HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Am I the only one that thinks Burke is the wrong man for the job

Old
02-23-2009, 01:03 PM
MSP4LYFE*

vCash: 500
Were ****ed

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:06 PM
teamsundin

I've always thought Burke was the wrong man for the job, but for different reasons. I just look at what he 'built' in Vancouver. Then shudder.

teamsundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Azura

I've always thought he was the wrong man for the job. He hasn't changed my mind yet.

Azura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka13erle View Post
I've always thought Burke was the wrong man for the job, but for different reasons. I just look at what he 'built' in Vancouver. Then shudder.
whats wrong with his team in vancouver?

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:14 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i suppose you could say...

2 front liners and a starting goalie and we're contenders

trade:
kaberle for a front line center (was going to say briere 'til i noticed his contract - yuck!)

for picks:
antropov, ponikarovsky, moore, van ryn, finger (i wish)

sign:
nash backstrom boumeister

---- someone nash
blake stajan -----
hagman grabovsky kulemin

boumeister kubina
schenn white

backstrom
toskala

but:
is this really a long term plan ?

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:18 PM
heidmandl

Quote:
Originally Posted by horner View Post
I thought that he was in the mind set to rebuild
Iam getting the feeling that this is not the case
I get the feeling that his main goal next yr is to make the playoffs
not trading

Kaberle
Kubina
Antropov (signs a new contract)
etc

What the **** was this yr about anyways

Iam lossing faith

Get used to it. When you're around Brian Burke, life is pretty much about Brian Burke. He just operates day-to-day saying whatever he wants and it means whatever he wants it to mean. Now, next year he's going to be the "star" manager of Team USA at the Olympics and he'll probably take his US/Canadian passport carrying coach with him. So, next year will be a write off too. But he's never said he's always wanted to Manage Thee Maple leafs. He said things like "If your Catholic its the Vatican." What he has also said is he wanted to be in the same time zone of his various offspring and wanted to get his Vancouver born wife a job in Canadian jouirnalist (which she's not). But he never said his main priority is Life Nation. Life is about Brian.

heidmandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:18 PM
KingSundin

i think burke will do ok, but when I think of him, I keep thinking of the Mcdonald for Weight deal....

KingSundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:19 PM
heidmandl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
whats wrong with his team in vancouver?
Whats the deal with Vancouver. Why do they have Vancouver written across the front of their "Home" jersey.

heidmandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:23 PM
teamsundin

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidmandl View Post
Whats the deal with Vancouver. Why do they have Vancouver written across the front of their "Home" jersey.
To trick tourists into buying it thinking it has something to do with 2010.

teamsundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Green13

"Absolutely, and not only that, our orientation hasn't changed," Burke said. "When you leave this box tonight, if I get a call that will get us into the playoffs and not affect our long-range plan, I'm going to do it. We owe that to our fans and that's in our DNA anyway. But, those deals are not presenting themselves right now.

So relax. He's not going to screw this up and bring in rentals that will set us back. He said he'll do it if it doesn't set us back.

Green13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:22 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
On January 17, 1999 Burke pulled the trigger on the Bure trade sending to Florida RW Pavel Bure, D Bret Hedican, D Brad Ference and a 3rd round pick (Robert Fried a 6'3" 210 lb RW who just graduated from Harvard last season) and receiving in return D Ed Jovanovski, G Kevin Weekes, LW Dave Gagner, LW Mike Brown, and a 1st round pick in 2000 (Nathan Smith).

Recall some of Burkie's BS about that deal. Kevin Weekes was hailed by Burke as "The Goalie of the Future" (Burke trademark) but Weekes would not even be "The Goalie of a Full Season" (my trademark) as Burke would trade him within a year. In response to questions about why he would possibly want an aging (and apparently washed up) Dave Gagner Burke claimed that he absolutely insisted that Gagner be part of the deal and if he was not then according to Burkie... "it was deal breaker" (my note - Gagner was not resigned for the next season after doing virtually nothing in a Canucks jersey). To use a favourite Burkism, Burkie must have been labouring under a drug-induced fantasy if Gagne was the deal breaker.

Mike Brown (not this current one) was hailed as the second coming of Bob Probert (although one assumes without the drug convictions) but would not make it as a Probert or even a plug ugly enforcer as he was an unsigned free agent and is a career minor leaguer at best. The first round draft choice in the deal would be used by Burke to draft Nathan Smith - and he leads the NHL in... games not played.

While Bure is now out with what looks like career-ending knee injuries he did have some great years after leaving (led the NHL in goals) and Bret Hedican went to the Cup finals with Carolina and remains a very serviceable top four D-Man while Brad Ference has turned into that very rugged and mean crease clearing D-man with Phoenix that the Canucks lacked. The Canucks did have Jovo left from the deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post

Books generally consist of many more words. This is a well-researched and supported short article.
Did I miss something? You say that Hedican is still a top 4 defenseman, and that Brad Ference has turned into a rugged crease clearing Dman for phoenix? Out of curiosity, how many years ago did you write this "well researched and supported short article?"

I might not agree with your opinion, but it is very well written.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:38 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

this thread is ridiculous.

I thought it was a joke at first read.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:08 AM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Brian Burke Trivia Question for the Future

Who was GM of two teams who missed the playoffs in the same season. Of course it's Brian Burke with the Ducks and Leafs.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote