HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thanks for everything, Coach Renney

Old
02-23-2009, 04:16 PM
SPG

vCash: 500
Thanks for some fun years, Mr. Renney.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Fletch

I wasn't the biggest Renney supporter out there, but I can't say I disliked the guy, nor can I say that I believe he deserved this (by this I mean his team giving up on him). I've always thought that his greatest asset is in analyzing the game and going through the X's and O's. Hopefully there's a role within the organization that will enable him to best utilize his skills as he does deserve that.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:29 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

As I said in many more words in the stickied thread:

Although I'm happy with the move, I thank TR for the many good things that he brought us for the last four years. His time was up as coach, but I hope we retain him in some player development capacity. And whether he stays or goes, I wish him good luck.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:39 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
thank you renney for instilling hard work into the players and for getting rid of the country club atmosphere. good luck to your next job.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:50 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Tom, you are a nice guy and very cerebarl, but I will never forgive you for having Jagr, Toots and Girardi on the ice for the final mins of Game 5 in 2007. Why a guy who never kills penalties (Jagr) was out there on the ice 6-on-5 before the icing in a one-goal game is beyond me.

But you were lucky enough to have a franchise goalie and one of the best players in NHL history and three-straight 90-point seasons. You had some part in the resurgence and for that I thank you.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Legs Feed the Wolf

thanks coach

Legs Feed the Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:22 PM
WheresBarnaby

Sucks to see him go, this team got him fired plain and simple.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I'm surprised he was completely dismissed. I thought he would be good as an assistant coach but not head coach.

Am I the only one that will miss Pearn's insightful interviews?

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:43 PM
John Torturella

There is no doubt that Renney is a great coach and has vast hockey knowledge. Its just unfortunate that his team seemingly quit on him. Its not really his fault just a fact of sports. I dont think he will be unemployed too long. Best of luck to Tom, where ever he ends up he will probably beat us.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
I'm surprised he was completely dismissed. I thought he would be good as an assistant coach but not head coach.
Why would he agree to take an assistant coaching position?

02-23-2009, 05:46 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Tom, you are a nice guy and very cerebarl, but I will never forgive you for having Jagr, Toots and Girardi on the ice for the final mins of Game 5 in 2007. Why a guy who never kills penalties (Jagr) was out there on the ice 6-on-5 before the icing in a one-goal game is beyond me.

But you were lucky enough to have a franchise goalie and one of the best players in NHL history and three-straight 90-point seasons. You had some part in the resurgence and for that I thank you.
give me a break..cant you give the guy some freaking credit? your basically saying he was LUCKY to have the roster he was handed to in 05? aside from jagr he took a bunch of no names and installed a new atmeosphere into a franchise that forgot what winning meant. i agree this move had to be made, but give me a break renney played much more than "some part" in this teams resurgence

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:53 PM
hlundqvist30*

A famous saying in history is that "The starter of a revolution does not get to see its result." This very much applies to Renney. Renney might not literally win the cup as the coach of the Rangers, but he sure as hell will be a big part of it if and when we do win one. He brought us out of one of the darkest periods in the history of this franchise. He took a team that was projected to get a lottery pick to the playoffs, and then take them there 2 more seasons after that. It was time for Renney to go. There is no doubt about that. He accomplished as much as he was going to with this team, and that's perfectly fine. I do not have a personal hate for Renney. While I think he had a distorted view of certain things, I also realize that he was far from the worst coach in the NHL. Renney brought us to where we are now. Unfortunately he reached his peak. Someone else is going to have to take us to the next level. Thank you for developing our young talent so well and getting us back to respectability, Tom.

Perry Pearn can go **** himself.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:57 PM
levski87

Thanks Tom, it was a good run while it lasted.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:08 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
the times i have met him, coach renney was a person who exemplified class and that is what this organization is all about. he instilled that and brought winning back here after 7 years and no playoffs. he wasnt given much this year but overall he did a pretty good job in his tenure as head coach.. thank you tom

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
NYRANGERSfan0922

Thanks Tom, It is a credit to you how you helped pull this team out of the gutter and brought us back to respectability!

Pierre McGuire made a great point this afternoon on Mike Francesca regarding Tom's involvement with this teams personel. He mentioned that Tom had little to no opinion in the aquisitions of our recent FA and the signings. More credit to Tom on this one. He put the best he could out there with the product Sather gave.

NYRANGERSfan0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:50 PM
BklyNYR4Life

He will be missed. Thanks Tom!

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:01 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by peantbuttapruchatime View Post
give me a break..cant you give the guy some freaking credit? your basically saying he was LUCKY to have the roster he was handed to in 05? aside from jagr he took a bunch of no names and installed a new atmeosphere into a franchise that forgot what winning meant. i agree this move had to be made, but give me a break renney played much more than "some part" in this teams resurgence

I have to laugh at this one

1) "No names", huh?: Nylander, Straka, Rucinsky, Jagr, Rucchin, (later Sykora). 6 of the top 7 forwards were 29 or older. same with the defense. Nobody expected Jagr to catch fire like he did, so I guess I have to credit Renney for making the tough decision of matching his best playmaker with his best goal scorer. How did he ever come up with that idea?

2) What winning atmosphere did Renney "install"? You are saying the team won because of Renney. The team started winning because of Jagr and Lundqvist. Do you want me to post game film and boxscores from that season to prove it?

I said he deserves SOME credit for HELPING turn the team around as in he was a stable influence and very good with the media and dealt with distractions accordingly. But by no means was he a great tactician or motivator. You make it seem like Renney waltzed into MSG and Jagr, Nylander, Straka and Lundqvist all of a sudden learned how to win.

His defensive system in 2006 helped minimize shots against from the previous season (2004) by a whopping 0.4 shots a game (29.2 in 2004 - 28.8 in 2006) but the save pct in 2004 was .896 to .911 in 2006 -- a HUGE difference.

So please answer me: What did Renney do that made the team win aside from penciling "L-U-N-D-Q-V-I-S-T" and "J-A-G-R" into the lineup card every night?

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Speedtrials

Thanks Tom for all your hard work, class, and effort. Most importantly thanks for bringing the franchise back to respectability.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Thank you Tom for bringing a sense of class and respect to this franchise. He was just as instrumental as Jagr and Hank were to bringing this team back to from a laughing stock, and making them respectable again. I hope he stays in the organization in some capacity because he truly is a knowledgeable and classy individual. Best of luck Tom.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:11 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
the times i have met him, coach renney was a person who exemplified class and that is what this organization is all about. he instilled that and brought winning back here after 7 years and no playoffs. he wasnt given much this year but overall he did a pretty good job in his tenure as head coach.. thank you tom
How can you write that and have such a classless avatar aimed the same guy you are praising?

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:11 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Tom is a true professional and a credit to every aspect and vision that embodies being a Ranger.

We should hope he stays with this organization in some capacity.

There is no doubt in my mind that this franchise will be much worse off in the future without him.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:19 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I have to give the guy his props. He got your team out of the gutter (much to my dismay!) and gave the Devils fits last year. Good coach, and a seemingly good guy as well.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:22 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I think Renney is a great team builder. He took us as far as he could go. But it's time for a change. I wish we could keep him in the front office or player development. He is good at that. Thanks for everything Renney. You restored some pride and credibility and brought back playoff hockey to the Garden which stunk of Elephant crap every spring. That cannot go unsaid.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Fataldogg

He'll definitely be missed by me. A class act. Showed respect, honor, and humility in what is is to be a Ranger. He showed plenty of perseverance and confidence over the past three seasons. Backed up his players (with the rare exception of Prucha) and was one of the reasons for bringing Playoff hockey back to the Garden. I'll definitely miss him as our head coach.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:34 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I have to laugh at this one

1) "No names", huh?: Nylander, Straka, Rucinsky, Jagr, Rucchin, (later Sykora). 6 of the top 7 forwards were 29 or older. same with the defense. Nobody expected Jagr to catch fire like he did, so I guess I have to credit Renney for making the tough decision of matching his best playmaker with his best goal scorer. How did he ever come up with that idea?

2) What winning atmosphere did Renney "install"? You are saying the team won because of Renney. The team started winning because of Jagr and Lundqvist. Do you want me to post game film and boxscores from that season to prove it?

I said he deserves SOME credit for HELPING turn the team around as in he was a stable influence and very good with the media and dealt with distractions accordingly. But by no means was he a great tactician or motivator. You make it seem like Renney waltzed into MSG and Jagr, Nylander, Straka and Lundqvist all of a sudden learned how to win.

His defensive system in 2006 helped minimize shots against from the previous season (2004) by a whopping 0.4 shots a game (29.2 in 2004 - 28.8 in 2006) but the save pct in 2004 was .896 to .911 in 2006 -- a HUGE difference.

So please answer me: What did Renney do that made the team win aside from penciling "L-U-N-D-Q-V-I-S-T" and "J-A-G-R" into the lineup card every night?
1-you make it out that everyone aside from jagr were all star players in their primes ..ruchin who you make out to be an amazing player had 43 points the season before the lockout...in strakas last season in the NHL before the lockout he had a whopping 6 goals for 14 points...the last time nylander was in the NHL in 03-04 he scored 17 goals then bounced around the czech republic doing virtually nothing...you make it out like these names were 40 goal scorers ...every major sports media didnt have us in bottom 5 (many which rated us 30th) for no reason

2-so your telling me that for all the years the rangers missed the playoffs they never had any talent on a team. listen, obviously i realize that jagr and lundqvist were HUGE and of course we wouldn't have made it without them, but a team cant be carried by 1 superstar and good goalie, renney had to work with kids who had barley any NHL experience and make them believe that they could be part of something big. this team knew nothing but losing for so many years, and renney was a major part of changing the culture of the franchise

so to answer your question aside from writing jagr and henriks name with a pencil, the guy took every other player on the roster (many with little NHL success and experience) and helped to turn them into a playoff team

...to sum it up, let me reiterate - i think this is the right move ..i just dont believe you give renney enough credit

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote