HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miller out indefinitely / Ruff has confidence in Lalime

Old
02-23-2009, 12:14 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Miller out indefinitely / Ruff has confidence in Lalime

http://www.wgr550.com/Miller-Out-Indefinitely/3901555

Quote:
Sabres Coach Lindy Ruff did not have much of an update on goalie Ryan Miller after Monday's practice at the H.S.B.C. Arena. Ruff said that Miller is out indefinitely.
"The update is that he has an ankle sprain. He'll be out indefinitely. There really is no more than that. An ankle sprain takes time. You don't know how much time it's going to take."

Miller himself said that he has no time-table for a return to the crease. He wears a walking boot some of the time.
Not much but thats the update

-------------------

Quote:
Coach Ruff does have confidence in LaLime.
"Expectations are that he is going to play well for us. The only example I can give you is that he played well last year with a work-load. He played well through training camp with a work-load. I said a month ago that it's tough to be a back-up. It's tough stepping in every 6th or 7th game. He knows now that he's playing."

Last edited by joshjull: 02-23-2009 at 12:21 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Enroth: simply.enfuego

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Shmuffalo
It's SAMSON, bozo.

season... ugh

Shmuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 12:27 PM
aceface33

Hate to be pessimitic, but anyone else read this as "he's out for the year but we don't want to say it."? Going to your point in the other thread about ticket renewals josh.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 01:59 PM
BisonFlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Hate to be pessimitic, but anyone else read this as "he's out for the year but we don't want to say it."? Going to your point in the other thread about ticket renewals josh.
I don't think that is what he is saying. I think he was telling the truth in that they have no clue to how long he is going to be out. Of course he is going to give Lalime a boost by saying he is confident he can handle the job. What other choices does he have?

By the way: Would you guys be interested in Osgood now? J/K.

BisonFlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Kruschiki

I think Lalime at least should get the benefit of the doubt.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Megaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonFlay View Post
I don't think that is what he is saying. I think he was telling the truth in that they have no clue to how long he is going to be out.
I agree. Ankle sprains are just totally unpredictable.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaera View Post
I agree. Ankle sprains are just totally unpredictable.
I agree. They really have no idea how long he will be out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooey View Post
I think Lalime at least should get the benefit of the doubt.

Same here. He just has to be solid not Miller for the team to have a chance. Now its on Ruff to get the team to step up their play defensively.

Old
02-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
yes, i read it that way too

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Ddubs

After hearing his exact words, I think we might not see Miller till the playoffs/tee off time.

Ddubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:25 PM
sabresfan129103

i'm glad Lindy has confidence in him, b/c I think he is the only one.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post

make that two. I'm confident that Lalime can hold down the fort if the team plays well in front of him. He's not going to steal us any points, and the rest of the team knows that, so they are going to have to bring it for 60 minutes every night.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Pass McGass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Why?

He went 16-12-2 last year with a young Chicago team that struggled defensively, and while he didn't put up the best numbers (2.82 GAA and .897SV%), he won some games. Backup goaltenders never play well in Buffalo, and it's because they only play 1 out of 8 or 9 games. I'm not overly optimistic that he's going to carry this team on his back and play like a hero, but I'm hoping to see them play that defense-first system that they were so good at in the beginning of the year, and he'll be fine in that kind of system. Even "Holes-McGee" T-bo would have done okay in that situation.

Pass McGass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:43 PM
DrtyLrry

Of course Lindy would say that. Do you really think he would have said anything else?

A trade has to be made if Miller is going to be out for a lengthy time.

They're too close to the playoffs to rely on any of the guys they got

DrtyLrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Clock

Lalime's got my full support.

It's time for everyone in front of him to step up defensively, though. This is obviously a crucial point in our playoff hopes.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 02:53 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

The TBN blog with a "no real update" update:

Quote:
The media waited nearly an hour after practice Monday before hearing from Lindy Ruff, Ryan Miller and other players as the team went into a video session. Hasn't happened all season that way. Hmmm.

Anyway, there's not much new on Miller. Ruff said his No. 1 goalie will be out "indefinitely" and refused to get into timetables. Miller said "It's a little better. Some of the swelling is down and it didn't have a lot to begin with so that's good. It's a little achy and it's one of those things you have to see how it reacts."
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/

The Miller quote wasn't in the WGR link...it seems like he's trying to keep positive about it, FWIW.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 03:14 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass McGass View Post
Why?

He went 16-12-2 last year with a young Chicago team that struggled defensively, and while he didn't put up the best numbers (2.82 GAA and .897SV%), he won some games. Backup goaltenders never play well in Buffalo, and it's because they only play 1 out of 8 or 9 games. I'm not overly optimistic that he's going to carry this team on his back and play like a hero, but I'm hoping to see them play that defense-first system that they were so good at in the beginning of the year, and he'll be fine in that kind of system. Even "Holes-McGee" T-bo would have done okay in that situation.
believe me, nothing would make me happier then to be proven wrong in this situation. I think this team (for the most part) lives and dies by how miller plays and if we can't get the same standard from lalime we're in trouble.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:03 PM
SabresCanScore

I'm confident that Lalime can be decent if you give him constant starts, Not up there with Miller obviously but I think that starting all the time from now on will improve his game and give the rest of a team the chance to win,

I think it's now all on the rest of the team if they want to step up and put in the effort to win every night. No more 1 or 2 period performances, where Miller could steal games for when they don't show up.

SabresCanScore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Vito_81

Maybe it's just me being optimistic and my heart trying to convince my brain that everything will work out.

But I have a good feeling that Lalime will be solid for us. On top of that I think the rest of the team will step it up with Miller out and the Sabres will continue to battle for playoff positioning. As long as Miller is back by mid-March, everything should be fine.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:15 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Maybe it's just me being optimistic and my heart trying to convince my brain that everything will work out.

But I have a good feeling that Lalime will be solid for us. On top of that I think the rest of the team will step it up with Miller out and the Sabres will continue to battle for playoff positioning. As long as Miller is back by mid-March, everything should be fine.

I'm hoping the same thing (crosses fingers + toes)

Old
02-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Goose08

This whole situation might (might...) just be enough motivation to get this team to start showing up every night and playing as well as we know they can. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but someone has to keep to faith

Goose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 04:49 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
I have confidence in Lalime, When the sabres made the playoffs the year back from the lock out Biron had to start some games when Miller broke his thumb and Lalime is almost as solid as marty perhaps even smarter. I think he will do just fine. I am on the Lalime Bandwagon, he plays with more passion than 95 percent of the team

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:07 PM
whiplash

Sprained ankles SUCK. There are so many determining factors that go into how bad it is and how long it will take to heal. I had one a few years ago from street hockey and I was back playing hockey (including ice) in 3 days, last summer I sprained it playing football and it was so bad I couldn't even go to work for 6 days, let alone play any football for a month (although I am nowhere near as in shape as a real athlete and I wasn't on a physical therapy program)

As for what Miller said about the swelling, that means jack **** sometimes and less swelling can be even worse, though usually it's because you let it go too long before getting it looked at and obviously that isn't the case here.

I'm all for Lalime, though. Back in the Hitz 2002 tournament days, before I hated Ottawa, I used to use them as a backup team if someone else was Buffalo and he was their goalie. If he's half as good at real hockey as I was at that game, we'll be in good shape

whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:10 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Are you people ****ing nuts? What gives you the idea that this team will "ALL OF A SUDDEN" snap out of relying wholly on the netminder to win them games?

Have we won any games this year despite Miller? A resounding "no" would be the response. He has had poor games for sure, but those aren't games we win.

There's the outside chance that this incident brings them together and elevates their game, but that's slim.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Vito_81

Perhaps a postive for Miller in this situation is his small frame. The ankle only has to be able to support 160lbs. I'm no doctor, but maybe it's easier for a lighter person to recover from a sprain as opposed to a person carring more weight. Less weight would equal less pressure on the ankle.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote