HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beginner FatGuy Skates Recommendation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2009, 04:12 PM
  #1
Fleet
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Beginner FatGuy Skates Recommendation

Hello Everyone,

I haven't played hockey in 25 years. I want to start again, and eventually get into an adult league. I've been to the local rink a few times trying to remember how to skate, and I'm muddling through. I'm on rental skates. I'm going to take some lessons, and I went to the pro shop to buy some real hockey skates. I'm a big guy, 6'5", 270lbs, and the pro shop is saying I need $300-$500 skates to support me. I was hoping for $100 skates. They recommended Bauer One55 or One75 or maybe CCM Vector 06 or 08.

I could go to the local sports superstore and get a pair of skates for $50 - Bauer One05's.

For someone muddling around and learning to skate, the pro shop skates seem like overkill. What do I know, though? Would you recommend such high-end stuff for my use, now? I don't like the rental skates, and want to step up.

Any recommendations? I'm not afraid of ordering online if that's what it takes.

Thanks

Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:43 PM
  #2
Globalz
 
Globalz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 179
vCash: 500
Well you should really spend the money on high end skates.
You could go check at some Used sport store and find some for a better price but these are the most important piece of gear of a hockey player 50$ skates are just that 50$ skates there just made for the really casual skater.

Globalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 05:52 PM
  #3
DevilsFan38
Registered User
 
DevilsFan38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,425
vCash: 500
First off, skates that FIT YOUR FEET are very important, so I wouldn't order online. I also wouldn't cheap out and buy $50 skates.

You probably don't need the top end skates, but the advice the guys at your LHS give you will probably be better than any advice you can get online. Skates (and a helmet, when you start buying gear) are the most important things to not skimp on.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:01 PM
  #4
Stefan It Up
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,166
vCash: 500
Whatever you do, don't get the cheapest skate. Given your weight, the low-end skates WILL not last and you'll wish you had spent a little more on something that lasts longer like the mid-high end skates. But do make sure the skate you get fits properly.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:28 PM
  #5
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,629
vCash: 500
Ordering online is a bad idea, you need skates to fit.

And at your size, you're going to destroy anything lower end quite fast, good skater or no.

One 55 and 75 will fit quite differently, so you would have to try them on.

What you should do is look to see if any shops near you have any closeout stuff- last year's models and such. They'll be a lot cheaper then the current top stuff.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:39 PM
  #6
Fleet
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Thanks a lot for the advice about avoiding online. I wasn't real keen on that. Online prices don't seem to be much cheaper anyways. Just a lot more choices. I think I'm also going to rule out the $50 ones from the sports store. If I have to go in for $2-300, I do. I'm just surprised a bit, as I don't need to buy special shoes to walk around in. I'm not THAT big. I kind of thought that skates got lighter the more money you spent, not more heavy-duty. Anyways, I'm going to try and find another LHS and talk with them as well.

Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 06:59 PM
  #7
87vert
 
87vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I kind of thought that skates got lighter the more money you spent, not more heavy-duty. Anyways, I'm going to try and find another LHS and talk with them as well.
They do but they also go up in boot stiffness. A good pair of higher end skates will last for years to come vs replacing 100 dollar skates every year.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 07:23 PM
  #8
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pickering ON & N-NJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Hello Everyone,

I haven't played hockey in 25 years. I want to start again, and eventually get into an adult league. I've been to the local rink a few times trying to remember how to skate, and I'm muddling through. I'm on rental skates. I'm going to take some lessons, and I went to the pro shop to buy some real hockey skates. I'm a big guy, 6'5", 270lbs, and the pro shop is saying I need $300-$500 skates to support me. I was hoping for $100 skates. They recommended Bauer One55 or One75 or maybe CCM Vector 06 or 08.

I could go to the local sports superstore and get a pair of skates for $50 - Bauer One05's.

For someone muddling around and learning to skate, the pro shop skates seem like overkill. What do I know, though? Would you recommend such high-end stuff for my use, now? I don't like the rental skates, and want to step up.

Any recommendations? I'm not afraid of ordering online if that's what it takes.

Thanks
CCM vector 3 are a reasonable skate to start with and even play some pickup. They start at about $100 bucks, but they will last a year or three depending on how much you skate and play hockey. Then you can decide if you want to spend the money on a high end skate.

what ever you do make sure the boot fits well above anything.

Welcome back to the best game you can name.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:04 PM
  #9
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,428
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Agree with everybody else. Try every brand on, there will be 1 pair that stands out from the rest given your foot shape and ankle size. Personally, I would buy last years high end skate on clearance. $500 skates go for $300 this year and if you play regularly they are worth the money. As far as I'm concerned the 2 things you should not go cheap on are sticks and skates but that's just my opinion. Some skates are ridiculously heavy and lugging those around all game will make a difference.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 08:18 PM
  #10
CaptBrannigan
Registered User
 
CaptBrannigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,789
vCash: 500
One advantage you have is that you are not growing anymore. A quality skate will last you a good couple years if you take care of it.

The 03 may be a little too flexible for a self-described 'fatguy' but as repeatedly said, get what fits the best.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:43 PM
  #11
PensBeerGeek
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
I'm a still fairly novice fat guy myself (about 6'3" and 270), and I ended up getting closeout Bauer Supreme 8090s around Christmas 2006 and they're still holding up pretty strong. I paid about $270, down from a price of $340 on the box.

While I can't recommend the specific model (sadly...they're long since gone...though maybe Bauer will bring them back in the next generation of gear; one can only hope!), I back the recommendation to get very stiff skates, which sadly means more expensive. You really do get what you pay for.

PensBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:12 AM
  #12
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
At 270 pounds you'll piss through a pair of lower end skates. You should think about getting a stiffer boot than you normally would.

That said, look for deals on closeouts our last years models. You could go used to bridge the gap between getting back into it and playing, but you should be able to get a new skate for around $250 US.

And please whatever you do, don't buy online.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:48 AM
  #13
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
At 270 pounds you'll piss through a pair of lower end skates. You should think about getting a stiffer boot than you normally would.
Very true point. I'm 175 lbs, hard skater, and can tear through a lower-mid level boot really fast. I almost feel bad for guys that big because they can rip skates to shreds in weeks...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 09:51 AM
  #14
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBeerGeek View Post
I'm a still fairly novice fat guy myself (about 6'3" and 270), and I ended up getting closeout Bauer Supreme 8090s around Christmas 2006 and they're still holding up pretty strong. I paid about $270, down from a price of $340 on the box.

While I can't recommend the specific model (sadly...they're long since gone...though maybe Bauer will bring them back in the next generation of gear; one can only hope!), I back the recommendation to get very stiff skates, which sadly means more expensive. You really do get what you pay for.
The supreme line still exists. It's like cars- model years. toyota isn't going to go back to the 87 Corolla. Way too much has changed since then.

Besides, the new skates are better. That's the point. the one 95,the current top supreme line skate, is amazing- besides being very durable, light and high performing, the thing has a composite that changes shape to your foot, it's not just the foam that molds.

It's a ridiculously good skate. No way they go back tot he 8090 from that.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 10:48 AM
  #15
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

It's a ridiculously good skate. No way they go back tot he 8090 from that.
To add. If you're looking for a Bauer 8090, check out the Supreme one70's. It's based off the 8090 and has the same fit.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.