HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please Help Induct Reggie Leach into the HoF

Old
02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

vCash: 500
Please Help Induct Reggie Leach into the HoF

Hey guys, please sign this online petition to help induct one of the best Flyers of all time into the Hall of Fame, Reggie "The Rifle" Leach.

http://www.petitiononline. com/TheRifle/petition.html

Please sign and help get this great hockey player, and even better human being, into the Hall of Fame where he belongs.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 07:51 PM
John Flyers Fan

Reggie had some great years for the Flyers, but he's not deserving of the Hall of Fame.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 06:30 AM
XS Chop

Those great years were pretty incredible though. 61 goals, 50 goals, 45 goals, 30+ 3 times. Don't forget the 19 goals in 16 playoff games in '75-76, his Conn Smyth year. On a cup winning team. Part of the 35 game unbeaten team in '79-'80. Definitely one of the elite snipers of the 70's. If Carter comes close to matching what Leach did we'd all want him in The Hall.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:15 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Reggie had some great years for the Flyers, but he's not deserving of the Hall of Fame.
Help get him in, dont debase his chances.
FAIL

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 07:42 AM
chaosof99*

Torn here.
For one, I think Reggie Leach was an incredible player and personally I think he should be in the Hall.
On the other hand, I think that online petitions are worthless and also I'm not sure if players should be inducted based on petitions because this could lead to the same crap we saw in this years All-Star ballot.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 09:57 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
Those great years were pretty incredible though. 61 goals, 50 goals, 45 goals, 30+ 3 times. Don't forget the 19 goals in 16 playoff games in '75-76, his Conn Smyth year. On a cup winning team. Part of the 35 game unbeaten team in '79-'80. Definitely one of the elite snipers of the 70's. If Carter comes close to matching what Leach did we'd all want him in The Hall.
Carter isn't a one dimensional player.

There are other former Flyers that would have to go in long before Leach: (in no particular order) MacLeish, Lindros, LeClair, Howe, Desjardins, Propp, Tocchet, Brind'amour just to name a few.

Old
02-12-2009, 10:23 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1336
Quote:

There are other former Flyers that would have to go in long before Leach: (in no particular order) MacLeish, Lindros, LeClair, Howe, Desjardins, Propp, Tocchet, Brind'amour just to name a few.
Shero not in the Hall speaks volumes.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 05:09 PM
XS Chop

Quote:

I'd say at least 85% of the members of this board really never saw Leach play regularly, I think it's a little unfair to imply that he was one dimensional without qualifying as to why. Granted, I was very young watching him play and you tend to see the good and not the bad at that age but I don't remember any significant reasons to call him one dimensional. He racked up plenty of assists every year. He was +53, +73, +40 and at least a plus player every year but one (-3) with the Flyers. Say what you want about the relevance of that stat and who he played with but no one puts up absurd +/- numbers like that if they're not covering their own end pretty well. They started recording that stat (I think) in '67, since then the only forwards with higher than 73 are Gretsky, Lafleur, Shutt, Clarke, Trottier, Kurri and Barber, pretty good company.

I'd love to see all of the players on your list in the Hall. I think the only ones I'd personally vote in before Leach though are MacLeish, Howe and maybe LeClair.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2009, 10:42 PM
panayiotis

get serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodILoveHockey View Post
Hey guys, please sign this online petition to help induct one of the best Flyers of all time into the Hall of Fame, Reggie "The Rifle" Leach.

http://www.petitiononline. com/TheRifle/petition.html

Please sign and help get this great hockey player, and even better human being, into the Hall of Fame where he belongs.

I saw Reggie play. Not a hall of famer. Definately a pure sniper. Too much booze..... Clarke and Barber , Parent and Shero only legit hall of famers on the 70s team.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:44 AM
mikedifr

Quote:

Howe, Propp and eventually Lindros should all be in there in my opinion.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 01:18 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
I'd say at least 85% of the members of this board really never saw Leach play regularly, I think it's a little unfair to imply that he was one dimensional without qualifying as to why. Granted, I was very young watching him play and you tend to see the good and not the bad at that age but I don't remember any significant reasons to call him one dimensional. He racked up plenty of assists every year. He was +53, +73, +40 and at least a plus player every year but one (-3) with the Flyers. Say what you want about the relevance of that stat and who he played with but no one puts up absurd +/- numbers like that if they're not covering their own end pretty well. They started recording that stat (I think) in '67, since then the only forwards with higher than 73 are Gretsky, Lafleur, Shutt, Clarke, Trottier, Kurri and Barber, pretty good company.
Leach can that all those wonderful +'s to playing with Clarke.

The two years prior to coming to play with the Flyers and Clarke, Leach was a (-41) and a (-61).

He was a one-dimensional player, but it was a great dimension, and he played with two excellent all-around players that could cover for his weaknesses.

Old
02-13-2009, 05:18 PM
lancer247

Quote:

leclaire wasn't one dimensional and what numbers did he put up before and after lindros.

did lindros do enough for a long enough period of time? was he ever a 50 goals scorer? how many times a 100 pt player? was he a great leader? i know injuries took their toll but do his numbers warrant HoF?

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 03:29 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
leclaire wasn't one dimensional and what numbers did he put up before and after lindros.

did lindros do enough for a long enough period of time? was he ever a 50 goals scorer? how many times a 100 pt player? was he a great leader? i know injuries took their toll but do his numbers warrant HoF?
I'm not saying that I would put all those players in the HoF, just that they are more deserving than Leach.

IMO

Howe should be an absolute lock, its a joke he isn't in already.

Propp should also be in, but likely never will.

I didn't think Lindros deserved induction. Then they put Neely in. Lindros was twice the player Neely was. With Neely's induction, Lindros should go.

I'd say no for the rest of the players.

Old
02-15-2009, 03:53 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Shero not in the Hall speaks volumes.
Exactly.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 07:32 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
If Leach was on Toronto or Montreal he'd get in.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2009, 08:46 AM
lancer247

Quote:
I'm not saying that I would put all those players in the HoF, just that they are more deserving than Leach.

IMO

Howe should be an absolute lock, its a joke he isn't in already.

Propp should also be in, but likely never will.

I didn't think Lindros deserved induction. Then they put Neely in. Lindros was twice the player Neely was. With Neely's induction, Lindros should go.

I'd say no for the rest of the players.
i didn't realize neely got the induction, in that case i would agree with you. also, if neely got in then tim kerr and maybe tocchet deserve to get in.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2009, 04:29 PM
hockeyrulez99

Put Reggie in the Hockey Hall of Fame!!!

I am a 42 year old woman who has been watching hockey all my life. I really believe that I was conceived during a hockey game. My mom is upwards of 70 and begged me to do this for both of us as she does not have a computer. We watched hockey together from as early as I can remember. I very distintly remember Reggie and what an incredible hockey player he was. The Flyers had an amazing team, although a touch rough, and he deserves to be hailed as one of the great players from our hockey past. I, as well as my beautiful mother, definitely believe he belongs in the Hockey Hall of Fame!! Just do it, please?? Thank you for your time!

hockeyrulez99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:10 PM
panayiotis

crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
If Leach was on Toronto or Montreal he'd get in.
The bottle is the reason Reggie did not make the Hall.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote