HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First hockey skates for my son

Old
02-16-2009, 04:01 PM
vyktor

vCash: 500
First hockey skates for my son

My son is about to turn 4 so he can start hockey. He's been skating for about a year now, but the rink we go to only rents figure skates in his size, so he's been using those as rental was included in the price of admission. A friend gave me his son's old pair of hockey skates they're the right size but my son can barely stand on them on the ice. There seems to be a lot of rocker curve, if I sit them on a flat surface only about 1"-1 1/4" of the blade makes contact. and they are a ***** to lace tighten.

One friend recommended either softec skates or similar with a soft boots that would be more comfortable and easier to tighten (he said the blades were flatter with less rocker than regular hockey skates too) Another guy said he used Hot Blade skates that are rigid kinda like ski boots with similar fasteners and adjust to a couple different sizes.

Any suggestions recommendations?

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 04:17 PM
raganblink

I'd wait for RBK's new youth skate to come out for next season (Mid April on this product I believe). Pretty much they have 3 sizes, that will have an adjustable toe-box, so that the kid can get alot of use out of them. They will be great for youth hockey or skating in general.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 06:28 PM
spjon25

I would recommend a Play It Again Sports if they have one around you. I know the one by my house has skates that are hardly used at all because some parents will buy their kids new skates every year for like a Pee Wee (4-5 yr olds) league.

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Free Probie

Spend the $ 70 bucks and buy a set of new skates. Whatever brand fits them the best. DO NOT BUY soft or comfort skates, your only setting the kid up for unrealistic feel vs. performance. My son loved his Bauer Vapors & my daughter is sold on her CCM's. Both kids love the game and skate any chance they get. I am a mini mite league director and put 70 plus kids thru our program each year, the most important advice I give parents is not to skimp on skates. That doesn't mean you have to spend the long buck, but for around $75 you can get a great pair.

Free Probie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Probie View Post
Spend the $ 70 bucks and buy a set of new skates. Whatever brand fits them the best. DO NOT BUY soft or comfort skates, your only setting the kid up for unrealistic feel vs. performance. My son loved his Bauer Vapors & my daughter is sold on her CCM's. Both kids love the game and skate any chance they get. I am a mini mite league director and put 70 plus kids thru our program each year, the most important advice I give parents is not to skimp on skates. That doesn't mean you have to spend the long buck, but for around $75 you can get a great pair.

I second that! Plus, it better to get them at a place where you can get them fitted. Once you know the exact skate and the width, then you can try and go find them cheaper on the next pair.

But if you purchase a pair that will not allow your child to lean in and use the inside edges, then you invested in a pair of skates that will only hinder his development.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:05 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
The rocker is good- that's supposed to be there. It's quite difficult to make the transition from figure skates to hockey skates, but he has to make it. It will really help with turning and mobility, very important in hockey. And laces are much better then straps, they don't give out in the middle of play. However, you'll have to tighten his skates for the first few years to get them tight enough. If that's really an issue, buy a lace tightener.

If those skates are a decent pair and in his size, go with them. If it's really a problem, you can get the sharpener to flatten it out some.

By the way, you must must must keep them sharpened. It's critical for him learning his edges and skating well. He probably won't know that so far, rental skates are notoriously bad in terms of sharpening.

But don't get your kid soft boot recreational skates, none of that crap. Regular hockey skates offer better protection and will help him learn how to skate better. He's going to have to learn it sometime, better sooner then later.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2009, 09:40 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
I first bought used skates for my son and they ended up being a half a size to big for him which caused him foot cramps after half an hour of skating.

Then I went to play it again and I bought him a new pair of Easton Synergy skates that served him well for about 6 months. Then he used the Vapors we bought used.

The first pair should FIT and fit well new or used. I have to buy both player equipment and goalie equipment for my son so I buy used every chance I get! I even bought used skates for myself.

The new skates I bought for my son did not even get broken in even though we skated a lot by the time I gave them to a friend for his son.

As your kid gets older you will have to spend bigger money on new skates, pads, and ice time. You mas as well save as much money now as you can while the kid is not to picky.

Just MHO.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:22 AM
4Hockey4

We are sold on Vapors.....you can get the XVI's (decent lil starter skate) for nothing on Hockeygiant. They run narrow, and I got the EE for my 7 YO's XXV's - great skate and really light....he skates about 10 hours a week, so less weight is good....

if he's REALLY into it, and you have the money the XXV's are $99 on HG.com

4Hockey4 is offline   Reply With Quote