HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Issues with balance.

Old
02-22-2009, 12:08 AM
IniNew

vCash: 500
Issues with balance.

A bit of back-story: I've been playing inline for almost a year now and am very comfortable on my inline skates. They are Supreme Edge's with the Tuuk One Up chassis, although I don't follow the suggest wheel set up and run all 80's. This makes all four touch the ground while gliding.

On Ice I am wearing the old Nike Quest 2 skates with stock everything. I am wondering if there is a skate ( I am willing to buy new skates) or way to create a more flat feeling on the skates as I am having so much trouble learning the new balance.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

goalie skates would fit what you are describing but you are just going to have to get used to the smaller blades. keep your knees bent and dont lean forward or backward too much.

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 12:26 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Inline requires very, very little ankle strength in comparison to ice. You MUST build your ankles more for ice. This is especially important for balance and snap in the forward stride, as well as turning.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:04 PM
rye&ginger

Exercise your balance. Stand on one leg while you watch TV by lifting your knee towards your chest. Stand on something that makes you unstable such as a firm pillow/sofa cusion. Stick handle a ball as this gets easier for you, and also you can close your eyes.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:59 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I would suggest just skating more and getting used to it, but if you're really desperate, you can get them profiled with a larger radius. A skate with a 9' radius will feel different then one with an 11'.

What it means is that your blade is sharpened on an arc. A 9' means that the arc is the same as a section of a 9 foot circle, and 11' means the circle is larger and thus the section is flatter.

You will never get them as flat as your roller blades, but it will help.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:19 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I would suggest just skating more and getting used to it, but if you're really desperate, you can get them profiled with a larger radius. A skate with a 9' radius will feel different then one with an 11'.

What it means is that your blade is sharpened on an arc. A 9' means that the arc is the same as a section of a 9 foot circle, and 11' means the circle is larger and thus the section is flatter.

You will never get them as flat as your roller blades, but it will help.
Whats the downside of going to a higher radius? Loss of glide speed?

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
Whats the downside of going to a higher radius? Loss of glide speed?
you get more speed but your turns wont be as sharp. i.e. 13' radius is better speed 9' better turns

the glide speed(correct me if im wrong someone) is more dependent of the ROH radius of hollow

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:59 PM
rye&ginger

Change your skates last, if in a month you are not more confortable skating. I started playing again about 18 months ago after about 15 years of not skating, and the for first 3 weeks my ankles were tweaking like a puppy that just ate a pepper. After a month, I was one of the best skaters on the team. Skate as much as you can, and do the exercises I suggested. Balance can be improved.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:19 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Inline requires very, very little ankle strength in comparison to ice. You MUST build your ankles more for ice. This is especially important for balance and snap in the forward stride, as well as turning.
Why is this?

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
A bit of back-story: I've been playing inline for almost a year now and am very comfortable on my inline skates. They are Supreme Edge's with the Tuuk One Up chassis, although I don't follow the suggest wheel set up and run all 80's. This makes all four touch the ground while gliding.

On Ice I am wearing the old Nike Quest 2 skates with stock everything. I am wondering if there is a skate ( I am willing to buy new skates) or way to create a more flat feeling on the skates as I am having so much trouble learning the new balance.
Well, first, hockey skates have a rocker. Which means that you should only have about 1 to 2 inches of the center blade touching the ice at all times. This is why it's hard to maintain good balance when skaters are starting off on ice skates.

Ice Hockey is 80% skating and 80% of skating is Balance. Now in order for you to have the ability to turn front to back and back to front, is to have great balance. Inorder to do this, you have to be light on your feet.

Now somewhere in this forum, I have wrote several threads on balance and drills that you can use to help with your balance. Now, all you have to do is find them. If you click on my name and search all of the posts that I have posted, you might be able to find them.

However, If you send me a PM, I will see if I can hunt it down for you.

Head coach