HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kaberle won't go West — but Antropov might

Old
02-24-2009, 05:47 AM
Phate5

vCash: 500
Kaberle won't go West — but Antropov might

Courtesy of Tim Wharnsby of the Globe and Mail - http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/se...rtsHockey/home

Quote:
Toronto Maple Leafs fanatics who would like to see Tomas Kaberle traded for Chris Pronger can forget about that transaction happening before the NHL trade deadline next week.

When Kaberle, who has a no-trade clause in his contract, submitted his list of 10 teams he would agree to be traded to before the March 4 deadline, there were no Western Conference clubs on his list.

His list is believed to include the 10 teams that are in front of the Leafs in the Eastern Conference standing, including divisional rivals the Montreal Canadiens, Boston Bruins and Buffalo Sabres.

Kaberle agreed to provide the list in order to control his own destiny because another clause in his deal states that the Leafs are free to move him this summer if they don't make the playoffs, a development that is a certainty.

Leafs general manager Brian Burke has stated that the price for the 30-year-old Kaberle is steep because of his high talent level and his market-friendly contract. Kaberle, who is close to returning from the broken right hand he suffered on Jan. 29, is locked in for two more seasons with a salary of $4.25-million (U.S.).

Toronto forward Nik Antropov remains the best bet to be moved before next Wednesday because he is slated to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Burke said yesterday that nothing is brewing on the trade front, but he admitted that since Antropov's play has picked up, the inquiries about him have been more frequent.

After going 16 games without a goal in late December and January, Antropov has scored seven times in his past 11 games. With 22 games remaining this season, Antropov is only six goals shy of the career-high 26 he scored last season.

Burke is seeking a first-round draft pick in return for the big Kazakh.

Antropov, 29, isn't the only Leafs player slated for free agency in the summer. Dominic Moore, who is having a career season with 11 goals and 39 points, could be an unrestricted free agent, while rookie Mikhail Grabovski will be a restricted free agent on July 1 and have salary-arbitration rights.

Phate5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymullan View Post
Courtesy of Tim Wharnsby of the Globe and Mail - http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/se...rtsHockey/home
.........THE PATIENCE IS KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 06:04 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

quote:
Toronto Maple Leafs fanatics who would like to see Tomas Kaberle traded for Chris Pronger can forget about that transaction happening before the NHL trade deadline next week.

I hate how they paint the whole fan base as a bunch of idiots.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
quote:

I hate how they paint the whole fan base as a bunch of idiots.
Just noticed with the sane brain that is left...and yea i saw that is damn arrogant of them....wow..

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:42 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
.........THE PATIENCE IS KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you had any patience you would be fine!

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
if you had any patience you would be fine!
hahaha touche

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:49 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

anyone who wants to see Kaberle for Prpnger is not a Leafs fan.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Patrick96

Who the hell wanted Pronger?

Patrick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:55 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
anyone who wants to see Kaberle for Prpnger is not a Leafs fan.
resigned Pronger > Cheap Kaberle

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:02 AM
mapes

Kabby for Pronger? Who the hell wanted that? Maybe when it was rumored Kabby+Steen for Pronger 5 or 6 years ago. No Leaf fan in their right mind wants it now. That's 1 step forward, 20 steps back

I think with his play lately, Antro may get a late first rounder from a team looking to add some more depth.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Phate5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick96 View Post
Exactly what i was saying to myself when i read that opening to the article. Besides didn't pronger say something about not wanting to go to Toronto recently? Who the hell has wharnsby been speaking to?

Anyway, besides the point. I thought the article was interesting in the fact that Kabs has picked the 10 teams ahead of us in the conference. Could this simply be a case that Kabs genuinely dosent want to leave and submitting a list of teams all of whom are conference/divisional rivals might put burke off dealing him at the deadline?

Rumours spreading that Leafs and Nucks are talking and deal is imminent. Surely Kabs would consider moving to the nucks? He'd still be in canada and he'd be alongside Sundin and Welly? Anyway apparently Burkey is targeting Edler and/or Burrows. What you think of these two?

Personally Edler has been playing real well, but still has a way to go go in terms of development but thats natural for defenceman, this guy has ton of potential. Burrows is great, definately a burkey type guy too. Has ton of talent and dosent shy away from the rough stuff, a real chirper as well can really affect the opposition mentally. What would you guys think is fair value for Kabs outta Vancouver?

Old
02-24-2009, 10:06 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Without Niedermayer the Ducks are crap, and that was with Pronger.

Niedermayer and Selanne drive the Ducks, Pronger is a very good support player. Same thing in Edmonton, until they picked up Spacek and Tarnstrom they sucked with Pronger as well.

He is a great second fiddle.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:08 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
resigned Pronger > Cheap Kaberle
That's a joke right?

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Nobody, he made it up. Berger does this kind of thing all the time, inventing things that "fans" supposedly want.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Phate5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Nobody, he made it up. Berger does this kind of thing all the time, inventing things that "fans" supposedly want.
Article is by Tim Wharnsby, not Howard Berger. The globes columnists are usually pretty good, but the opening made no sense at all.

Old
02-24-2009, 10:29 AM
caribouPINE

Damn, that first line jerks my chain.

WHO THE HELL WAS TALKING ABOUT KABERLE FOR PRONGER? I haven't heard a single thing about that.

Who is worse? The Habs media for completely blowing things out of proportion or the Leafs media for pigeon holeing fans and making crap up?

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:30 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IknowmorethanU View Post
Damn, that first line jerks my chain.

WHO THE HELL WAS TALKING ABOUT KABERLE FOR PRONGER? I haven't heard a single thing about that.

Who is worse? The Habs media for completely blowing things out of proportion or the Leafs media for pigeon holeing fans and making crap up?
I would say that they are both equally bad yet both very good at what they do.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:42 AM
bluumax

hahaha this guy is really intouch with the fan base he writes for, pronger for kabby, i have never heard that even mentioned lol. its becoming harder and harder to find a writer who isnt a total idiot.

bluumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
anyone who wants to see Kaberle for Pronger is not a Leafs fan.
Two years ago Kaberle + Steen were requested by Edmonton that would have sent Pronger to the Leafs.

Then Anaheim GM Burke now Leaf GM stepped up to the plate and made the deal to bring him to Anaheim instead.

Pronger, Kaberle, Burke and Leafs have all been entangled and linked together not to long ago.

Last edited by Mess: 02-24-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:13 AM
New Liskeard

I still think New Jersey makes the most sense for a Kaberle trade.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Raptactics29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
I still think New Jersey makes the most sense for a Kaberle trade.
Agreed...or Florida, which would be the best bet I think, their 1st will be much better!

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:44 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptactics29 View Post
Agreed...or Florida, which would be the best bet I think, their 1st will be much better!
Yes a Florida move seems almost logical if they move Jaybo, and they have to be having as much discussion about him as the Leafs are about Kaberle. They are not looking to roll over in the first round and they have seen what a trade did for McCabe's game. Unless Boston really is on the bidding which I am not sure I believe, I think it is 50-50 between NJ and FL if he moves before the deadline.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymullan View Post
Article is by Tim Wharnsby, not Howard Berger. The globes columnists are usually pretty good, but the opening made no sense at all.
I didn't say this article is by Berger. I said it treads familiar Berger-ish territory by making up pretend Leaf fans.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Yes a Florida move seems almost logical if they move Jaybo, and they have to be having as much discussion about him as the Leafs are about Kaberle. They are not looking to roll over in the first round and they have seen what a trade did for McCabe's game. Unless Boston really is on the bidding which I am not sure I believe, I think it is 50-50 between NJ and FL if he moves before the deadline.
The return from a Jay Bow trade will return a bunch of nice assets for Florida including likely another 1st rounder in 2009..

To keep their playoff hopes alive they could then part with some of those Jay Bow assets to land Kaberle .. The connection on the PP between Kabs and McCabe is an obvious benefit of chemistry and history of a successful PP pairing.

If Florida comes calling dangling a pair of 1st round selections their own and the Jay Bow one acquired then Burke might be very interested in listening.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 12:02 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i always thought philly was the perfect place for kaberle

lupul, young D's, 1st pick all of interest

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote