HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gomez to Atlanta

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2009, 02:27 PM
  #51
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 103,739
vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rde View Post
To Rangers:
Tobias Enstrom
2nd round pick in 09


If the Rangers want to move Gomez and the Thrashers have interest then something like this is what would happen

To Thrashers
C Scott Gomez

To Rangers
5th round pick

Everyone knows that the Rangers are crippled when it comes to the cap. The Rangers have no leverage

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 02:57 PM
  #52
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
As I said in the other thread, there's no way Atlanta entertains trading for Gomez unless Kovalchuk is signed up long term first.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:32 PM
  #53
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
As I said in the other thread, there's no way Atlanta entertains trading for Gomez unless Kovalchuk is signed up long term first.
Trading for a player like Gomez would most likely make it more likely for Kovalchuk to resign. Not the other way around.

And for those people who think Scott Gomez has negative value, you are crazy. He is slightly overpaid but who exactly is scoring a ton of goals on the Rangers? I mean people make the excuse as to why Rick Nash never has had a PPG in his entire career of him playing with bad linemates. Please, enlighten me as to who Gomez plays with who is better than who Nash plays with. Going along with that points, Nash is a goal scorer, which means he will get his fair share of goals, for a playmaker, to not be playing with anyone who can put the puck in the net is by far the worse option.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 04:39 PM
  #54
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
No thanks.

Enstrom is already a great young defenseman (Yes, his numbers have gone down, but he's gotten very little PP time this season, and has improved tenfold defensively). Gomez is an extremely overpaid second line center that will just clog up the Thrashers' roster more, especially after Tavares is drafted.

Also, if this were to happen, it would be NYR adding the draft pick, not Atlanta.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 05:40 PM
  #55
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Trading for a player like Gomez would most likely make it more likely for Kovalchuk to resign. Not the other way around.
Gomez's playmaking talents will be less effective if there isn't a sniper on the team to bury his chances.

I just want to make sure if the thrashers are going to take a risk and pick up Gomez and his overpaid long term contract, that Kovy's also signed long term.

Also Gomez's contract will be the biggest ever under Atlanta's payroll if they were to do a deal today. You would think in these tight economic times (and that fact that the thrashers have been accumulating losses since inception) Atlanta would look after priority one - re-signing Ilya Kovalchuk - first before persuing other free agent and marquee players to play with Ilya.

I still stand by the fact that the thrashers will be stupid to look at Gomez this season given they have no chance at making the playoffs and also Enstrom is too good a young player to give up.

If the rangers want Enstrom then Atlanta would need to get at least Marc Staal in return.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 07:18 PM
  #56
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Gomez's playmaking talents will be less effective if there isn't a sniper on the team to bury his chances.

I just want to make sure if the thrashers are going to take a risk and pick up Gomez and his overpaid long term contract, that Kovy's also signed long term.

Also Gomez's contract will be the biggest ever under Atlanta's payroll if they were to do a deal today. You would think in these tight economic times (and that fact that the thrashers have been accumulating losses since inception) Atlanta would look after priority one - re-signing Ilya Kovalchuk - first before persuing other free agent and marquee players to play with Ilya.

I still stand by the fact that the thrashers will be stupid to look at Gomez this season given they have no chance at making the playoffs and also Enstrom is too good a young player to give up.

If the rangers want Enstrom then Atlanta would need to get at least Marc Staal in return.

That last part isn't going to happen unless the return is Kovalchuk.

Back to your main point, all I was saying is that if I was Kovalchuk who has been stuck in a losing culture(minus the one season the made the playoffs) and the team looked like it was in a rebuilding mode and not getting him any sort of help(which it has not) then why the hell would he stick around. All I am saying is if the Thrashers want to keep him around they need to make a concerted effort to get him some help. If they are okay with rebuilding then trade him for picks/prospects to help with the rebuild. At this point, his prime years will be wasted waiting for that team to become a legit contender, something most players don't like.

Also, in no way am I putting down Atl because I think they will have a pretty good team in a few years, its just as a perennial all-star and one of the best players in the league he deserves a better supporting cast, and I am positive he thinks the same way.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 07:42 PM
  #57
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Gomez's playmaking talents will be less effective if there isn't a sniper on the team to bury his chances.

I just want to make sure if the thrashers are going to take a risk and pick up Gomez and his overpaid long term contract, that Kovy's also signed long term.

Also Gomez's contract will be the biggest ever under Atlanta's payroll if they were to do a deal today. You would think in these tight economic times (and that fact that the thrashers have been accumulating losses since inception) Atlanta would look after priority one - re-signing Ilya Kovalchuk - first before persuing other free agent and marquee players to play with Ilya.

I still stand by the fact that the thrashers will be stupid to look at Gomez this season given they have no chance at making the playoffs and also Enstrom is too good a young player to give up.

If the rangers want Enstrom then Atlanta would need to get at least Marc Staal in return.
LOL! From what I've seen, Enstrom isn't even worth Paul Mara, let alone our franchise defenseman.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 07:50 PM
  #58
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 12,189
vCash: 500
i'd rather drink my own urine than trade enstrom for gomez

true story

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 07:53 PM
  #59
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 12,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
That last part isn't going to happen unless the return is Kovalchuk.

Back to your main point, all I was saying is that if I was Kovalchuk who has been stuck in a losing culture(minus the one season the made the playoffs) and the team looked like it was in a rebuilding mode and not getting him any sort of help(which it has not) then why the hell would he stick around. All I am saying is if the Thrashers want to keep him around they need to make a concerted effort to get him some help. If they are okay with rebuilding then trade him for picks/prospects to help with the rebuild. At this point, his prime years will be wasted waiting for that team to become a legit contender, something most players don't like.

Also, in no way am I putting down Atl because I think they will have a pretty good team in a few years, its just as a perennial all-star and one of the best players in the league he deserves a better supporting cast, and I am positive he thinks the same way.
i'd like to see how we finish the season first before i decide what i want to do about kovy

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:19 PM
  #60
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
LOL! From what I've seen, Enstrom isn't even worth Paul Mara, let alone our franchise defenseman.
Two way defenceman are more valuable than defensive defenceman in my opinion.

Tobias Enstrom (Career) 142 GP 6 G 44 A 50 PTS -5 +/- 82 PIM
Marc Staal (Career) 141 GP 4 G 15 A 19 PTS 0 +/- 92 PIM

Enstrom > Staal.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:40 PM
  #61
Norm MacDonald
Registered User
 
Norm MacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
LOL! From what I've seen, Enstrom isn't even worth Paul Mara, let alone our franchise defenseman.
Key words here. It's better to just not post an opinion if you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:41 PM
  #62
btn
Gone Hollywood
 
btn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,674
vCash: 500
Staal is a couple years younger, so I don't think those stats comparisons tell the whole story.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:45 PM
  #63
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Two way defenceman are more valuable than defensive defenceman in my opinion.

Tobias Enstrom (Career) 142 GP 6 G 44 A 50 PTS -5 +/- 82 PIM
Marc Staal (Career) 141 GP 4 G 15 A 19 PTS 0 +/- 92 PIM

Enstrom > Staal.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:58 PM
  #64
smoneil
Registered User
 
smoneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Two way defenceman are more valuable than defensive defenceman in my opinion.

Tobias Enstrom (Career) 142 GP 6 G 44 A 50 PTS -5 +/- 82 PIM
Marc Staal (Career) 141 GP 4 G 15 A 19 PTS 0 +/- 92 PIM

Enstrom > Staal.

This is a brutal analysis. First, there is the obvious point that Enstrom is 2 and a half years older than Staal. Second, you point to Enstrom's points, when more than half of them came on the PP (30/50). Staal has only one PP point (since he doesn't play on the PP), which means the real points ratio (even strength) is 20 for Enstrom to 18 for Staal. With a 2 + year age difference.

Not only is Staal >>>>>> Enstrom, but it's not even close.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:00 PM
  #65
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 12,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Two way defenceman are more valuable than defensive defenceman in my opinion.

Tobias Enstrom (Career) 142 GP 6 G 44 A 50 PTS -5 +/- 82 PIM
Marc Staal (Career) 141 GP 4 G 15 A 19 PTS 0 +/- 92 PIM

Enstrom > Staal.
dude i like enstrom as much as the next guy but good god i would take staal over him in a heartbeat

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:23 PM
  #66
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Two way defenceman are more valuable than defensive defenceman in my opinion.

Tobias Enstrom (Career) 142 GP 6 G 44 A 50 PTS -5 +/- 82 PIM
Marc Staal (Career) 141 GP 4 G 15 A 19 PTS 0 +/- 92 PIM

Enstrom > Staal.
I'm guessing Adrian Aucoin > Robyn Regehr as well.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:28 PM
  #67
btn
Gone Hollywood
 
btn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,674
vCash: 500
I'll say this, right now I take Enstrom. Down the road Staal should be better.

Enstrom is a + on a very bad Thrashers team.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:53 PM
  #68
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I'll say this, right now I take Enstrom. Down the road Staal should be better.

Enstrom is a + on a very bad Thrashers team.
And Staal is the only good defenseman who is on a very bad defensive team. According to James Mirtle he is top 3 in defensive play, and shows signs of offensive play with the puck.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 03:52 AM
  #69
trademasterb*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Makes sense but Atlanta may be one of the three teams Gomez listed that he won't be traded to. I also do not think in any way that the Rangers want a defenseman back. They already have Sauer and Sanguinetti knocking on the door. They would need to get a forward and picks back. I don't think Atlanta is a match farm system wise for the Rangers.

trademasterb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 10:37 AM
  #70
dj4aces
Registered User
 
dj4aces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,900
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademasterb View Post
Makes sense but Atlanta may be one of the three teams Gomez listed that he won't be traded to. I also do not think in any way that the Rangers want a defenseman back. They already have Sauer and Sanguinetti knocking on the door. They would need to get a forward and picks back. I don't think Atlanta is a match farm system wise for the Rangers.
With the Rangers trading Gomez, they would be addressing one glaring need. The need to free up cap space. Addressing needs in the system isn't what this deal would (or should) accomplish, from either teams perspective.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 10:40 AM
  #71
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor
 
DungeonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 5,617
vCash: 500
Um, Enstrom is Atlanta's best defenseman right now, and is under contract for 4 years after this season... why exactly would they want to trade him?

How about a 3rd round pick or Garnet Exelby?

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 10:55 AM
  #72
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor
 
DungeonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 5,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
And Staal is the only good defenseman who is on a very bad defensive team. According to James Mirtle he is top 3 in defensive play, and shows signs of offensive play with the puck.
Marc Staal will be lucky to ever crack 30 points- he's great on D, but the offensive instincts just aren't there. There's a reason he's not at the point on the Rangers PP.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 11:04 AM
  #73
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Two way defenceman are more valuable than defensive defenceman in my opinion.

Tobias Enstrom (Career) 142 GP 6 G 44 A 50 PTS -5 +/- 82 PIM
Marc Staal (Career) 141 GP 4 G 15 A 19 PTS 0 +/- 92 PIM

Enstrom > Staal.
and with that, you lost all credibility....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
  #74
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Marc Staal will be lucky to ever crack 30 points- he's great on D, but the offensive instincts just aren't there. There's a reason he's not at the point on the Rangers PP.
actually the instincts are there...

and he wasn't on the point as renney never put him there...

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 12:17 PM
  #75
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Marc Staal will be lucky to ever crack 30 points- he's great on D, but the offensive instincts just aren't there. There's a reason he's not at the point on the Rangers PP.
Considering your from GA I'll assume your a Thrashers fan, and also make the safe assumption that you don't watch many Ranger games. Because the exact thing Staal has been displaying this season are flashes of offensive instincts. He looks brilliant carrying the puck, out of possible the three times he's been on the power play he's gotten a point and dinged the crossbar in an absolutely fantastic drive to the center. He's young, his defense has to be at it's full potential before any coach sets him free offensively, it just seems like he's itching to get there.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.