HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What Jacques Martin really wants for Bouwmeester

Old
02-24-2009, 02:14 PM
CanadienErrant*

vCash: 500
I dunno if Martin wants to send Bowmeester to an Eastern Conference team that might compete with them for a play-off spot.

If he doesn't care, then....

To Pittsburg for Staal + Letang

To the Rangers for Gomez + Rozsival

To the Habs for Higgins + Komisarek

To the Flyers for Carter (or Brière) + Upshall

To Ottawa for Spezza

If he wants to deal with a Western team...

To Calgary for Phaneuf

To Edmonton for Cole + Gilbert + pick

Last edited by CanadienErrant*: 02-24-2009 at 04:43 PM.
CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 02:35 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
All Oilers fans seem to think that's the case, but Jay is a very reserved guy. He slips out of practice every day without being interviewed. Hell, when he is interviewed he looks like he's being forced to do so and is just extremely uncomfortable.

There has to be something to be said about not being hounded everywhere you go as he would be in a market like Edmonton/Calgary based on his personality.

As Coolburn said, I could see him somewhere like Buffalo -- where the love hockey but it isn't the crazed Canadian media.
Actually, apart from the city life recognition, which Jay is already used to since he spends his summers here, he could be fairly sheltered. As an org we are pretty good about deflecting the media interviews if the player doesn't want to. Hemsky didn't feel comfortable for many years and just starting talking to the press more this year. Sure there would be pressure on him, to preform here, but that will be the case from any team that ponies up the $$ to sign him. We have plenty of guys here that will do interviews. If Jay doesn't want to, who cares? 95% of hockey interviews are essentially the same anyways(get back to basics, do the little things right, get traffic in front of the net, etc.)

And as long as he continues to play at his current level, the fans will treat him like a god here. While we maybe an uncomfortable hockey city for players not living up to their contracts, we are a very friendly city to players that are. And since there isn't a question in my mind that Jay wouldn't live up to a 7y 50M deal, he should be very comfortable here, surrounded by his friends, family and adoring fans every game.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 02:37 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
I dunno if Martin wants to send Bowmeester to an Eastern League that might compete with them for a play-off spot.

If he doesn't care, then....

To Pittsburg for Staal + Letang

To the Rangers for Gomez + Rozsival

To the Habs for Higgins + Komisarek

To the Flyers for Carter (or Brière) + Upshall

To Ottawa for Spezza

If he wants to deal with a Western team...

To Calgary for Phaneuf

To Edmonton for Cole + Gilbert + pick
Deal!!!

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
I dunno why you'd give up a kings ransom for Jay-Bo. He's quite obviously intent on testing the free agent market, and I think it's also evident he most likely has a few destinations in mind already.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 02:43 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Deal!!!
Yeah if any of those deals happened I'd crown Martin the league's best GM. If any of the other team's GMs did those deals, it would prove they ate too many lead paint chips, while being dropped repeatedly as a child.

I don't think I can remember any past deadline deals where a UFA star was traded for a signed near equivalent star. Can you?

Old
02-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Actually, apart from the city life recognition, which Jay is already used to since he spends his summers here, he could be fairly sheltered. As an org we are pretty good about deflecting the media interviews if the player doesn't want to. Hemsky didn't feel comfortable for many years and just starting talking to the press more this year. Sure there would be pressure on him, to preform here, but that will be the case from any team that ponies up the $$ to sign him. We have plenty of guys here that will do interviews. If Jay doesn't want to, who cares? 95% of hockey interviews are essentially the same anyways(get back to basics, do the little things right, get traffic in front of the net, etc.)

And as long as he continues to play at his current level, the fans will treat him like a god here. While we maybe an uncomfortable hockey city for players not living up to their contracts, we are a very friendly city to players that are. And since there isn't a question in my mind that Jay wouldn't live up to a 7y 50M deal, he should be very comfortable here, surrounded by his friends, family and adoring fans every game.
I don't doubt anything about what you said. I just don't know that Bouwmeester wants to be such a recognized person in the community. I think he enjoys being able to keep to himself down here and not be hounded by fans when he goes out to dinner for example. He won't get that luxury in Canada.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan View Post
Yeah well I've got news for you, you're going to have a void in Bouwmeester's spot whether you like it or not and are going to get worse on D whether you like it or not. Bouwmeester is a rental, no GM is going to put a premium on him knowing he could play for only 20 games with your squad. That's a reality you need to accept.

Flames deal is arguably overpayment to begin with.
That's reasonable logic but unfortunately that logic has not held up in the face of previous trade deadlines. Have you not seen how much rentals go for in the past decade? We got Regehr by renting out Fleury in case you forgot. Adam Oates was traded for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and a prospect near the end of his career. This list goes on Ronald, every year we see GM's pay ridiculous prices for soon to be UFA's.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:01 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
what did hossa fetch? similar?

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Transplanted Caper

Random thought: Martin gets his roster forward, plus picks/prospects for Jay-Bo, and uses these, or other assets, to grab a Top 4 defenseman like Kaberle in another deal. Acheives his goal, and the team buying Jay-Bo isn't selling off roster assets (something most teams are hesistant to do if they're gunning for the playoffs)

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:19 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Could Philly even afford to sign Bouwmeester in the offseason with a deal like this? Wouldn't Danny Briere practically have to be involved in a trade to Florida just make cap space next year? I don't know much about the Flyers cap problems only that they are up against it right now with Briere on IR.
Highly doubt it, unless some salary is going the other way. Lupul and Carle might be enough in terms of salary, since Knuble will be off the books next year. The only problem is that the Flyers wouldn't be able to afford sending JVR cuase they just can't afford it cap wise. They NEED to trade roster players in order to make it work. With the main peice being JVR (and that is a HUGE piece, probably more than anything anyone else would offer), there's no way that the deal would work #'s wise. Plus JVR is just too much to loose if Bouwmeester walks...which is a very likely possibility.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:22 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
That's a solid offer, but I'd say probably take out Roszival as the Panthers likely wouldn't want him and his contract. Moving JayBo and getting Girardi in return would give the Panthers McCabe, Ballard, Allen and Girardi in their top 4 going forward so I doubt they'd want to add Roszival and his $5M cap hit to bump one of those guys to a 5th spot.
They have to take him so we can re-sign JayBo. He would be easily tradeable since Roz has played pretty damn good this year. He's certainly worth 4M or so a year, so he's only overpaid by about 1M. It's not like I was offering Redden.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:24 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

So how do Panthers fans feel about this?

To New York:

Bouwmeester

To Florida:

Dubinsky
Rozsival or Gomez (your choice)
Girardi
2nd round pick (turns into a 1st round pick if: Rangers win the Cup or if JayBo is re-signed long-term)

We could throw in Dawes or Prucha if you guys would need to send some dead wood back, also.

Old
02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
what did hossa fetch? similar?

Short version: recent 1st rounder (Espisoto who had gone 20th overall 8 months earlier), another late 1st round DP (29th overall in 2008), and a good 3rd liner. (Note: assuming that Christensen & Dupuis's value basically cancel out in the deal).

Last edited by Beukeboom Fan: 02-24-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
So how do Panthers fans feel about this?

To New York:

Bouwmeester

To Florida:

Dubinsky
Rozsival or Gomez (your choice)
Girardi
2nd round pick (turns into a 1st round pick if: Rangers win the Cup or if JayBo is re-signed long-term)

We could throw in Dawes or Prucha if you guys would need to send some dead wood back, also.
Again that's a hell of an offer! Especially considering that Gomez actually dollar cost over the remaining contract is about $6M per year, even if his cap hit is $7.4M. Adding 2 scoring line centers & a top 4 d-man replacement lets the Panthers roll 3 solild scoring line.

I actually think you're overpaying significantly, especially compared to most other deals being offered. Do you think that Slats would get this aggressive (even assuming that he has some indication that he could get a long term deal done with J-Bo)? Because the pick would likely be somewhere between 10-14 considering that J-Bo's not going to fix the Rangers problems this year, especially moving that much scoring out.

Old
02-24-2009, 04:36 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
All Oilers fans seem to think that's the case, but Jay is a very reserved guy. He slips out of practice every day without being interviewed. Hell, when he is interviewed he looks like he's being forced to do so and is just extremely uncomfortable.

There has to be something to be said about not being hounded everywhere you go as he would be in a market like Edmonton/Calgary based on his personality.

As Coolburn said, I could see him somewhere like Buffalo -- where the love hockey but it isn't the crazed Canadian media.
Man, I wish that they could land JayBo, but I'm almost certain that would mean having to give up Roy. Would there be a package that Florida fans would want from Buffalo that does not include Derek Roy?

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:37 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
I don't doubt anything about what you said. I just don't know that Bouwmeester wants to be such a recognized person in the community. I think he enjoys being able to keep to himself down here and not be hounded by fans when he goes out to dinner for example. He won't get that luxury in Canada.
Not that I am doubting you, as jaybo isn't an outgoing person, but if recognition in the community was a huge issue, why would he come back to his hometown for the summer? I think it is likely an issue, but not as big as it's made out to be here. He isn't some social hermit after all.

I guess July 1st will answer all questions about Bouw

Old
02-24-2009, 04:39 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Again that's a hell of an offer! Especially considering that Gomez actually dollar cost over the remaining contract is about $6M per year, even if his cap hit is $7.4M. Adding 2 scoring line centers & a top 4 d-man replacement lets the Panthers roll 3 solild scoring line.

I actually think you're overpaying significantly, especially compared to most other deals being offered. Do you think that Slats would get this aggressive (even assuming that he has some indication that he could get a long term deal done with J-Bo)? Because the pick would likely be somewhere between 10-14 considering that J-Bo's not going to fix the Rangers problems this year, especially moving that much scoring out.
I think that if we sign him long-term it's worth it. Perhaps the Panthers should send something of value back, but I do think that JayBo helps the team significantly long-term.

Maybe the Panthers add a scoring forward coming back or a pretty good prospect/pick. I usually tend to try to overpay in proposals than underpay which most people here do, at least!

Old
02-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
I think that if we sign him long-term it's worth it. Perhaps the Panthers should send something of value back, but I do think that JayBo helps the team significantly long-term.

Maybe the Panthers add a scoring forward coming back or a pretty good prospect/pick. I usually tend to try to overpay in proposals than underpay which most people here do, at least!
I think that FLA would have to send something significant back.

If your proposal was accepted, can the Rangers afford to have almst $19M tied up in J-Bo, Redden, Rozsival? I guess that you could probably move Rozsival for $.80 on the dollar at that point if you had to.

Old
02-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Rattrick

Quote:

Balanced scoring isn't the Panthers problem. They have the 2nd most 20 points scorers behind Detroit. They need game changing offensive talent if they're going to lose Bouwmeester. We are full of grind it out/forecheck guys.

Old
02-24-2009, 04:51 PM
OneSharpMarble

Whatever, keep him and lose him for nothing.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
HAHA! You're so funny! Way to add something constructive to this tread.

I'll gladly keep him, make the playoffs and lose him for nothing. Maybe you can watch the Panthers game on TV from Edmonton?

Why would a team trade one of the top 5 defensemen in the NHL for something sub par? If they don't get a package worth while, they'll hold onto him.

Old
02-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Quote:
HAHA! You're so funny! Way to add something constructive to this tread.

I'll gladly keep him, make the playoffs and lose him for nothing. Maybe you can watch the Panthers game on TV from Edmonton?

Why would a team trade one of the top 5 defensemen in the NHL for something sub par? If they don't get a package worth while, they'll hold onto him.
Yep, I've been trough it several times, the Cats won't "lose him for nothing." He's not playing to hurt the team, he's actually doing quite well, and making the playoffs helps the team and the chances of filling Bouw's spot tremendously.

That said, I'm no longer thinking he's going to be here after the deadline, I hope I'm wrong, but I also don't think Martin's going to just take anything for him. He hasn't done that with a player yet.

02-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
He hasn't done that with a player yet.
Hell, take that a step further and say he hasn't "lost" a single trade yet. Contrary to everyone's belief after they called him a dumbass for trading Jokinen.

Old
02-24-2009, 05:15 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs1967 View Post
jack martin will deal him on march the 4th..

gonna go to the habs after the habs strike out on vinny and kaberle.

to montreal..beaumeester..nathan horton

to florida..markov..higgins..mtl's 1st in 2009..
Please explain how the Horton part makes sense on Fla. behalf?

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Hell, take that a step further and say he hasn't "lost" a single trade yet.
JM is ahead of the game on the trade front but don't go overboard in praise of him. He hasn't made that many trades in the first place and in the second place it's hard calling trading a third-rounder to Toronto for Chad Kilger a "win".

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote