HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Am I the only one that likes Nigel Dawes?

Old
02-23-2009, 06:28 PM
McMonster

vCash: 500

I always see people on these boards wanting to trade him and some people want him scratched all the time. The guy behind my seats at MSG absolutely despises him and constantly heckles him for some reason. Even when he is playing well.

I think he is a pretty good player. He has an awesome shot, he scores goals and works pretty hard IMO.

I remember last year down the stretch he was AWESOME (especially against the Devils). It seems that some people on here forgot about that.

I expect him to go on a tear for these remaining 25 games or so.

Nigel Dawes...

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Nope. I like him hes such a great player, hes smart with the puck.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Hemlawk86

no.

I like him too. He needs more ice time.

Hemlawk86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalkinFan71 View Post
Seems like it. He just hasn't gotten a chance. People might say that with Tortorella, he'll get his chance, but after watching him float around constantly this year, it's been hard to not want him traded.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
i think hes a good player with a very sneaky shot.. i like the way he plays, just needs to play better in his own zone

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Gresch04

The classic Dawes play in my mind is the 1-0 loss to Boston where he misplays a pass along the boards and, because he's afraid to get hit, loses the puck to the D-man who turns it into a goal.

He has a good shot, is a fair passer (sometimes a bad passer - the guy doesn't have the soft hands for dishing the puck), is a bit more physical than I expected in trying to hit others but doesn't give up the body and take a big hit (like Prucha) to make a play.

So at the end of the day he's a decent 3rd line guy if he show tenacity on every shift.

Gresch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I think he's a 20-20 guy under proper conditions. I like his effort and enthusiasm as well.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Chimp

That's Dawes for you. A fairly good wrist shot. He works hard and tries to turn things good, but the big flaw in his game is his defensive play. Many more times than once has his screwups resulted in a goal against. Too many times has he committed to peewee mistakes in covering his zone in our end.

He has to learn how to handle himself when we don't have the puck and he has to play it smarter when he has it, or he should be a healthy scratch on more than one occasion.

In his defense, he is young, so he might develop his flaws and become better at what he's good at. But as it looks now, he's a fringe 2nd/ 3rd line winger. The problem is, he isn't good enough at the stuff you have to be good at to play 3rd line.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

I don't mind him. I like him more than Voros, but less than Korpedo. I think if a young player gets the boot it's Nigel.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Bury Your Head

Nope, I like him, I think he looks like a chocolate teddy graham.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:44 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

He has some skills, but he's incredibly inconsistent. He has the potential to be a 20-20 guy in this league, but I doubt he ever will be. He might be a journeyman guy, maybe he'll be a Jason Krog-type, dominate in the A or something.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:54 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
He has some skills, but he's incredibly inconsistent. He has the potential to be a 20-20 guy in this league, but I doubt he ever will be. He might be a journeyman guy, maybe he'll be a Jason Krog-type, dominate in the A or something.
Bingo Bango... that 20-20 potential is about it. Hes not horrible, he just needs consistency and the fact that its between him and Prucha doesn't help anything.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Levitate

I kinda like him, but I think he needs to work a lot harder at getting his game going at the NHL level. He's got a great shot and nice hands, but can't buy himself the time he needs to use them at this level. If he can work on that, he could be a pretty dangerous scorer

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
NYRANGERSfan0922

I am a fan of Dawes but I am not a fan of how he has been used. We can say that for practically every foward on this team. He need more ice time and hopefully Torts can utilize this guy in his system effectively. Who knows, Dawes could probably be our Gionta. Small guy, very mobile with the puck, finds the open man and doesnt hesitate to shoot the puck. He already has many of these qualities I think the change will be better for alot of these guys!

NYRANGERSfan0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:09 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

I like Dawes. I think he's this year's Ryan Callahan. Last year Callahan (in his first full year) struggled after returning from injury but turned it on late in the season after a stint in Hartford. This year Callahan has been one of our most consistent forwards.

Dawes never got sent down, but he's played pretty well of late (in his first full year). Hopefully he'll continue playing well and do so consistently next year.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:16 PM
NYRANGERSfan0922

That needs to ne considered as well. This is Dawes' first full season. A first full season where prior to it, he was in the locker room with Jagr, Shanahan, etc...

The team had a makeover to such an extent and the young guys like Dawes are trying to do the best they can given that.

Also under Renney, these guys were constantly being juggled in and out of different line combinations. They were being dressed than not dressed, than Prucha is brought up then brought down. We have seen Anisimov, Potter, Moore and also juggled Rissmiller and Fritshe early in the season. Mean while, no consistent chemistry was or can be made between our "leaders" (Gomez, Drury, Naslund, Redden, etc.....)

This was definately a long crash course for our youngsters. Credit is well deserved!

NYRANGERSfan0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:18 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

I've always liked Nigel. I hope he can get better and maintain some consistency...

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPAULxMARAx View Post
I've always liked Nigel. I hope he can get better and maintain some consistency...

I like him too but I think he is a smaller player that they will move out to get bigger on the wing. Same with Prucha

I expect both moved at the deadline but they should get something solid in return cause he is talented

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Jimmy Collins

Send a message via AIM to Jimmy Collins
prucha > dawes

Jimmy Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

I like Nigel. I think Dawes does really well if he happens to find himself in the exact right situation. I still say that him toasting Chris Pronger is one of the best moments of this season.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:44 PM
TrampsLikeUs

Send a message via AIM to TrampsLikeUs
I expressed my feelings about Dawes in the Calgary trade rumor thread. I think many people on this site are going to be really surprised in a few years when they realize that Nigel Dawes is a consistent 20 goal scorer in the Nhl. This kid has put the puck in the net at every level of play, and was killer down the stretch last year. As people have said, its his first full season. He's always gonna be streaky, but he's gonna score some goals in this league. I don't think its a huge stretch to see him becoming a Gionta style player.

TrampsLikeUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Fletch

I've become less of a fan this season. I think he's been pretty lazy on both ends of the ice all season. I question his decision-making with the puck, especially in the offensze zone. I think he has a really good shot and good hands and he should be a 20 goal scorer right now, but at the same time, on most nights, he shouldn't even be in the lineup. Renney did right by him all season - gave him the needed benchings and gave him the opportunities - but on too many nights, he's invisible and that's a problem.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:55 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I like him. Give him more ice time. If Torts is as offense-oriented as reported, then he should get some good use out of Dawes. I would like to see Dawes play with Zherdev too. Dawes is a shooter. He is also a great passer. Zherdev is a passer. He is also a great shooter.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Unk

I'm a fan of his, but his play this season, has for the most part made it a difficult job. It's still only his second season and he could gain consistancy as he matures and maybe as he's no longer taking part of a train wreck.

I just hope Sather doesn't do something brash and trade him before we get a chance to see if he's the real deal.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Blueblood 2

I like him. He is the type of guy the Rangers historically give up on because they failed to utilize and develop him properly. Torts will be a godsend for this kid if he has the maturity to listen. He is a bonafied sniper in the making. Torts will get the best out of him or bury him trying.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote