HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Millerís ankle a major concern for Sabres

Old
02-23-2009, 11:04 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

vCash: 500
Millerís ankle a major concern for Sabres

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/587569.html

Quote:
Pittsburgh goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury suffered what originally was termed a "mild'' ankle sprain last season. He was out from Dec. 7 until Feb. 28 and missed 36 games.

Sabres prospect Nick Eno, a sophomore at Bowling Green University, sprained his ankle Sept. 24 during a preseason practice. It was termed "day-to-day.'' He didn't come back until Jan. 9 and missed 20 games.

Columbus backup Pascal Leclaire hurt his ankle in preseason and finally opted for surgery last month after it failed to heal.

Also, from the Enroth thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Anyways, miller was at wegmens Sunday morning driving around one of those handicap shopping carts LOL. Gaustad was helping him shop. He had a Giant cast that practically went up to his knee. He looked frustrated as all hell, heh

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:06 AM
aceface33

Official update should be coming in the next hour or two. It's not panic time just yet.

Edit: In fact, reports are already coming from practice.

Vanek is skating, Enroth practicing, Miller watching in sweats from the stands.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:11 AM
OpethianSabre20

The news is looking grim to say the least, but if they don't make the playoffs, it won't be because of Lalime; it'll be because of the guys playing in front of him.

I still see Buffalo at the very least making it as the 8th seed because they are definitely better than the Rags and the Pens aren't making the playoffs; they've looked almost as bad as the Rags IMHO.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:12 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Vanek is skating, Enroth practicing, Miller watching in sweats from the stands.
I saw that - I'm curious to see what the Miller update is exactly. They said he "strolled out of the tunnel in sweats and took a seat on the Sabres' bench." So I'm wondering if he was able to walk out on his own without crutches or other assistance?

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Reddawg

I wonder if Mika Noronen is available?

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
I wonder if Mika Noronen is available?
For Portland?

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:22 AM
sabresfan129103

the season is finished, the sooner we all realize that the better.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
For Portland?
I don't know if he could start for Portland...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I figure Lalime will get 3 games to show if he can handle this, Enroth will get a look in a back to back, and if there's no chance either of them can get the job done we'll be trading for Manny Legace by next week. The season isn't over, but it certainly took a big blow on Saturday.

Old
02-23-2009, 11:35 AM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
The season is not finished yet . If the New Jersey Devils can handily win a division with Scott freaking Clemmensen in goal, then the Sabres can certainly snag a playoff spot.

Old
02-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Freezerburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20
The season is not finished yet . If the New Jersey Devils can handily win a division with Scott freaking Clemmensen in goal, then the Sabres can certainly snag a playoff spot.
Not to take anything away from Clemmensen, who has played very well, but a lot of that has to do with the system the team plays and their supporting cast of players.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:51 AM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
Not to take anything away from Clemmensen, who has played very well, but a lot of that has to do with the system the team plays and their supporting cast of players.
That is very true; they are playing very well in front of him. However, I feel like this team will still make the playoffs with relative ease if they do the same for Lalime. My point was that we should let this play out a bit before jumping of a cliff and saying that the season is done because Miller's going to be out for awhile.

Old
02-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Reddawg

Quote:
I was going to say the same thing, but then in the token research (couple of games) I did to support the statement, I found that New Jersey gives up more shots on goal than Buffalo does, so now I don't know what to think.

Old
02-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Megaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
I was going to say the same thing, but then in the token research (couple of games) I did to support the statement, I found that New Jersey gives up more shots on goal than Buffalo does, so now I don't know what to think.
Yeah, the Devils system isn't really as defensively oriented as it once was (although they're still one of the top defensive teams in the league). I also think that they play differently in front of Clemmensen than they do in front of Brodeur to an extent.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

While this won't be overly popular, there is a silver lining to this from my perspective.

Firstly, we're not a cup contender this year. The playoffs were a definite possibility, probability if healthy. We can compete with any team in the east, but winning in the playoffs when the games get tighter and more physical... it's just not going to happen this year.

With the current rash of injuries, I feel we will be firmly in the seller category come deadline. We should be able to dump some UFAs for picks and prospects to augment our already impressive farm system.

Now we can put all those J-Bo, Vinny, and Pronger questions to rest.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
While this won't be overly popular, there is a silver lining to this from my perspective.

Firstly, we're not a cup contender this year. The playoffs were a definite possibility, probability if healthy. We can compete with any team in the east, but winning in the playoffs when the games get tighter and more physical... it's just not going to happen this year.

With the current rash of injuries, I feel we will be firmly in the seller category come deadline. We should be able to dump some UFAs for picks and prospects to augment our already impressive farm system.

Now we can put all those J-Bo, Vinny, and Pronger questions to rest.

The problem with your silver lining scenario is the impact on the team's ST renewals and the loss of playoff revenue.

People don't usually base ST decisions on the health of the farm team.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The problem with your silver lining scenario is the impact on the team's ST renewals and the loss of playoff revenue.

People don't usually base ST decisions on the health of the farm team.
While I don't disagree with the ST renewal factor, as for a team progression, this is better in the long-run.

If we were a contender, DR might try to swing a deal for an impact player. The teams selling would want some combination of Myers, Butler, Weber, Gerbe, Kennedy, Ennis, Sekera, Paille, Stafford or Cmac. I don't want to see any of them moved for a temporary piece to improve our lukewarm shot at a cup this year.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:43 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
The key was that there offense stepped it up. In the 50 games since Brodeur got hurt, they scored 4+ in 21 of them. That's huge. We've done that 23 times all season.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Freezerburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull
Exactly. It is very clear that the directive of the team this year is to make the playoffs. Therefore any and all speculation/ideas/theorizing that I do is based off of that at a minimum. Blowing up the team and selling off all major UFA assets is simply not close to reality in any way. They will try to make the playoffs--with or without Miller.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:53 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
While I don't disagree with the ST renewal factor, as for a team progression, this is better in the long-run.
If we were a contender, DR might try to swing a deal for an impact player. The teams selling would want some combination of Myers, Butler, Weber, Gerbe, Kennedy, Ennis, Sekera, Paille, Stafford or Cmac. I don't want to see any of them moved for a temporary piece to improve our lukewarm shot at a cup this year.
No it isnt.

Losing revenue (potentially millions) is never good for this team. Thats what is used to pay the team they ice. I know this is Hockey's future, where prospects are the end all be all. But the vast majority of hockey fans buy tickets for the product being iced not the prospects coming up.

Some are already going to drop their season tickets due to the economy and some because season ticket prices are going up or a combo of both. Thats regardless of how the team does.

The team is making a big push with playoff ticket discounts right now to get ST renewals and keep the losses to a minimum. The main thrust of the letter they sent out was the need to raise prices to keep up with expenses. Gutting the roster would be foolish and would trigger even bigger losses of STH.

If they lose enough revenue they will alter their budget downward making many players unretainable anyway. Guys like Stafford, Mac, among others who are either RFAs or UFAs

Old
02-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
No it isnt.

Losing revenue (potentially millions) is never good for this team. Thats what is used to pay the team they ice. I know this is Hockey's future, where prospects are the end all be all. But the vast majority of hockey fans buy tickets for the product being iced not the prospects coming up.

Some are already going to drop their season tickets due to the economy and some because season ticket prices are going up or a combo of both. Thats regardless of how the team does.

The team is making a big push with playoff ticket discounts right now to get ST renewals and keep the losses to a minimum. The main thrust of the letter they sent out was the need to raise prices to keep up with expenses. Gutting the roster would be foolish and would trigger even bigger losses of STH.

If they lose enough revenue they will alter their budget downward making many players unretainable anyway. Guys like Stafford, Mac, among others who are either RFAs or UFAs
is there no waiting list anymore for season tickets? If there still is, why would they worry about keeping STHers when there is a line still waiting? I thought there was about a month ago... about 1,500... but I could be wrong.

The only thing they really lose is playoff revenue, which is huge.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:02 PM
joshjull

Quote:
is there no waiting list anymore for season tickets? If there still is, why would they worry about keeping STHers when there is a line still waiting? I thought there was about a month ago... about 1,500... but I could be wrong.

The only thing they really lose is playoff revenue, which is huge.
You're kidding right?

Old
02-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
You're kidding right?
I am not kidding. Is there not still a line? Call and find out. there was at some point this year as a coworker was interested. But I can't remember how long ago it was.

Its a simple question. I didn't state that there was a line, I am asking if there is one. and IF there is one, then if we lose 800 people that don't renew, there will be 800 others to pick up the seats.

If there is NOT a line, then ok, I see the point

Old
02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
aceface33

I think people in line wouldn't buy tickets either. I'd love to be wrong but my feeling is if we tank the rest of the year you're going to see huge numbers of empty seats early next year.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I think people in line wouldn't buy tickets either. I'd love to be wrong but my feeling is if we tank the rest of the year you're going to see huge numbers of empty seats early next year.
I agree to some extent. But i don't think it will be from lack of STHers, it will be from the box office seats that they don't sell. i.E. even more empty seats against toronto because nobody wants to pay 400+ for a pair int he 100 level preferred.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Megaera

Quote:
Its a simple question. I didn't state that there was a line, I am asking if there is one. and IF there is one, then if we lose 800 people that don't renew, there will be 800 others to pick up the seats.
There is a waiting list but that doesn't mean you want to lose any of your current season ticket holders, particularly in a tough economic climate. You don't want to alienate your core fanbase, waiting list or no.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote