has long seen why.
Hasn't Tampa been in a steady decline since they lost him? Kubina had a bit of a rough start in Toronto and has been very good since then. Playing in every situation, putting up good numbers in the process.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcool View Post
No kidding.

If Burke doesn't think there are good moves to be made than don't make any moves. Unlike like what some of the more overreactive fans think, Panic management isn't going to do anything positive.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcool View Post
Make like a Paul Maurice and Chamomile!

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Hasn't Tampa been in a steady decline since they lost him? Kubina had a bit of a rough start in Toronto and has been very good since then. Playing in every situation, putting up good numbers in the process.
I think he's in the middle of his best season so far with us, after a bad start to the year.

What the heck is all this talk of abandoning the team? Seriously? Over a potentially slow trade deadline? Where's all this patience for a slow, steady rebuild I've been hearing about from all you guys? I'm honestly really surprised at such talk. Anyone who thinks this is bad sure didn't live through Ballard at all. This team is on the right path, I don't know how you can't see that. It's going to be a marathon, though, not a sprint.

Leafs should be in your blood, man, it's not a choice, it's a passion.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Patience.

Fletch/Burke weren't exactly left with a pot of gold prospect-wise. Remember it takes more than a season and a half to restructure a hockey club.
I've been waiting for them to make 2 consecutive trades towards a better future since the fall of 2005. I'm plenty patient and I hate the lack of direction that has plagued this franchise. Burke needs to get this show on the road.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote