HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Minnesota and Toronto

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2009, 08:51 PM
  #1
chef223
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Minnesota and Toronto

Apparently Brian Burke is in Minnesota tonight, scouting a Kings and Wild game. Rumor has it it could pertain to Team USA, but he has a Toronto Maple Leaf scout attending with him. Brian has already made a trade with Minnesota this year, Earl for Hamilton and Minnesota does have some intriguing prospects Cuma, Pouliot and of course Gillies. Could the Wild be interested in Antropov, Poni or perhaps Stajan?

chef223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:55 PM
  #2
leaflover
New hope
 
leaflover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: beautiful B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,955
vCash: 2183
Who's in goal for Minny tonight?

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:06 PM
  #3
The King 1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Three way deal?

The King 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:16 PM
  #4
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,574
vCash: 500
nope

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:18 PM
  #5
The King 1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Damn! You sure.

The King 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:39 PM
  #6
chef223
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Looking at the stats from the Minnesota players ,Niki Antropov would be their lead goal scorer and second in the team in points. With Owen Nolan out due to injury and Minnesota just barely hanging on to a playoff spot mabye Burke can pry one of Gillies, Sheppard or Pouliot from them.

chef223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:15 PM
  #7
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 10,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef223 View Post
Looking at the stats from the Minnesota players ,Niki Antropov would be their lead goal scorer and second in the team in points. With Owen Nolan out due to injury and Minnesota just barely hanging on to a playoff spot mabye Burke can pry one of Gillies, Sheppard or Pouliot from them.
You could easily get Pouliot. Sheppard is young and starting to find his game so he would be hard to get, Gillies hasn't played much but he's starting to look better. If we did trade one of those players it'd probably be Gillies because we are extremely thin on centers and trading away Shep would destroy any shred of depth we have. Anyway this team isn't going anywhere this year so we'll probably keep the young players that we think will pan out.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:44 PM
  #8
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
You could easily get Pouliot. Sheppard is young and starting to find his game so he would be hard to get, Gillies hasn't played much but he's starting to look better. If we did trade one of those players it'd probably be Gillies because we are extremely thin on centers and trading away Shep would destroy any shred of depth we have. Anyway this team isn't going anywhere this year so we'll probably keep the young players that we think will pan out.
I disagree. I think Gillies is one of the players that would 100% not get traded.

Pouliot would be the most tradeable asset we have. He hasn't done will in Minny but has shown some spark in the AHL and his skills are undeniable, its just putting them together is his problem.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 11:57 PM
  #9
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
You could easily get Pouliot. Sheppard is young and starting to find his game so he would be hard to get, Gillies hasn't played much but he's starting to look better. If we did trade one of those players it'd probably be Gillies because we are extremely thin on centers and trading away Shep would destroy any shred of depth we have. Anyway this team isn't going anywhere this year so we'll probably keep the young players that we think will pan out.
You'd have a better shot at Belanger or Zidlicky before Sheppard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
I disagree. I think Gillies is one of the players that would 100% not get traded.

Pouliot would be the most tradeable asset we have. He hasn't done will in Minny but has shown some spark in the AHL and his skills are undeniable, its just putting them together is his problem.
speaks the truth

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 12:08 AM
  #10
embracedbias
Registered User
 
embracedbias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
You'd have a better shot at Belanger or Zidlicky before Sheppard.
Obviously, because they are less valuable. Minnesota is the buyer and the Leafs are the sellers, remember? I don't suspect that Burke would have much interest in the 31 year old Belanger or 32 year old Zidlicky for the rebuilding Leafs. Especially considering that Antropov is much better than both of them.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 12:15 AM
  #11
IWD
...
 
IWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Spain
Posts: 5,196
vCash: 500
What about Harding? What is Minnesota doing with their goaltending situation? Harding or Backstrom?

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 01:38 AM
  #12
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
Obviously, because they are less valuable. Minnesota is the buyer and the Leafs are the sellers, remember? I don't suspect that Burke would have much interest in the 31 year old Belanger or 32 year old Zidlicky for the rebuilding Leafs. Especially considering that Antropov is much better than both of them.
And there isn't that much on the Leafs I would really consider being a great advantage to the Wild either. Maybe trading prospects/picks type things, but core players....I'm not sold on that especially with the moves so many other teams are trying to push as well. Antropov is better than either Zids or Belanger, but for the total trade package is...doubtful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale View Post
What about Harding? What is Minnesota doing with their goaltending situation? Harding or Backstrom?
Still not sold on Josh being the #1 yet. Backstrom is playing Vezina hockey...its the team thats failing him on the offensive side of things. His 2.20 GAA, Save % of .933%and shutouts are proof enough for that. Harding is a great netminder, unfortunately he has been led to the slaughter by JL as to when he's played this season.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 09:20 AM
  #13
Clip68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
What about something around Antropov and Poni for Harding and Pouliot? I think Minnesota would have to add something, but from my understanding they don't have a 2nd or 3rd this year, and I think the 1st is too much.

Some people say Pouliot is near-bust, but he might just need an opportunity mith minutes.

I think Burke needs to go after these kind of prospects, because the skill-set is there. They just may need playing time to shine. He may find a gem. It is high risk, but the trade value of Pouliot is low.

Personally, I like the idea of Jack Skille in a deal for Antro, but aquiring these kind of "underachievers" will come cheap.

Clip68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 10:16 AM
  #14
IWD
...
 
IWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Spain
Posts: 5,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Still not sold on Josh being the #1 yet. Backstrom is playing Vezina hockey...its the team thats failing him on the offensive side of things. His 2.20 GAA, Save % of .933%and shutouts are proof enough for that. Harding is a great netminder, unfortunately he has been led to the slaughter by JL as to when he's played this season.
That's what I've heard too. Maybe there's room for some sort of minor deal here that benefits both clubs. I'll be honest, I don't follow the Wild too much. What do they need?

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 10:19 AM
  #15
sgupca
Registered User
 
sgupca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lloydminster, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,683
vCash: 500
Antropov for Sheppard

sgupca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 10:20 AM
  #16
Sterling31
YNWA - TML
 
Sterling31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,620
vCash: 50
add some toughness:

Boogaard - 2nd
for
Poni - Mayers

lol

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 10:31 AM
  #17
Ten
Registered User
 
Ten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto.
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
I think it's especially interesting because Minnesota has a lot of players Burke would be interested in, namely Harding/Clutterbuck/Sheppard/Gillies/Cuma/Boogaard/etc...

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 10:33 AM
  #18
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
Antropov for Sheppard
Ha ha ha. You wish.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 10:48 AM
  #19
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
I think it's especially interesting because Minnesota has a lot of players Burke would be interested in, namely Harding/Clutterbuck/Sheppard/Gillies/Cuma/Boogaard/etc...
And you know what the weird thing is?

The Wild are also interested in those same players. Crazy isn't it.

Out of all those guys, Harding is the only one available. But frankly, there really isn't anybody in the entire Toronto system that I would really like to see on the Wild. Well, enough to give up those young guys.

Maybe Gaborik, Belanger, and Veilleux for Antropov and Poni. I am not too happy about giving up Belanger (or Gaborik for that matter), but Antropov and Poni would look good with Bouchard. I can see Toronto fans hating this or loving it depending on whether Gaborik re-signs.

With Burke, it would be sweet if he could swing Gaborik and both Sedins. Man, that would be a monster first line. Belanger would replace Moore (who I am guessing is getting traded). Veilleux is just a bottom-6 winger with great PK skills (but not much else).

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 11:01 AM
  #20
sgupca
Registered User
 
sgupca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lloydminster, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Ha ha ha. You wish.
I do wish, hence the handclap...lol

sgupca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 11:03 AM
  #21
sgupca
Registered User
 
sgupca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lloydminster, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
And you know what the weird thing is?

The Wild are also interested in those same players. Crazy isn't it.

Out of all those guys, Harding is the only one available. But frankly, there really isn't anybody in the entire Toronto system that I would really like to see on the Wild. Well, enough to give up those young guys.

Maybe Gaborik, Belanger, and Veilleux for Antropov and Poni. I am not too happy about giving up Belanger (or Gaborik for that matter), but Antropov and Poni would look good with Bouchard. I can see Toronto fans hating this or loving it depending on whether Gaborik re-signs.

With Burke, it would be sweet if he could swing Gaborik and both Sedins. Man, that would be a monster first line. Belanger would replace Moore (who I am guessing is getting traded). Veilleux is just a bottom-6 winger with great PK skills (but not much else).
I'd do that if we could come to an agreement with Gabby before the deal was made.
Maybe something like 49mil over 7 years.

sgupca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 12:21 PM
  #22
Ace88*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Italy
Posts: 6,382
vCash: 500
While his talents are undeniable, im not sold on Pouliot. I dont doubt that Wilson could whip him into shape, but i wouldn't trade Antropov unless it included a 1st pick 09.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:46 PM
  #23
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
I think it's especially interesting because Minnesota has a lot of players Burke would be interested in, namely Harding/Clutterbuck/Sheppard/Gillies/Cuma/Boogaard/etc...

not that he'd be traded anytime soon, but Cal Clutterbuck is exactly the type of grinder Brian Burke gets a ***** over.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:48 PM
  #24
Ace88*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Italy
Posts: 6,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
not that he'd be traded anytime soon, but Cal Clutterbuck is exactly the type of grinder Brian Burke gets a ***** over.
Antropov + Poni for Clutterbuck and a 1st sounds good to me.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:53 PM
  #25
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace88 View Post
Antropov + Poni for Clutterbuck and a 1st sounds good to me.
No to our 1st. The Wild NEED the 1st...

Our cupboard is totally dry. We have no offensive forwards and with just Cuma and Scandella on our blueline (both expected to be a 3-4 Dmen) and no goalies, we're need this 09 draft BAD!

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.