HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kubina Staying Until At Least The Summer

Old
02-23-2009, 01:52 AM
houtan99

vCash: 500
Kubina Staying Until At Least The Summer

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howar...Summer/3/19564

According to Berger, Kubina and Burke met and Kubina has not provided him with a list of teams and wants to wait it out until the summer.

houtan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:12 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

sigh....... So I guess this means Kaberle will change his mind now too maybe.

Kubina keeps screwing this team helping us get points and messing with the Leafs position in the draft.

Today being a perfect example. God damn it!!

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:30 AM
IWD

Unfortunate, but still not a total loss. That's one less defensemen on the market for buyers to pick up. Also, don't forget that he can be traded anywhere this summer without a say in the matter. Once UFA defensemen are signed, he might be a good alternative for the year.

That, or I'd also offer him a 4 year contract extension. #1 defenseman, solid all-around, and would probably be a good continuing mentor for younger defensemen.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:31 AM
HOCKEYGOON

I hate the fact that were one of the few teams that can suck and still not get people to waive their NTC's to jump to a playoff team.

HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:32 AM
grabo84

He'll get a very good return at the draft as well.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:01 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4600
I really don't see there being a significant negative impact on the return for Kubina this summer as opposed to the deadline. There aren't many equivalent defensemen available as UFA's this summer so somebody will need to go the trade route. Besides, there are teams that have greater difficulty attracting UFA's for various reasons and Burke can deal with all 29 teams rather than just 10.
I would be surprised if Kubina returns with Toronto for 09/10. Possibly if the leafs went with two inexperienced goaltenders next season Kubina's defensive zone presence would keep him around.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Antropovsky

He's on pace for a career high in points, with 33 already on the year, 40 being his career high set last year by him.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:45 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale View Post
Unfortunate, but still not a total loss. That's one less defensemen on the market for buyers to pick up. Also, don't forget that he can be traded anywhere this summer without a say in the matter. Once UFA defensemen are signed, he might be a good alternative for the year.

That, or I'd also offer him a 4 year contract extension. #1 defenseman, solid all-around, and would probably be a good continuing mentor for younger defensemen.
The Leafs are worse off waiting until the offseason. Kaberle will get some interest in the offseason but I think you get very little interest for Kubina. The Leafs had that opportunity last offseason as well and Kubina is still a Leaf today.

4 year contract extension? A #1 dman? Who are you talking about here? Kubina is not worth an extension nor is he a remotely close to a #1 dman. People throw around the term "#1 dman" much to easily around here. Kubina is slow and inconsistent and is passing his prime as we speak. He can still be useful to a playoff team but his role will not be the same one he holds with the Leafs. There is a reason the Leafs are one of the worst defensive teams in the league, one of them is having Kubina as a "#1 Dman".

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:53 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
The Leafs are worse off waiting until the offseason. Kaberle will get some interest in the offseason but I think you get very little interest for Kubina. The Leafs had that opportunity last offseason as well and Kubina is still a Leaf today.

4 year contract extension? A #1 dman? Who are you talking about here? Kubina is not worth an extension nor is he a remotely close to a #1 dman. People throw around the term "#1 dman" much to easily around here. Kubina is slow and inconsistent and is passing his prime as we speak. He can still be useful to a playoff team but his role will not be the same one he holds with the Leafs. There is a reason the Leafs are one of the worst defensive teams in the league, one of them is having Kubina as a "#1 Dman".
They decided to keep him last off-season, I don't think they were shopping him. Why do you think he'll have less value this summer? His contract only runs for one more year, and ends right when the cap is likely to drop. It's perfect in that sense.

Old
02-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Sick. Another year of Kubina for God and a 1st round pick proposals.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:56 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:58 AM
daethfromabove1979

in the summer the leafs can trade him anywhere they want.. why wouldn't kubina do something about it and pick his teams now

he better be gone at the deadline or least one of him or kaberle

daethfromabove1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:01 AM
dubey
~manlets~

His play has been a lot better recently, almost as if he wants to showcase what he's got for a new team

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Pyke*

Do the Leafs really want Kubina around for the end of the year though? They might win more games, and by extension, get a higher finish (lower lottery pick) .

That could be bad news.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:52 PM
highoffglass
Cheers!

he can still get a lot at the draft, along with Kaberle

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:56 PM
leafscrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
His play has been a lot better recently, almost as if he wants to showcase what he's got for a new team
funny ain't it? looks like Burke might have privately called him out like he did with Antropov and Toskala, which worked out wonderfully for the leafs. Antropov have regained whatever trade value he might have had before his awful slump. btw, leafs are better off trading him now. we could have had san jose's first rounder (Tyler Ennis) if he didn't block the move

leafscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Deal Sealer

Send a message via MSN to Deal Sealer
This reminds me when the Fan590, Don Landry in the morning made a spoof of him and the NTC5, where Kubina was asked to waive his NTC by Richard Peddie in Swiss Chalet, his response....

"Kubina will not waive no trade clause and would like to finish meal in the Chalet Swiss"

I would like to just get rid of him and let Strahlman play in his stead. Getrdone!

Deal Sealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Baldo Ronaldo

we could have had san jose's first rounder (Tyler Ennis) if he didn't block the move[/QUOTE]

And, what exactly would that give us? My point is that, for what is being offered, I think we are better off keeping him anyway. It is very important to remember what the real value of a 1st (and a low 1st at that) actually is. I've said it before but Cullen's article on the average value of a 1st should be mandatory reading at HF.

Baldo Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Deal Sealer

Send a message via MSN to Deal Sealer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo Ronaldo View Post
we could have had san jose's first rounder (Tyler Ennis) if he didn't block the move
And, what exactly would that give us? My point is that, for what is being offered, I think we are better off keeping him anyway. It is very important to remember what the real value of a 1st (and a low 1st at that) actually is. I've said it before but Cullen's article on the average value of a 1st should be mandatory reading at HF.[/QUOTE]

I agree i enjoyed reading Cullens article but really is that not common logic. 1st round pick is not always a sure thing! Granted I just want to be rid of his 5 million dollar contract. He should not have gotten more than 4.

Deal Sealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:39 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Kubina is not worth an extension nor is he a remotely close to a #1 dman. People throw around the term "#1 dman" much to easily around here.
Partially agree. On most teams he would not be #1, but I'm sure there are a few where he would be. But to say he's not remotely close is going a bit far. I'd say on the average team he'd be the #2 dman.

i would not sign Kubina to an extension...not because he's not good (read above) but because he doesn't really fit into the Leafs plan. If the leafs were currently further into its rebuilding and were a playoff team then I would try to sign him to a contract of 3 years worth around $4 mil per year.

Last edited by MeowLeafs: 02-23-2009 at 09:01 PM.
MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
teddygmr

this time of year, every comment allegedly from a General Manager must be taken with a big grain of salt. Its the "language of the deal"...
Kubina has played very well lately and if anything, his trade value is increasing and at its peak. If/when San Jose or Calgary or Boston or some other Cup contending team presents a GOOD offer to Burke, he can and will share it with Kubina and his agent and it is very possible that a trade can be made. There is a Domino effect, when one trade is made, another contender realizes that they must respond and there are very few quality dmen available.

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

sundin again?

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:17 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

why is hockeybuzz a credible source?

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 10:20 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
why is hockeybuzz a credible source?
Howard Berger is relatively credible. We'll see how it plays out, but it isn't Eklund related outside of the site.

Old
02-24-2009, 01:11 AM
houtan99

Berger is pretty credible, always has been imo... never seen him or remember him spreading any false information before...

houtan99 is offline   Reply With Quote